Help Me Choose - HW50, 6020UB, AE8000, DLA-X35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking at building a DIY home theatre in a house I just bought. I would be converting a suite into a basement HT. The suite has one small 2x3' window with blinds adjacent to the screen but my main use would be for watching movies (2D and 3D) and sports (only 2D in Canada) during the evening as I am busy during the day.

Dimensions: the room is 12x19x9'H (living room) and it has 8'10" of wall space for a screen. I'm thinking of a 100" or less screen so I can put speakers to the left and right of it and mount the screen lower for easy viewing from my recliners.

Q: What screen height should I aim for?

With regards to criteria, I would say my priorities are as follows, in order of importance:

1) Black Level
2) Quietness of Operation During 3D, dark scenes. Having a noticeable noise from the pj would ruin it for me.
3) Color Accuracy
4) Sharpness (could this be increased with the Darblet?)
5) Warranty/Availability/Reliability. I can get the Epson 6020 locally for 3300 which is a big deal for warranty. Not sure about the others.

With those criteria in mind, what would you suggest?

Also is there a consensus on good value screens? I would like to keep this project under $4k.

Just watching Cnet, I am probably leaning towards the X35 if I can find it locally.

Thanks,
Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The Feb/Mar issue of Sound and Vision just did a write up on the JVC, Sony, and a Epson 5020. Blacks/contrast to the JVC, Color, and quietness to the Sony, 3D/brightness to the Epson. No clear winner as they each have some strengths but, a mention of him turning on the JVC to watch when it was done....

One thing I liked in the article about the Sony, which may be worth the extra price for some people? It takes the 3-2 sequence in 1080i content, (cable etc.) and dumps the 3:2 cadence, taking the original 24 fps content and doing a 10:10 pulldown to match the 240 hz refresh rate of the pj's SXRD panels. Sounds like a nice idea for 1080i content users. I own a 6010, and I know the Epson is a little loud in 3D mode, sounds like the Sony may be what your looking for, unless you want the very best blacks? Hopefully Mike can help ya find a good deal.
DrZaus likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I got a chance to view a Sony HW50ES for 5 hours over the weekend. It is a great all-around projector. There really isn't one major fault or flaw with it. If I were choosing between all three I'd go with the Sony as I think it's slightly a better experience over what the low end JVC offers. After seeing LCOS on the Sony and JVC I don't think I could own an LCD based projector again. Not because there is something wrong with LCD, I just think picture quality wise, DLP and LCOS offer a much better experience. Higher end DLP and LCOS it is for me from now on.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks jnabq and Seegs108.

I'm fighting to accept that the Sony is probably the best all-rounder...although I read through most of Zombie10k's thread and came to that conclusion as well.

So it's either the Sony or a two projection system comprising a used JVC for 2D and an Optoma HD33/BenQ W7000 for 3D.

I think I should just buck up for the Sony instead of trying to save a few loonies.

Problem is that the local dealer only carries Epson lol...time for a road trip me thinks.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I got a chance to view a Sony HW50ES for 5 hours over the weekend. It is a great all-around projector. There really isn't one major fault or flaw with it. If I were choosing between all three I'd go with the Sony as I think it's slightly a better experience over what the low end JVC offers. After seeing LCOS on the Sony and JVC I don't think I could own an LCD based projector again. Not because there is something wrong with LCD, I just think picture quality wise, DLP and LCOS offer a much better experience. Higher end DLP and LCOS it is for me from now on.

Seegs108 can you comment on what aspects of the picture you feel the LCD does not compare?
Colour, contrast, motion, sharpness, fatigue.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's actually none of those aspects. LCOS has a specific look to it. It has a very natural organic "analog" look that LCD and DLP can't match. I still prefer the look of higher end DLPs (my personal preference) but I think the LCOS looks nicer than LCD. LCD looks the most digital to me and the least "film like" over all.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It's actually none of those aspects. LCOS has a specific look to it. It has a very natural organic "analog" look that LCD and DLP can't match. I still prefer the look of higher end DLPs (my personal preference) but I think the LCOS looks nicer than LCD. LCD looks the most digital to me and the least "film like" over all.

Seegs are you talking about screen door effect (SDE) or something else?

n8dgr84, if you care about SDE, I can tell you the Panasonic's smooth screen technology actually works, while the Epson's SDE is quite noticeable. Can't speak for the other projectors.

You also asked about noise. Epson was a lot noisier than the Panasonic, which is very quiet. I ended up choosing Panasonic over Epson mainly because of the noise issue, and in spite of the fact that the Epsons seem to have better optics, meaning focus and color uniformity.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

No, what I'm talking about is without taking SDE into consideration.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page