Completely Mixed Up! Epson and JVC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay folks... I'm totally confused.

My 3.5 year old Epson 6500UB has banding issues and I thought I had decided to replace the unit with either an Epson 8700 or 9700UB (used).
But now I'm thinking I should look at upgrading and this is where the trouble begins. I can't seem to sort through all the bits of conflicting information out there in the projector world.

It has been suggested to me that the JVC DLA X35 would be an amazing step up and for the $3k mark includes 2 pair of glasses, Emitter, an extra bulb and a 3 year warranty. However, another person suggested that I would be very disappointed in the colours and the brightness of the JVC compared even to my 4 year old Epson!

I also received a suggestion to consider a refurbished Optoma HD8600 for less than $2k with a 2 year warranty for an extra $100.

Presently, I watch a lot of HD cable and BluRay movies (no gamin) and use a 106" fixed frame Elite Screen (white) and sit 13' from the screen in a light controlled environment. I also want to stay at or below the $3k price pointt.

Can someone please point me in the right direction or at least tell me where and how I can reveal the truth?

Oh yeah, one more thing... there aren't any JVC Dealers in my City to demo me the X35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I don't know about "amazing" step up, but you will definitely notice the difference in contrast and black level over your Epson with the JVC. I've owned the same Epson model you currently have and moving to the JVC would be a good idea. I wouldn't recommend the Optoma because it doesn't have a dynamic iris implementation that is particularly good. There are several professional (and user) reviews that express this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think that a used 9700UB would be a good choice, provided I get it at a good price and there's some warranty left?
I'm assuming the picture quality of the 9700 would be very close to my 6500.

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The 8700/9700 is a good upgrade, but not a giant leap over the 6500ub other than contrast (the 8700/9700 is better in bright scenes and dark scenes actually). Some 8700/9700's are sharper than most 6500ub's, but that really depends on luck of the draw. I owned the 8500ub briefly, and have experience with the 8700ub as well, and the Epson 5010. The 5010 is the best of the 3 because it has convergence adjustment and a brighter best mode, and it's slightly easier to calibrate more accurately, though you still have to watch the sat tracking. I own a JVC RS-45 and Benq w7000 right now.

If you are just looking for the best 2d image for movies and not worried about lag in FPS type games, then you're not going to do that much better than a B-Stock JVC at that price (or B-Stock Sony if you want low gaming lag). The hd8600's IRIS might not bother you, it's hard to say, but Seegs is right, it's not going to be a Sony or Runco quality IRIS where it actually is on target most of the time. I've seen some BAD IRIS's in my day, mainly they just get a bit distracting, sometimes they are bad enough where they don't help much, but usually they still work just with visible distractions.

If it were me, I would go B-Stock JVC over an Epson every day of the week and on Sundays. The Epson is pretty cool, but it's not going to produce as clean looking and as film-like of an image as the Sony or JVC which have a much higher pixel fill. The Epson actually does POP more sometimes if you're into that sort of thing, but the POP comes with a price of inconsistency and sometimes it will suddenly look flatter than the other techs. It's hard to explain, POPs more one moment, flat the next, whereas the JVC is always consistent most of the time (on a good clean source anyways). DLP does POP SLIGHTLY more consistently in bright scenes over both other techs, but it's not a huge difference these days if you calibrate the JVC correctly. The JVC will occasionally look flatter than a DLP. but it all depends on the source most of the time.

Let me summarize by saying this, if you are not going to spend time calibrating, I probably wouldn't even go with the JVC either, get the Sony instead, it looks better OOTB without calibration (in bright scenes at least). The JVC is a tricky beast to get the full potential out of, and it's not just because of color either (which is its own issue), but it's just a multitude of things.

JVC or Sony over Epson though, IMHO...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #5 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Let me summarize by saying this, if you are not going to spend time calibrating, I probably wouldn't even go with the JVC either, get the Sony instead, it looks better OOTB without calibration (in bright scenes at least). The JVC is a tricky beast to get the full potential out of, and it's not just because of color either (which is its own issue), but it's just a multitude of things.

JVC or Sony over Epson though, IMHO...

+1.

After playing with literally 20 projectors with various technologies in the last 12 years, I'm very happy in my 2D world, a JVC RS20 or a Sony VW85. I would look for a 1080p Mitsubishi 4000 as a backup (mine is a 720p Mitsu hc3000). I'm a true believer in the LCoS execution.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6500ub Home Theater Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9700ub Projector 3lcd 3 Chip Technology , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 9700ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page