"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 59 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1741 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
I've just started 'blacking out' my HT room.... finally. Most of the room will be dark except for a few spots. I'm not done yet but I can post some pics of the progress if you're interested.

There is a mix of materials. On the ceiling I am using a leftover roll of black burlap. This is the ceiling right in front of the screen. The side, rear and upper walls will have this black lined ECOSE rigid fiberglass that is acoustic treatment and also black. On the side and rear walls I've constructed a support system for all my acoustic treatment. Some of it is painted black but the rest of it was bare wood so what I did is I bought a 250' roll of Protostar black velvet tape. That stuff is awesome!! I've been applying that to all the bare wood as it's just the 1.5" side showing which is perfect size for the tape. Man that stuff is dark! It looks as dark as that triple plush black velvet I have but I'll have to compare. Last the area around the actual screen will be triple plush black velvet. I'll eventually put more in other spots if I think I need it but my room was 100% not black before. So this will be a HUGE upgrade. Next up will have to be the floor.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I've just started 'blacking out' my HT room.... finally. Most of the room will be dark except for a few spots. I'm not done yet but I can post some pics of the progress if you're interested.

There is a mix of materials. On the ceiling I am using a leftover roll of black burlap. This is the ceiling right in front of the screen. The side, rear and upper walls will have this black lined ECOSE rigid fiberglass that is acoustic treatment and also black. On the side and rear walls I've constructed a support system for all my acoustic treatment. Some of it is painted black but the rest of it was bare wood so what I did is I bought a 250' roll of Protostar black velvet tape. That stuff is awesome!! I've been applying that to all the bare wood as it's just the 1.5" side showing which is perfect size for the tape. Man that stuff is dark! It looks as dark as that triple plush black velvet I have but I'll have to compare. Last the area around the actual screen will be triple plush black velvet. I'll eventually put more in other spots if I think I need it but my room was 100% not black before. So this will be a HUGE upgrade. Next up will have to be the floor.

I like Protostar too. Great stuff !
DavidHir likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1743 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Thanks.

No water was used. This kept it as dark/black and thick as possible. All it took was one time with the roller! This stuff is unlike any kind of paint you've seen before. You do use more of it this way, but I was painting over white walls too. 3 1/2 cans did my entire room which is only around 10' x 13'.

They do state the mixture on the can although I cannot remember it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Mix is 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I agree that the Rosco paint is amazing. I used a 1 to 1 mixture and it was fine on the ceiling. They do not recommend using it without mixing it. I did try it first. unmixed and did not notice any difference. My painter said it was the blackest paint he had ever used.
Glad to hear you guys had success with that paint. When I read thru that paint thread there were a few (or more?) folks saying that they had a hard time working with it and or they were not happy with the results. Others seemed to really like it. @zombie10k you may want to read through that thread to look for ideas on how to have the best results with it.
post #1744 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 588
I found Rosco very easy to work with (unmixed anyway). I will only say, it is a very sensitive paint once dry in that it will very easily leave marks if it's touched and it can be tricky to remove those marks. It might not be a good option if you have kids around or anyone or anything that will be touching the walls. I cannot imagine any other kind of paint being more "flat" though.

post #1745 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I painted my ceiling with Rusco using a 1:1 mix using a roller. It was very easy to apply. The photo shows the result (it looks grey in the photo, but that's because I have flood lights shining up at the ceiling and crappy mobile phone photo). You just need to stir the paint in the tray on a regular basis so that water and pain stay mixed.

I agree it marks very easily, so personally I'd only use it on the ceilings (on the walls I used carpet). What I did find though is that it is very easy to touch up, just used a brush for the touch ups done and you can't tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_194756.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	678265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_075706.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	678281  
post #1746 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I used this Rosco Product after speaking with their Marketing Mgr, it worked well.

Last edited by majek 60; 04-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #1747 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 07:32 PM

Here is a pic before the carpet was put in, it shows the contrast.

post #1748 of 1760 Unread 04-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I found Rosco very easy to work with (unmixed anyway). I will only say, it is a very sensitive paint once dry in that it will very easily leave marks if it's touched and it can be tricky to remove those marks. It might not be a good option if you have kids around or anyone or anything that will be touching the walls. I cannot imagine any other kind of paint being more "flat" though.
I found that using a microfiber cloth will remove the smudges and marks if used very lightly. Give it a try!
DavidHir likes this.
post #1749 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I like Protostar too. Great stuff !

I like Protostar, but velvet is clearly blacker/better when you compare the two like me/Rich showed earlier in this thread and others have found as well. I also was not impressed with the adhesive quality of Protostar as it eventually peels off the metal frames I applied it to on my bass traps/first reflection panels. I have super glued some of these strips which solved the problem, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Bottom line is I ONLY use Protostar in places where velvet cant be used.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1750 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I like Protostar, but velvet is clearly blacker/better when you compare the two like me/Rich showed earlier in this thread and others have found as well. I also was not impressed with the adhesive quality of Protostar as it eventually peels off the metal frames I applied it to on my bass traps/first reflection panels. I have super glued some of these strips which solved the problem, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I use prostar for the tops on my L/C/R speakers which sit near the screen. Since I don't want to glue the prostar to the tops of the speakers, I use painters tape on all four sides and double sided tape attached between the prostar and the painters tape. The painters tape doesn't leave adhesive on the speaker, but gives the prostar a surface to attach to.

Ron
Toe likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
For Sale: PhilipsHUE 3 Par16 bulbs for $100 or entire starter package for $120
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...r16-bulbs.html
post #1751 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You should really start to notice the difference, but it is a slippery slope. Once you start, you look for more ways to improve it, but you are aware of that already, because the same thing happens with speakers and subs. That is how your audio system got to where it is today.
chrisreeves likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #1752 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Where's a good place to pick up the Rosco paint? I'll primarily be using velvet but for some out of the way areas like behind the AT screen I'll likely use paint.
post #1753 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Where's a good place to pick up the Rosco paint? I'll primarily be using velvet but for some out of the way areas like behind the AT screen I'll likely use paint.
Call around as the prices vary greatly for it. Check Rosco's website for suppliers.

It has to be ordered from a supplier and it ships directly from Rosco itself as the paint is made fresh.

post #1754 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I just bought mine from Rose Brand's website, very easy to order and they shipped from NJ to PA in a day.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product815/...int.aspx?tid=2

I've been waiting a year to finish this part of my HT, looking forward to finally getting it done soon.
post #1755 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
You should really start to notice the difference, but it is a slippery slope. Once you start, you look for more ways to improve it, but you are aware of that already, because the same thing happens with speakers and subs. That is how your audio system got to where it is today.

Haha! I know, right?

I can tell it's already setting in. The blackening, I mean. A lot of the room is now black but there are areas that are not and I'm already looking at them like, "I can cover that part too. Yeah, I'll get that covered soon."

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1756 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

One thing that was great about the Protostar for me was that it seemed to be the same material that was used by Carada to cover their screen frames. Since I used a big Carada MasqueradeI used Protostar to cover those areas of the screen wall that were visible around the frame. It's so cohesive looking you don't even notice the Carada screen frame, and it just looks like a white screen built right into the wall, which changes shape on command per movie :-)
Toe likes this.
post #1757 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This company did a good job packing the paint. I was wondering how they were going to ship it.

some of you guys have me tempted to try it without the dilution. I may try a small area first.
DavidHir and majek 60 like this.
post #1758 of 1760 Unread Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just bought mine from Rose Brand's website, very easy to order and they shipped from NJ to PA in a day.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product815/...int.aspx?tid=2

I've been waiting a year to finish this part of my HT, looking forward to finally getting it done soon.
Great - looking forward to hearing how you like working with the paint and how you like the results.

Side note - did you get my email from last night? I received the PicoPro today BTW.
post #1759 of 1760 Unread Today, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This company did a good job packing the paint. I was wondering how they were going to ship it.

some of you guys have me tempted to try it without the dilution. I may try a small area first.
For me, it went on more black that way.

post #1760 of 1760 Unread Today, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't opened the can yet but it feels very heavy / thick when trying to move the paint around inside. What kind of roller did you use? I have enough with the 3 gallon to cover this ceiling area without diluting it. thanks for the info!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 5020ub by PriceGrabber.com