"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1158 Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I'm just waiting for my wife to go on a business trip so I can paint another wall or two flat black................wink.gif

Good plan, but it would be a much more interesting story if you did it while she was there. biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1158 Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Good plan, but it would be a much more interesting story if you did it while she was there. biggrin.gif

I don't know, I think filming the return could be interesting as well. tongue.gif Honestly though I think black walls looks really nice even without a projector.
Toe likes this.
post #453 of 1158 Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
The fun is seeing how long it takes before she notices. With the lights dimmed down low before and after movies, its hard to see much of anything in there !! biggrin.gif
Toe likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #454 of 1158 Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

The fun is seeing how long it takes before she notices. With the lights dimmed down low before and after movies, its hard to see much of anything in there !! biggrin.gif

Just hold on there dear.... let me get the lights before we go in. cool.gif
post #455 of 1158 Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I get a free pass to do whatever in our theater ( within reason ), and that is all the room is used for, so no it's not a problem.

Painting the front soffit over the screen flat black ( while my wife was out of town ) did help disguise the fact I'd installed height speakers ( also while my wife was out of town ). biggrin.gif

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #456 of 1158 Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just a heads-up; Joann has a Veteran's Day sale good through today. Royalty Velvet is $7.50. They also have a 50% off one item coupon, but unfortunately it's only good on regular priced items -- so no $3.25/yd velvet, unless you are a fast talker maybe.
post #457 of 1158 Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Just a heads-up; Joann has a Veteran's Day sale good through today. Royalty Velvet is $7.50. They also have a 50% off one item coupon, but unfortunately it's only good on regular priced items -- so no $3.25/yd velvet, unless you are a fast talker maybe.

Thanks for the info. How much is the Royalty Velvet usually? I need a small amount to finish off a few areas.

It is amazing what little tweaks will do. I finished off my black metal frames completely (they have been partially done for months now as I ran out of protostar, but got another sheet this week) a few days ago on my wall sound traps which put off a glare during movies and just that small tweak made a nice noticeable difference as far as less eye catching distractions and sucking you into the screen/presentation that much more.

post #458 of 1158 Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Royalty is normally $15.

I actually went to the store and the Royalty was on sale for $9. Since it was on sale, they wouldn't take the coupon, nor would they match the $7.50 website price without a printout as proof.

I ended up ordering it from the website. The site also has a promo code on the front page for free shipping on orders over $50, so I got 14 yards for $111 including tax. Actually an even better deal because I used Joann giftcards I bought at Lowes with Amex's $10 off $50 Lowes deal (I used two Amex cards). So total for me was $91.
Toe likes this.
post #459 of 1158 Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Cool! Thanks again. I might run over there with a printout as I don't need too much.

post #460 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Hey guys,
I want to cover the side walls,top and floor with black velvet. I don't know how far I need to cover though. My room is 142" wide and 8 feet high ceiling. I am in the middle of installing 2.35 ration screen that is 134" wide. Adding 3.5" for the borders, screen occupies 140" of width.
How much should I cover the area in front of the screen to completely absorb the light?

thanks.
post #461 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post

Hey guys,
I want to cover the side walls,top and floor with black velvet. I don't know how far I need to cover though. My room is 142" wide and 8 feet high ceiling. I am in the middle of installing 2.35 ration screen that is 134" wide. Adding 3.5" for the borders, screen occupies 140" of width.
How much should I cover the area in front of the screen to completely absorb the light?

thanks.
If you are asking the minimum amount needed, that is about 5'. The more the better. Ceiling is the biggest offender as your screen is closest to the ceiling.
post #462 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

If you are asking the minimum amount needed, that is about 5'. The more the better. Ceiling is the biggest offender as your screen is closest to the ceiling.

Jo-Ann has it but they only come in 45 inches in width. This hardly makes up about 4 feet. To make it 5, I'd have to join them. Any ideas how to join them without making the joins visible?
I have read so far 8 pages of this thread but haven't found out yet about how to put it on the ceiling?
My screen will be surrounding from top and bottom with black cotton. I didn't know before if it should be velvet. I bought black cotton cloth that has no see through. I hope it won't stand out when compared to black velvet.
post #463 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Agreed. Also, it is not just about killing off the light, but blacking out the room from any visual distractions that take your focus away from the screen. In light of that, ideally you would want to cover everything that is in your field of vision, but if you cant do that, just do as much as you can. As Airscapes says, the more the better.

post #464 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed. Also, it is not just about killing off the light, but blacking out the room from any visual distractions that take your focus away from the screen. In light of that, ideally you would want to cover everything that is in your field of vision, but if you cant do that, just do as much as you can. As Airscapes says, the more the better.

I currently have StudioTek 130 screen and now changing it to Seymore AT screen. So now everything is behind the screen and there is nothing in the middle of seats and new screen. I do want to get the immersive experience. Therefore, I went to with AT screen, blacked out top and bottom and now on my way to cover sides and ceiling and floor.
post #465 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

Indeed. There are those who pine for huge flat screen TVs as a replacement for projection, with one advantage touted as finally being able to watch with the lights on. That to me, at least for movies, is actually the opposite direction I'd wish to go. Part of what makes my (and many others here) movie watching such an immersive, compelling experience are the conditions that are part of it: lights out, very little distraction, just you and the huge image in front of you.

This even carries over to my monthly UFC parties with usually around 7 guests or so. Even though I designed my room so that I can have pot lights on over the seating area, with very minimal perceptible effect on image contrast, I find I'm almost never turning them on. Everyone prefers it totally dark, now that they have experienced the effect.
post #466 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Indeed. There are those who pine for huge flat screen TVs as a replacement for projection, with one advantage touted as finally being able to watch with the lights on. That to me, at least for movies, is actually the opposite direction I'd wish to go. Part of what makes my (and many others here) movie watching such an immersive, compelling experience are the conditions that are part of it: lights out, very little distraction, just you and the huge image in front of you.

This even carries over to my monthly UFC parties with usually around 7 guests or so. Even though I designed my room so that I can have pot lights on over the seating area, with very minimal perceptible effect on image contrast, I find I'm almost never turning them on. Everyone prefers it totally dark, now that they have experienced the effect.

Well said Rich. As I told some guests last weekend, and they understood after we watched Art of Flight, watching movies in the HT is a very focused experience. cool.gif

post #467 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

guys any idea on how to put black velvet on the ceiling?
post #468 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

guys any idea on how to put black velvet on the ceiling?

If you search this thread back a few pages I posted a link with some photos of how i did it.
Basically you use 1/4 plywood, 3M 77 spray adhesive and an 18 guage nail gun. You can not see the panels so you don't need to do a huge panel that would be impossible to work with.
Here is the link. It does not show the first row of 5 panels being make, just the last 2 curved pieces.
Living Room Update with black ceiling and removable wall covering
post #469 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you search this thread back a few pages I posted a link with some photos of how i did it.
Basically you use 1/4 plywood, 3M 77 spray adhesive and an 18 guage nail gun. You can not see the panels so you don't need to do a huge panel that would be impossible to work with.
Here is the link. It does not show the first row of 5 panels being make, just the last 2 curved pieces.

Thanks so much.
post #470 of 1158 Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I never watch with lights on. You want more light in the room? Get a projector that can put 20+ foot lamberts on your screen. The screen is your room lighting ! smile.gif
Toe likes this.

post #471 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any of you experts on this thread attached ceramic magnets to velvet? If so how do you do it? If not any ideas? A run-of-the-mill glue gun didn't seem to work for me.
post #472 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks so much.

I bought around 14 yards of Royalty 3 black velvet yesterday. I replaced black cotton cloth from top and bottom panels with black velvet since it is looks much darker as compared to cotton. I am going to cover 5 feet of distance from screen all around. I am thinking about buying some plywood with 12 inches width and 80 inches height (height of the wall that needs to be covered) and place one panel next to screen and other one on the other side far side, wrap velvet around it and that will cover the wall area. I think that will work for ceiling as well. I might have to use some more plywood for ceiling though since its 142 inches wide.
Quote:

Can you please share how you ended up with this curve edges? I think having curve edges at the front will give even more immersive experience.
post #473 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

Any of you experts on this thread attached ceramic magnets to velvet? If so how do you do it? If not any ideas? A run-of-the-mill glue gun didn't seem to work for me.

You could simply sew them on or between the material.

post #474 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Read through this thread and picked up a lot of good info. I am building a soffit in my living room next week to house my screens. Ran to the HD and picked up some paint in their system called Black Black which I will use on my soffit and a dark grey will be used on my wall behind the screen. I'm using flat and hoping it is good enough to not reflect or have any bright sheen to it.

After the construction of the soffit I think I'll build something similar Airscapes ceiling. If I extend out five feet though I'll have to build a frame that can hold my recessed lights and my AC vent. Triple plush velvet is the way to go correct?

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #475 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

Sewing in sucks.. they grab the presser foot and the wear though the fabric when removing and replacing, Gaffers Tape works best and Neodymium magnets are far better than Ceramic.
Look at this link and read the comments under the pictures once you click on the thumbnails.
Living Room Update

Best site for magnets
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/
cardoski likes this.
post #476 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post

Read through this thread and picked up a lot of good info. I am building a soffit in my living room next week to house my screens. Ran to the HD and picked up some paint in their system called Black Black which I will use on my soffit and a dark grey will be used on my wall behind the screen. I'm using flat and hoping it is good enough to not reflect or have any bright sheen to it.

After the construction of the soffit I think I'll build something similar Airscapes ceiling. If I extend out five feet though I'll have to build a frame that can hold my recessed lights and my AC vent. Triple plush velvet is the way to go correct?

This is the velvet from Joann http://www.joann.com/search?q=Royalty%203
Go to their site and sign up for email coupons or go here and check each day.. there is a 50% off out there now so if you can calculate what you need go for it.
http://www.joann.com/coupon/?icn=Home&ici=hs0-1
lpnaz480 likes this.
post #477 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:

Sewing in sucks.. they grab the presser foot and the wear though the fabric when removing and replacing, Gaffers Tape works best and Neodymium magnets are far better than Ceramic.
Look at this link and read the comments under the pictures once you click on the thumbnails.
Living Room Update

Best site for magnets

sew by hand with a bone needle?

i don't know, last thing i sewed was a pair of boxer shorts in grade 7 home ec, haha. a skill i wish i knew better now

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #478 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

sew by hand with a bone needle?

Sew the magnets into a self-contained jacket and then sew the jacket onto or between the fabric. Takes five minutes tops... and lasted until a remodel years later.

post #479 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Living Room Update

Best site for magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Sew the magnets into a self-contained jacket and then sew the jacket onto or between the fabric. Takes five minutes tops... and lasted until a remodel years later.

Great ideas and info. Thanks guys...
post #480 of 1158 Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 10
I am almost finished placing around 40 ft of royalty 3 velvet around my screen. Based on my wife inputs, we stapled the velvet to create a curtain on the sheet rock and for some areas that needed access, I have placed a Velcro system. Overall, it is easy to install owing someone's ca sew the Velcro to the velvet.

As many already mentioned. this is really absorbing all light! I have not yet received my projector but I can't wait!

Yannick
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page