"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 914 Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how about normal black carpet, and a vacuum cleaner...
Had to laugh out loud. Good one. Ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 914 Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
the problem with velvet this dark is that everything that isn't this black stands out a bit. now I have to reconsider putting the velvet on my ceiling tiles. They are a black acoustic 12x12 that look good on their own but don't hold up to this material..The grid is covered in protostar which looks positively grey in comparison to the royalty 3 material.

uggg... what have I gotten myself into.. this is all SOWK's fault.
Yep. My ceiling is very dark brown felt meant to absorb light and when watching movies it is indeed exceedingly dark and absorptive. It does it's intended job of absorbing most light reflection in terms of preserving image quality, but once I surrounded everything else in black velvet, then the ceiling is what remained more visible than everything else. Which is why a while back I incorporated a black velvet curtain that rises to cover my ceiling when desired.

There is no end, until we are sucked down the black hole itself....
ellisr63 likes this.
post #903 of 914 Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how about normal black carpet, and a vacuum cleaner...
The desk chair rolls around and is very wearing on carpets. It will not roll very well on a thickly padded carpet. While I have a hearth rug and fireplace screen, embers do get out of the fireplace on rare occasions.

Carpet tiles can be easily pulled up and replaced. I could put tiles under the desk chair then when they show wear move them under furniture for a better long term appearance. I can stock spares. They can be vacuumed the same as normal carpet.

I have 3 carpet samples on order. If none are satisfactory then regular carpet it is. I also ordered a small quantity of Protostar Hi-Tack for the screen casing and the board under the projector. I will put it on insecurely, try awhile, and either go with it or remove it.

In my less lucid moments I thought about matching the H-D Vertiglide on the windows with another on the West wall gathered where the small media cabinet is and extending the length of the wall. If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Last edited by humbug2; 07-01-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Powered Vertiglide do not exist.
post #904 of 914 Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Has anyone tried using black carpet on their walls. There does seem to be some thin black carpet available but I am not sure it is as dark as velvet. Using felt on the walls might be another option. While felt is not as dark as velvet it might work for some. I would,however, suggest using velvet in the area by the screen since it is darker than felt. Rosco paint on the ceiling is another good option.
post #905 of 914 Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Looks great so far. I am sure that when you are finished you will have an amazing home theater. Have you considered installing LED eyeball lights. There are many now available and they put out much less heat. You might even be able to find some that you can adjust the color of the light.
I took your advice and looked for some LED replacements for these 50 watt mini-heaters. My main concern with LED's is color temp and how they project light through those diffusers. sometimes the pattern is a bit odd. I went to Lowe's, they had 2 different brands but both were similar to the photos below. I decided to give it a shot since I need to add 5 more of these eyeball lights. I have to take all the sconces off the walls to make room for the velvet curtains.

These claim to be a 50watt replacement but also claims 520 lumens which is about 100 lumens brighter than the typical 50 watt halogens I had in there before. The color temp is stated as 3K but I'm guessing a bit higher considering how 'white' it looks compared to the halogens. Visually it does appear brighter, i'll have to measure the actual light output with the T10.

The LED pattern is more consistent but the reflector style halogens do have a nice looking pattern on the screen.

I think i'm going to replace the halogens with these. 50 watts a light adds up fast and it would be nice to keep the majority of the lights on without worrying about the heat they generate.

Joann Fabrics called, I have another 40 yards of royalty 3 velvet waiting. I'm hoping to hang up a few more sections this weekend and get started on swapping out the lights.

this is a fun project!
post #906 of 914 Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
These claim to be a 50watt replacement but also claims 520 lumens which is about 100 lumens brighter than the typical 50 watt halogens I had in there before. The color temp is stated as 3K but I'm guessing a bit higher considering how 'white' it looks compared to the halogens. Visually it does appear brighter, i'll have to measure the actual light output with the T10.
I think halogens are closer to 2700K, so 3000K would be a bit whiter.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #907 of 914 Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
I took your advice and looked for some LED replacements for these 50 watt mini-heaters. My main concern with LED's is color temp and how they project light through those diffusers. sometimes the pattern is a bit odd. I went to Lowe's, they had 2 different brands but both were similar to the photos below. I decided to give it a shot since I need to add 5 more of these eyeball lights. I have to take all the sconces off the walls to make room for the velvet curtains.

The LED pattern is more consistent but the reflector style halogens do have a nice looking pattern on the screen.

I think i'm going to replace the halogens with these. 50 watts a light adds up fast and it would be nice to keep the majority of the lights on without worrying about the heat they generate.

Joann Fabrics called, I have another 40 yards of royalty 3 velvet waiting. I'm hoping to hang up a few more sections this weekend and get started on swapping out the lights.

this is a fun project!
We have been replacing all of our lights with LEDs... Our biggest savings was our Chandelier which was drawing 800 watts... We replaced the lights with LEDs and went down to 20 watts total.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #908 of 914 Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Zombie, Glad you decided to use the LED's Heat was the biggest issue I had with regular bulbs. LED's are improving and being able to keep on was big for me. I also think that Home Depot has some others that you might want to test. The Phillip bulbs are a little more expensive by may be worth in in your situation.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-5...3418/203532862

The project looks great. Are you using any kind of adjustable masking? That is my next project.
post #909 of 914 Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I built a set of manual masks and was going to use high capacity magnets to affix it to the screen. I have the same material Dalite uses for the Cinema Contour frames so it will match perfect. Automatic would be great but I can't get distracted now or I'll never complete this project.

I hung my 2nd 44" wide section just to the right of my screen where a large wooden bookcase is built into the wall. Very nice in appearance by itself, but it doesn't blend well sitting next to a 142" 16:9. Now it's gone!! hidden is the abyss of the black velvet.

For the side seams, I'm using gaffer tape which is holding well. Also for the top seams where rods go through, I'm using vertical stripes of black gorilla tape every 4-5 inches. This allows for a nice fold when the curtain is hung.

I'm off to pick up the rest of the 40 yards of velvet + some additional rods @ bed bath and beyond. The rods I'm using are very low profile about an inch off the wall and inexpensive. very happy it turned out to be this easy to hang this material.

I'll post some photos once I make more progress.
post #910 of 914 Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post
Thanks for the info. Like you said, it looks good and a reasonable price per yard also.
I bought from them too. Good price and good product.
post #911 of 914 Old Today, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What would be best for the stage... Carpet or velvet? I will be picking up some Royal Velvet Sunday from Jo Annes, but I am not sure if it will be a dust magnet facing upward from the top of the stage under the screen. If carpet... Would black car stereo carpet be black enough?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #912 of 914 Old Today, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
What would be best for the stage... Carpet or velvet? I will be picking up some Royal Velvet Sunday from Jo Annes, but I am not sure if it will be a dust magnet facing upward from the top of the stage under the screen. If carpet... Would black car stereo carpet be black enough?
Yeah, I don't think velvet would be a great idea for any area that you may want to vacuum from time to time.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #913 of 914 Old Today, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
Yeah, I don't think velvet would be a great idea for any area that you may want to vacuum from time to time.
Would the carpet they use in car stereo shops be good... It appears to be the same as the stuff they put on the outside of Pro speakers.

post #914 of 914 Old Today, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I"m not sure what your room design looks like, but I used black Fidelio velvet for a sort of "stage" in my set up.
I covered boards in black velvet, which are placed under my screen and extend about 2 (or 3?) feet. It acts as a sort of stage area upon which my L/C/R speakers are placed.

As for vacuuming, it's been no problem at all with the vacuum put on a "light" mode. 4 years and it looks as good as new each time I vacuum it (about once every couple months or so).

Black carpet may be more practical in your situation, I don't know. I chose the black velvet because no carpet I could find would go pitch black under the screen like the velvet.

FWIW....
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page