What kind of carpet/rug is best for minimizing screen reflection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Epson 6010, with a 110" screen in my somewhat small room. I am modifying the room bit-by-bit to make it more light-controlled, but putting velvet on the floor isn't exactly the most practical thing to do. Here is a pic of where I'd like it:

Is there a particular type/brand of rug or carpet that would work best? Or is anything ok so long as it's dark? I'd prefer something at least 8' by 7'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
On a bit of a budget? I shopped around for a few rugs and was about to give in and drop $350-500 since all the quality rugs seemed to cost around that much. Shopping on overstock.com I was always hesitant to pull the trigger without being able to first see the rug in person (how black is that black?).

Happened to be in an IKEA one day and just said screw it, I didn't need a fancy rug and this one looks passable. The black is SO black and my shadow detail improved immediately. The density of the fibers leaves something to be desired (its too sparse) but on the plus side they haven't been pulled out by my vacuum cleaner and it looks just like the day I bought it. I actually got two of the largest size and sewed them together to make one huge one.

For the price I couldn't beat it, and one day when I have a dedicated theater room in a house I own I'll install dark carpet from the get-go smile.gif

As with most synthetic rugs, there is an odor (I think its the government required flame retardant) for the first few days after you unroll / unwrap it. Opening a window and just putting up with it for a few days was no big deal for me, and now it only smells if you stick your nose in the fibers.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00124152/#/30146812
lexlynx likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that looks great! I had been on IKEA.com a while back, but I didn't see that rug. And good guessingm that I'm on a bit of a budget- I guess my expertly-hidden audio cable gave it away
post #4 of 9 Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan View Post

On a bit of a budget? I shopped around for a few rugs and was about to give in and drop $350-500 since all the quality rugs seemed to cost around that much. Shopping on overstock.com I was always hesitant to pull the trigger without being able to first see the rug in person (how black is that black?).

Happened to be in an IKEA one day and just said screw it, I didn't need a fancy rug and this one looks passable. The black is SO black and my shadow detail improved immediately. The density of the fibers leaves something to be desired (its too sparse) but on the plus side they haven't been pulled out by my vacuum cleaner and it looks just like the day I bought it. I actually got two of the largest size and sewed them together to make one huge one.

For the price I couldn't beat it, and one day when I have a dedicated theater room in a house I own I'll install dark carpet from the get-go smile.gif

As with most synthetic rugs, there is an odor (I think its the government required flame retardant) for the first few days after you unroll / unwrap it. Opening a window and just putting up with it for a few days was no big deal for me, and now it only smells if you stick your nose in the fibers.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00124152/#/30146812

Could you post a picture of you smelling the carpet now? smile.gifsmile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #5 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

On a related note, does anyone know of any cheap-but-effective velvet drapes I could use for the back wall, and possibly the sides?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Walmart has black rugs too ( on - line order only ). Amazon has black velvet curtains -
http://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Velvet-Blackout-Panel-Curtain/dp/B002E1AXV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363297037&sr=8-1&keywords=velvet+curtains

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Walmart has black rugs too ( on - line order only ). Amazon has black velvet curtains -
http://www.amazon.com/Maytex-Velvet-Blackout-Panel-Curtain/dp/B002E1AXV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363297037&sr=8-1&keywords=velvet+curtains

I've seen a similar choice in curtains at Walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Velvet-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain-Panel-Red/5555770 Customer reviews have indicated that the 40" width refers to the maximum width, but in its normal, billowed form, it is only about 20" across.

Is it possible to stretch curtains like this so that they are at their full 40" length? Since the lights will be off, it won't matter if they no longer hold the appealing form of normal curtains.

I think they are like these blackout drapes I have, which I do indeed stretch flat (with the help of some judiciously-applied velcro pads):

post #8 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
but putting velvet on the floor isn't exactly the most practical thing to do.

Why not?

I went to JoAnn Fabrics, bought 3 yards of black velvet, and laid it out, like a rug, underneath my screen. Works really well, and cost me ~$10.

For super-cheap curtains/draps... look into the same thing (or velveteen, it looks less ghetto), and with some well placed push-pins, you can make it look "nice".

Tim
post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

ahem...Because my home theater room is also my bedroom, and study. I just got about 12 yards of 40" velvet for $100 from syfabrics.com that I'm covering the front half of my ceiling with (but in a way that allows me to pull it to the side during the day), in addition to covering the table, center speaker, and subwoofer in the first pic. I'd have to get about 5 or 6 of those 40" wide curtains for the entire back wall which is entirely lit up, as I have posted below (the little squares on the top of the wall are pieces of duct tape from when I tried using black bedsheets on the wall, and didn't notice any difference):

Note the only light source in the room is the projected image on the wall opposite this one.

And the reason that bed post is missing is due not to dilapidation, but because unscrewing it makes my seating situation slightly less awkward.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page