"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1261 of 1340 Old 10-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Yes both pictures taken from the same place.

My screen is hidden above the blinds behind a pelmet in the ceiling.

Here are a few more pictures.

Basically covering the back wall and floor is one big sheet of Molton black fabric supported by a rope that hangs off hooks in the wall either side. These are hidden behind the pelmet.

The ceiling is a length of Molton black fabric with wood at either end I have stapled the fabric to it.

To attach it to the ceiling I have had to remove the light from the center of the celing, its attached to the celing by wing nuts so I take the light down and put the wood back in its place.

At the other end it is supported by threaded bar hooks I have made these hang from eyes I have screwed in to wood hidden behind my trusty pelmet.

To get tension in the fabric I have screwed eyes into the wood supporting the ceiling fabric and I slide these onto the threaded rod I then screw a nut onto the threaded bar. The more I turn the nut up the rod the tighter the fabric gets.

And finally the sides the are supported by wooden poles at the top with hooks screwed in at either end these hang off the wood supporting the ceiling fabric and another hook hidden behind the pelmet.

I think that about covers it if I made any sense at allŪ†ĹŪłÄ
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 10-26-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1340 Old 10-26-2014, 06:05 PM

opps
post #1263 of 1340 Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Awesome job! That's dedication. But what a pay-off.

Btw,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post

So in 10 minutes my living room goes from this:

To this:
My room goes from a bright room into a black velvet box...

...in about 20 seconds.

That's the benefit of curtains, that I often write about.

Info in case interested:

Rich H's Variable Image Size Home Theater - Build Thread - Completed!
post #1264 of 1340 Old 10-26-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the clarification Adam. Yes, that all makes sense now.
Great work and very inspiring.
post #1265 of 1340 Old 10-27-2014, 03:04 AM

Looks like you have been very busy harkness.

I like your idea of curtains but I can't hide the tracks in my room.

I am guessing you have a pelmet running the entire length of your room?
post #1266 of 1340 Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Looks like you have been very busy harkness.

I like your idea of curtains but I can't hide the tracks in my room.

I am guessing you have a pelmet running the entire length of your room?
I'm not good with building terms, but whatever it's called, we built down a portion of the ceiling to be covered with
fabric both for light bounce rejection, sound absorption, and to contain the pot lights. We left space between the perimeter of the build-down and the existing walls. It's one of the best design decisions we made as I've been able to hid all manner of curtain tracks and other mechanical stuff up there, keeping everything neat looking.
post #1267 of 1340 Old 10-28-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
My room goes from a bright room into a black velvet box...
...in about 20 seconds.

That's the benefit of curtains, that I often write about.

Info in case interested:
Rich H's Variable Image Size Home Theater - Build Thread - Completed!
Reading your build was the final big push that made me go black and fabric..and want room-tracking curtains (which I ended up not finding proper supplies for, so fell a ways short).

I hope to inch closer to that fast-switch, no compromises situation at some point.
Has anyone found a fast-change way to darken/lighten the ceiling, similar to the curtained walls (maybe on a thread page that I missed)?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #1268 of 1340 Old 11-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How black is your room

For all of those with a "bat cave", here is a test for you.

1) Zoom your 16:9 projector to be 10% smaller than your screen (so that the left hand side of the screen is not illuminated by the projector).

2) using a calibration disk, put up a window at 100% full white.

3) Measure the brightness of the 100% white. coming off the screen, and measure the light coming off the 10% left hand portion of the screen. This portion of the screen is only lit by reflected light.

4) What is the ratio of the 100% window to the un-illumunated screen.

Note: you may find it difficult to make this measurement, as the light level on the unlit portion of the screen is very low. One way to do this is to take a picture (using an SLR in manual mode, raw picture), making sure not to saturate the picture.

Then use software that reads the pixels in raw linear format (e.g. IRIS free software http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm ). Convert the Bayer raw pixel values into a 16 bit black and white picture, and compare the 100% white to the 10% left white screen (illuminated by reflections only).

The absolute scale doesn't matter, I'm only interested in the ratio.
I have not done this myself - as my room is hardly a bat cave (I have mid brown walls but a white ceiling). Perhaps I will make the measurement and report back.
post #1269 of 1340 Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 331
The screen material will make a difference with this type of test.

Last edited by Seegs108; 11-02-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #1270 of 1340 Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The screen material will make a difference with type of test.
True, so list the screen material when making the test,
post #1271 of 1340 Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

First time poster here. I have been doing some research/ forum browsing in regards to light treating home theater rooms. I have a dedicated home theater room with an open back leading into an open plan kitchen.

My gear consists of:
JAMO CONCERT D870s as fronts(pm7004), D830s as surrounds, D8 center (biamp from a marantz pm7004), Concert 80 rear surrounds, and a C80 sub. My preamp/processing amp is a Yamaha rx v1075.
Projector is a panasonic ptae1000 on a 100inch electric screen.
My room is 3.5m wide, 2.5m high and 4.5m long.

So my idea is to run black felt on both sides of the screen wall(these will be about 100mm behind the screen), paint the screen roll housing matt black, line 1m out from the screen on both sides and the ceiling with black felt and have a red rug directly underneath the screen.

My question is, will this be enough to get the image to 'float' as it were and have no or very little wall/ceiling reflections?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron
post #1272 of 1340 Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Lett View Post
Hi guys,

First time poster here. I have been doing some research/ forum browsing in regards to light treating home theater rooms. I have a dedicated home theater room with an open back leading into an open plan kitchen.

My gear consists of:
JAMO CONCERT D870s as fronts(pm7004), D830s as surrounds, D8 center (biamp from a marantz pm7004), Concert 80 rear surrounds, and a C80 sub. My preamp/processing amp is a Yamaha rx v1075.
Projector is a panasonic ptae1000 on a 100inch electric screen.
My room is 3.5m wide, 2.5m high and 4.5m long.

So my idea is to run black felt on both sides of the screen wall(these will be about 100mm behind the screen), paint the screen roll housing matt black, line 1m out from the screen on both sides and the ceiling with black felt and have a red rug directly underneath the screen.

My question is, will this be enough to get the image to 'float' as it were and have no or very little wall/ceiling reflections?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron
It should certainly help. Blacking out the screen wall and floor / ceiling adjacent to the screen made a big improvement in my theater. I'd use black rugs if I were you under the screen - you can buy them on line at Walmart. As far as that open back area - curtains or drapes possible that look decorative and slide out of the way when not in use ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1273 of 1340 Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also designed my HT to look homey, living room by day and convert to a HT at night. I have a motorized AT screen come down from the ceiling to accomplish a large part of this.
I also thought about putting up black velvet curtains that I could open and close, however by doing so I'd be covering the acoustic panels on the wall. Is there a workaround that I'm missing?
Thx
post #1274 of 1340 Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I also designed my HT to look homey, living room by day and convert to a HT at night. I have a motorized AT screen come down from the ceiling to accomplish a large part of this.
I also thought about putting up black velvet curtains that I could open and close, however by doing so I'd be covering the acoustic panels on the wall. Is there a workaround that I'm missing?
Thx
Not sure if it is something you would want to do but I do removeable velvet panels.. Embedded metal strips at the top of the wall, magnets held on the back of velvet with gaffer tape.. see this link for some pics and some comments once photo is clicked on. Livingroom update for projection.
You could make multiple panels surrounding your acoustic treatment..
post #1275 of 1340 Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Not sure if it is something you would want to do but I do removeable velvet panels.. Embedded metal strips at the top of the wall, magnets held on the back of velvet with gaffer tape.. see this link for some pics and some comments once photo is clicked on. Livingroom update for projection.
You could make multiple panels surrounding your acoustic treatment..
thanks, thought not sure how much difference it would make in terms of blackening the room as the acoustic panels take up a large section of the wall between the screen and seats
post #1276 of 1340 Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Installed a new carpet in my room yesterday, it replaces a scabbed together mess of several 4x3' mats taped together. This new carpet is 4 4x12 sections of carpet taped together, however it looks seamless, also the carpet is much darker then the mats were. What a difference a darker carpet makes, still not as dark as the velvet on the walls but an improvement. My room is now about 80% black. Still have to make my speaker covers and a few curtains then I might just have the darkest HT on the planet.lol

James Reid:D
post #1277 of 1340 Old 11-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 588
I thought about this thread the other night. I have the 1" frames of my first reflection panels/bass traps covered with Protostar as the light coming off the screen lights these frames up and is eye catching. It's amazing how something this small and simple can be such a visual distraction which you don't realize until you go back to it uncovered. I had about a 2' piece peel off (the adhesive backing on the protostar is garbage) and right away as I sat down with the lights down and previews playing it caught my eye as something was clearly different in my room. It is amazing to me how distracting it was going back to this uncovered piece of frame after how used I am to them covered up now! Went over and fixed the issue and all was right with my front viewing stage again. Goes to show how visually distracting even the small little details type things can be and going to the effort to treat even these areas is worth the effort.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1278 of 1340 Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, the darker the room gets the more little things show up. I recently put a second sub in my front sound stage. It is like a spotlight in my room because it is uncovered.

Last edited by cardoski; 11-23-2014 at 08:39 PM.
post #1279 of 1340 Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I thought about this thread the other night. I have the 1" frames of my first reflection panels/bass traps covered with Protostar as the light coming off the screen lights these frames up and is eye catching. It's amazing how something this small and simple can be such a visual distraction which you don't realize until you go back to it uncovered. I had about a 2' piece peel off (the adhesive backing on the protostar is garbage) and right away as I sat down with the lights down and previews playing it caught my eye as something was clearly different in my room. It is amazing to me how distracting it was going back to this uncovered piece of frame after how used I am to them covered up now! Went over and fixed the issue and all was right with my front viewing stage again. Goes to show how visually distracting even the small little details type things can be and going to the effort to treat even these areas is worth the effort.
Exactly my experience.

And that extends even to masking an image perfectly IMO. I was watching a movie last night and then noticed the top of the image didn't quite reach the masking. It left probably about an inch or two of projected "black" between the edge of the image and the upper masking. So I adjusted the masking down to cover it and, as usually, I immediately apprechated the difference. You may not directly note a fuzziness to one of the borders, until it's removed, and then it just looks that much more exact, that much better.

I was giddy looking at my image, framed with a razor's edge black, against a perfectly pitch black background, and this was with an old family drama (Kramer vs Kramer).

I've ordered one last velvet curtain, the final piece in my puzzle, to slide across the current dark brown velvet curtain that covers my doorway. Then every surface in view of the image will have been made perfect pitch black.
Toe, Craig Peer and cardoski like this.
post #1280 of 1340 Old 11-23-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Offtopic question! How do you fight dust in all these velvety-carpety environments?
post #1281 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post
Offtopic question! How do you fight dust in all these velvety-carpety environments?
Well, dust is typically not a problem on walls, so I have vacuum occasionally just like any other room in then house.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #1282 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Well, dust is typically not a problem on walls, so I have vacuum occasionally just like any other room in then house.
Now this brings up a question. How many guys vac and clean their dedicated rooms or does the wife clean your dedicated room, when cleaning the house. In my house, for vac, I would say it is 50/50. For dusting off equipment it is 100% me.
ellisr63 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1283 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Now this brings up a question. How many guys vac and clean their dedicated rooms or does the wife clean your dedicated room, when cleaning the house. In my house, for vac, I would say it is 50/50. For dusting off equipment it is 100% me.
Any cleaning in the HT is 100% my job.
Elix likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #1284 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I live alone so I have no choice but to do both. My girlfriend says I do a good job.

post #1285 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
My wife rarely goes into our room.I (almost) prefer it that way.
post #1286 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Any cleaning in the HT is 100% my job.

Same here. There is only one thing in the theater that's a problem - popcorn spills on the black carpeting.
ellisr63 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1287 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Even though I am happily married, I consider myself a "single parent" relative to the HT. It's my "child" and no one else is going to raise her. So I do all the necessary up keep.
Jonny5nz likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #1288 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Same here. There is only one thing in the theater that's a problem - popcorn spills on the black carpeting.
Yeah, there is also no doubt black carpeting shows more things like lint, strands, etc. It's like having a black car that shows everything.

post #1289 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We have a cleaning lady who does a vacuum of the room and sofa, but other than that I do cleaning care of the HT room (vacuuming it as well). Vertical surfaces don't build up dust very quickly, but horizontal surfaces do. I probably vacuum, gently, the black velveted "stage" portion under my screen around once every month or two (at most).

For the black velvet covers on my speakers, I'll use a swifter duster, or lint remover.

I have a black velvet material I throw on the floor sometimes to cover the rest of the carpet, making it pitch black for a movie.
But that is usually folded away in an ottoman and so it doesn't pick up dust quickly, and when it does a quick shake outside on the porch completely removes it.
post #1290 of 1340 Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Just me here, I am a chronic duster and vacumer.lol

James Reid:D
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page