AVS Forum banner
1M views 10K replies 912 participants last post by  Pretorian 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of threads have become a home theater improvment color scene around "black"ing out the screen area. Flat black paint, black felt, black velvet, black carpet... You name it!

I figured lets put it in this thread and share our thoughts / noticed improvments / methods / pictures of before and after.

I'll start:

Picture:

"Black" Frame around screen (Fidelio Velvet)
"Black" Material covering up the screen wall (Mellotone Premium Black Speaker Grill Cloth Yard 64" Wide - Parts Express)
"Black" Material covering the Top and Bottom Stage (Black Blizzard Fleece - Joann Fabrics)
"Black" Material covering the first 8 feet out from the front of the stage (Black Blizzard Fleece - Joann Fabrics)
"Black" Flat paint on Ceiling / Walls
"Black" Semi gloss paint on crown molding

How to:

"black" out carpet area in front of screen for cheap?

1. Get cheap fitness pads (Kmart for me)

2. Duct tape all seams front and back

3. Get Black Fabric to cover and adhere to fitness pads

Picture of how I did mine from underneath.

Finished Product:

Added to main post per members of this thread:

VELVET COMPARISONS!

Link
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-d...er-theater-better-image-185.html#post57308858

See less See more
#8,671 ·
How are the edges lining up with this process? Is it a clean look or does it look a bit discombobulated. Seems like those seams would bother me.

#8,672 ·
For those of you with velvet...any need to paint the wall before putting the velvet up? New theater construction here. Seems like maybe a waste to paint if you're just gonna cover it up anyhow. Walls seem pretty straightforward. How about doing the ceiling? That sounds a little tougher.

#8,678 ·
I found the image to feel brighter and definitely pop more. I also needed to redo my calibration since the reflected light wasn’t hitting the screen and altering the image.

#8,691 ·
Has anyone treated black velvet with a fire retardant spray? Hopefully without detriment to the blackness.

I have some Whaleys devore left over and I’d like to try to use it as a retractable ceiling layer, just the first meter or so, one or two lengths of velvet. I really don’t want anything on the ceiling that isn’t properly fire retardant.

#8,692 ·
I dont know the answer to your question, but posting this just in case it would work for you, because if it would, it might be easier. Commando Cloth & Duvetyne Fabrics from Rose Brand. That stuff is already fire retardant, Im pretty sure. And one of the blackest materials out there. If its not as black as Whaley's, it's right behind. I've seen it mentioned in that same group of the best ones, along with Whaley's, Joanne's, SY Triple Black, etc.

The bigger question is, if it's on your ceiling, and if you have atmos speakers in the ceiling, then you want acoustically transparent material, i.e., Whaley's. And I am unaware if the duvetyne is also acoustically transparent, or not?

Anyway, it's one option, in case it helps.

#8,694 · (Edited)
I'm curious what the "Blacker the Better" guys think of these images? As in which do you prefer? Could be the camera reacting to the different light levels... although they posted it was hard to capture which I assume means more so in "real life"

#8,695 ·
I think the bias lighting is used there to fix the crappy contrast/black levels of that LG.

I have bias lighting in my room that I can change to all sorts of colors too. It's super fun for sports and video games on the switch. But that crap stays off when it's movie time.

#8,696 ·
I'm finished priming my basement theater and was curious about a few things:
  1. What finish and color I should ask my paint guy for (is there a "best" black paint)? I'll be rolling it on my walls and ceiling if that makes any difference vs spraying.
  2. What's blackest and most economical for the walls and ceiling (at least a 5-7' from the screen)? Is flock the way to go or is velvet from Joanne's a better choice?
  3. What's the best way to mount the fabric to the ceiling and walls? I've read @PixelPusher15 post here: The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image and it wasn't clear to me if he was just applying directly to his painted walls for the ceiling and walls or used some sort of thick backer board.
Here's my space:

#8,698 ·
I'm finished priming my basement theater and was curious about a few things:
  1. What finish and color I should ask my paint guy for (is there a "best" black paint)? I'll be rolling it on my walls and ceiling if that makes any difference vs spraying.
  2. What's blackest and most economical for the walls and ceiling (at least a 5-7' from the screen)? Is flock the way to go or is velvet from Joanne's a better choice?
  3. What's the best way to mount the fabric to the ceiling and walls? I've read @PixelPusher15 post here: The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image and it wasn't clear to me if he was just applying directly to his painted walls for the ceiling and walls or used some sort of thick backer board.
Here's my space:
View attachment 3152246

View attachment 3152247

View attachment 3152248
It may be a little late for this: Is there any way to center the screen in the room? As a projectionist I have worked in commercial theatres that had a screen wall exit door on one side on the screen requiring the screen to be off center, and there is just something about the off center screen layout that offends my sensibilities. I see you have a I-beam on one side, but what are those black things on both sides of the door? I would think you could shift the screen and the projector left somewhat and still clear the post from the I-beam. That's also an awfully small screen for that deep a room. In addition, the off-center audio could also imaging cause issues.

Just my $.02.

#8,697 ·
Good questions. Different things work for different people, on different budgets. The thread you refer to has it all, just spend some time going through it.

#8,702 · (Edited)
".....Is there any way to center the screen in the room?"

Ditto on the suggestion to center the system across front wall.

Tricorn black is quite black. Alternatively, you can also have the paint guys at Home Depot to add the maximum amount of black pigment that will fit their paint can. It will be beyond their usual practice, but I've had mine do that. There is space in the can and it will be definitely darker. Keep track of how much extra they add. You may need more paint later.

#8,703 · (Edited)
Ahhh very cool, I never thought of just telling them to add black pigment until you can't! I'll give that a go :) What finish would you recommend, flat or eggshell?

And trust me, I know my basement is not the "perfect" space for a theater, but it's what I have and this layout maximizes my space for seats, speakers, and screen size. The support beams limits how far over my row of seats can be which limits where the center of the screen will end up.

Reactions: Karl Maga
#8,705 ·
#8,713 · (Edited)
I cannot recall who all did shootouts. Arrow-AV did for sure, and there is an Australian build with multiple fabrics used in a movable curtain design - name escapes me - maybe it was Javs. But neither did include a Joann product because they are not in the US. "Royalty 3" is the name of Joann's most commonly used velvet here, but they have other product lines, including an all cotton one.

Fidelio is $40 a yard from Vogue Fabric. Royalty 3 is $15 a yard, but Joann has sales all the time that bring it under $10. Bulk ordering (30 yards) you can get triple plush for $6-7 per yard - it used to be $5, but Covid...

#8,714 ·
Reactions: squared80
#8,721 ·
I have a sample of the Home Depot "Pepper" carpet and going to look at (hopefully) this black one at my local Masland dealer tomorrow.

#8,722 ·
Went carpet shopping a little today...

The Home Depot "Pepper" from the Traffic Masters Collection is about $2/sqft (face weight 28.8oz)
The Masland Americana "Charcoal" looks fantastic but is $7/sqft (face weight about 55oz)
Shaw color 533S "Movie Night" looks pretty good too at $3.50/sqft (face weight about 45.8 oz)

Based on the numbers, the Shaw might be a good choice and would save me about $1500 compared to the Masland for a similar quality. Certainly tempting to go with the Home Depot product to save even more money but certainly a lighter weight carpet so maybe the Shaw would be a better long-term value.

Anyone on here have a Shaw Movie Night or the Home Depot Pepper carpet that can chime in?

#8,723 ·
I have the Home Depot "Pepper" in my HT for the stage and the riser. The extra thick padding was a great upgrade and it really fells like walking on a cloud. Been about a year since we installed it and it looks incredible. No regrets.

BTW, you can see mine after install in post # 8576.

#8,724 ·
The Pepper does look a little darker than the Shaw I think when I put them on my floor with a lot of ambient light. Of course, my space will be pretty much blacked out but that is very good to know. How think of a pad did you put in. I was looking today at a 7/16" pad called White Hot by Tuftex. Sounds like a great pad for a basement slab. Not sure how thick they make it or if thicker options are available.

#8,725 ·
We got a free upgrade to the 7/16" Future Foam "Tempur Material with SpillSafe Moisture Barrier 7/16 in. Thick 8 lb. Density Carpet Pad". We loved it so much that when we upgrade the carpet in the rest of the house that is the padding we will use. I think that is what made such a difference in the way the carpet feels.

#8,726 ·
I have the Shaw 533T Movie Night carpet installed. Looks really good. I did compare it to the Home Depot offering and the quality difference was very noticeable. I don't recall the exact padding but it was the middle of the line pad, the next step up was indistinguishable when I tested it in the store.

#8,729 ·
It does, indeed have a better quality look to it, but I put both on the floor for my family and it was unanimous that the Pepper is more black. I am glad to hear you like it but I'll probably go with Pepper as it is just so stinking inexpensive.

Because of the inexpensive nature of the carpet, on a padding note has anyone used LifeProof carpet pad? Sounds pretty interesting from a comfort, sound, and moisture standpoint. Heck, I can get the Home Depot carpet and the pad for less than the Shaw product without a pad.

Anyone used this in the past? Lifeproof 7/16 in. Thick Waterproof Premium Plus Carpet Cushion with Air Channels and Ultra-Fresh-2000000820 - The Home Depot

I would also like to know if I could possibly build my riser on that pad and essentially use it for the whole underlayment in my basement. (I know I am getting off-topic and can post a question about the pad elsewhere if needed)

Thanks!

#8,727 ·
I put Sy Triple Black velvet on all four sides (ceiling, walls, and floor) - looks great.

#8,728 ·
Do you guys have any advice for black DIY stick on carpet tiles? I’ll be sticking them on my basement cement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8,730 ·
@DarinS , it is definitely the more expensive of the two! I thought long and hard about going with the Home Depot black carpet and a better pad but ultimately went with the Shaw. I got it and the pad on sale and the price difference between the two was very small when it was done.

My room is still a work in progress and I took a photo but well, it's rather hard to see anything in the room. I used the Peppercorn paint color and the Shaw carpet, so it is very dark in the room. I'm considering going with black around the screen though but I'm not to that point yet.

#8,731 · (Edited)
So I remember reading somewhere here that the sys fabric velvet is great for side and ceilings but not so much for direct light absorption. Has anyone tried the Joanns premier velvet compared to whaleys or Fidelio?

This one

#8,732 ·
So I remember reading somewhere here that the sys fabric velvet is great for side and ceilings but not so much for direct light absorption. Has anyone tried the Joanns premier velvet compared to whaleys or Fidelio?

This one
Yes you are correct that the triple black does not work as well for direct light as the others.
I used that Joanns premier for a masking panel that I made and it worked just as well as the Fidelio that is on my screen border.

#8,736 ·
Down the (black) rabbit hole I go. Looking to improve my room for video. Need acoustically transparent material for at least the ceiling and the back wall (treatments and overheads installed).

Is this a reasonable choice: Guilford of Maine Sona Acoustical Fabric

Anything else I ought to be considering? Thanks!
GOM is great for surfaces that you expect to be touched but it is not as light absorbent as velvet. The FR701 is more commonly used than this one. This is intended for acoustic panels, not whole walls. I would get a sample first before committing to it. Whaley's Devore is the leading acoustically transparent velvet.