Problems with my new Sony VPL VW-1000ES projector... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just hooked up my Sony 1000ES and I am having two issues with the picture. I am seeing a jitter or stutter in the motion of the picture that last for only a second or two and it happens several times in the movie. It is not like it is a hockey game with fast motion of the buck, but I notice it happening with a actor's face or body as he or she is talking to someone in the movie. This has happened on two different BRs and during a tv show.

Second we have also noticed that at some point during the movie the lips and the words do not match up. I hit pause and wait a second, hit play and they go back in sync for awhile then it happens again. To say that I am disappointed is putting it mildly.frown.gif

Any ideas before I call Sony on Monday? Has anyone had these problems with this projector? To verify that it is the Sony I might have to hook back up my Panny projector and watch it for an hour or two to see if the above happens but of course this will be a pain because it was not that easy to get the Sony in the projector box to begin with...

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

This article by projector central says in the second paragraph that the pre production Sony had some minor image problems that have been cleaned up. I am wondering if these are the same ones that I am having...

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/vpl-vw1000es/
post #3 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Another article that I googled that says early versions had a motion problem...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/sony-vpl-vw1000es-projector-review/12970

Just about half way down the article by the overhead shot of the Sony it says:

"Early samples of the VPL-VW1000ES were notable for image blur on fast motion from upscaled BDs. That issue now seems to have been put to bed. When Gosling puts pedal to metal, there’s no unnatural smooshing in the image."
post #4 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Search the long 1000ES thread for the latest software. Then enter the service menu, hit menu and look under info where you will find the various software your machine has. If they all match the software listed in the thread you are good. If not, send it back for the latest chips.

I once lost lip sync but i rebooted something to fix it, set top box, bluray, I don't remember exactly what. Only happened once to me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #5 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mark,

I will check to see which software update I have and go from there....

Thanks,

Jim
post #6 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Went through the menu screen and could not find which software edition I have.
post #7 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are about 7 or so chips and the info as to what version you have is in the info screen in the menu BUT you must enter the service menu first. I am going off of memory but with the machine on you hit enter,enter, left arrow, enter and you will get a prompt asking if you want to enter the service menu. Say yes. Call up menu and go to info screen. To exit, exit menu, do the enter, enter, left arrow, enter bit and say yes when prompted.there are a bunch of interesting things in the service menu that you get to by going to the last line in the service menu and pressing enter. under other there are test patterns which you must enable. the beauty is as long as you don't do a menu save, every thing goes back to the way it was before you entered. If you need help, just call me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Trek

For your reference, here's a link to post in the tread which mentions the latest ROM
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/3510#post_22615593

The rom version posted in that thread is:
SC ROM Version: SC1:01.05/SC2:01.02
NVM Version: 01/01.04
Sub Rom Version: 01.00
IP Rom Version: 01.02
DE Rom Version: 01.02

FYI, the version I have is:
SC ROM Version: SC1:01.07/SC2:01.03
NVM Version: 02/01.06
Sub Rom Version: 01.00
IP Rom Version: 01.03
DE Rom Version: 01.02

Alex
post #9 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. It looks like they have recently updated a lot of the software. How long ago did you get your projector? What's its serial number?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #10 of 48 Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Wow. It looks like they have recently updated a lot of the software. how long ago did you get your projector? What's its serial number?

I received it last last week as a replacement of a unit that was delivered the previous week. The new unit's serial number starts with 1110, while the older unit's serial number started with 1100. The older unit had the same rom versions (ie SC:01.05) that were posted in the thread. Interestingly, the new unit was shipped in a box labeled "VPL-VW1000ES2".

Alex
post #11 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mark and Alex,

Thanks for the update. This morning I will go up and try again to see if I can find the software update info. I was out with the wife in the afternoon yesterday and did not have time to get back to it. My serial number starts with 1110 so from what you said it must be one of the newer units.

Alex what was the reason that you sent the first projector back for?

Thanks,

Jim
post #12 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

I am also in the process of redesigning the projector box. I took out the old MA exhaust fans in front of the unit and added a Fantech exhaust fan in the attic with the intake in the back of the box.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Projector box with the Panny with its wood rails. A template of the diameter of the Sony lens opening on the front, just before cut out.

New cut out for the lens and custom made steel rails to support the unit. Had to go with 3/8" thick metal as the 1/8" sagged with the weight of the projector.eek.gif You can also see the new thermostat in the box to turn the exhaust fan on when it gets above 80F.

Redesigning the trap door for under the box.

There are cooling intake vents around the lens and underneath the front of the projector. Do they both pull in equal amounts of air or does one do more of the cooling then the other. I was thinking of not cutting an opening on the trap door which would not give as much air to the bottom front intakes.
post #13 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

I am also in the process of redesigning the projector box. I took out the old MA exhaust fans in front of the unit and added a Fantech exhaust fan in the attic with the intake in the back of the box.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Projector box with the Panny with its wood rails. A template of the diameter of the Sony lens opening on the front, just before cut out.

New cut out for the lens and custom made steel rails to support the unit. Had to go with 3/8" thick metal as the 1/8" sagged with the weight of the projector.eek.gif You can also see the new thermostat in the box to turn the exhaust fan on when it gets above 80F.

Redesigning the trap door for under the box.

There are cooling intake vents around the lens and underneath the front of the projector. Do they both pull in equal amounts of air or does one do more of the cooling then the other. I was thinking of not cutting an opening on the trap door which would not give as much air to the bottom front intakes.

That is a HUGE upgrade!!! The difference between the 2 projectors is literally night and day!!! Enjoy your new Sony!!!

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #14 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How are we going to find out what was changed, improved, added by the new software. Rob and Amy are now both gone from Sony. How is the ES2 different other than the new software? The software is on chips and I believe the only way of getting upgrade software (new chips) is to send the unit back for service. Is the new software appplicable to the ES as well as the ES2? My guess is that if you ship Sony the projector they will upgrade the chips no charge. I do not know anout free return freight. The angle here is the new chips must besides inproving somethings fixed some problem. We need to find out what the problem was. My unit has it. God. I can't stand it. I just can't stand the problem. It makes me so mad I can't even articulate it. So maybe I'll just send it in for a warranty fix (new chips). Sony pays return shipping on warranty work. Of course there may be a bug or two in the new chips. That might explain Trek's spotted problems. Who knows? Ain't this a great sport.

Science? Guesswork and ways to get the new chips for free. What a hobby.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #15 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mike,

I was unaware that you have noticed this problem with your Sony also. I will be calling Sony on Monday to find out what my next step in getting this problem resolved. I will post what happens when I have some more information.

Thanks,

Jim
post #16 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Frick or Fran? Mike and Mark used to work for AV Science together. This led to people mixing us up on the phone. I talked to you yesterday about me getting a Flamjet 200. Huh. I don't remember. Yyou sure it wasn't Mike you talked too. I am Mark.

Mike still works for AVS. I don't.

My projector is fine. I don't have any problems with it that I know of. But I want the latest and greatest software if it makes things better than they are. The software upgrades may be minor and have no real benefit under most operating conditions. Point is we have not a clue as to what the latest upgrades do. When or if we find out, they make something better than I HAVE ALWAYS SEEN THAT PROBLEM MR. SONY AND IT HAS ALWAYS DRIVEN ME CRAZY AND I NEED IT FIXED FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY.

Get it. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #17 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you going straight to the projector from your source?
post #18 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Frick or Fran? Mike and Mark used to work for AV Science together. This led to people mixing us up on the phone. I talked to you yesterday about me getting a Flamjet 200. Huh. I don't remember. Yyou sure it wasn't Mike you talked too. I am Mark.

Mike still works for AVS. I don't.

My projector is fine. I don't have any problems with it that I know of. But I want the latest and greatest software if it makes things better than they are. The software upgrades may be minor and have no real benefit under most operating conditions. Point is we have not a clue as to what the latest upgrades do. When or if we find out, they make something better than I HAVE ALWAYS SEEN THAT PROBLEM MR. SONY AND IT HAS ALWAYS DRIVEN ME CRAZY AND I NEED IT FIXED FOR FREE UNDER WARRANTY.

Get it. smile.gif

Mark, Sorry for the typo.... I got it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

Are you going straight to the projector from your source?

No my Oppo has the HDMI going to my D2V pre then another HDMI to the projector. I was not having this issue with the last projector....
post #19 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You should try it direct to see if that eliminates the problem. Tthe more you can narrow it down the better.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #20 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You should try it direct to see if that eliminates the problem. Tthe more you can narrow it down the better.

Good idea. Of course with all good ideas comes work. It is not very easy to get behind my equipment rack as a wall shelf must come out and all of the BR's must come off that unit.mad.gif I may wait until Friday because the Geek Squad will be here to reprogram my URC 980 remote and the install of my new Oppo BDP-103 will be accomplished at that time.

Or an easier solution is just hook up the Panny and watch it. If there is not jitter then it is the Sony...
post #21 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No. Not necessarily. It could be a compatability issue between the Sony and your processor.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #22 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No. Not necessarily. It could be a compatability issue between the Sony and your processor.

Thanks...
post #23 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Trek

Just out of curiousity, have you set "framelock on" on the D2V and verified that the D2V was outputting 24fps to the sony? I have a D2V as well and had a similar jitter problem. Setting framelock on solved the problem for me. Unfortunately the sony now has a problem locking on to the signal. I have to switch switch inputs back and forth from the remote to get it to lock. I've attributed the problems I've had to the D2V.

Alex
post #24 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The D2v is a nice unit though it has had its share of problems particularly with HDMI connectors. One doesn't want to plug and unplug things into them continually. Plus it has had some compatibilty problems. The frame lock should solve the jitter problem but if I have it right it may cause a loss of one frame being displayed about once every five minutes. Hardly a real problem.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #25 of 48 Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree the D2V is a nice unit, but it is also tempremental. I've had lock up, HDMI handshake issues, and the issue I mention regarding framelock. I had kept framelock off because switching inputs can be tempremental with framelock on.

Alex
post #26 of 48 Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

We watched a movie last night with no issues. I have been lucky that I have not experienced any HDMI switching problems in the past with the D2V. We will give the Sony a view more viewings and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim
post #27 of 48 Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I know your unit is newer than my first one but it did exactly what you are saying. The convergence was also off quite a bit. My replacement has never had any lip sync issues and the motion only jutters on panning shots which is normal to some extent I guess.
post #28 of 48 Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How far off was your convergence? Mine needs 4-7 ticks. Is that alot?

Alex
post #29 of 48 Old 03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

We watched a movie last night with no issues. I have been lucky that I have not experienced any HDMI switching problems in the past with the D2V. We will give the Sony a view more viewings and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim

You may also want to try out the avs hd 709 disk, which has some tests for interplaced and 24p motion

Alex
post #30 of 48 Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

How are we going to find out what was changed, improved, added by the new software. Rob and Amy are now both gone from Sony. How is the ES2 different other than the new software? The software is on chips and I believe the only way of getting upgrade software (new chips) is to send the unit back for service. Is the new software appplicable to the ES as well as the ES2? My guess is that if you ship Sony the projector they will upgrade the chips no charge. I do not know anout free return freight. The angle here is the new chips must besides inproving somethings fixed some problem. We need to find out what the problem was. My unit has it. God. I can't stand it. I just can't stand the problem. It makes me so mad I can't even articulate it. So maybe I'll just send it in for a warranty fix (new chips). Sony pays return shipping on warranty work. Of course there may be a bug or two in the new chips. That might explain Trek's spotted problems. Who knows? Ain't this a great sport.

Science? Guesswork and ways to get the new chips for free. What a hobby.

What I am being told, the ES2 designation is a packaging change not a software change.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page