"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1115 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Given the alarming number of people desiring to regularly sit through 3 hours of hobbits running around, we have a much larger societal issue to deal with first.
Agree with both you, Rich, and Mark: once was enough for me with Gravity, and I barely made it through the Hobbit. One movie that I do enjoy re-watching is The DaVinci Code (and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and The Enemy Blow).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1115 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Agree with both you, Rich, and Mark: once was enough for me with Gravity, and I barely made it through the Hobbit. One movie that I do enjoy re-watching is The DaVinci Code (and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and The Enemy Blow).
I can watch Jim Henson' s Labyrinth over and over. What's really weird is that Bluray is the only one which loads. All other discs give unknown or no disc messages. I'm serious. I tried all 300 of my Blurays.
post #1113 of 1115 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
So, with all of the talk of how good the velvet works, is it worth velveting over my Protostar material? Protostar seems to do a good enough job soaking up sidewall reflections from my Stewart ST100 (as the blacks and contrast are just outstanding paired with my RS4810), but just wondering.
Hi David. Reducing or essentially reducing sidewall and floor and ceiling reflectivity has a great deal to do with your blacks or black reference level. But it has almost nothing to do with improving your contrast performance. Reflectivity has no affect on on off contrast ratios and one will benefit from higher on offs even in high reflectivity rooms. ANSI will go up in a black pit but not really substantially. What you get is darker blacks.

Having a non reflective room will enable one to use a better performing screen with a very wide half angle. this means a unity gain screen, made right and from the right materials screen artifacts will be eliminated and your screen can disappear giving one an open window effect.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; Yesterday at 08:27 PM.
post #1114 of 1115 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mark,

Have you ever seen a good professional paint Sherwin Williams or Behr screen? I know you used to be a CRT guy. There must've been at least one guy who mastered the spray gun. The main issue is uniformity and color shifting which a good paint job will match the Studiotek 100. You don't have to spend thousands to get 99.9% of the Stewart. Even if you pick up a contractor hanging outside Home Depot to do it for you, there's about a $1,000 or more savings. Unless having a metal frame is important for some reason.
post #1115 of 1115 Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You definitely need to wrap the center speaker with velvet.
anything reflective will get covered, I went crazy and ordered another 60 yards today at the store so I have plenty for the rest of this project.

The biggest gain so far is the intense sense of immersion. This is hard to put a description on until one sees no visible reflections in direct or peripheral vision. We had some guests over tonight and they immediately commented on how dark the room looked even when the screen was fully lit up. We watched scenes from Oblivion and Skyfall on the JVC and Frozen 3D on the Sharp 30K which looks amazing.

so while I can't decide which projector to settle on (the more the merrier), this is one decision that I have no regrets... I feel like watching all my favorite movies again.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread