"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1213 Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Member
 
kimg1453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how about normal black carpet, and a vacuum cleaner...
Had to laugh out loud. Good one. Ha!
kimg1453 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1213 Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
the problem with velvet this dark is that everything that isn't this black stands out a bit. now I have to reconsider putting the velvet on my ceiling tiles. They are a black acoustic 12x12 that look good on their own but don't hold up to this material..The grid is covered in protostar which looks positively grey in comparison to the royalty 3 material.

uggg... what have I gotten myself into.. this is all SOWK's fault.
Yep. My ceiling is very dark brown felt meant to absorb light and when watching movies it is indeed exceedingly dark and absorptive. It does it's intended job of absorbing most light reflection in terms of preserving image quality, but once I surrounded everything else in black velvet, then the ceiling is what remained more visible than everything else. Which is why a while back I incorporated a black velvet curtain that rises to cover my ceiling when desired.

There is no end, until we are sucked down the black hole itself....
ellisr63 likes this.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #903 of 1213 Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
humbug2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Farmington Hills MI
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
how about normal black carpet, and a vacuum cleaner...
The desk chair rolls around and is very wearing on carpets. It will not roll very well on a thickly padded carpet. While I have a hearth rug and fireplace screen, embers do get out of the fireplace on rare occasions.

Carpet tiles can be easily pulled up and replaced. I could put tiles under the desk chair then when they show wear move them under furniture for a better long term appearance. I can stock spares. They can be vacuumed the same as normal carpet.

I have 3 carpet samples on order. If none are satisfactory then regular carpet it is. I also ordered a small quantity of Protostar Hi-Tack for the screen casing and the board under the projector. I will put it on insecurely, try awhile, and either go with it or remove it.

In my less lucid moments I thought about matching the H-D Vertiglide on the windows with another on the West wall gathered where the small media cabinet is and extending the length of the wall. If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Last edited by humbug2; 07-01-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Powered Vertiglide do not exist.
humbug2 is offline  
post #904 of 1213 Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Has anyone tried using black carpet on their walls. There does seem to be some thin black carpet available but I am not sure it is as dark as velvet. Using felt on the walls might be another option. While felt is not as dark as velvet it might work for some. I would,however, suggest using velvet in the area by the screen since it is darker than felt. Rosco paint on the ceiling is another good option.
rwestley is offline  
post #905 of 1213 Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Looks great so far. I am sure that when you are finished you will have an amazing home theater. Have you considered installing LED eyeball lights. There are many now available and they put out much less heat. You might even be able to find some that you can adjust the color of the light.
I took your advice and looked for some LED replacements for these 50 watt mini-heaters. My main concern with LED's is color temp and how they project light through those diffusers. sometimes the pattern is a bit odd. I went to Lowe's, they had 2 different brands but both were similar to the photos below. I decided to give it a shot since I need to add 5 more of these eyeball lights. I have to take all the sconces off the walls to make room for the velvet curtains.

These claim to be a 50watt replacement but also claims 520 lumens which is about 100 lumens brighter than the typical 50 watt halogens I had in there before. The color temp is stated as 3K but I'm guessing a bit higher considering how 'white' it looks compared to the halogens. Visually it does appear brighter, i'll have to measure the actual light output with the T10.







The LED pattern is more consistent but the reflector style halogens do have a nice looking pattern on the screen.



I think i'm going to replace the halogens with these. 50 watts a light adds up fast and it would be nice to keep the majority of the lights on without worrying about the heat they generate.

Joann Fabrics called, I have another 40 yards of royalty 3 velvet waiting. I'm hoping to hang up a few more sections this weekend and get started on swapping out the lights.

this is a fun project!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #906 of 1213 Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
These claim to be a 50watt replacement but also claims 520 lumens which is about 100 lumens brighter than the typical 50 watt halogens I had in there before. The color temp is stated as 3K but I'm guessing a bit higher considering how 'white' it looks compared to the halogens. Visually it does appear brighter, i'll have to measure the actual light output with the T10.
I think halogens are closer to 2700K, so 3000K would be a bit whiter.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stanger89 is offline  
post #907 of 1213 Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I took your advice and looked for some LED replacements for these 50 watt mini-heaters. My main concern with LED's is color temp and how they project light through those diffusers. sometimes the pattern is a bit odd. I went to Lowe's, they had 2 different brands but both were similar to the photos below. I decided to give it a shot since I need to add 5 more of these eyeball lights. I have to take all the sconces off the walls to make room for the velvet curtains.

These claim to be a 50watt replacement but also claims 520 lumens which is about 100 lumens brighter than the typical 50 watt halogens I had in there before. The color temp is stated as 3K but I'm guessing a bit higher considering how 'white' it looks compared to the halogens. Visually it does appear brighter, i'll have to measure the actual light output with the T10.







The LED pattern is more consistent but the reflector style halogens do have a nice looking pattern on the screen.



I think i'm going to replace the halogens with these. 50 watts a light adds up fast and it would be nice to keep the majority of the lights on without worrying about the heat they generate.

Joann Fabrics called, I have another 40 yards of royalty 3 velvet waiting. I'm hoping to hang up a few more sections this weekend and get started on swapping out the lights.

this is a fun project!
We have been replacing all of our lights with LEDs... Our biggest savings was our Chandelier which was drawing 800 watts... We replaced the lights with LEDs and went down to 20 watts total.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #908 of 1213 Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Zombie, Glad you decided to use the LED's Heat was the biggest issue I had with regular bulbs. LED's are improving and being able to keep on was big for me. I also think that Home Depot has some others that you might want to test. The Phillip bulbs are a little more expensive by may be worth in in your situation.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-5...3418/203532862

The project looks great. Are you using any kind of adjustable masking? That is my next project.
rwestley is offline  
post #909 of 1213 Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I built a set of manual masks and was going to use high capacity magnets to affix it to the screen. I have the same material Dalite uses for the Cinema Contour frames so it will match perfect. Automatic would be great but I can't get distracted now or I'll never complete this project.

I hung my 2nd 44" wide section just to the right of my screen where a large wooden bookcase is built into the wall. Very nice in appearance by itself, but it doesn't blend well sitting next to a 142" 16:9. Now it's gone!! hidden is the abyss of the black velvet.

For the side seams, I'm using gaffer tape which is holding well. Also for the top seams where rods go through, I'm using vertical stripes of black gorilla tape every 4-5 inches. This allows for a nice fold when the curtain is hung.

I'm off to pick up the rest of the 40 yards of velvet + some additional rods @ bed bath and beyond. The rods I'm using are very low profile about an inch off the wall and inexpensive. very happy it turned out to be this easy to hang this material.

I'll post some photos once I make more progress.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #910 of 1213 Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
eyekode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post
Thanks for the info. Like you said, it looks good and a reasonable price per yard also.
I bought from them too. Good price and good product.
eyekode is offline  
post #911 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
What would be best for the stage... Carpet or velvet? I will be picking up some Royal Velvet Sunday from Jo Annes, but I am not sure if it will be a dust magnet facing upward from the top of the stage under the screen. If carpet... Would black car stereo carpet be black enough?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #912 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
What would be best for the stage... Carpet or velvet? I will be picking up some Royal Velvet Sunday from Jo Annes, but I am not sure if it will be a dust magnet facing upward from the top of the stage under the screen. If carpet... Would black car stereo carpet be black enough?
Yeah, I don't think velvet would be a great idea for any area that you may want to vacuum from time to time.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
Edgar_in_Indy is offline  
post #913 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
Yeah, I don't think velvet would be a great idea for any area that you may want to vacuum from time to time.
Would the carpet they use in car stereo shops be good... It appears to be the same as the stuff they put on the outside of Pro speakers.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #914 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
What would be best for the stage... Carpet or velvet? I will be picking up some Royal Velvet Sunday from Jo Annes, but I am not sure if it will be a dust magnet facing upward from the top of the stage under the screen. If carpet... Would black car stereo carpet be black enough?
I"m not sure what your room design looks like, but I used black Fidelio velvet for a sort of "stage" in my set up.
I covered boards in black velvet, which are placed under my screen and extend about 2 (or 3?) feet. It acts as a sort of stage area upon which my L/C/R speakers are placed.

As for vacuuming, it's been no problem at all with the vacuum put on a "light" mode. 4 years and it looks as good as new each time I vacuum it (about once every couple months or so).

Black carpet may be more practical in your situation, I don't know. I chose the black velvet because no carpet I could find would go pitch black under the screen like the velvet.

FWIW....

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #915 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I"m not sure what your room design looks like, but I used black Fidelio velvet for a sort of "stage" in my set up.
I covered boards in black velvet, which are placed under my screen and extend about 2 (or 3?) feet. It acts as a sort of stage area upon which my L/C/R speakers are placed.

As for vacuuming, it's been no problem at all with the vacuum put on a "light" mode. 4 years and it looks as good as new each time I vacuum it (about once every couple months or so).

Black carpet may be more practical in your situation, I don't know. I chose the black velvet because no carpet I could find would go pitch black under the screen like the velvet.

FWIW....
This is what my stage looks like...

The ceiling and walls are flat black with a dark carpet.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #916 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
ellisr63,

Personally I'd do that stage in black velvet. It's not like people will be walking on it.

But, that's me.
ellisr63 and cardoski like this.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #917 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I have to say that having "gone black" quite a while ago, it's almost torturous to see many pictures of HT designs with bright ceilings and/or carpet/floors/walls. I don't care how nice the design looks, how beautiful the woodwork, how expensive or inexpensive the room, if the decor in a projection set up is something that clearly fights the actual use of the room, that is will clearly produce significant wash-out of the screen image, it just "looks wrong" to me.

I was looking at one thread recently in which the person had done quite a nice looking HT room and had even gone to the lengths of painting all the walls black. It got tons of praise...but all I could notice was the BRIGHT WHITE CEILING RIGHT OVER THE SCREEN! So I want to praise it but instead all I can intone internally is:..the ceiling...don't you understand??!!...the ceiling! Why? Why?"
Tedd and cardoski like this.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #918 of 1213 Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
ellisr63,

Personally I'd do that stage in black velvet. It's not like people will be walking on it.

But, that's me.
Thanks, I will do it in the Royalty velvet from Jo Anns Sunday then... I will get some thin foam pad so it looks good when I roll it over the edge and staple it.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #919 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I have to say that having "gone black" quite a while ago, it's almost torturous to see many pictures of HT designs with bright ceilings and/or carpet/floors/walls. I don't care how nice the design looks, how beautiful the woodwork, how expensive or inexpensive the room, if the decor in a projection set up is something that clearly fights the actual use of the room, that is will clearly produce significant wash-out of the screen image, it just "looks wrong" to me.

I was looking at one thread recently in which the person had done quite a nice looking HT room and had even gone to the lengths of painting all the walls black. It got tons of praise...but all I could notice was the BRIGHT WHITE CEILING RIGHT OVER THE SCREEN! So I want to praise it but instead all I can intone internally is:..the ceiling...don't you understand??!!...the ceiling! Why? Why?"
Agreed, I see images of some really nice home theaters, but it seems cosmetics are prioritized above performance - where as my take is the opposite.

DavidHir is online now  
post #920 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Agreed, I see images of some really nice home theaters, but it seems cosmetics are prioritized above performance - where as my take is the opposite.
The thing is I think most people think it's a sort of either/or thing - if you want to do a room suitable for projection, you have to compromise on the aesthetics. I disagree as there are countless aesthetic choices that are beautiful but which make sense given the function of a room using projection.

Rich H


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R Harkness is offline  
post #921 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Thanks, I will do it in the Royalty velvet from Jo Anns Sunday then... I will get some thin foam pad so it looks good when I roll it over the edge and staple it.
please post some photos when your done, I'm working on a similar setup in front of my screen.

I'm about 1/2 way done covering the wall where my screen is located. the before / after is dramatic, it looks amazing. The Royalty 3 velvet is great to work with, it's heavy enough to create a ripple like a typical hanging curtain.

When I'm done the walls, I've decided to take down all 50+ black tiles and cover them in the velvet. My 142" 16:9 is just inches from the ceiling and can broadcast some serious light. I want to make sure it has no chance of reflecting back to the screen.

I'm loving the black carpet I just had installed, it looks classy in my room. it's definitely not as dark as the Royalty 3 but a great looking black shade overall.
ellisr63 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #922 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
please post some photos when your done, I'm working on a similar setup in front of my screen.

I'm about 1/2 way done covering the wall where my screen is located. the before / after is dramatic, it looks amazing. The Royalty 3 velvet is great to work with, it's heavy enough to create a ripple like a typical hanging curtain.

When I'm done the walls, I've decided to take down all 50+ black tiles and cover them in the velvet. My 142" 16:9 is just inches from the ceiling and can broadcast some serious light. I want to make sure it has no chance of reflecting back to the screen.

I'm loving the black carpet I just had installed, it looks classy in my room. it's definitely not as dark as the Royalty 3 but a great looking black shade overall.
The more black I get in the room... The harder it is to take a picture with my cell phone.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #923 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
The more black I get in the room... The harder it is to take a picture with my cell phone.
That's the issue I run into mine. lol
ellisr63 and cardoski like this.

DavidHir is online now  
post #924 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
The more black I get in the room... The harder it is to take a picture with my cell phone.
what material are you using? I've seen some folks suggest the foam exercise blocks. I want a rounded 'stage' in front of the screen.

I was going to use those blocks and stack them a few times to give it some height, cut a nice curve in the front and cover it in the velvet.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #925 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
what material are you using? I've seen some folks suggest the foam exercise blocks. I want a rounded 'stage' in front of the screen.

I was going to use those blocks and stack them a few times to give it some height, cut a nice curve in the front and cover it in the velvet.
I am using Jo Annes Royalty black velvet. I am thinking of also using it on my soffits which are bass traps too.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #926 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
So am I, I bought a ton of it. I was referring to the material to build the stage/platform.

I like the idea of the exercise blocks, seems easy enough to work with.
ellisr63 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by zombie10k; 07-13-2014 at 12:46 PM.
zombie10k is online now  
post #927 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Has anyone tried using black carpet on their walls. There does seem to be some thin black carpet available but I am not sure it is as dark as velvet. Using felt on the walls might be another option. While felt is not as dark as velvet it might work for some. I would,however, suggest using velvet in the area by the screen since it is darker than felt. Rosco paint on the ceiling is another good option.
Hello there,


I use thin black carpet on my walls and i love it its pure black..
I have a black painted ceiling to(i can never sell my house again hahahahah)..





Its hard to take a picture with my cellphone..






Best regards
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by john2910; 07-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
john2910 is offline  
post #928 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
My room, completely covered in velvet disappears. There would be no point to having any aesthetics because there is no room. I mean there is no beginning or end, it is just a void. Decorating would only be a distraction, well at least in the viewing area, I have posters and such in the equipment area. I do sort of chuckle when see super hi end theaters that have light colored ceilings.
ellisr63 and DavidHir like this.

James Reid:D
cardoski is online now  
post #929 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
So am I, I bought a ton of it. I was referring to the material to build the stage/platform.

I like the idea of the exercise blocks, seems easy enough to work with.
We built the frame out of 2x4s, the top out of 5/8" OSB, and the front curved area out of 1/8" Masonite board.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #930 of 1213 Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
My room, completely covered in velvet disappears. There would be no point to having any aesthetics because there is no room. I mean there is no beginning or end, it is just a void. Decorating would only be a distraction, well at least in the viewing area, I have posters and such in the equipment area. I do sort of chuckle when see super hi end theaters that have light colored ceilings.
Are you using the velvet for acoustic panels too? Our soffits are open frame, and we are filling them with Denim insulation. Will the velvet be ok... Or do I need something more porous?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off