"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1162 Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Velvet is a one man job if you make panels. Unfortunately your DIY skill set seems limited.
Normally I would suggest using 1/4 plywood like I did in the living room but that requires the sheet to be cut into pieces you can handle. Once covered with velvet they can be attached with an 18 gauge nail gun..

The slightly more expensive route but simpler is to buy high quality foam core board and cover it with the velvet using the same 3M 77 spray adhesive as would be used for ply wood. These are much lighter and can be attached with velcro or even an electric nail gun. The double faced adhesive tape will be tempting but it is not made to hold thing horizontally and they will fall off.. I tried it with the plywood.. it may work with small foam core panels.. I think someone else did it an it was holding up. It also won't come off the ceiling if you ever want to remove it... You also need to be a little more careful when covering the foam core that is does not bend. DO NOT attempt to use dollar store foam board, it is to soft (I tired it) If you don't mind spending a little more Gador Board would be the thing to use as it is very stiff and rigid but very light weight.
If you wrap the velvet around to the back side of the board the seams do not show when butt against each other meaning you can do many small panels if that is better for you..
Paint is easy but no where near as effective.
Do samples of each type and put them up, it will cost an extra couple of bucks but it will help you decide which will be acceptable once done.
Airscapes,
Thanks much for your suggestions. I hadn't heard of the plywood idea, that sounds pretty interesting. And as for using a "foam" board (instead of plywood) might that possibly offer up some acoustical benefits as well? I can relate to humbug2's questions on this subject. I'm sort of stuck on making this decision also. I think we all want what's "best" but with the numerous possibilities and in my case NO prior experience, it's worrisome that on completion of the work I'll read about a better way to have done it.

I've been considering and struggling with the idea of using one or more of the following on the ceiling. Black paint, Protostar, speaker grill cloth, fabric. I'm also considering using 3ft of velvet (from top of screen wall out) then changing over to the other type covering if this is advisable.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1162 Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I have to say, I really like the effect of the Protostar material. Having it on the side walls near the screen is doing a great job of absorbing reflective light from the edges of my ST100 screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (61.6 KB, 68 views)

post #873 of 1162 Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I have to say, I really like the effect of the Protostar material. Having it on the side walls near the screen is doing a great job of absorbing reflective light from the edges of my ST100 screen.

Great job David. That looks excellent !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #874 of 1162 Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
You mean the reverse side from the velvet side right?

Yes, it is backed with a material that has a shiny sheen to it (relatively). I seem to remember it could be ordered without the backing (unless I'm mixing it up with another velvet).

In case it's of interest, there's also the Devore black velvet:

http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/s...t-black-devore

It's loved by the AVforum members. It's just about as dark as the Fidelio, but it's much thinner, has a less shiny backing, and is acoustically transparent (or, close to it).

I use a bunch of it in my room as well as the black curtains that I pull around my room when watching a movie. I chose the Devore over the Fidelio for that task because being thinner it could more easily stack behind my existing brown curtains when I'm not watching a movie. Further, being thinner and much more acoustically transparent, I figured it would have add less dampening than the Fidelio when pulled across my walls. It's worked out quite nicely. My rear FX speakers end up behind the Devore velvet curtain when it's pulled behind the viewing sofa, but the sound passes through very well.

I had to order it from Britain. I'm not sure if it's sold in North America.
Sorry for the stupid question, but how much would 10 meters of this cost approx shipped to the US in American dollars?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #875 of 1162 Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have posted this before in this thread but due to it's size new folks are probably not going back that far. Not a lot of pictures or details but if you click the thumbnails there is some info under the full sized pictures
Living Room Update
post #876 of 1162 Old 06-26-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Protostar

Anyone else order from Protostar lately? I order a couple weeks ago. I received an email confirmation but that is all. Tried to follow up with a phone call and no one answers and no option to leave a message. Just wondering what is there normal turnaround time?
post #877 of 1162 Old 06-26-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered samples on the phone with the guy last year this time and took about 2 weeks.. Velvet was far superior for light and reflection absorption when both samples are affixed to the ceiling in front of the screen. This was verified by the non obsessive wifes eyes.
post #878 of 1162 Old 06-26-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwebs View Post
Anyone else order from Protostar lately? I order a couple weeks ago. I received an email confirmation but that is all. Tried to follow up with a phone call and no one answers and no option to leave a message. Just wondering what is there normal turnaround time?
The exact same thing happened to me when I ordered mine a few weeks back...zero response at first, but he finally replied and it took a couple of weeks to be sent.

post #879 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After many hours of research I am at:

1. Moving furniture, masking, covering, priming, painting, 2nd coat, removing masking and covering then restoring furniture is VERY much work. And there are potential problems with paint migrating under tape, substrate removed with tape, unevenness, dissatisfaction and no easy way back, accidents, et. cetera.

2. Gluing velvet to board and "airscapes"ing is work. I am concerned about my getting an uneven result because of stretching, joints, adhesive bleed through, and this is the only option for which I do not have relevant experience.

3. Protostar Flockboard in 2 x 4 foot tiles fits remarkably well with minimal cutting. The only questions I have now are whether it will drill, cut, and join cleanly and neatly. I do not have but I think getting a nail gun is the best idea since I want to be able to remove this someday.

I have a white screen casing and a white board under my projector to make install and remove easy and keep the projector from falling on my head. I plan on putting Protostar Hi-Tack on these.

Being only moderately insane I will get a small amount and place it for evaluation before going all in.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
post #880 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 275
in your previous post, you mentioned 12" tiles. Is this setup the typical grid + drop in tile?
post #881 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post
Have you posted a picture of your space before? A visual can help a lot with suggestions.

The method I used was tacking/stretching panels of black velvet to the ceiling, and then using trim/molding to cover the seems and edges. Turned out great, and the fabric is completely flat on the ceiling:

Somebody mentioned gluing velvet, and while that can work, it can also be very messy! I found this out the hard way when making my masking panels. I glued the first one, but the combination of the black fuzz and the glue is not good. You should've seen my hands! For the second panel I just used black duct tape to tape the edges tight to the back of the panel, and it worked great.

BTW, for velvet I can highly recommend the black velvet that Joann Fabrics sells. I forget what it's called (maybe "Royal"?), but it was not the cheap stuff, but it was also not the most expensive one they sold. I felt like the most expensive velvet didn't seem to be as dark and light absorbent.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #882 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone know of a good thin, cheap foam that comes in big sheets or rolls? I've currently got velvet-wrapped pieces of cardboard on the floor but it's obviously not ideal -- they're not too comfortable under the feet and they slide around some. I would rather somehow affix the velvet to foam of some kind for less movement, more comfort, and maybe even a bit of acoustical dampening. This stuff isn't really getting walked on much, it's just under the feet when you're sitting.

I know some people use velvet-wrapped exercise mats, but i'm looking for something cheaper.
post #883 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

1/4" Plywood.. spay 3M77 on the back of the velvet and on the ply wood, drop ply wood on, flip over lift and smooth out wrinkles, nail down.
post #884 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
in your previous post, you mentioned 12" tiles. Is this setup the typical grid + drop in tile?
Nothing in this house is typical, level, flat, parallel, or perpendicular. Built in 1948 or so and major remodeling sometime in the 1960s.

The tiles are secured to a backing, probably with adhesive. That layer seems secured to real wood. That is when I drill I encounter two different resistances before hitting Vermiculite insulation and above that the attic flooring.

Pictures are a good idea. You deserve a good laugh for helping me. The room is an example of 10 pounds of xxxx in a 8 pound bag. Will do it tomorrow.
post #885 of 1162 Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:

1. Moving furniture, masking, covering, priming, painting, 2nd coat, removing masking and covering then restoring furniture is VERY much work. And there are potential problems with paint migrating under tape, substrate removed with tape, unevenness, dissatisfaction and no easy way back, accidents, et. cetera.

2. Gluing velvet to board and "airscapes"ing is work. I am concerned about my getting an uneven result because of stretching, joints, adhesive bleed through, and this is the only option for which I do not have relevant experience.

3. Protostar Flockboard in 2 x 4 foot tiles fits remarkably well with minimal cutting. The only questions I have now are whether it will drill, cut, and join cleanly and neatly. I do not have but I think getting a nail gun is the best idea since I want to be able to remove this someday.

I have a white screen casing and a white board under my projector to make install and remove easy and keep the projector from falling on my head. I plan on putting Protostar Hi-Tack on these.

Being only moderately insane I will get a small amount and place it for evaluation before going all in.

I'm right at your "#1" at this point. Completed all moving of furniture, taping mudding repairs are near complete. I think Airscapes 3 1/2ft ceiling coverage in velvet or protostar is the way I'll go. From that point back, I think I'll paint the ceiling a dark midnight blue. I can't agree with you enough, it's alot of work even up to just this point of dealing with furniture, mudding, taping and painting walls.

I'll also use several feet of coverage on screen side walls. (velvet or protostar once at that point)

I'll check JoAnn fabrics for velvet types unless there is somewhere better; & Should I go direct to Protostar website for that material?
post #886 of 1162 Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

I used this site and was happy with price and the material is perfect. No reflections just a black pit.lol

James Reid:D
post #887 of 1162 Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

I used this site and was happy with price and the material is perfect. No reflections just a black pit.lol

Thanks for the info. Like you said, it looks good and a reasonable price per yard also.
post #888 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM

I spent the weekend researching carpet tiles. I am thinking black or near black with a pattern that would hide lint, ashes, insects, confetti, crumbs, & c. Nothing acceptable found yet.

The general plan is ceiling, carpet, [ insane idea for West wall ], subwoofer between tables to the right of the chair, new speakers, and new prepro, by next spring.

I do not know why the attachments are quite a bit darker than the source files on my computer. Probably another feature of the new hated web hosting service.

In sequence East wall windows, South wall screen, West wall bookcases, North wall throne. Black cloth on floor was a test that determined a very dark carpet was necessary. Black cloth over foot stool is necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E open.JPG (128.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg E closed.JPG (135.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg S screen up.JPG (132.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg S screen down.JPG (108.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg W.JPG (96.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg N.JPG (165.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by humbug2; 06-30-2014 at 08:54 AM.
post #889 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Have your own giant carpet tile made. I have a flooring contractor friend. I just picked out some super dark black Shaw carpeting, and had the edges bound. It's a 12' x 18' carpet " tile " .

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #890 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I spent the weekend researching carpet tiles. I am thinking black or near black with a pattern that would hide lint, ashes, insects, confetti, crumbs, & c. Nothing acceptable found yet.

The general plan is ceiling, carpet, [ insane idea for West wall ], subwoofer between tables to the right of the chair, new speakers, and new prepro, by next spring.

I do not know why the attachments are quite a bit darker than the source files on my computer. Probably another feature of the new hated web hosting service.

In sequence East wall windows, South wall screen, West wall bookcases, North wall throne. Black cloth on floor was a test that determined a very dark carpet was necessary. Black cloth over foot stool is necessary.
How about a new Recliner!
post #891 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
how about normal black carpet, and a vacuum cleaner...
post #892 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the carpet installed last week, it took a few days to get everything back in place. It's hard to photograph black carpet but overall I'm thrilled with the results. This has a great feel under the feet and basically disappears when watching a movie.

now I'm busy working on the black drapes. I have 30 yards of the Joann royalty velvet, wow this material is nice. I used a combination of gaffer tape for the side seams and gorilla black duct tape to hold a seam where the curtain rod goes through at the top. I haven't hemmed them yet, I only hung 1 section to get an idea of how it's going to look.

it's hard to be believe how black this material is. it's a click or 2 darker than my Dalite Cinema Contour frame material and definitely darker than the protostar flocking, no competition if I look at them side by side.

so before I went any further, I went to joann fabrics to order 40 more yards. This material went up to $19.95 a yard and I found a 50% off store coupon that expired today. It's a little expensive but I like how this material 'hangs', no wrinkling or bunching up.

This is going to take some time, I have to remove a number of wall sconces and install eyeball lights like I did in the front of the screen.

this is one of my favorite addictive threads... now I can't stop until there is nothing visible but a white screen in this room.
post #893 of 1162 Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Your parties must be a lot more fun than mine! I'm just surprised to not see "blood" on the list!

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #894 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I had the carpet installed last week, it took a few days to get everything back in place. It's hard to photograph black carpet but overall I'm thrilled with the results. This has a great feel under the feet and basically disappears when watching a movie.

now I'm busy working on the black drapes. I have 30 yards of the Joann royalty velvet, wow this material is nice. I used a combination of gaffer tape for the side seams and gorilla black duct tape to hold a seam where the curtain rod goes through at the top. I haven't hemmed them yet, I only hung 1 section to get an idea of how it's going to look.

it's hard to be believe how black this material is. it's a click or 2 darker than my Dalite Cinema Contour frame material and definitely darker than the protostar flocking, no competition if I look at them side by side.

so before I went any further, I went to joann fabrics to order 40 more yards. This material went up to $19.95 a yard and I found a 50% off store coupon that expired today. It's a little expensive but I like how this material 'hangs', no wrinkling or bunching up.

This is going to take some time, I have to remove a number of wall sconces and install eyeball lights like I did in the front of the screen.

this is one of my favorite addictive threads... now I can't stop until there is nothing visible but a white screen in this room.
Looks great so far. I am sure that when you are finished you will have an amazing home theater. Have you considered installing LED eyeball lights. There are many now available and they put out much less heat. You might even be able to find some that you can adjust the color of the light.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #895 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Wow Zombie, your room is approaching the black-box ideal. The more I did that to my room, the more critical it seemed to have deep black levels (for better or worse). I bet it will be even harder to resist turning to the JVCs for dark movies in your black pit. I'm still fascinated by how my JVC, with the DI, can give the illusion of an almost perfect fade to black even in my bat-cave set up - something I'd never experienced in the previous JVCs.

I've used both the Fidelio black velvet (darkest I've seen) and the Devore (close second). A while ago I added a curtain track above my screen
and had to get some velvet to cover the track part. I found some "royalty" (or was it "royal"?) velvet in a local fabric store and it was so dark
it did the job, meshing well with the rest of my velvet. I'm guessing it's the same stuff you have.

BTW, is that a shot of a pot light on your ceiling? How have you treated your ceiling? (I'm sure it's in the thread, but I must have forgotten).
ellisr63 likes this.
post #896 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The carpet looks great!

post #897 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Would black carpet be best for a stage or would black fabric do as well? I had thought about velvet for the stage but the dust and dog hair I think will make it a pain to clean.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #898 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Wow Zombie, your room is approaching the black-box ideal. The more I did that to my room, the more critical it seemed to have deep black levels (for better or worse). I bet it will be even harder to resist turning to the JVCs for dark movies in your black pit. I'm still fascinated by how my JVC, with the DI, can give the illusion of an almost perfect fade to black even in my bat-cave set up - something I'd never experienced in the previous JVCs.

I've used both the Fidelio black velvet (darkest I've seen) and the Devore (close second). A while ago I added a curtain track above my screen
and had to get some velvet to cover the track part. I found some "royalty" (or was it "royal"?) velvet in a local fabric store and it was so dark
it did the job, meshing well with the rest of my velvet. I'm guessing it's the same stuff you have.

BTW, is that a shot of a pot light on your ceiling? How have you treated your ceiling? (I'm sure it's in the thread, but I must have forgotten).
the problem with velvet this dark is that everything that isn't this black stands out a bit. now I have to reconsider putting the velvet on my ceiling tiles. They are a black acoustic 12x12 that look good on their own but don't hold up to this material..The grid is covered in protostar which looks positively grey in comparison to the royalty 3 material.

uggg... what have I gotten myself into.. this is all SOWK's fault.

rwestley - I tried some of the LED lights, even the ones with the color, they just don't have enough horse power to light up the room. those 50 watt halogens do burn hot so I have to wire them separately so I can keep them off during normal use of the rest of my room.

I'll post some photos once I make a little more progress over the holiday weekend.
post #899 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Would black carpet be best for a stage or would black fabric do as well? I had thought about velvet for the stage but the dust and dog hair I think will make it a pain to clean.

I think carpet holds up better.

Excellent job Zombie ! Darn, my wife's work hasn't had her going out of town on business for a long time - I've got a few more wall to paint black too ( just as soon as she's outta here for a few days ) !!

post #900 of 1162 Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Go with black (olefin) carpet, an underrated material for the blackout enthusiast.

I've seen posts in the DIY Screen section that a couple guys wrapping their frames who ran out of Fidelio found it to be, surprisingly, blacker than velvet. Definitely better than paint, in any case.

I have found that, to get it to max black on a wall, you comb it out in its preferred direction with a wire brush
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page