"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1141 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
You are correct Mike, velcro is always a decent option. My only hesitation is my past experience with the industrial velcro tearing the heck out of the wall. One other consideration I had, but didn't bring up was the frame covering the baseboard. The panel will be slightly away from the wall (coming over the baseboard). I didn't want to remove the baseboard, so using the velcro will have the panel closer to the top of the wall and laying over the baseboard. I think a french cleat as an alternative would hang the panel far enough away from the top of the wall and coming down in front of the baseboard.

The french cleat offers an interesting option to pressure mounting.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
Another option is to... Build the panels, and leave a couple of inches of gap to the floor so you can install rope lighting... Then install a baseboard with a inch or so gap for the lighting to shine through.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Another option is to... Build the panels, and leave a couple of inches of gap to the floor so you can install rope lighting... Then install a baseboard with a inch or so gap for the lighting to shine through.
The base board is already in place (existing built out room...shared some pics earlier). So this "new screen wall" is in front of an existing painted black screen wall with gray baseboard. I want to cover the baseboard for a clean look and didn't want to mess with removing it or modifying it....not very handy.

I do like the idea of rope lights etc ...but I think I am shooting for a very clean, simple looking room. After the modifications of screen wall, and partial velvet ceiling (repainting the black ceiling too)....down the road in the next 12 months. I plan on doing a fabricmate (type) wall surface on the other three walls, incorporating the acoustical treatments.

thanks again for the suggestions
ellisr63 likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #1143 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
You can also use screws to secure the wall portion of the velcro and use the adhesive for the frame side. By not using the adhesive part on the wall you should be able to prevent the damage you were worried about.
That's a good idea. Thanks

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #1144 of 1340 Old 07-29-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Use lower strength velcro. The industrial stuff, hardly comes apart. You could also use trim head tek screws, but if you do that, be sure you know exactly where the screws are located, since you will have a hard time finding them, if you don't.

I looked up trim head tek screws. Thanks for the suggestion...looks great.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1145 of 1340 Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
I looked up trim head tek screws. Thanks for the suggestion...looks great.
Happy to help.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1146 of 1340 Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
You are correct Mike, velcro is always a decent option. My only hesitation is my past experience with the industrial velcro tearing the heck out of the wall. One other consideration I had, but didn't bring up was the frame covering the baseboard. The panel will be slightly away from the wall (coming over the baseboard). I didn't want to remove the baseboard, so using the velcro will have the panel closer to the top of the wall and laying over the baseboard. I think a french cleat as an alternative would hang the panel far enough away from the top of the wall and coming down in front of the baseboard.

The french cleat offers an interesting option to pressure mounting.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
I have had good results stapling the velcro to various frame materials(wood, mdf, soundboard) and drywall, so it does not pull off when you remove the panel. Also, don't need to use a huge amount of velcro to hold most panels in place.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1147 of 1340 Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered some Royalty velevet from JoAnnes 3 days ago and was wondering when it was going to arrive so i called them today... They told me they are all out of stock , and had cancelled my order. Sure would have been nice if they would have told me! I don't know how long it will be now before I can finish off the soffits with the Royalty velvet. I needed 20 yards to finish off the frame around the AT screen, and the soffits. They said they will send me a 50% off coupon in the mail that will be good for the rest of the year.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1148 of 1340 Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I ordered some Royalty velevet from JoAnnes 3 days ago and was wondering when it was going to arrive so i called them today... They told me they are all out of stock , and had cancelled my order. Sure would have been nice if they would have told me! I don't know how long it will be now before I can finish off the soffits with the Royalty velvet. I needed 20 yards to finish off the frame around the AT screen, and the soffits. They said they will send me a 50% off coupon in the mail that will be good for the rest of the year.
The same thing happened to me, they canceled my 50 yard order 2 days after I placed it. They said the online store does not share the same warehouse as the local stores and that my store's warehouse in Ohio has 500+ yards in stock.

easy right? just go to the store where I ordered the original 40 yards and provide the 50% coupon. except... the velvet is now 30% off and they don't let you use coupons on a discount. This was painful, but it took a 1/2 hour to convince the manager to charge me for full price and apply the discount. At that point I ordered 10 extra yards so I now have 100 yards for the rest of this project. I already used up 30 yards covering the front screen area + left side wall.

Do you have a store within reasonable driving distance that you can order from?
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1149 of 1340 Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The same thing happened to me, they canceled my 50 yard order 2 days after I placed it. They said the online store does not share the same warehouse as the local stores and that my store's warehouse in Ohio has 500+ yards in stock.

easy right? just go to the store where I ordered the original 40 yards and provide the 50% coupon. except... the velvet is now 30% off and they don't let you use coupons on a discount. This was painful, but it took a 1/2 hour to convince the manager to charge me for full price and apply the discount. At that point I ordered 10 extra yards so I now have 100 yards for the rest of this project. I already used up 30 yards covering the front screen area + left side wall.

I will have to try the local store again... I was only able to get about 12 yards last time from them (in stock)... This was at least 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't gotten more in.

post #1150 of 1340 Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The local stores can order it from their warehouse. It's a special order but in both cases my order arrived within 3 business days.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1151 of 1340 Old 08-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just had a great customer service experience with Protostar. I had ordered several 4x2 FlockBoard veneer sheets. They had mistakenly shipped 2x2s. When I contacted them about a return they just said they'd send the 4x2s and that I should just keep the 2x2s. Bryan Greer at FPI-Protostar is one of the good guys.
ellisr63 likes this.

Life is Lambertian
post #1152 of 1340 Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
I just had a great customer service experience with Protostar. I had ordered several 4x2 FlockBoard veneer sheets. They had mistakenly shipped 2x2s. When I contacted them about a return they just said they'd send the 4x2s and that I should just keep the 2x2s. Bryan Greer at FPI-Protostar is one of the good guys.
NICE, just goes to show that the shipping cost is probably close to the cost of the product..
Craig Peer likes this.
post #1153 of 1340 Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I've been off line for several weeks....working and updating my HT. I took last week off and had several companies come to the house to do some updates etc. One company, took out the two windows in our HT (left framing in place). On the outside of the house the window (framing) is covered by faux shutters. Inside, I now have no evidence of windows...now just a wall.

Changes to help the black hole:

Purchased stretcher bars and commando cloth to make framing for my screen wall. The paneled frames turned out great. To mount the frames to the wall, I used brad nails to mount furring strips (painted black...just in case). I stapled a 3M hook type velcro (works great...but more expensive) to both the panels and furring strips.

I repainted the ceiling using medium quality Benjamin Moore, flat black paint (just asked the shop keep to give me the blackest black you could make). I hate painting ceilings, but they turned out pretty good. Painting black on black with can lights shinning in your face is not an easy task. I am pleased with the results.

Last project I am working on is covering 7 2x4 ft panels with commando cloth and mounting them at first four feet from the screen wall on the ceiling. Why 2x4...easier to work with.

I'll take some pics when I am done. Thanks to all who have been so nice to share their experiences and tips. I think I'll live with the new look for a while. Next year will be fabricmate system for the 3 walls (non-screen walls).

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1154 of 1340 Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Nice, cool picture.

Thanks, makes me want to add a few more.
That would give away my secrets...just kidding.

Such a shame
post #1155 of 1340 Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
Made my own version black screen wall plus roll up/roll down DIY masking, and black side walls for trials at the moment.
Looks like you manually turn the rod to raise and lower mask, does the fabric roll up evenly?
Do you have a rod for weight in the bottom of the mask?
Can you show us what the support brackets look like and what provides the tension to prevent the mask from rolling down?

Guessing they are drapery rod holder with locking thumb screws?
post #1156 of 1340 Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have the same experience, Velvet on sale...asked to get charged the full price, so I could use the coupon. The manager said no. I called corporate office and explained that I took my $200 somewhere else and placed an order online. I did not argue with the manager, nor treat him rudely in any way....so this wasn't I'll show this rude customer who is in charge. This was simply IMHO, an instance that the manager was not treating his business as if he owned it. The reality is the velvet will come off sale in days or weeks and as they normally do, will have a coupon available to get the "better deal". So, by not taking that profit now (he had the authority to do so per the corporate office) he missed out on a sale. What made the decision easier for me was the fact they were charging me $17 to ship the velvet (that they were low on instock) to their store...so I was paying for shipment due to their low stock. For $17 ship it to my house...no problem, but shipping it to the store and have me drive to pick it up....gave me another reason to shop elsewhere.

Not surprisingly, I asked to have their district manage call me....it's been two weeks and no call.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1157 of 1340 Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
NICE, just goes to show that the shipping cost is probably close to the cost of the product..
I just had the same thing happen on two acoustical panels (4'x2'x2"). After I hung them I noticed both had minor "stocking runs" in the material. After a few images they agreed to replace them and stated I would have to ship back the originals or they could refund me 50% and call it a day. I decided to swap them and they stated they wouldn't ship new hardware so there would be less bouncing around in the package. OK...

Ended up they shipped new hardware (the new panels were fine) and when I contacted them twice about returning the old panels they changed their mind and stated... they are yours to keep. I'm guessing they only stated I would have to return them (early on) so I wouldn't think I would end up with two for free... now my unfinished area is quieter ... hate to just pitch them.
post #1158 of 1340 Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been trying Protostar Hi-Tack on the curved front of my metal screen casing for a few weeks. For uncertain reasons it seems to stick well in most places but not others. In particular it is not sticking around the edges of the fabric. I do like the color, or blackness if you prefer.

A while back I emailed Protostar with some questions which they have ignored so I will ask them here:

In various places I have read that the 2' x 4' and 2' x 2' panels are veneer or thin plastic backed. Intended for drop ceilings. In my case I would be nailing them to the existing ceiling which is 12" x 12" acoustic tile with a North to South lath backing at the tile seams.

1. Are these panels suitable to be hung on nails (#18 probably)?
2. Are they sufficiently stiff that the 2' x 4' panels could be nailed in their corners and not sag in the middle?
3. Is the fabric applied such that panels placed adjacent to one another do not show the seams?
post #1159 of 1340 Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone looking for the royalty 3, 60% off through Thursday. in store and online

http://www.joann.com/coupon/
ellisr63 and MiniHT like this.
post #1160 of 1340 Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Figures... I just got mine last week and it was on sale for $13.99 so I got no discount.

post #1161 of 1340 Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
We need to get our hands on this stuff. Anyone have a NASA contact? :P

http://gizmodo.com/why-nasa-launched...-ma-1625501095
post #1162 of 1340 Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the coupon. Sadly, when I put the final panels underneath the screen....it just didn't work for me visually. The commando color vs the dark black screen frame was too much of the contrast in color. Plus, since my room isnt' huge, the panel framing around the screen created a perception of a smaller room. The framing also called attention to the fact my screen is off set due to a door leading into the room (which creates an aisle way).

All that being said, I think I will replace the commando cloth with the joann velvet (used a swatch on a panel to view it against the screen frame and it has a more pleasing look. I am considering not having panels underneath the screen frame (doesn't look odd) and just repainting that section the dark black I used on the ceiling.

Hate to spend another $125 to replace perfectly good material...but once I've invested in all the stretcher bars etc...hard not to invest a little more to get it just right (or as good as possible).

Tonight, I will cut to size prostar material to try on the top of the speakers tonight (instead of velvet). I purchased some removable "poster squares" from 3M. They appear thin enough and hopefully will create a secure bond and yet as stated removable without damaging the speaker finish. If it works on top of the speakers, I'll order more and do the same on the sides.

One thing I noticed in making the changes to the room, I was seeing light shine off the side of the speakers during certain scenes. That's a good testament to the impact the rest of the light absorption project has accomplished.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator

Last edited by rboster; 08-27-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #1163 of 1340 Old 08-28-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Much appreciated Zombie! Snagged the last 10yds they had in stock on my way home from work. Upgrading to a PJ within a month or 2, the plan is to make my small room a "Black Hole." Obviously not nearly enough to do everything, but it's a start.

Again, thanks for the heads up!
post #1164 of 1340 Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to Doug (airscapes) contribution, I installed commando cloth covered panels on my ceiling about 4 ft out from the screen wall. Since much of what I do (handy work) is by myself, I have to find alternatives to some projects. In this case, installing two 7 foot (14 ft wide room) plywood panels and nailing them to the ceiling is near impossible...I used 7 two ft by 4 ft panels and nailed them to the ceiling. I don't remember the exact name of the wood product (I will check and post later), but it's marketed as wood used in the bottom of desk or cabinet draws etc. I sprayed both the cloth and boards with 3M spray adhesive and let them dry over night. I trimmed the corners on the backside of the panel and taped each corner using black duct tape to secure the corners. Purchased a brad/stapler with compression tank and went to work. Even my wife was impressed with the impact it had on the screen.

As many have stated, I am now looking for other ways to darken the screen wall (area). Thinking of installing similar panels on the sides behind the two large bass traps which are mounted on both side walls near the corners.

The last component are two monster bass traps with underlying scatter plates from GIK acoustics to install behind the second row seating (now that there is no window there). Even though I reasoned with acoustic material installed in the windows, there was no acoustic benefits to taking the windows out ....it's had a great secondary impact of living up the room. The sound has improved.

Ron

PS: Just reread my post....no pun intended by combining words, "handy work" and "by myself" in the same sentence. Softball ...I know
cardoski likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator

Last edited by rboster; 09-02-2014 at 07:53 AM.
post #1165 of 1340 Old 09-06-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

How long does it take to get your Pro-Star? I placed my order 8 days ago and have not heard a word from them.

post #1166 of 1340 Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's normal. Usually about two weeks. Kind of strange but that's been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1167 of 1340 Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwebs View Post
That's normal. Usually about two weeks. Kind of strange but that's been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I emailed them on the 5th, and they have not responded... I have tried calling but they don't answer nor do they have a way to leave a message. I am very disappointed in their business practices... If there is a problem they should at least let me know when I can expect it to be resolved. Does anyone know if Prostar is still in business?

Last edited by ellisr63; 09-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #1168 of 1340 Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Added some black out to sides, working on ceiling.[IMG][/IMG]
post #1169 of 1340 Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Just received the ok to turn my 24ftW X 30ftL X 9ft H garage into a Home Theatre. So excited had to share, it will be a dark pit of course, the idea will be a room that disappears. I am actually thinking of making the room smaller, maybe 20ft wide by 20 long with my equipment outside the room and a little port for the PJ. I want this to me a no compromise on picture performance, the only lights in the room will be flash lights.lol I will make a build log when I get to it. However it will be a long time in the making likely will not start for months. I plan on using Velvet as I did in my current room, I don't think there is anything that matches its performance. At least that I know of.
Craig Peer likes this.

James Reid:D
post #1170 of 1340 Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Just received the ok to turn my 24ftW X 30ftL X 9ft H garage into a Home Theatre. So excited had to share, it will be a dark pit of course, the idea will be a room that disappears. I am actually thinking of making the room smaller, maybe 20ft wide by 20 long with my equipment outside the room and a little port for the PJ. I want this to me a no compromise on picture performance, the only lights in the room will be flash lights.lol I will make a build log when I get to it. However it will be a long time in the making likely will not start for months. I plan on using Velvet as I did in my current room, I don't think there is anything that matches its performance. At least that I know of.

Building a vented projector closet was one of the best things I ever did. I don't care how loud or quiet a projector is. I can't hear them at all now. No port glass needed either. Have fun with this !!
cardoski likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page