"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I almost feel responsible for what has happened within this thread... But zombie10K can now say he has the darkest theater.

Time to get a seamstress to make you some black velvet suits for you and your guests!
Looks to be true.

I'll never quite get there but will have most of it. I updated my theater earlier today on the "Milwaukee" thread. Here's the post - Home Theater Owners Near Milwaukee WI?

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
I almost feel responsible for what has happened within this thread... But zombie10K can now say he has the darkest theater.

Time to get a seamstress to make you some black velvet suits for you and your guests!
Meanwhile, an army of angry wives upset by rooms devoid of WAF approaches SOWK's house with pitchforks and torches.......
ellisr63 and Done Deal DR like this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1053 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)

Quote:

Last night I threatened to dye our white dog black. We compromised by putting him under a dark grey throw .
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1054 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Painting the Ceiling Grid

Well, I've started to fall into the rabbits hole and I'm preparing to add a bit of black to my HT.

I started with painting the screen wall black, wow what a difference, added the painting of the telepost covers and I'm now moving onto building a couple of wing walls and covering them in black velvet. The wing walls will be placed on either side of the screen just past the speakers in an attempt to reduce reflection.

Here's what it looks like at present.

Now as you can see, I need to change my ceiling and I've purchased 2' X 4' Armstrong black ceiling tiles.

The question of the day is whether to buy black ceiling grid, use the light trap tape on the existing grid or spray paint the existing grid.

Has anybody painted their grid?

Thanks.
post #1055 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Meanwhile, an army of angry wives upset by rooms devoid of WAF approaches SOWK's house with pitchforks and torches.......
The irony is, it's the first time I got a 'wow' from my family. usually they just ignore the mad science in my room since the walls and floor matched the rest of the room. now it looks completely different and they love the velvet curtains and black carpet.

I still have quite a bit of work to do but this is a great start and the positive results are easy to see.

kudos to SOWK for starting the thread and for those that contribute and keep the thread on topic.

also kudos to Joanne fabrics & 50% off coupons. Inexpensive, low profile curtain rods from Bed Bath & Beyond. Gaffer tape (works wonders for hemming the velvet) and Masland color 889 Charcoal carpet.
ellisr63, jjcook and cardoski like this.
post #1056 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post

The question of the day is whether to buy black ceiling grid, use the light trap tape on the existing grid or spray paint the existing grid.

Thanks.
painting the grid is a bit of a pain and the flat paint will still be more reflective than the protostar flocking material.

I wrapped my entire grid with the protostar flocking material. it's easy to cut and already has the adhesive on it. It takes some time but the results are great.

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

ellisr63 and Craig Peer like this.
post #1057 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

No need to cut. It comes in tape form now - http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm

My wife and I had the entire grid finished in a short time.
ellisr63 likes this.

Buzz

post #1058 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 112
How do you think the Pro Star compares to the Velvet, Zombie?

I am thinking this might be a good way to cover my speakers. Also nice tip on the tape for the curtains. I need to make a few short runs of curtains to completely envelop the room in Velvet.

James Reid:D

Last edited by cardoski; 07-24-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #1059 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

good deal.. wish it was around when I did this last year

FPT-250 NEW! Light trap tape roll, self-adhesive; 1-5/8" width x 250 ft $38.00

post #1060 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
How do you think the Pro Star compares to the Velvet, Zombie?

I am thinking this might be a good way to cover my speakers. Also nice tip on the tape for the curtains. I need to make a few short runs of curtains to completely envelop the room in Velvet.
it's definitely not as 'black' as the velvet but it's great for things like the grid or the sides of the speakers facing the screen. I am still debating on this and will likely try to find a way to make the velvet work just so it matches the walls.

I used Gaffer tape for the sides seams and Gorilla tape for the top fold over where the rods are. I put small 1" strips across the top every few inches so I could arrange the material on the rod which produces a nice ripple.After blowing through 30 yards I have this down to a science now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQJXCVC/
ellisr63 and cardoski like this.
post #1061 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Been gone for a bit, so I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on the forum yet...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...t-9602504.html

Wonder if any of the "well to do" will be putting this in their HT's?
About five or so years ago, Cineramax linked to a black paint that I think was developed for or by Nasa. I don't think I have seen any other mention of it.

Judging by the mention of the dress, it will be expensive. It would be an ideal material to put inside of the projector.
ellisr63 likes this.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #1062 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's definitely not as 'black' as the velvet but it's great for things like the grid or the sides of the speakers facing the screen. I am still debating on this and will likely try to find a way to make the velvet work just so it matches the walls.

I used Gaffer tape for the sides seams and Gorilla tape for the top fold over where the rods are. I put small 1" strips across the top every few inches so I could arrange the material on the rod which produces a nice ripple.After blowing through 30 yards I have this down to a science now.

I was thinking Pro star for my speakers , out of pure laziness. I really should use velvet covers since my entire room is velvet.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #1063 of 1333 Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post

Thanks.

I almost did, turned out I like it unpainted. Reminds me of the (a) Holodeck.
I think the real trick was to paint the tiles Black bar black (dark grey/black).

1st world problems...

Last edited by brwsaw; 07-24-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #1064 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It is expensive but Amazon and the supplier also sells Black Velvet tape. I am using it for screen boarders and it works great. Can be used for other things.

http://www.amazon.com/4-5-Velvet-Pro.../dp/B004MO3JTO
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1065 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
I was thinking Pro star for my speakers , out of pure laziness. I really should use velvet covers since my entire room is velvet.

Use velvet. I was thinking Protostar for my speakers for the same reason as you, but it just is not quite as black as the velvet. With the Protostar, the speakers still showed a slight glow in my tests (very slight, but it was there) but with the velvet they just vanish when a movie is playing.
ellisr63 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1066 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you post a picture of this installation? I'd like to see one as it sounds like something I might like to do.

Buzz

post #1067 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Best price point for gaffers tape is here.
http://www.goodbuyguys.com/

3 color pack is most economical http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/a...rey-p-369.html
post #1068 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Use velvet. I was thinking Protostar for my speakers for the same reason as you, but it just is not quite as black as the velvet. With the Protostar, the speakers still showed a slight glow in my tests (very slight, but it was there) but with the velvet they just vanish when a movie is playing.
Exactly like my experience with Protostar vs a good black velvet.

Speakers tend to be placed right near the screen surface and so will take on the most reflected light and light up.
It took Fidelio black velvet to make the speakers disappear right beside and under my screen, no matter how bright
a scene was.

I just cut a velvet piece as wide as my speakers, had the edges sewn neat, put Velcro on the ends and on the bottom of my speakers, and the velvet just wraps tightly around the speaker, attaching to the Velcro at the bottom.
The velvet fits so tightly and neatly that it looks like the actual surface of the speakers, like they came that way.
Toe, ellisr63 and cardoski like this.
post #1069 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Quote:
painting the grid is a bit of a pain and the flat paint will still be more reflective than the protostar flocking material.

I wrapped my entire grid with the protostar flocking material. it's easy to cut and already has the adhesive on it. It takes some time but the results are great.

http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

I have floor to ceiling heavy black velvet curtains from screen wall to the back of my seating, but, my ceiling is just flat black paint. Want to do something with the ceiling, but holding off, waiting to see how Atmos and the other new surround sound formats shake out.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1070 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I have floor to ceiling heavy black velvet curtains from screen wall to the back of my seating, but, my ceiling is just flat black paint. Want to do something with the ceiling, but holding off, waiting to see how Atmos and the other new surround sound formats shake out.

I have velvet on my ceiling and it really makes a difference, it is what made my room disappear. You may as well just go for it, give in completely to the dark side.

post #1071 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 353
There is now a great range of materials available - listed in this thread - to make anyone's home theater very dark and non reflective. Thanks SOWK for starting this - this is a great reference. Even if someone just wants to partially darken a room and not build a " bat cave ", this is the thread to find the ideas and the materials !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1072 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I just ordered some 12oz black Duvetyne from here... http://www.chicagocanvas.com/duvetyn/. I am going to use it for the whole wall behind my AT screen. I might even use it for some of my side wall, and ceiling areas.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1073 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I just ordered some 12oz black Duvetyne from here... http://www.chicagocanvas.com/duvetyn/. I am going to use it for the whole wall behind my AT screen. I might even use it for some of my side wall, and ceiling areas.
I used Duvetyne to wrap my foam window block out panel - works great.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #1074 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If anyone is looking for the Joann Royalty 3, there are a few coupons here ->>>>>>>

They have a 50% off coupon for in-store or online. I ordered another 50 yards, it's going quicker than I expected. the 44" width is really around 36" once I arrange it on the curtain rod so it presents a nice ripple. I want it to look like curtains so that's going to cost extra. Plus I want enough to cover all 50 tiles. These black tiles are quite nice but they don't compare to the velvet so now I have no choice but to cover them.
This ended up being a mistake, their online store doesn't have real time inventory and they are completely out of the royalty 3 velvet. What's odd is the online rep said the local store I originally ordered from had access to 500+ yard of it. They use different warehouses.

my local store got the first order in 4 business days, so i'll have to go back and order it from there. There is a 50% in-store coupon I linked to above that is good through 7/31.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1075 of 1333 Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
This ended up being a mistake, their online store doesn't have real time inventory and they are completely out of the royalty 3 velvet. What's odd is the online rep said the local store I originally ordered from had access to 500+ yard of it. They use different warehouses.

my local store got the first order in 4 business days, so i'll have to go back and order it from there. There is a 50% in-store coupon I linked to above that is good through 7/31.
My local store only had less than 2 yards left when I picked up 12 yards which was in 7 and 5 yard quantity... I really would like larger bolts than they had.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1076 of 1333 Old 07-26-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

some info on the NASA black paint that was being discussed earlier:

http://www.bluesat.unsw.edu.au/~pete...ze_Z306_TB.pdf

this doesn't look practical to use inside a home, look at the application method.

This is interesting, it's supposed to be one of the blackest materials available.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/lab-prod...bent-foil/3634

all of this in my hunt for a good black paint for a particular area of my room. It's a section of drywall ceiling that is far back from the screen and doesn't need velvet. The Rosco velour black looks like the best option.
post #1077 of 1333 Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
This is interesting, it's supposed to be one of the blackest materials available.

This seems to best the best material around and is extremely cost effective especially if one could score say a 40% off coupon. Maybe I should remove the extremely, you think? Its a lot cheaper than a sq ft of luxury high rise in NYC. The problem though it is not at all abrasion resistant and has a do not touch warning on the specifications.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1078 of 1333 Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Quote:
I have velvet on my ceiling and it really makes a difference, it is what made my room disappear. You may as well just go for it, give in completely to the dark side.
Oh, I will. I just don't want to put it in and then turn right around and tear part of it out. I have done that enough. Less than a year ago, that I redid my front wall and now, as soon as my custom drivers show up, I am tearing it out again to completely re-work it again.
ellisr63 and cardoski like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1079 of 1333 Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
some info on the NASA black paint that was being discussed earlier:

http://www.bluesat.unsw.edu.au/~pete...ze_Z306_TB.pdf

this doesn't look practical to use inside a home, look at the application method.

all of this in my hunt for a good black paint for a particular area of my room. It's a section of drywall ceiling that is far back from the screen and doesn't need velvet. The Rosco velour black looks like the best option.
Overall, I have been very happy with the Rosco velour black as I used it for my entire room (aside from some Protostar on the sidewalls near screen to soak in glare).
ellisr63 likes this.

post #1080 of 1333 Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I don't know if I have mentioned this before or if someone else has, but what about using thin shear pieces of black cloth? Put them in multiple layers to truly trap the light.
ellisr63 likes this.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page