The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1555Likes

post #3961 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I finally went black but just need to stop a little reflective light on the tiles. I am thinking of putting a black mat under the center speaker.
Given I am just completing turning my entire theater into a black pit, I am not unbiased on this matter. That said, I would find a carpet company who has the blackest carpet you can find and have them cut and bind a piece that exactly fits in the center speaker circular space. And FWIW, it will definitely reduce the acoustic reflections off that hard surface (in addition to the light from the screen) and you will need to re-run any room correction system you use.
grassy likes this.

Our Theater

"A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare" Proverbs 15:1

Ephesians 4:29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Given I am just completing turning my entire theater into a black pit, I am not unbiased on this matter. That said, I would find a carpet company who has the blackest carpet you can find and have them cut and bind a piece that exactly fits in the center speaker circular space. And FWIW, it will definitely reduce the acoustic reflections off that hard surface (in addition to the light from the screen) and you will need to re-run any room correction system you use.
Will do mate.I moved my mains and center forward too and after the carpet is down i will re run audyssey pro.Thanks mate.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #3963 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 3831
Quote:
I just saw your updated photos, wow the room looks great!!

This is going to make a huge impact on the overall viewing experience. The JVC RS500/600 in a blacked out room is one of the best combos I've seen and I still get excited every time I turn off the lights and the movie begins.

post #3964 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just saw your updated photos, wow the room looks great!!

This is going to make a huge impact on the overall viewing experience. The JVC RS500/600 in a blacked out room is one of the best combos I've seen and I still get excited every time I turn off the lights and the movie begins.
Thank you. But I now know why I put this off as long as I did .......LOTS of work making a bazillion fabric frames, particularly the entrance door, wrapping them, blah, blah, blah. Other than wrapping the last two pieces/frames (I missed my estimate of GOM fabric buy about 9"). I am finished with this project.

Even prior to doing all of this, I thought the JvC image I was getting was the best I had seen. Watching a movie will either be tonight art tomorrow and see what all of this has produced.
Dave Vaughn and Mike Garrett like this.

Our Theater

"A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare" Proverbs 15:1

post #3965 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Yesterday, I finished almost all of the back wall (will do the door today). A few objectives: hide the shiny and dust collecting diffusors, hide the subs and give a more uniform black look to the theater. (I think I have spent about $42,759 on Guilford of Main Fabric.)

Original look:

New look:

Your room is looking great. Did you get the carpet installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3966 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Your room is looking great. Did you get the carpet installed?

Thank you.

The carpet is installed. I finished all of the "construction" yesterday so spent today cleaning up the room. I ran short (by 9 inches) of fabric to wrap two areas so some additional should be here first of next week and that will allow me to completely finish this project .... and then I can post some photos.

Hopefully tonight I will turn on the PJ and see what I have accomplished!

rboster likes this.

Our Theater

post #3967 of 4129 Old 07-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you.

The carpet is installed. I finished all of the "construction" yesterday so spent today cleaning up the room. I ran short (by 9 inches) of fabric to wrap two areas so some additional should be here first of next week and that will allow me to completely finish this project .... and then I can post some photos.

Hopefully tonight I will turn on the PJ and see what I have accomplished!

Nice, let us know what you think after you try it out. I just had my room measured today. Decided to replace all the carpet and turn the carpet that is in there now into a rug for my master bedroom. This is an expensive thread.

post #3968 of 4129 Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice, let us know what you think after you try it out. I just had my room measured today. Decided to replace all the carpet and turn the carpet that is in there now into a rug for my master bedroom. This is an expensive thread.
It is a very expensive (and very time consuming) thread ... as are a bunch of others on this forum

When I jumped into my room blackening project, there were two objectives: (1) Make the room more attractive --- and that was accomplished in spades; (2) Make the room around the screen completely disappear --- and that was only partially successful --- and I must confess, some major disappointment.

I watched my first movies last evening after completing most of the work. I sit about 13 or 14 feet from the screen. Most folks who have done this say to have black 5 or 6 feet into the room. For my ceiling, that worked perfectly (black velvet). But for my floor, not even close. And since the installation of carpet was much more trouble and expensive, I chose to come into the room 8.5 feet (actually I wanted to come 12 feet but my wife protested). So, first of all, the portion of the carpet prior to the black is still part of the viewing experience, which I was afraid it would be. Second of all, black carpet is NOT black velvet. So, contrary to the experience of others how have used black carpet, even the black carpeted area was still visible. Much less so than the lighter gray carpet, but visible none the less. I did notice when I had the carpet samples that it had more "blackness" when faced one direction vs another so maybe had it been installed to run in the opposite direction, it would have been "blacker".

Of course when my wife asks how I like the overall effect, I wall tell her: "It is so, so much better than before we did all of this work". That is an accurate statement but does not tell the whole story.

So, that said, short of covering the first 10+ feet of every surface around the screen with black velvet, keep your expectation reasonable ... mine apparently were not

OT: One of the movies I watched last night was "The Great Wall". Not great movie but the visuals and mostly the sound were extraordinary. The very best 3D immersive audio experience I have enjoyed in my room and the over all sound was awesome -- incredibly dynamic.

Our Theater

Last edited by audioguy; 07-09-2017 at 04:58 AM.
post #3969 of 4129 Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sorry to hear about your experience with the black carpet - my room is much smaller than yours: I have a single row of 4 chairs and sit 9' from my 92" screen. I have grey carpet on the floor and during my "blacking" I put an 8' x 5' black shag rug on the floor to address the floor between the chairs and my speakers - I have velvet draped over the sides of the speakers and the floor between them. (Safavieh Milan Shag Collection SG180-9090 Black Area Rug (5'1" x 8')). This rug has the same effect as velvet and soaks up all the light.
post #3970 of 4129 Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
(Safavieh Milan Shag Collection SG180-9090 Black Area Rug (5'1" x 8')). This rug has the same effect as velvet and soaks up all the light.
Just checked and they have an 8x10 version which, with cutouts for my speakers, would have been another, much less expensive, solution. If I were to bring one of those into our home now, I would be sleeping on a sofa, but probably not ours.
Dave Vaughn and Mike Garrett like this.

Our Theater

post #3971 of 4129 Old 07-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It is a very expensive (and very time consuming) thread ... as are a bunch of others on this forum

When I jumped into my room blackening project, there were two objectives: (1) Make the room more attractive --- and that was accomplished in spades; (2) Make the room around the screen completely disappear --- and that was only partially successful --- and I must confess, some major disappointment.

I watched my first movies last evening after completing most of the work. I sit about 13 or 14 feet from the screen. Most folks who have done this say to have black 5 or 6 feet into the room. For my ceiling, that worked perfectly (black velvet). But for my floor, not even close. And since the installation of carpet was much more trouble and expensive, I chose to come into the room 8.5 feet (actually I wanted to come 12 feet but my wife protested). So, first of all, the portion of the carpet prior to the black is still part of the viewing experience, which I was afraid it would be. Second of all, black carpet is NOT black velvet. So, contrary to the experience of others how have used black carpet, even the black carpeted area was still visible. Much less so than the lighter gray carpet, but visible none the less. I did notice when I had the carpet samples that it had more "blackness" when faced one direction vs another so maybe had it been installed to run in the opposite direction, it would have been "blacker".

Of course when my wife asks how I like the overall effect, I wall tell her: "It is so, so much better than before we did all of this work". That is an accurate statement but does not tell the whole story.

So, that said, short of covering the first 10+ feet of every surface around the screen with black velvet, keep your expectation reasonable ... mine apparently were not

OT: One of the movies I watched last night was "The Great Wall". Not great movie but the visuals and mostly the sound were extraordinary. The very best 3D immersive audio experience I have enjoyed in my room and the over all sound was awesome -- incredibly dynamic.
Sucks that it didn't meet your expectations, but at least you can get back to watching movies now. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to spend 1,200 to replace my carpet. I tell myself that It will be worth it because my room is small and I need to deal with reflections as much as possible. Speaking of movies, I just watched Kong: Skull Island and the sound was incredible.
post #3972 of 4129 Old 07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 572
That seals the deal for me..........I guess I will be stretching black velvet like carpet over the padding and just trying to be as careful as possible with it and accepting whatever accelerated wear happens over using carpet.

Try to make it a shoes off area as much as possible.

It should last a few years...hopefully.

I really had high hopes for that carpet and waiting to hear you say it was not standing out in any way.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #3973 of 4129 Old 07-10-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
That seals the deal for me..........I guess I will be stretching black velvet like carpet over the padding and just trying to be as careful as possible with it and accepting whatever accelerated wear happens over using carpet.

Try to make it a shoes off area as much as possible.

It should last a few years...hopefully.

I really had high hopes for that carpet and waiting to hear you say it was not standing out in any way.
Quote:
Sucks that it didn't meet your expectations, but at least you can get back to watching movies now. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to spend 1,200 to replace my carpet. I tell myself that It will be worth it because my room is small and I need to deal with reflections as much as possible. Speaking of movies, I just watched Kong: Skull Island and the sound was incredible.
I have yet to see anything that is near as black as black velvet. I would not give up on the carpet idea, however. There are some guys who post here who have had better results than I did. BUT, prior to spending the money on carpeting, get some large samples (not 6" squares like I got) and try it out.

And please don't misunderstand what I am saying. This black carpet is a huge step up in providing a more immersive video experience I was seeking. Huge. But, it just does not completely disappear like the velvet in my room does ... and that is what I was hoping for.
unretarded likes this.

Our Theater

post #3974 of 4129 Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How exactly are people securing black velvet and other fabrics to the ceiling?

On the front wall I have some DIY panels covered in Joanns black velvet. It does an amazing job catching the overshoot of the 2.35:1 image. Now I just need to deal with the ceiling. Because I don't have much room up there I'm thinking of just putting the fabric directly on the ceiling but I'm not sure of the best method to do this.

post #3975 of 4129 Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesterDW View Post

On the front wall I have some DIY panels covered in Joanns black velvet. It does an amazing job catching the overshoot of the 2.35:1 image. Now I just need to deal with the ceiling. Because I don't have much room up there I'm thinking of just putting the fabric directly on the ceiling but I'm not sure of the best method to do this.

I wrapped ours around 1/4 inch wood and used a nail gun and put the nails in at an angle

Our Theater

post #3976 of 4129 Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesterDW View Post

I used the same 1/4 plywood wrapped in velvet and attached to the ceiling with 2 drywall screws. I then cut dime sized covers for the screw heads and attached with black 2 sided tape. Still staying up there!
unretarded likes this.
post #3977 of 4129 Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This is my all black home theater.
post #3978 of 4129 Old 07-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I wrapped ours around 1/4 inch wood and used a nail gun and put the nails in at an angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
I used the same 1/4 plywood wrapped in velvet and attached to the ceiling with 2 drywall screws. I then cut dime sized covers for the screw heads and attached with black 2 sided tape. Still staying up there!
Great suggestions, thanks guys. I've got plenty of 1/4 plywood around. The screw head covers are also a good idea - I never would've thought of that.
post #3979 of 4129 Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Looks great. You also could replace your white power, cable, phone jack, etc. with black versions. SJ
unretarded likes this.
post #3980 of 4129 Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Quote:
Looks great. You also could replace your white power, cable, phone jack, etc. with black versions. SJ
Thanks! That's on my to do list next. My house is still under warranty for 2 more months and I've been hesitant to replace the outlets until then. The builder can be real finicky.
post #3981 of 4129 Old 07-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Thanks! That's on my to do list next. My house is still under warranty for 2 more months and I've been hesitant to replace the outlets until then. The builder can be real finicky.
You'd be surprised what a difference just taking off the outlet face-plates and painting those black will do.
Dirk504 likes this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
HTPC GTX1080 (MadVr) ¤ Zidoo X8 ¤ Panny UB-900 ¤ HDFury Linker
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
post #3982 of 4129 Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Black Project" is completed. The gray columns are out of the field of view and gives the room a better feel when the lights are on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406 (1).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	2241177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	2241185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2241193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3386.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	2241201  

Our Theater

post #3983 of 4129 Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Whats that on the back shelf ?

A light/effects machine ?

post #3984 of 4129 Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Whats that on the back shelf ?

A light/effects machine ?
Yes. It creates "clouds" and "stars" that move around the room on the walls, celling, etc - anywhere it's wide angle lens can get to. On very rare occasion, I use it when listening to music. Very relaxing. And no, it does not work along side the beat of the music.

Our grandkids LOVE it, even if the stars/clouds are on the screen when watching a move !!!

Hilarious that you actually noticed it!! It is also interesting that you called it a "shelf". Except on the end where this device is, it is just a frame of wood and GOM fabric. One of my concerns is that based upon its height, it does look like a shelf -- and I am concerned some guest might sit a drink on it -- which would end up all over my subs that are behind/underneath it.
unretarded likes this.

Our Theater

post #3985 of 4129 Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. It creates "clouds" and "stars" that move around the room on the walls, celling, etc - anywhere it's wide angle lens can get to. On very rare occasion, I use it when listening to music. Very relaxing. And no, it does not work along side the beat of the music.

Our grandkids LOVE it, even if the stars/clouds are on the screen when watching a move !!!

Hilarious that you actually noticed it!! It is also interesting that you called it a "shelf". Except on the end where this device is, it is just a frame of wood and GOM fabric. One of my concerns is that based upon its height, it does look like a shelf -- and I am concerned some guest might sit a drink on it -- which would end up all over my subs that are behind/underneath it.
I have been eying those for some of the same reasons !

How does it do on all that black fabric now ? My only concern with shelling out 150-200 bucks for high end one was performance on the black fabric.

I am also going to get a small smoke machine .....

I would put some sort of support under there or angle it so no one will put something on it as they will as soon as you turn your back

When I was younger and single we always had large houses and big groups over, you have to idiot proof everything or spend the entire time policing everything......I would elimiate that either by adding structure so it is a shelf or puttung cloth at a 45 degree angle on top to eliminate the shelf effect.

Either way...that room is looking super sharp now !

If you happen to get a chance, snap a pic with the light machine going as it is hard to find pics of those devices outside of a club setting, much less on black cloth/velvet.

post #3986 of 4129 Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked: 2626
Quote:
"Black Project" is completed. The gray columns are out of the field of view and gives the room a better feel when the lights are on.
Excellent,

What are the dimensions of your room?

And, where is your center speaker?

Running phantom?

Do you feel like you have made the room a little more dead now or are some of those panels in front of hard surfaces?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
post #3987 of 4129 Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Excellent,
Thanks. As I have said previously, the fact that my wife likes it better is good enough for me --- "Happy wife; happy life"

Quote:
What are the dimensions of your room?
22 x 19.3 x 8 But with the new fabric on the walls, it "appears" about a foot narrower.

Quote:
And, where is your center speaker?
Behind the AT screen

Quote:
Running phantom?
Blasphemous

Quote:
Do you feel like you have made the room a little more dead now or are some of those panels in front of hard surfaces?
The room treatment has not changed at all, so it is no more dead. Most of the panels I built are just fabric covered frame. I did cover some GIK q7D panels (9 of them) with GOM but that doesn't alter the room acoustics. That said, there are some slight FR differences (non-corrected) between the old and new room, probably due to the edge of the panels acting as diffusors.

Our Theater

post #3988 of 4129 Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We watched our first complete movie since I have completed the "Black" project. VERY nice. Short of having the first 8 feet of floor be black velvet, this is a good as it will be in this room. A definite improvement. Glad I did it for multiple reasons.

Our Theater

post #3989 of 4129 Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We watched our first complete movie since I have completed the "Black" project. VERY nice. Short of having the first 8 feet of floor be black velvet, this is a good as it will be in this room. A definite improvement. Glad I did it for multiple reasons.
It looks great, definitely gives me some motivation to work on my room.
post #3990 of 4129 Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks great, definitely gives me some motivation to work on my room.
Thanks. It was a huge pain in the rear to do all of the work, but as is usually the case, the end result was worth the effort - if for no other reason that my wife likes the look.

Thanks again.
Dave Vaughn and Buddylee123 like this.

Our Theater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page