Any idea when/if Sony will be releasing a successor to the vpl-vw95? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Buddy, you need to relax. I made it clear that I was talking about bad experiences with older models. I also said SEVERAL times now that I'm sure JVC has improved upon their technology. The whole point of my post was that Sony does it better. THAT IS ALL. After all he is curious about the Sony successor.
Seegs108 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Re-read my posts. I never claimed that the JVC motion handling was just as good as Sony's. I pointed out one test (that Zombie also pointed out) that indicated the relative performance is now similar. Regardless, all I ever claimed was that the X3's performance is not a reliable indicator of current-model JVC motion performance since current JVC motion performance is vastly improved...i.e. it no longer sucks. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Are you telling me there has been a "vast" improvement between the RS45 and RS46/RS4810? I know you mentioned the vast improvement was between the X3 and current JVCs, but I can say that there was absolutely ZERO improvement in motion between my RS40 (X3) and RS45. If a vast improvement was made, it would have to be between the 45 and new models which would not make sense considering they are the same 120hz, same CMD, etc.....I also have not read of motion being improved on this years models until your post so I am curious if this is first hand info (you tested the 4810 vs one of last years models) or something you read somewhere?

For the record, I have never had an issue with motion on either my 40 or 45. I also use a Benq 7000 which is said to have superior native motion to the JVC projectors and I just dont see a major or vast difference between this DLP and my 45. In light of all that, how could the new JVCs be a "vast" improvement over the old models if there is not even a vast difference between a supposedly superior DLP and my 45?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #33 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
If you read the JVC website, it lists that the RS45 has the new "Upgraded optical engine and driver for smoother gradations and reduced motion blur". You aren't seeing any difference?
Seegs108 is online now  
post #34 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If you read the JVC website, it lists that the RS45 has the new "Upgraded optical engine and driver for smoother gradations and reduced motion blur". You aren't seeing any difference?

I saw absolutely ZERO difference in motion going between my RS40 and RS45. Those two generations and this current gen have the same 120hz and the same CMD. That upgraded optical engine was first introduced in the RS40 if I remember correctly anyway and that was the year they also improved the CMD. I did notice a difference in motion going from my RS1 to RS40, but there is literally NO difference that I noticed going from the 40 to 45 and we know this years models are also 120hz and have the same CMD......how could there be a difference?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #35 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Interesting. I was thinking of picking up an X30 or RS45 to see if this upgraded optical engine was the real deal or not, but I think you just squashed my hopes that it's better.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #36 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Interesting. I was thinking of picking up an X30 or RS45 to see if this upgraded optical engine was the real deal or not, but I think you just squashed my hopes that it's better.


I know the year I bought the RS40 JVC was touting the improved motion and CMD and it certainly was vs my RS1 and I would swear this was the year the improved optical engine was first introduced. Going from the 40 to 45, I dont remember ANY difference claimed or otherwise from JVC marketing on this. I feel very confident in saying that there is literally no difference in motion between the 40 and 45 though so if you have seen a 40 in motion, that is what you will get with the 45 and I assume the current models since no change has been made in this area to my knowledge from the 45 to this years models.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #37 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticfish View Post



Room is 21' 6" long. 2 rows of seating @ 13' and @ 17'. Room is completely light controlled with dark walls& black ceiling, carpet is dark grey. Current screen is 100" 16x9. Planning to install a 128" 2.35:1 carada brilliant white screen.

I would get the screen first and see how you like the brightness with the HW50 and the larger screen. The HW50 with a D65 calibration is ~ 1000 lumens. The 4810 will be dimmer and the VW95 a bit dimmer than the 4810 in best mode.
zombie10k is online now  
post #38 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I know the year I bought the RS40 JVC was touting the improved motion and CMD and it certainly was vs my RS1 and I would swear this was the year the improved optical engine was first introduced. Going from the 40 to 45, I dont remember ANY difference claimed or otherwise from JVC marketing on this. I feel very confident in saying that there is literally no difference in motion between the 40 and 45 though so if you have seen a 40 in motion, that is what you will get with the 45 and I assume the current models since no change has been made in this area to my knowledge from the 45 to this years models.

Good to know!
Seegs108 is online now  
post #39 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Plasticfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote: I would get the screen first and see how you like the brightness with the HW50 and the larger screen. The HW50 with a D65 calibration is ~ 1000 lumens. The 4810 will be dimmer and the VW95 a bit dimmer than the 4810 in best mode


Thanks Zombie. I don't actually own a HW50 (i have a VW 50...Pearl), I'm looking to upgrade. I thought the HW50 is out of the question because there is no lens memory.

Up until yesterday, I've never really considered a JVC....what confuses me about JVC is that they have 2 lines of projectors, (pro and and consumer). Does the 4810 (pro side) have a "sister PJ" on the consumer side that is essentially the same? It would be helpful when researching other reviews.

Also, since JVC seems to have recently released new lines (compared to the VW95)....it seems to me that JVC has more up-to-date technology, so if the impatience for a new PJ wins out and I don't wait for the latest from Sony, then I should be getting the best bang for my buck buying a new JVC instead of the VPL95....does that logic hold water?

One final thought, the X-75 from JVC seems to be in roughly the same price range as the 95....should I also be considering it?
Plasticfish is offline  
post #40 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The 2 different product lines are just marketing, the models are identical. (X55/RS4810, X75/RS56).

I thought you had the HW50, any of these models being discussed will be a nice upgrade to the VW50. The X75 advantages over the X55 are mainly the extra contrast and the auto-calibration which is a nice feature if you don't have calibration equipment.

The e-shift process will look great on the larger screen. It's still worth adding a Darbee since it works well with the e-shift.
zombie10k is online now  
post #41 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Buddy, you need to relax. I made it clear that I was talking about bad experiences with older models. I also said SEVERAL times now that I'm sure JVC has improved upon their technology. The whole point of my post was that Sony does it better. THAT IS ALL. After all he is curious about the Sony successor.
Fair enough. And I'm perfectly relaxed. wink.gif

FWIW, I haven't seen any JVC projectors other than the RS46 and RS4810. I'm simply relaying others' anecdotal statements and reviews I've read.

The bottom line is that if I were the OP I wouldn't rule out a JVC projector based simply on motion performance. I know motion performance used to be a significant problem with JVC projectors but in the reviews I've read it isn't mentioned as an issue any more. I certainly don't consider it to be a drawback from what I've seen, and others who've seen the HW50 and the JVC side-by-side seem to agree.

I upgraded to my RS4810 from a Sony VPL-VW60 and I haven't noticed any problems at all with motion on my JVC relative to the older Sony -- and the JVC's picture is so superior to the Sony's in so many ways there's just no contest -- as there shouldn't be considering my Sony is almost six years old.
Schwa is offline  
post #42 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Are you telling me there has been a "vast" improvement between the RS45 and RS46/RS4810? I know you mentioned the vast improvement was between the X3 and current JVCs, but I can say that there was absolutely ZERO improvement in motion between my RS40 (X3) and RS45. If a vast improvement was made, it would have to be between the 45 and new models which would not make sense considering they are the same 120hz, same CMD, etc.....I also have not read of motion being improved on this years models until your post so I am curious if this is first hand info (you tested the 4810 vs one of last years models) or something you read somewhere?

For the record, I have never had an issue with motion on either my 40 or 45. I also use a Benq 7000 which is said to have superior native motion to the JVC projectors and I just dont see a major or vast difference between this DLP and my 45. In light of all that, how could the new JVCs be a "vast" improvement over the old models if there is not even a vast difference between a supposedly superior DLP and my 45?
I remember watching Cowboys ans Aliens on the jvc rs55 and the motion at the beginning of the movie with the cameras panning gave me a headache. The CMD made it look much better but other parts of the movie, the artifacts with it on made the CMD not usable. Then, I watched the same movie at the beginning with the W7000, same motion problems. Basically, 1080p24 looked the same to me. It would be hard for me to think the Sony would look better with 1080p24 material
blee0120 is offline  
post #43 of 49 Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Fair enough. And I'm perfectly relaxed. wink.gif

FWIW, I haven't seen any JVC projectors other than the RS46 and RS4810. I'm simply relaying others' anecdotal statements and reviews I've read.

The bottom line is that if I were the OP I wouldn't rule out a JVC projector based simply on motion performance. I know motion performance used to be a significant problem with JVC projectors but in the reviews I've read it isn't mentioned as an issue any more. I certainly don't consider it to be a drawback from what I've seen, and others who've seen the HW50 and the JVC side-by-side seem to agree.

I upgraded to my RS4810 from a Sony VPL-VW60 and I haven't noticed any problems at all with motion on my JVC relative to the older Sony -- and the JVC's picture is so superior to the Sony's in so many ways there's just no contest -- as there shouldn't be considering my Sony is almost six years old.

It depends on the person. You and others may think its fine and not an issue but for me, I seem to notice it more than others. I suspect that there are others out there like me who see it as well (from many posts I've read, there are). If you don't and it doesn't bother you then more power to you. Enjoy it.

I just personally can't own one for that reason alone. Its simply too distracting for me. I'm just offering an opinion from what I've seen to someone who is in the market for one and may see the issue as well.

Regarding your upgrade. That Sony model doesn't have the new 1080p SXRD panels so it isn't really a good comparison.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #44 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have been away for a few days doing a mega high end install in a man cave house in eastern long island. Projectors and screen won't be installed until early summer I suspect. a 600 mile RT to the site every time I go and I go about once per month. We are dealing with a mega buck projector lift right now.

The Sony projector is going to be a price break through and it has a built in 4TB server. Pricing and further detailed specs are expected April 1st. We were hoping for around $40K but I suspect it may come out in the $50K plus range. A company I am with will be selling it.

It should be a hell of a machine but your screen better be really big. It has something like 6000 lumens and will require a booth to muffle the noise and it will need a cool air intake and a hot air exhaust venting to the outside.

I have updated the post. We should have pricing and further details on April 1st.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #45 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Grifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Italy
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have updated the post. We should have pricing and further details on April 1st.

are you talking about the 1000 successor:eek:?!!
led, laser?
Grifo is offline  
post #46 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 314
He's referring to the Sony SRX-R515.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #47 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Grifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Italy
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
and is it a cinema projector?
Grifo is offline  
post #48 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Yes. But certain high end HT guys will be getting it. And 4K DCI content will be available for it but that's another story. You can call me if you like next week for more details etc.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #49 of 49 Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I think the Sony is better for motion then the JVC, but at least the new JVC models got rid of the horrible colour fringing that plagued the pre RS50 models. Remember the zebra stripes.biggrin.gif The Sony 50es is a really nice unit but I'm also waiting for the vw95 successor.
conan48 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off