"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1253 Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I've been thinking about adding a blacked out box type thing in front of my screen for a while now.
The best image I could find of something with a similar shape is . This is not my image, but I couldn't find a way to discribe what it was. I'd assume its been done before.
Once I heard/read adding velvet in front of and above made the room feel taller I knew its something I want to try.
Anyone else have a name for it, maybe tried it?
It would obviously be much larger and would look nicer...there would be angled pieces top and bottom as well...the image ~ centered.
It would be a fun DIY project.

I wonder if it would work?

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-07-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
I've been thinking about adding a blacked out box type thing in front of my screen for a while now.
The best image I could find of something with a similar shape is . This is not my image, but I couldn't find a way to discribe what it was. I'd assume its been done before.
Once I heard/read adding velvet in front of and above made the room feel taller I knew its something I want to try.
It would obviously be much larger and would look nicer...there would be angled pieces top and bottom as well...the image ~ centered.

I am going to be moving my screen back 2 more feet, and covering the wall, and ceiling in black velvet with black carpet on the stage. This will give me a additional 2' deep shadow box for the screen. The rest of the room (when finished will be all black, and blue GOM panels with dark carpet.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1233 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
this thread will keep you busy for a while.

The blackest, most flat paint. Period.

page 98 has some photos of the Rosco Velour black
I used Rosco before and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the most out of it (user error )...but I ended up with B Moore Black and felt it gave me a darker appearance overall.
post #1234 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I used Rosco before and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the most out of it (user error )...but I ended up with B Moore Black and felt it gave me a darker appearance overall.
I have compared B Moore with Rosco and for me Rosco was much darker. I used it as directed 1-1 paint water ratio. In fact the painter said it was the darkest
paint he had even used.
post #1235 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 431
My entire room was done in Rosco...used no water at all to maximize thickness...incredible how flat it is and masks reflections.
post #1236 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I am going to be moving my screen back 2 more feet, and covering the wall, and ceiling in black velvet with black carpet on the stage. This will give me a additional 2' deep shadow box for the screen. The rest of the room (when finished will be all black, and blue GOM panels with dark carpet.
I had considered mounting it flat on the walls, screen, floor, ceiling etc and realize when the lights are out you probably won't see/know the difference but the idea didn't really appeal to me. If I'm losing the floor space (small closet of a theater) I thought I could give it some character. In theory the angled panels being deep themselves might help to add depth to the image and possibly help with getting pulled into the scene.
Closest to the seats each piece would be touching the floor, wall or ceiling. At the screen they would be nearly touching the screen right at the border of the projected image.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-08-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #1237 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had considered mounting it flat on the walls, screen, floor, ceiling etc and realize when the lights are out you probably won't see/know the difference but the idea didn't really appeal to me. If I'm losing the floor space (small closet of a theater) I though I could give it some character. In theory the angled panels being deep themselves might help to add depth to the image and possibly help with getting pulled into the scene.
Closest to the seats each piece would be touching the floor, wall or ceiling. At the screen they would be nearly touching the screen right at the border of the projected image.
I currently have 6' behind the screen for my speakers... So moving it back 2' will put my speakers almost at the wall (in front of wall treatments). When I move the screen back the side walls, I anticipate that will have a little bit of angle to them... Coming out out about 6" (not much, but it is all the room I have). This could change, and i could leave them straight, as I am unsure which will work the best for light absorption.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1238 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
I put up a 4' long section of ProStar velvet on our flat black ceiling... WOW, I couldn't believe how much better it looks! I am doing it by myself and found out it is a bit hard to do it wrinkle free, but it is so black you can't tell where the wrinkles are. I rubbed it good to get it to adhere and part of it came loose after about 10 minutes... I have went and re rubbed it a few times since and it seems to be holding. We will see how it is in a day or two.
The peel and stick doesn't hold on ceilings very well. I would use it with a combination of staples. I personally did 3 roll widths back from the screen and just used staples. I then covered the staples with small pieces of left over material to ensure no reflections from the staples. It wasn't that hard.
ellisr63 likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1239 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The peel and stick doesn't hold on ceilings very well. I would use it with a combination of staples. I personally did 3 roll widths back from the screen and just used staples. I then covered the staples with small pieces of left over material to ensure no reflections from the staples. It wasn't that hard.
The staples held in drywall? I ended up wrapping the ProStar around pegboard, and then using sheetrock screws (at an angle) to hold the 2' x 4' panels to the ceiling.

post #1240 of 1253 Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 377
No issues with the staples at all.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1241 of 1253 Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I used staples in my current room for velvet and it has held great.

In my new room out in the garage, I plan on making panels and stapling the velvet to them. This will give me the tightest cleanest finish. If only there was some 50in triple black velvet to wrap around 4x8 OSB. This stuff I have is 44in, so I was thinking of cutting the 4x8 OSB to 36in from 48. This gives me 4in of material on each side of the panel to wrap around. Should go up nice and easy.
ellisr63 likes this.

James Reid:D
post #1242 of 1253 Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome thread guys! My new home is due for completion in 4-5 weeks and I have read this thread twice in the last couple of days. Awesome friendly advice and ideas.
I will be using lots of the ideas and would love if you could follow and help me through my build.
post #1243 of 1253 Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question on the use of peg board with the velvet.

I bought a solid sheet of 2'x4' board, but not peg board. Is there a specific reason to use the peg?
Did you have to trim the 2'x4' to fit in the ceiling grid?

I intend to cover the first couple of ceiling tile rows in front of the screen with my black velvet using 3M spray.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1244 of 1253 Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbox46 View Post
Quick question on the use of peg board with the velvet.

I bought a solid sheet of 2'x4' board, but not peg board. Is there a specific reason to use the peg?
Did you have to trim the 2'x4' to fit in the ceiling grid?

I intend to cover the first couple of ceiling tile rows in front of the screen with my black velvet using 3M spray.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I used pegboard because it was cheaper, and lighter than a solid board. I just did mine as 2'x4', and then on one end I am doing a 6"x4' to fill... Once you have it up there you won't see the seams.
I wrapped the velvet around the back of the pegboard to ensure that it would not come loose. Mine is on a sheetrock ceiling though not ceiling tiled.

post #1245 of 1253 Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere in this thread but would like to make sure I'm getting the answer I'm looking for. Currently I have a white drop ceiling and will need to convert it over to black for a not-so-serious theater build. Black tiles are kind of expensive and I'm considering wrapping the white tiles in a black fabric instead. Anyone has any good experience with doing this? I figure they could be glued to the panels but I'm guessing that wrapping around the edges is going to create fitment issues. Is velvet the only way to go? Anyone have a direct link to the actual velvet material that they have used?
post #1246 of 1253 Old 10-13-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I had pretty much the same idea. Because my HT room is also a living room. But there are issues. Mobility/ease of use is the prime one. What kind of construction should one use? Will it be foldable? How will it attach/detach from screen and how the other ends of "tube" will be mounted? And the most important question - how much time and effort will it consume just to install it (not speaking about constructing)? I imagine I will give up after 3rd time.
Also, it might interfere with sound depending on how extended you want this tube to be.
post #1247 of 1253 Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
I had pretty much the same idea. Because my HT room is also a living room. But there are issues. Mobility/ease of use is the prime one. What kind of construction should one use? Will it be foldable? How will it attach/detach from screen and how the other ends of "tube" will be mounted? And the most important question - how much time and effort will it consume just to install it (not speaking about constructing)? I imagine I will give up after 3rd time.
Also, it might interfere with sound depending on how extended you want this tube to be.
I'll probably make templates/copies out of cardboard (to see how it fits and looks, work out the kinks) and if I like it build a frame with 1×2's.
First frame(s), then fill with Ruxol Safe & Sound, wrap all sides in light poly and a final wrap with velvet or AT blackout cloth from Seymour.
In my current room I have access to behind the screen from the right side. This side of the assembly would need to be removable.
I wonder if it would work/be of any benefit visually.
post #1248 of 1253 Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I currently have 6' behind the screen for my speakers... So moving it back 2' will put my speakers almost at the wall (in front of wall treatments). When I move the screen back the side walls, I anticipate that will have a little bit of angle to them... Coming out out about 6" (not much, but it is all the room I have). This could change, and i could leave them straight, as I am unsure which will work the best for light absorption.
I'm still toying with speaker placement, trying to have both excellent 2.0 and 7.1.4.
It already sounds great (2.0 and 7.1)but I am going to try using the dimensions/speaker locations suggested in different calculators.
The first/next will mean moving the screen out to nearly 6' which I'm not too impressed with. That said I'd rather incredible 2.0 than have an extra few seats.
With Atmos coming out (up to 28 speaker locations at home) I'm tempted to change directions and start over using all identical concentric speakers.
Next year maybe.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-16-2014 at 01:21 PM.
post #1249 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how would you guys implement a black theater when using milliskin for at. the speakers would be behind the screen. if only the screen is at, wouldnt using velvet for the surrounding areas outside the screen degrade the sound quality? any way to get around this? thanks
post #1250 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshade View Post
how would you guys implement a black theater when using milliskin for at. the speakers would be behind the screen. if only the screen is at, wouldnt using velvet for the surrounding areas outside the screen degrade the sound quality? any way to get around this? thanks
Not really sure how milliskin would be different from any other AT screen material? Unless your soundstage is also being used for 2-ch stereo, I believe the recommended position for L and R behind an AT screen would be at the boundary of the screen itself and not the frame border which would then also dictate the distance you sit from the screen. This is one of the reasons I chose a 16:9 screen vs. scope (2.35-2.40:1) in CIH setup. When watching 16:9 content I don't have to worry about "not so" black borders on the sides and not being able to use masking panels. As long as the direct sound has a clear path to the MLP, I wouldn't be too concerned about reflections being obstructed by the velvet.
post #1251 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

The large version of that would be gathered black velvet curtains, floor to ceiling, on each side of your screen. That is what I have now.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1252 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The large version of that would be gathered black velvet curtains, floor to ceiling, on each side of your screen. That is what I have now.
Is it better than just having a non gathered wall of velvet?

post #1253 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Not sure I want drapes in this room.
I was kind of looking for something different, something that gave a bit more character to the smallish already darkened room.
I'd have drapes/curtains in a larger room.
post #1254 of 1253 Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Is it better than just having a non gathered wall of velvet?
Should trap light better.
ellisr63 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page