Soap Opera Effect - help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have tried shutting off all the "enhancements," but I still experience SOE on my Panny 8000 FP.

I did the same thing on a Sammy 60" LCD at a friend's house and it was still very SOE....impossible to watch except for live sports.

I am now worried that now that I know what it is, i can never get rid of it?

I am so confused with 2/3 pulldown, refresh rates and the like....all I want is a picture that looks normal. with all the improvements in pixel density, color integrity, black levels, etc...have manufacturers forgot how film and video is supposed to look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 173
It's kind of odd that two separate devices have this issue. Let me ask you this; When you have the Frame Interpolation modes on does it look the same to you when it is off? Or is the effect lessened even further when its off but still has the SOE look?

The Panasonic 8000 for sure can have the Frame Interpolation modes turned off. I don't own one personally but I have had displays (my fathers Sharp HDTV for example) where there were actually two separate things that needed to be shut off to turn off all the FI systems. Take a look through the menu's (or even your manual) to make sure there aren't two things that need to be turned off.

What kind of signal are you sending to your projector? Is it a 24p from a blu-ray or is it just a 60hz signal from a cable box?

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 128
On my Samsung LCD it's a clear diffference between AMP (Frame Interpolation) on (SOE) and off (no SOE). So that makes me wonder if what you're seeing/complaining about is, well maybe two things.

One could be motion blur, there are some here that observe motion blur with liquid crystal based display technologies (I say some rather than I because I've not noticed it on my LCD, and my HT is a DLP).

Next option would be it's possible that what you're seeing is the lack of 3:2 pulldown judder by displaying 24fps at 24fps. Pans do look a lot smoother without the judder, but IMO this isn't SOE.

I guess there could be a third option, maybe you didn't turn of Frame Interpolation?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a hunch myself that what he was seeing was actually 24 fps done correctly. Going from a 60hz flat panel or projector to something that can do 24fps accurately at 2:2 or 3:3 even higher can look surprisingly smooth (like it should be) and could be confused with something that looks incorrect (because you just aren't used to it).

Or it's like you said, he still has the FI system enabled.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks guys...maybe i can better explain:

after reading about the SOE, the description i can best use is "looks like raw video footage." Highly detailed, accurate, smooth...but no depth. Lack of realism. Flat

Some specific answers:

With enhancements off, the PQ improves, but not enough on the Sammy LED. That TV is not MY problem though!)

On my Panny 8000, the SOE is hit or miss..most easy to see with facial close-ups. I use that 721 ?> setting, plus auto iris off, FI off, etc. This effect has been observed only on Apple TV movies..(1080P/ 60Hz), and not really on FIOS. Perhaps it is compression issues with Apple? Also last night, played new BioShock on PS3...stunning; no complaints on PQ (or that game btw, it is excellent).
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I played it on my PC last night. Rendered at 2560 x 1600 with the high pixel density of my 30" monitor and all the settings at Ultra it puts the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions to shame.

As far as what you're seeing, try popping in a bluray. Maybe something is up with Apple?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page