Having trouble deciding on a projector for a large wall in basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post so be kind.
I am new to the projector game and have a tight budget. I have read on project central how to paint the wall cheap and will do that at the start and later get a screeen. I went into the house while they did the framing and ran power and audio cables for my system when I get to move into my new house. I will be moving at the end of June. I have been reading alot over the last few weeks and have been gathering alot of information on these forums and reviews of projectors around the web. I might be able to squeeze extra cash out of the misses if there is a good reason for it but I want it to really be worth it. Money is a bit tight given just buying the house so it has to be a real benefit.

The projector will be about 20-22 feet away from the wall. The basement room it will be in will have very little ambient lightning and since I am not there now I cannot say how much. The screeen size will be max 8 feet tall but not sure how wide I should go (we basically have this one spot that would look good if almost the entire wall is covered so I was thinking a 16x9 view which would fill the area nicely but would need to lower height to do a wider screen).

I will be doing some dvd, blue ray3d, regular hdtv but the main goal of this projector will be to watch movies as kind of a showcase for kid and adult parties. The house is brand new and very big. I have a 60 inch samsung led for the kids in another room in the basement for their game systems (not to say I won't put a system on the projector for fun to test it once in a while if it looks good). There will be a 55 inch panaonic plasma in the great room for adult chilling area for more formal gatherings. So basically it will be in the main open area in the basement but I have control on how I can setup the lighting to try to control how dark it is in there.

I am in Canada and have a store that has these prices as of now and many of these will change so may be doing something else later
epson 5020- $2600 from usa seller will cost more (basically these add about 200 extra in general and also cause problems for warranty and return issues sometimes when I buy in states)
sony h50- $3400 from usa seller to will cost more
panasonic 8000- 2899 in canada store
jvc x55 - price 3999 in canada store
jvc x35 2999 in canada store
Currently I was thinking between the x55/x35 and the panasonic. I saw the panny demo'd at the screen size and viewing distance and it seemed good but it was only in 2d and kids where acting up so I could not stay long but blacks and colour looked nice. I personally think the jvc is way better from all the reviews and comments and the e-shift2 sounds like it might be nice but I not sure how effective the jvc is from that far on a big wall with not perfect lighting (not sure at this moment how well I can control it). Would know more once I get the house. The windows are easy to block out and the projector is in opposite area of the stairs and it should be easy to control (was pitch dark when we installed in there using flashlights to run wire during the framing on the weekend so I know it can get dark there).
I don't have a darbee and again ordering in Canada often has a few extra charges so may want the x55 over the x35 as some say the x35 is good with a darbee to give a similar effect as the eshift.

All comments welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

also was wondering about 3d goggles. The plasma is the TCP55UT50 and the 2012 plasma panasonic glasses are not complatible with the panasonic 8000 projector (go figure). So I did a bit of checking and one of the first ones I found 3d glasses unlimited said the G5 and G7 models are confirmed to work with the panasonic plasma and also work with many other projectors. She checked and the JVC is listed as a not tested but suspected as working and she had some orders that she had someone confirm with an x55 that the ir emitter does not work but the glasses did.

So the other thing is once I pick the projector will have to see what glasses to get so woud also like suggestions there as well. Ideally they would work with both the plasma and the projector but not really a necessity. Also, I was told that the rf is better for 3d so if that is true then would go that route. My wife is very picky for 3d and has trouble even watching some movies at the theatre in 3d. Me and the kids are fine. I think whatever we do will need at least 1 pair of 3d glasses that can show the 3d image in 2d for the misses.

again, any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
You should check out zombie's thread. He compares most of the projectors you mention. If you intend to go really big, the Epson is the brightest of the bunch, but even it might not be bright enough for a screen that huge. You might want to think about going smaller. The JVCs will be very dim in 3D mode at anything close to the size you mention. They'll also ghost more. Zombie and others do not rate the Panasonic 8000 highly for 3D. Quite the opposite. Contrast is also suspect. The new Epson's use RF and should work with the universal RF 3D glasses, but confirm that. I have the Epson 6010 from last year. I believe the Sony HW50 is IR only.

Bottom line, the JVCs can't be beat for contrast, but 3D is dimmer and ghosting probably will be more of a problem. Since you seem to be into 3D, you should look closely at the Sony or the Epson, and think about going smaller. 8' high is a really big image. Even if it's acceptable when the lamp is new, as the lamp ages it will get a lot dimmer. Since you won't get a screen for a while, experiment with different sizes and see what you think.

Joe Clark

post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

All my opinions on most of the projectors are from knowing what I like at a theatre versus what I see in different tvs (led, plasma, lcd which I have all 3 in my house now). THen taking that and reading the comments in forums and reviews.

I read that thread and the threads about the x55 and some of the owners threads. My concern is that in that review it highlights the sony which currently I cannot get a good price on but it looks good. Second, it seems to not give as good praise in the review of the jvc compared to some of the other reviews (seems many trying to jump on the sony side on that thread). Third, the panasonic is an interesting one as it gets many mixed reviews. SOme love and some hate. One of the keys I think is that many say it is very hard to calibrate and so it could be that the difference is that many have not calibrated it and it comes out of the box not as good but was stated it can calibrate well (although 3d issues not as good to eliminate). Yes, it is having issues so that is why I am not sure but I really like the motorized options as I would like to be able to adjust as I might change inputs devices alot and be able to change automatically might be good. Fourth I leaning towards teh x55 as I liked the pics from Gils room here:
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avmagazine.it%2Fforum%2F79-installazioni-audio-amp-ht%2F209777-gil-theatre
The eshift 2 looks pretty good and he has a fairly large screen. But it is a dedicated theatre. I like the crystal clear but nice colour image you see when the eshift2 is on. It is too aggresive in some pics but those are uncalibrated pics right out of the box so I could get a good compromise image with adjusting. I love nice blacks and one thing I like about jvc is that I know I find in many movies is I hate when there is a scene with mixed light and one part is adjusted correctly and the rest is not (the native iris is nice). My preference so far would be a x35 with a darbee or x55 with eshift 2.

The other options is new ones coming out that may change my mind. I was intrigued at the w1070 for example a dlp that was in some ways comparable to more expensive projectors in 3d and performance. I just worry about it not being good all around. We like quality and will get frustrated with something that just does not work well in the end. I can play games on the 60 inch led. I want to watch hdtv, dvd, and 3dblu rays on this but not sure currently how often we would watch the 3d. Knowing the kids would probably be alot for them but not us. It is a consideration as if the 3d is great we would watch it alot but if not great we would not watch at all.

i won't be buying for a while and can't get into the house. I not completely sold on the size of the screen. One thing I can't change is the distance of the projector from the wall. Is will be about 21 feet from the wall but that said that does leave room for how big the screen is.

I was actually thinking about it again and will actually have to lower the size a bit anyway. The room height is just over 8 feet but the width in htat space is only going to be about 12 feet as I forgot there is going to be a bar in the other section (in future plans) and the duct work and the setup of the area makes it basically only 12 feet wide would be the area to use. So that being said a screen height of 6.75 feet with a width of 12 feet would give a proper 16 by 9 screen size. When walls are finished and all will probably end with height of 6.5 feet to leave space for black painted border.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page