"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1111 of 1340 Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Given the alarming number of people desiring to regularly sit through 3 hours of hobbits running around, we have a much larger societal issue to deal with first.
Agree with both you, Rich, and Mark: once was enough for me with Gravity, and I barely made it through the Hobbit. One movie that I do enjoy re-watching is The DaVinci Code (and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and The Enemy Blow).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1340 Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Agree with both you, Rich, and Mark: once was enough for me with Gravity, and I barely made it through the Hobbit. One movie that I do enjoy re-watching is The DaVinci Code (and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and The Enemy Blow).
I can watch Jim Henson' s Labyrinth over and over. What's really weird is that Bluray is the only one which loads. All other discs give unknown or no disc messages. I'm serious. I tried all 300 of my Blurays.
post #1113 of 1340 Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
So, with all of the talk of how good the velvet works, is it worth velveting over my Protostar material? Protostar seems to do a good enough job soaking up sidewall reflections from my Stewart ST100 (as the blacks and contrast are just outstanding paired with my RS4810), but just wondering.
Hi David. Reducing or essentially reducing sidewall and floor and ceiling reflectivity has a great deal to do with your blacks or black reference level. But it has almost nothing to do with improving your on/off contrast performance. It will improve your already native (aimed into the lens) ANSI contrast and less severe real life contrast when light and dark areas are present in a scene. Reflectivity has no affect on on off contrast ratios and one will benefit from higher on offs even in high reflectivity rooms. ANSI will go up in a black pit. What you get is darker blacks.

Having a non reflective room will enable one to use a better performing screen with a very wide half angle. This means a unity gain screen, made right and from the right materials screen artifacts will be eliminated and your screen can disappear giving one an open window effect.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 07-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.
post #1114 of 1340 Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mark,

Have you ever seen a good professional paint Sherwin Williams or Behr screen? I know you used to be a CRT guy. There must've been at least one guy who mastered the spray gun. The main issue is uniformity and color shifting which a good paint job will match the Studiotek 100. You don't have to spend thousands to get 99.9% of the Stewart. Even if you pick up a contractor hanging outside Home Depot to do it for you, there's about a $1,000 or more savings. Unless having a metal frame is important for some reason.
post #1115 of 1340 Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You definitely need to wrap the center speaker with velvet.
anything reflective will get covered, I went crazy and ordered another 60 yards today at the store so I have plenty for the rest of this project.

The biggest gain so far is the intense sense of immersion. This is hard to put a description on until one sees no visible reflections in direct or peripheral vision. We had some guests over tonight and they immediately commented on how dark the room looked even when the screen was fully lit up. We watched scenes from Oblivion and Skyfall on the JVC and Frozen 3D on the Sharp 30K which looks amazing.

so while I can't decide which projector to settle on (the more the merrier), this is one decision that I have no regrets... I feel like watching all my favorite movies again.
xvfx likes this.
post #1116 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Mark,

Have you ever seen a good professional paint Sherwin Williams or Behr screen? I know you used to be a CRT guy. There must've been at least one guy who mastered the spray gun. The main issue is uniformity and color shifting which a good paint job will match the Studiotek 100. You don't have to spend thousands to get 99.9% of the Stewart. Even if you pick up a contractor hanging outside Home Depot to do it for you, there's about a $1,000 or more savings. Unless having a metal frame is important for some reason.
Where a kevlar vest if you ask one of those contractors to show you their contractor license.

In my opinion, a painted screen is a budget issue and does not come anywhere close to a high quality low gain professional screen. This is the wrong forum to discuss but there are many many reasons. Bight if you want some gain, don't have the money, I suppose its acceptable, anything is acceptable depending on the acceptor.
Craig Peer likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1117 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Hi David. Reducing or essentially reducing sidewall and floor and ceiling reflectivity has a great deal to do with your blacks or black reference level. But it has almost nothing to do with improving your on/off contrast performance. It will improve your already native (aimed into the lens) ANSI contrast and less severe real life contrast when light and dark areas are present in a scene. Reflectivity has no affect on on off contrast ratios and one will benefit from higher on offs even in high reflectivity rooms. ANSI will go up in a black pit. What you get is darker blacks.

Having a non reflective room will enable one to use a better performing screen with a very wide half angle. This means a unity gain screen, made right and from the right materials screen artifacts will be eliminated and your screen can disappear giving one an open window effect.
That makes sense.

I just wonder with Protostar vs velvet if it's just cutting hairs in this case.

post #1118 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I have a couple of questions while working on my black hole room:

1) I do not sew, but trying to get a clean edge using the Joann R3 velvet to wrap around my speakers (sides and tops). I used gaffers tape...so so results. Any suggestions on non-sewing seams working with the velvet edges (for a clean look)? If push comes to shove...I would be willing to hire to sew the "speaker covers".

2) I feel a little foolish asking this....but here is goes. I plan on using art canvass stretchers (basically frames) to create my screen wall velvet panels. A tad more expensive, than buying the lumber for HD etc (but I don't have the tools and feel like a douche asking HD to do all the cutting for me). This way I know I am getting easy to assemble framing with quality corners. All that being said, To have pressure fit assembling without warping the frame, is there a rule of thumb for the measurements? Using exact ceiling to carpeted floor, quarter inch more or quarter inch less? Is there a fudge factor? I assume better to come up a tad short then a tad too big (causing the panel to bend/warp). Any tricks of the trade if you come up a tad short? My guess is a thin "slice" of wood painted black or wrapped in velvet used to wedge in the top/bottom to hold into place? Sorry...dumb questions...but want to make sure I order the correct size the first time.

Thanks
Ron
ellisr63 likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #1119 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Furring strips are cheap. Hang each 2'x4' panel with string. That's what I'm doing once I can convince the wife to let me spend the $900 for the strips and fabric. The hard part is the time to make the panels.
When I rework my front wall, I will have the 3" deep panel from there to use on the ceiling. Mounting is no problem. I use slotted "L" clips. You attach the "L" clip to a stud or joist using the slotted hole. You space them just wide enough to fit the panel in between the clips. Then you screw the other leg of the clip into the side or top and bottom of the panel. That is how I have all of my panels mounted. Here is a pic from another room.
[IMG][/IMG]

If you look real close at the pictures, you can see a tiny bump out at the bottom, where the clip and screw is located.
Debonaire likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1120 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

1) I do not sew, but trying to get a clean edge using the Joann R3 velvet to wrap around my speakers (sides and tops). I used gaffers tape...so so results. Any suggestions on non-sewing seams working with the velvet edges (for a clean look)? If push comes to shove...I would be willing to hire to sew the "speaker covers".

2) I feel a little foolish asking this....but here is goes. I plan on using art canvass stretchers (basically frames) to create my screen wall velvet panels. A tad more expensive, than buying the lumber for HD etc (but I don't have the tools and feel like a douche asking HD to do all the cutting for me). This way I know I am getting easy to assemble framing with quality corners. All that being said, To have pressure fit assembling without warping the frame, is there a rule of thumb for the measurements? Using exact ceiling to carpeted floor, quarter inch more or quarter inch less? Is there a fudge factor? I assume better to come up a tad short then a tad too big (causing the panel to bend/warp). Any tricks of the trade if you come up a tad short? My guess is a thin "slice" of wood painted black or wrapped in velvet used to wedge in the top/bottom to hold into place? Sorry...dumb questions...but want to make sure I order the correct size the first time.

Thanks
Ron
For sharp no sew corners on the speaker covers, you can cut foam core boards to the size of the speaker sides and adhere the velvet to the panel, carefully wrapping around to the back side. then use a couple of stick on velcro fasteners to hold them on. Do the top last so you can get a nice fit over the side pieces. Use 3M 77 adhesive to mount the velvet. Spray both the core and the back of the velvet, let sit for 60 seconds and then apply. Do small test pieces first to get the hang of it..

Not sure what you are asking in #2 .. I think you are asking on how big to make the wall frames? The way I did my ceiling was to measure the width in inches and see what would divide into it evenly. Then subtract about 1/8" from each side of the panel that butts to the next for the wrapped velvet. If you start at the ceiling and are short at the floor no worries.

I guess for wall you could do one giant frame ceiling to floor..
post #1121 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks
Ron
When I used to have my JTR speakers exposed in my room. I took a strip of velvet and folded it to make a nice edge. I draped this over the speaker, so that it was flush with the front face on the top and sides of the speaker. The ends were tucked under the speaker. Made the speakers completely disappear.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1122 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Made my own version black screen wall plus roll up/roll down DIY masking, and black side walls for trials at the moment.

materials used
- 1 pc 1inch stainless tubular ( curtain hanger )
- 1 pc 1/2 inch stainless tubular ( curtain hanger )
- 2 pcs curtain hanger holder
- soft black felt cloth
- adhesive
- sewing thread

sample of 1/2 inch tubular

holder and 1inch tubular after installation

Closed up shot at mask rolled up

rolled up masking

rolled down masking 8" in height

no mask - lights on - full screen

no mask - lights off - full screen

no mask - lights on - 2.35 aspect ratio

no mask- lights on- adjust scale x 3 and height postion to eliminate lower portion of black letter box

mask down - lights on - ( same scale and height position )

and lights off. ( same scale and height )
and compared to no mask

mask rolled up - lights off -( Same scale and height)

mask rolled up - lights off - default aspect ( letter box )

DIY PJ SCREEN

BenQ 1070

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mishari84 likes this.
post #1123 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Not sure what you are asking in #2 .. I think you are asking on how big to make the wall frames? The way I did my ceiling was to measure the width in inches and see what would divide into it evenly. Then subtract about 1/8" from each side of the panel that butts to the next for the wrapped velvet. If you start at the ceiling and are short at the floor no worries.

I guess for wall you could do one giant frame ceiling to floor..
Thanks for the reply. What I am driving at are the two panels that will sit floor to ceiling (on the sides of the screen. I want to pressure fit the panels. My concern is getting a solid/tight fit without warping or bending the panel. Is there a rule of thumb is measuring for proper fit? When pressure fitting, common sense would say exact fit from ceiling to floor with taking into account the thickness of the velvet....all that being said, I didn't know if there were anything else I should take into account. I'll be shipping the wood panel parts and didn't want to make a mistake in ordering the proper size the first time. Measure twice, cut once mindset. Measure twice, order once....in my case.

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #1124 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When I used to have my JTR speakers exposed in my room. I took a strip of velvet and folded it to make a nice edge. I draped this over the speaker, so that it was flush with the front face on the top and sides of the speaker. The ends were tucked under the speaker. Made the speakers completely disappear.
Mike: You provided a "duh" moment for me.....didn't consider the old "fold over".

Thanks

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1125 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Mike: You provided a "duh" moment for me.....didn't consider the old "fold over".

Thanks

Ron
It is such a simple solution that works so well.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #1126 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Thanks
Ron
#2 ... I would get a piece of the velvet (or what ever material you are going to use), and fold it over and measure the thickness of 2 layers... Then I would get a scrap piece of wood cut to the proposed length (you could go to HD and get a piece of fir stripping for a couple of bucks).Trial fit it to see if it fits snugly, and if it does get the rest cut to the same length. BTW... I think fir stripping would be fine for making the masking frames and is not expensive.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1127 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
That makes sense.

I just wonder with Protostar vs velvet if it's just cutting hairs in this case.
I use Protostar to cover my black metal painted ceiling grid near the screen. I really don't know if velvet would be better. My screen frame is covered with the material put on by stewart. My walls are Guilford almost black fabric. My center speaker which is above the screen has Protostar on the bottom. Its as far as I choose to go now. Its pretty non reflective in the theater now but I think I might get a litle reflection near the screen top under the center channel. But its only about 2 inches on the top. maybe gluing a piece of black velvet would be better. I don't know though and I really do not think it would be worth the effort to obtain a very slight minor improvement. Pictures of my theater can be found on the virtual tour of my house, 22200 Zion Road, Brookeville, MD. Google the address.
DavidHir likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1128 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For those that have used protostar flockboard on their speakers. How did you attach it to the speaker without damaging the wood? Or, was it a permanently attached without concern for damage?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1129 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
OK I can at least keep threading the thread as I wrapped the top of my speakers in velvet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01039.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	184514  
cardoski likes this.
post #1130 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
OK I can at least keep threading the thread as I wrapped the top of my speakers in velvet...
Those are really nice. We'll done

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1131 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Those are really nice. We'll done
Thanks. Luckily they lift right off. I removed their plastic cap (wood underneath) a long time ago and painted them flat black. However without the spots turned up all the way I can hardly see the beige trim so it hardly matters how well they are done. Yes I know the trim looks white in the images...
post #1132 of 1340 Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For those that have used protostar flockboard on their speakers. How did you attach it to the speaker without damaging the wood? Or, was it a permanently attached without concern for damage?
The speakers are M&K powered professionals and the finish is flat black no grain. Dull, like this thread. I cut a sheet of Protostar that had adhesive on the back protected by a piece of paper. Peeled the paper off and stuck it on. My speakers are permanent, the room is designed acoustically specifically for them and their location was precisely specified and installed thereto, First reflections are picked up on the walls and ceilings and for the surrounds there is diffusion on the ceiling above and in front of each speaker.if

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1133 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. What I am driving at are the two panels that will sit floor to ceiling (on the sides of the screen. I want to pressure fit the panels. My concern is getting a solid/tight fit without warping or bending the panel. Is there a rule of thumb is measuring for proper fit? When pressure fitting, common sense would say exact fit from ceiling to floor with taking into account the thickness of the velvet....all that being said, I didn't know if there were anything else I should take into account. I'll be shipping the wood panel parts and didn't want to make a mistake in ordering the proper size the first time. Measure twice, cut once mindset. Measure twice, order once....in my case.

Thanks
Ron
I'd consider wedges/spacers of some sort, It would not be unusual for the size/height to vary slightly across the room so unless you're building each frame custom for each position, you're likely to have fitment problems when you're talking about trying to make them all snug/friction fit (very small tolerances). Plus that custom building drives up the construction time significantly.

On the other hand if you use wedges/spacers to make the fit tight, all you have to worry about is those. Though another idea, that might be even easier, would be to build/order your frames a couple inches short and use a french cleat to mount it, then maybe use some sort of baseboard (wrapped in velvet of course), maybe mounted to a spacer to cover the gap at the bottom.
rboster and ellisr63 like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1134 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'd consider wedges/spacers of some sort, It would not be unusual for the size/height to vary slightly across the room so unless you're building each frame custom for each position, you're likely to have fitment problems when you're talking about trying to make them all snug/friction fit (very small tolerances). Plus that custom building drives up the construction time significantly.

On the other hand if you use wedges/spacers to make the fit tight, all you have to worry about is those. Though another idea, that might be even easier, would be to build/order your frames a couple inches short and use a french cleat to mount it, then maybe use some sort of baseboard (wrapped in velvet of course), maybe mounted to a spacer to cover the gap at the bottom.
The french cleat is a terrific idea. Thanks for the input!

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1135 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The speakers are M&K powered professionals and the finish is flat black no grain. Dull, like this thread. I cut a sheet of Protostar that had adhesive on the back protected by a piece of paper. Peeled the paper off and stuck it on. My speakers are permanent, the room is designed acoustically specifically for them and their location was precisely specified and installed thereto, First reflections are picked up on the walls and ceilings and for the surrounds there is diffusion on the ceiling above and in front of each speaker.if
Thanks for sharing.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1136 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Quote:
Why not use velcro?

post #1137 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why not use velcro?
You are correct Mike, velcro is always a decent option. My only hesitation is my past experience with the industrial velcro tearing the heck out of the wall. One other consideration I had, but didn't bring up was the frame covering the baseboard. The panel will be slightly away from the wall (coming over the baseboard). I didn't want to remove the baseboard, so using the velcro will have the panel closer to the top of the wall and laying over the baseboard. I think a french cleat as an alternative would hang the panel far enough away from the top of the wall and coming down in front of the baseboard.

The french cleat offers an interesting option to pressure mounting.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
ellisr63 likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1138 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When I was in law school I dated a french woman for a short while. She taught me the french cleat and trust me it was and is fantastic though I think you might be using the term differently than she did.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1139 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
You are correct Mike, velcro is always a decent option. My only hesitation is my past experience with the industrial velcro tearing the heck out of the wall. One other consideration I had, but didn't bring up was the frame covering the baseboard. The panel will be slightly away from the wall (coming over the baseboard). I didn't want to remove the baseboard, so using the velcro will have the panel closer to the top of the wall and laying over the baseboard. I think a french cleat as an alternative would hang the panel far enough away from the top of the wall and coming down in front of the baseboard.

The french cleat offers an interesting option to pressure mounting.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
Use lower strength velcro. The industrial stuff, hardly comes apart. You could also use trim head tek screws, but if you do that, be sure you know exactly where the screws are located, since you will have a hard time finding them, if you don't.

post #1140 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You can also use screws to secure the wall portion of the velcro and use the adhesive for the frame side. By not using the adhesive part on the wall you should be able to prevent the damage you were worried about.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page