"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1891 of 1924 Unread 06-12-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
This stuff is probably pretty good. And durable! The price and safety, however...

http://www.chembar.com/lord-aeroglaz...ow-outgassing/
Nearly $1,500 for 4 gallons. Crazy. Get the Rosco paint it is great.
DavidHir likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1924 Unread 06-12-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 650
The thing about Rosco...it's true it looks more like a very dark grey or light black when it's dry on the wall, but it's very, very flat and just sucks up light and reflection which is the biggest key. The price is very good IMO for this kind of paint too....and it's safe.

post #1893 of 1924 Unread 06-12-2015, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
The thing about Rosco...it's true it looks more like a very dark grey or light black when it's dry on the wall, but it's very, very flat and just sucks up light and reflection which is the biggest key. The price is very good IMO for this kind of paint too....and it's safe.
I'm going to start with Rosco, then try other things if I need to.

My situation is this: I need something for the underside of my soffit directly above the screen. The screen will be only 5" below the soffit. It's a Stewart 130 G3, and a DPI M-320 HB projector. So, it's a fairly light sensitive screen, with a very bright projector (4,000 lumens). I really need something to soak up the light.
post #1894 of 1924 Unread 06-13-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm going to start with Rosco, then try other things if I need to.

My situation is this: I need something for the underside of my soffit directly above the screen. The screen will be only 5" below the soffit. It's a Stewart 130 G3, and a DPI M-320 HB projector. So, it's a fairly light sensitive screen, with a very bright projector (4,000 lumens). I really need something to soak up the light.
I see. Hmmm, you might be better off with just using Protostar or velvet if the screen is going to be that close.

I have Protostar on my side walls as the edge of my screen is very close to my side walls. It does a very good job although there are darker options, but the Protostar is just so nice and easy to put on. I posted a pic earlier in the thread although I can repost it if you like.

post #1895 of 1924 Unread 06-13-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Nearly $1,500 for 4 gallons. Crazy. Get the Rosco paint it is great.
I agree with rwestly. Don't waste your money on the $1500 stuff.
I have not seen anything blacker than Roscoe Super Sat black.. Once you try it, you will realize that it is as black as you can get.
I have it, similar to your application, under the soffit. The light hits the soffit at about 1/2" (very close). Therefore, the underside of the soffit is still lit up but less than the usual sherwin williams type paint.
A better option would be the royalty 3 velvet. It works very well. It is better than Roscoe. I could not use it because I didn't have enough to put a frame for the fabric, under the soffit.
http://www.joann.com/royalty-3-velve...velvet&start=2
post #1896 of 1924 Unread 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I see. Hmmm, you might be better off with just using Protostar or velvet if the screen is going to be that close.

I have Protostar on my side walls as the edge of my screen is very close to my side walls. It does a very good job although there are darker options, but the Protostar is just so nice and easy to put on. I posted a pic earlier in the thread although I can repost it if you like.
Thanks. Reposting the picture would be super nice. How well does the protostar stick? Do you think it would look bad to protostar under the soffit by the screen, then Rosco under the rest of the soffit around the room? Protostar under the entire soffit?

How does the protostar looks, aesthetically, compared to Rosco?
post #1897 of 1924 Unread 06-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
I agree with rwestly. Don't waste your money on the $1500 stuff.
I have not seen anything blacker than Roscoe Super Sat black.. Once you try it, you will realize that it is as black as you can get.
I have it, similar to your application, under the soffit. The light hits the soffit at about 1/2" (very close). Therefore, the underside of the soffit is still lit up but less than the usual sherwin williams type paint.
A better option would be the royalty 3 velvet. It works very well. It is better than Roscoe. I could not use it because I didn't have enough to put a frame for the fabric, under the soffit.
http://www.joann.com/royalty-3-velve...velvet&start=2
Haha, no I'm not getting the $1500 stuff. I would consider using velvet, but I need a very professional looking end result, and I'm not sure I could pull that off with velvet because I'm not sure how to apply it.
post #1898 of 1924 Unread 06-14-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. Reposting the picture would be super nice. How well does the protostar stick? Do you think it would look bad to protostar under the soffit by the screen, then Rosco under the rest of the soffit around the room? Protostar under the entire soffit?
The Protostar sticks well to the Rosco paint. Initially, I had just painted the room but decided to add Protostar after especially after getting the Stewart ST100 which is said to be sensitive to reflections. Since my side walls are so close, I figured why not.

The Protostar aesthetically looks nice on the Rosco. It almost looks like a design or wallpaper of sorts blending well. You can see it on the left side wall of the screen. Originally, I had Protstar above the screen and on the ceiling, but took it down as I didn't like the way it looked and wasn't going to offer any more advantage. The side wall was key for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	775345  

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-14-2015 at 07:19 AM.
post #1899 of 1924 Unread 06-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
The Protostar sticks well to the Rosco paint. Initially, I had just painted the room but decided to add Protostar after especially after getting the Stewart ST100 which is said to be sensitive to reflections. Since my side walls are so close, I figured why not.

The Protostar aesthetically looks nice on the Rosco. It almost looks like a design or wallpaper of sorts blending well. You can see it on the left side wall of the screen. Originally, I had Protstar above the screen and on the ceiling, but took it down as I didn't like the way it looked and wasn't going to offer any more advantage. The side wall was key for me.
Thanks. What didn't you like about the way it looked above the screen and on the ceiling? Is the protostar noticeably better at preventing reflections back to the screen than Rosco?
post #1900 of 1924 Unread 06-14-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. What didn't you like about the way it looked above the screen and on the ceiling? Is the protostar noticeably better at preventing reflections back to the screen than Rosco?
When I had to the Protostar fully around the screen it just looked weird. Like the screen was in a cave and the rest of the room was not. I might have gotten used to it, but decided to just stick to the side walls. Yes, Protostar is definitely better for brighter reflections. For the rest of the room not close to the screen, the Rosco works great.

post #1901 of 1924 Unread 06-19-2015, 06:02 PM

What's the difference between Rosco supersaturated and this TV paint? https://www.rosco.com/FTVP/TVPaints.cfm

It actually gives a reflectance value of 3%. Does anyone know the supersatutated reflectance percentage?

Edit: the velour is listed as 2.69% reflectance.

For comparison, the Berger Antireflexfarbe is 2%, and protostar is between .4% and .7%, depending on the angle. That's a big difference!

Last edited by Tin_Can; 06-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.
post #1902 of 1924 Unread 06-20-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not sure. I went with the Supersaturated Velour.

By the way, it's nice to be back to the forum.

I had kidney surgery on Tuesday (partial nephrectomy to remove a tumor that is likely cancerous) that went very well. Recovering from plenty of fatigue and soreness. Looking forward to recouping watching projected movies and taking part again in discussions.

post #1903 of 1924 Unread 06-20-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I had kidney surgery on Tuesday (partial nephrectomy to remove a tumor that is likely cancerous) that went very well. Recovering from plenty of fatigue and soreness. Looking forward to recouping watching projected movies and taking part again in discussions.
Wish you a speedy recovery! Glad to hear e erything went well
DavidHir likes this.
post #1904 of 1924 Unread 06-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Good news, all the best with your recovery!
DavidHir likes this.
post #1905 of 1924 Unread 06-21-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Hope you feel better soon!
DavidHir likes this.
post #1906 of 1924 Unread 06-22-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery, followed by a clean bill of health.

Ron

Enjoy some movies! If you like dark comedies, I recommend "Wild Tales". It will make you gasp and laugh at the same time.
DavidHir likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1907 of 1924 Unread 06-22-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:

The like was for the surgery that went well. Hope that you continue to heal well.
DavidHir likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #1908 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The like was for the surgery that went well. Hope that you continue to heal well.
Thanks. The (5) abdominal incisions they go through to get to the kidney are healing as the surgery was done robotically by the surgeon, but still pretty sore. But there is less and pain and complications with this method. Systematically I am more tired than I expected. I'm only 43, in good shape, workout, eat well, never smoked, etc.

The pathology came back that the mass was indeed cancerous as suspected, but it was a "clear cut" by the surgeon and verified to be fully removed, no spreading, etc. Just need yearly scans for the next five yrs as precautionary. Odds are very slim for recurrence.

All of this was found purely incidentally as is most kidney cancer.

I had no kidney symptoms at all, blood work normal, etc. I went to a GI Dr. for acid reflux issues I've been having on and off for the last couple of years (had nothing to do with kidney). He did an upper endoscopy which was normal, and ordered an abdominal ultrasound which indicated the kidney mass. Close to 90% of all kidney masses are cancerous. I was just very fortunate it was found early enough.

post #1909 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks. The (5) abdominal incisions they go through to get tot eh kidney are healing as the surgery was done robotically by the surgeon, but still pretty sore. But there is less and pain and complications with this method. Systematically I am more tired than I expected. I'm only 43, in good shape, workout, eat well, never smoked, etc.

The pathology came back that the mass was indeed cancerous as suspected, but it was a "clear cut" by the surgeon and verified to be fully removed, no spreading, etc. Just need yearly scans for the next five yrs as precautionary. Odds are very slim for recurrence.

All of this was found purely incidentally as is most kidney cancer.

I had no kidney symptoms at all, blood work normal, etc. I went to a GI Dr. for acid reflux issues I've been having on and off for the last couple of years (had nothing to do with kidney). He did an upper endoscopy which was normal, and ordered an abdominal ultrasound which indicated the kidney mass. Close to 90% of all kidney masses are cancerous. I was just very fortunate it was found early enough.
You are indeed a very, very lucky man. Be happy they got good margins on the tumor, as that is crucial. Heal quickly!

Time for me to schedule my physical.
post #1910 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You are indeed a very, very lucky man. Be happy they got good margins on the tumor, as that is crucial. Heal quickly!

Time for me to schedule my physical.
I recall right after the surgery my surgeon said, "Whatever it is, it's definitely gone."

I was very happy to keep the kidney too. I really wanted to save it. It's at about 80% functionality compared to before the surgery, but he said in 6 mos. looking at my blood work no one would even be able to tell I had the surgery or lost any of it.

The first surgeon/opinion I went to wanted to remove the entire kidney as he said a partial was too risky for a urine leak, complication, etc. Now it was a deep tumor and was growing into the renal sinus so that is tricky as the kidney has to be re-constructed in essence. The second guy I went with is a top surgeon and has actually done more robotic partial nephs than any other surgeon in the world, he's been involved in a lot of robotic research, been on CNN, etc.. He said only the robotics made this possible as its so much more precise. Getting a second opinion on these things really does matter as well as finding an excellent surgeon.

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-25-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #1911 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

SO SO glad they were able to remove all the cancer. It's such a brutal disease.

I lost my father to cancer when he was 54. I think we would all love to see a cure in our lifetime.
DavidHir likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #1912 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:

Heal fast David. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery !
DavidHir likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1913 of 1924 Unread 06-25-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
SO SO glad they were able to remove all the cancer. It's such a brutal disease.

I lost my father to cancer when he was 54. I think we would all love to see a cure in our lifetime.
My father has been fighting cancer (Multiple Myeloma/Bone Marrow) since 2006.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #1914 of 1924 Unread 06-26-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
My father has been fighting cancer (Multiple Myeloma/Bone Marrow) since 2006.
WOW-that's one hell of a fighter your Dad. Just bought a T-shirt today that says K (backwards sign for a strikeout) and below the K, its says cancer. It's in Royal blue to denote KC royals. I thought if you guys when I saw it on the rack at lunch....had to have it.

Ron

PS: Here's the website for those interested (looks like a lot of different team options and$10 goes to two charities):

http://www.108stitches.com/Gear/Deta.../#.VY2LUBtVhBc

For those in KC, they carry them at the Rally House near Oak Park Mall.

"Retired" AVS Moderator

Last edited by rboster; 06-26-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #1915 of 1924 Unread 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Heal fast David. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery !
Thanks. Still feeling awfully fatigued.

post #1916 of 1924 Unread 06-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Thanks. Still feeling awfully fatigued.
Glad you are well - had a heart scare a few years back myself - facing our mortality does change our perspective on life - max it out!
DavidHir likes this.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802a | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Submersive Master/Slave |
Control : Control 4 |
post #1917 of 1924 Unread 07-17-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Havn't posted in a while but here is a quick look at the nearly back up and running theater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	834634  
post #1918 of 1924 Unread 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Havn't posted in a while but here is a quick look at the nearly back up and running theater.
Very nice !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1919 of 1924 Unread 07-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Quote:
Craig already said it but still... VERY NICE!!!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz ***FOR SALE***

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #1920 of 1924 Unread 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Quote:
Gorgeous
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread