"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #721 of 1157 Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

interesting info on this paint, this might be easier for my room than going with the black velvet curtains. I have a lot of area to cover on the left wall facing my screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1218000/the-blackest-most-flat-paint-period

My entire dedicated room was recently done with Rosco Velour and the stuff is great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1157 Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This thread helped inspire me to improve my home theater recently when I upgraded from an Epson 7500UB to the 5010, and did not get the improvement in image quality I was expecting. I started out with white walls and ceiling. I painted the walls dark brown, hung black velvet curtains on each side of the screen, and installed black velvet on the ceiling near the projector. Here are before and after pics:

The improvement in image quality from my Epson 5010 is amazing. I'm no longer getting washed out images when there is a scene with dark areas and very bright areas at the same time. Now, if there is a scene with low contrast, I know that it was shot that way.

Here are a couple pictures showing my ceiling:

If you want more pictures and more information on the treatments, I posted a thread with a lot more detail, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1528626/edgar-in-indys-home-theater-improvement-thread-before-and-after-pics

Thanks!

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #723 of 1157 Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The brown makes it look classy and the room as a whole looks more polished and better thought out. Good job with the ceiling!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #724 of 1157 Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

The brown makes it look classy and the room as a whole looks more polished and better thought out. Good job with the ceiling!

The upgraded mains and larger scope screen don't hurt either! ;)

post #725 of 1157 Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

The upgraded mains and larger scope screen don't hurt either! wink.gif

The "before" picture is actually a few years old, but I used it because the angle was almost the same as my "after" picture. I did upgrade to the scope screen at the same time I painted, etc. But I've had the Klipsch speakers for a while now. Here is a more recent "before" picture with the new speakers (and the new quarterback!):

And in case anybody is wondering, yes, the picture is a combination of two different exposures...one for the screen, and one for the rest of the room.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #726 of 1157 Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

The upgraded mains and larger scope screen don't hurt either! wink.gif

And in case anybody is wondering, yes, the picture is a combination of two different exposures...one for the screen, and one for the rest of the room.

I just checked out your thread and posted something there with respect to my room.  I was seriously wondering about the two exposures! :cool:

post #727 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently purchased 28 yards of Triple Black Velvet from Sysfabric. Does anyone know or have any recommendations on how to turn the fabric into curtains? I have 2 12' tracks will be running around my screen on the side and rear and also some fabric on my ceiling.

If, anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Many Thanks,

Ken
post #728 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504 View Post

I just recently purchased 28 yards of Triple Black Velvet from Sysfabric. Does anyone know or have any recommendations on how to turn the fabric into curtains? I have 2 12' tracks will be running around my screen on the side and rear and also some fabric on my ceiling.

http://www.designsponge.com/2010/02/sewing-101-curtains.html

If you don't want to DIY it, go to a local fabric store and see if they will do it, or recommend someone who will. Might be a cork board there with "I do sewing" posts on it. Perhaps post a wanted on craigslist?
post #729 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
If you know how to sew, working with velvet is a bitch! If you are a novice like myself it is a (add a list of nasty adjectives) bitch! If you want nice looking curtains, hire someone to make them. The thing that makes it really hard is the stupid selvage (the edges) Once cut off the fabric unravels and must be hemmed. You have to use an overcast stitch to keep it from fraying even after it is hemmed and all the stitching makes the fabric hang lumpy and wrinkled. Velvet can not be ironed, it will melt so don't try it.. that also prevents you from using the no stitch iron interfacing. Only saving grace is the stuff is so black it can be hard to see the mistakes!
post #730 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I have never sewn and am open to learning, but just like many of you my time is limited and I have many other projects to attend to and I just dont have the time. I will look locally to see what they can do. I appreciate the speedy feed back!

On a side note the velvet is very light and thin. Im assuming when "they" sew it they will put some kind of backing on it so it will give it some weight to it?
post #731 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 AM

I think finding a professional to do the sewing is a good call. I like to DIY whenever possible, and my mother is a seamstress/sewing machine dealer, and my wife has a super-fancy sewing machine and serger, but when it came time for velvet curtains, I bought pre-made curtains from "indianselections" on eBay. From working with velvet when making my projector screen, I knew it was a mess once you started cutting it, so I didn't want to try to make my family members deal with that when I was able to find reasonably-priced pre-made curtains.

As far as the backing, when I bought Royal velvet from Jo-Ann Fabrics, it already had a backing material attached to the back, and I think it work okay as a curtain without any additional backing. But then again, I'm not using mine over windows.

post #732 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM

I think I am just going to staple to the wall and ceiling. These were going to go on a sliding track (not over a window, but curtain like) around my screen and side walls to cut out that reflective light.
I called about 10 locations and only found 1 that does this work and its pricey and timely.

Plan B

Staple velvet to the wall and cover seams with small painted moldings. Just more work in the project lol.

I did see your curtains that you used but that would have been way too costly for me.

I need 12ft w x 9 h x 2 (2 walls) plus the ceiling is 4ft h x 15ft across
post #733 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM

Somebody has posted a link in the past to a place that sells used stage/event velvet, velour, and duvetyne curtains. I can't recall the name now, but perhaps somebody else will be able to provide a link. That may be an affordable option for getting long runs like you need.

post #734 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks, but I can't buy more. I have 28 yards that I already spent 250 on and can't return. I have to use what I have.
post #735 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk504 View Post

Thanks, but I can't buy more. I have 28 yards that I already spent 250 on and can't return. I have to use what I have.

I stapled mine, same material. The result is amazing, I would recommend getting some tacks when placing the velvet on the ceiling. You will find that you will have to do many little adjustments to get the material really tight. Once you are happy with it replace the tacks with staples.

James Reid:D
post #736 of 1157 Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the help and information. I will def be doing that. I found a person in my area (Monterey, CA) to sew my panels together to make a wall of dark velvet (12'x9' x 2). She said anywhere from $45-&60 per panel.

Many thanks for the help I really appreciate it!
post #737 of 1157 Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks for the information on the Rosco paint. It is as stated the blackest paint available. Great on the ceiling. It is not as dark as black velvet but may even be a little darker than black felt fabric. I also used a 1.1 mix.
post #738 of 1157 Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm excited by some of the information in this thread. When I built my HT (which is very small), I painted the screen wall and the ceiling black and the remaining walls dark red but I see it all pretty much light up when I'm watching.

I think if I can figure out enough of what people are doing here with the Velvet and spray adhesive and so on, I may be able to combine DIY acoustical treatments with adding velvet coverings. Should be 2 fantastic ways to improve my HT and since it's very small ... maybe it won't cost too much.

I'll try to re-read what JoeRod did,... Whatever he does is good enough for me if I can afford it. biggrin.gif From pix he posted, it looks like he had a great solution.

-Brian
post #739 of 1157 Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone wants to add acoustic panels that would add to the look I would recommend this company. I used dark burgundy and they work well without reflecting the light. They also have them in black and other dark colors.

http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels/dmd-acoustic-panels/
post #740 of 1157 Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If anyone wants to add acoustic panels that would add to the look I would recommend this company. I used dark burgundy and they work well without reflecting the light. They also have them in black and other dark colors.

http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels/dmd-acoustic-panels/

Their black DMD fabric is pretty good for the price. Their panel construction is best described as no frills.

Life is Lambertian
post #741 of 1157 Old 05-19-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post

Their black DMD fabric is pretty good for the price. Their panel construction is best described as no frills.

The panel construction can be called "no frills." but the 2" models placed in a totally black room do look ok and don't reflect.
post #742 of 1157 Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

The panel construction can be called "no frills." but the 2" models placed in a totally black room do look ok and don't reflect.

GIK makes good acoustic panels too - http://www.gikacoustics.com/

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #743 of 1157 Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Acoustic-Panels--100.html

I'm using the black for my left and right front speaker and they work well as they don't reflect noticeably.

post #744 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS-Acoustic-Panels--100.html

I'm using the black for my left and right front speaker and they work well as they don't reflect noticeably.

What I like with this company was that they included instructions and all mounting hardware. The panels hang just like pictures and are easy to put up. There prices were also good. I am sure that other companies probably provide similar service.
The important thing for me is that they don't reflect light and they add the the appearance of the room.
post #745 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What I like with this company was that they included instructions and all mounting hardware. The panels hang just like pictures and are easy to put up. There prices were also good. I am sure that other companies probably provide similar service.
The important thing for me is that they don't reflect light and they add the the appearance of the room.

Yep, I've been happy all of the way around.

My room was painted with Rosco black velour. I had to remove my window panel to get enough light for the pic, but gives you an idea at least of how they look.

post #746 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
david I've read some info on that paint, some were complaining you can't touch it or will leave marks that are difficult to mask? Have you run into any issues with people or objects touching the wall and leaving marks?

I just found the blackest carpet I've ever seen (been shopping around for months) so I'm getting ready to have my entire room done in a few weeks. Getting very excited for this change but not looking forward to removing all the items from the HT (seats, speakers, rack holding all my projectors, etc)
post #747 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

david I've read some info on that paint, some were complaining you can't touch it or will leave marks that are difficult to mask? Have you run into any issues with people or objects touching the wall and leaving marks?

I just found the blackest carpet I've ever seen (been shopping around for months) so I'm getting ready to have my entire room done in a few weeks. Getting very excited for this change but not looking forward to removing all the items from the HT (seats, speakers, rack holding all my projectors, etc)

Yes, the paint is very sensitive indeed. The person most guilty leaving marks was me when I decided to remount and lower my screen - I had to do some touch up painting afterward. If it's a very light mark, it will fairly easily be rubbed out. Anything else is harder. If you suspect there will be a lot of touching against the walls, it might be wise to consider another paint.

I will say this though. Your room will be so dark afterward (assuming no ambient light coming) any marks will also be relatively hard to see if they are there.

Regarding your carpet, make sure the carpet is not only black but also flat as possible. When I was carpet shopping, I found some very black carpet but it was very shiny. I finally found some black and flat - at a good price too. It's amazing how wide of a price range carpet price and installation can run.

post #748 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Has this paint been directly compared with triple black velvet ?

James Reid:D
post #749 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
david thx for the info. I have a ton of triple black velvet I bought from a fellow member, I just have to figure out what to do with it. Possibly curtains as I'd like to retract them back when I don't want the room to look like a tar pit. The ceiling and floor will already be black.

regarding the carpet, I have a large sample and it looks amazing. super black and not shiny at all. it's very expensive @ $60 a sq yard but I'm only doing this once so I'm going for it.

When I remove my seats for the install, I will force myself to install the remaining 3 butt-kickers, I only have 1 hooked up right now (my seat of course).
post #750 of 1157 Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

... The ceiling and floor will already be black.

regarding the carpet, I have a large sample and it looks amazing. super black and not shiny at all. it's very expensive @ $60 a sq yard but I'm only doing this once so I'm going for it.

What is the make and model of the carpet? I will start carpet shopping in several weeks. People have gone to the gallows in better spirits than I go shopping.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page