Considering upgrading my Sony VPL VW85 - thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 3.5 year old Sony VPL VW85 which has been an amazing projector. Like some, I'm seriously considering getting into the 3D arena. I was wondering what opinions were on an upgrade from the VW85 to a VW95? The majority of our movie watching will be in 2D however I would really like to have that 3D option. I'm in a light controlled room with a Stewart Studiotek 130 110" screen. Thought/Opinions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks All -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 15
Hey Sgiggly.

I am exactly the same boat as you are, except I am upgrading from a 7 year VPL VW50. I really want another Sony, but there's no word on when the vpl-vw95's replacement is coming out. I hear that the 95 is a great projector....but it's already a year old and if I am going to buy a new projector, I want the newest technology possible. I've read that the new Sony vpl-hw50es is pretty solid, but because it won't work with a scope screen I am not considering it. I am leaning towards a jvc 4810. I called Mike at AVS and they have a good special going on right now. I still haven't made a final decision, but I am leaning that way.
squigglyline likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post

I have a 3.5 year old Sony VPL VW85 which has been an amazing projector. Like some, I'm seriously considering getting into the 3D arena. I was wondering what opinions were on an upgrade from the VW85 to a VW95? The majority of our movie watching will be in 2D however I would really like to have that 3D option. I'm in a light controlled room with a Stewart Studiotek 130 110" screen. Thought/Opinions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks All -

Give us a call and we can talk about what would work best for you. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Give us a call and we can talk about what would work best for you. smile.gif

Absolutely. I've done business with you guys before and was very pleased.

Best -
post #5 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticfish View Post

Hey Sgiggly.

I am exactly the same boat as you are, except I am upgrading from a 7 year VPL VW50. I really want another Sony, but there's no word on when the vpl-vw95's replacement is coming out. I hear that the 95 is a great projector....but it's already a year old and if I am going to buy a new projector, I want the newest technology possible. I've read that the new Sony vpl-hw50es is pretty solid, but because it won't work with a scope screen I am not considering it. I am leaning towards a jvc 4810. I called Mike at AVS and they have a good special going on right now. I still haven't made a final decision, but I am leaning that way.

Thanks for your response. I will definitely look into the JVC later today. I've been extremely happy with my Sony but I know JVC also makes a helluva projector too...
post #6 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
As others have said that have compared them, well the Sony hw50es might be one to look at since it has very good 3D and good 2D, plus Reality Creation (RC) sharpening. The thing about the RC is it does add some noise, so it's only real useful for the best sources from my understanding.

I guess the ultimate upgrade for you might be the successor to the vw95 (if there will be one, maybe this year?), which people are hoping has the RC sharpening plus the extra native sharpness of the vw95.

If I were buying now though, I'd probably grab the Sony hw50 if you are wanting to do any serious 3D at all, otherwise get a JVC with e-shift.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 22 Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 20
I just got my HW50ES and I have only had it for a day now but comparing it to the VW85 I have used here is my feedback:

Brightness: HW50ES
Sharpness: HW50ES
Image / Lens consistency: HW50ES
Contrast: VW85 by a slight amount (It may however just be that my eyes are more used to the look of the VW85)
Motion: HW50ES
2D: Slight advantage to HW50ES especially when you turn on RC
3D: HW50ES of course
Sound Level: HW50ES
Remote: VW85
Speed projector is ready after turning on: HW50ES
Auto lens cover: VW85
Focus: HW50ES (never liked the mechanical focus)
Quality look and feel: VW85

The HW50ES is an upgrade to the VW85 in most aspects. The replacement for the VW95 may offer something even better but for the price the HW50ES is a incredible deal.

BTW: I got mine from Mike at AVS I recommend you call him if you decide to go from the HW50ES.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
smbsocal,

Ahem. Reason why I got the VW85 was contrast. Based on your observation, I might want to go back to JVC again, like a RS46 or RS48 if I really want to go 3D. Somehow watching 30 Days of Night, with the ever smooth DI going on very quietly, I did have a moment of buyer's remorse after dumping my JVC. The other alternative is to pick up a BenQ 1070 for cheap, despite the RBE and keeping both.

Life is full of choices!

Cheers!
post #9 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Dragon,

See if you can get a B-STOCK RS-48 when they get more numerous I assume in 6-12 months from AVS.
Hopefully AVS will get some of these around 2.5k (maybe I'm dreaming), but hey I think some B-Stock Rs-45's went for $1,600 or so.

I'm going to try a B-STOCK next year if I can, stick with JVC, cause you're attracted to better the black levels sounds like. I'm not even a black level fanatic and I think my JVC is superb.
Tell you what the lens on my JVC is impressive, after using both the Benq w7000 (sharpest .65" DLP there is) and my JVC RS-45, I really think the JVC has nicer text in HTPC.
The Benq has slightly higher native sharpness (and I mean barely barely higher), but let me tell you my very well converged JVC seems smoother on text, less SDE, less ringing.

I enjoy reading on my HTPC with my JVC more than the Benq I think (but it's close). The JVC is just a better projector overall I feel. Also, I really think DLP only pops more on bright scenes less than half the time, in certain camera work the JVC keeps up nicely. As far as motion, I am not that sensitive to it.

I think after owning a JVC, I will be hard pressed to own something else. I am also getting bored with 3D and the big RED SELL button is getting an itch for me on the Benq.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #10 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not a B-stock RS46? I'm not up on any of the JVC's 3D model other than the RS40 had lamp issues or the lamps (not made by JVC) are trouble prone in the earlier batches.

I need to keep it down to the $2k range since I'm "retired".
post #11 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

e-shift and the CMS...

post #12 of 22 Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That is the RS48. Looks like the 45 and 46 are quite similar, other than the zoom and brightness.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

smbsocal,

Ahem. Reason why I got the VW85 was contrast. Based on your observation, I might want to go back to JVC again, like a RS46 or RS48 if I really want to go 3D. Somehow watching 30 Days of Night, with the ever smooth DI going on very quietly, I did have a moment of buyer's remorse after dumping my JVC. The other alternative is to pick up a BenQ 1070 for cheap, despite the RBE and keeping both.

Life is full of choices!

Cheers!

I think the lack on contrast at times is the DI and brightness. On very bright screens the brightness in 2D can be overwhelming for me on my 110" screen at 12.5' away. I have yet to try and lock down the brightness as some have suggested and that may be the trick since on darker scenes the contrast appears better than the VW85.

The extra brightness is a great thing to have when watching 3D, we watched a couple of titles over the weekend and the brightness of 3D was equivalent to the VW85.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

On brightness, I actually dropped the hw20 in favor of the vw85. The former is definitely brighter when watching March Madness. In the end, I stay with the vw85 which is a huge beast but dead silent.

Thanks.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding Reality Creation - I've got a Darblet. Is that not essentially the same thing?
post #16 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
Quote:

Regarding Reality Creation - I've got a Darblet. Is that not essentially the same thing?

Not even close it works in a very different way. it enhances small shadows. Like on someones face you would not other wise notice. Sometime its to much even at lower settings. There is some sharping effect but easy to get to much of what you dont with it. Lower settings are about all u can do with out getting side effects that u dont want. Smears beteen letters on gudies and cc are easy places to see this effect. Its in pictures as well, making things on faces that arwe not there. Lower settings are ok but still some of that but not very often. RC is not an edge enhancement. It works in a very different way. Of course depending on source it can be too much as well
post #17 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Some have said the Sony s790 Bluray Player's sharpening filter is basically the same as RC, though I have not tested it myself (nor has Zombie10k). I would like someone else to test it...
The Darbee is more of a contrast enhancer to give a slight appearance of a more contrasty (some would say sharper) image, sharpening algorithms like RC are designed for edge enhancement, whereas the Darbee enhances the image between the edges instead of the edges themselves. They are basically complimentary.

I would caution that many (most?) experts have not really liked RC that much, though they like it ok set on the VERY lowest setting on the cleanest of sources, it makes the image overly edgy. It would be interesting if the s790's settings can do the same thing on a milder scale and then pair that with a Darbee might be the best of both worlds. That said, many will have different opinions on whether something looks overly-sharpened or not.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
KDH

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Some have said the Sony s790 Bluray Player's sharpening filter is basically the same as RC, though I have not tested it myself (nor has Zombie10k). I would like someone else to test it...
The Darbee is more of a contrast enhancer to give a slight appearance of a more contrasty (some would say sharper) image, sharpening algorithms like RC are designed for edge enhancement, whereas the Darbee enhances the image between the edges instead of the edges themselves. They are basically complimentary.

I would caution that many (most?) experts have not really liked RC that much, though they like it ok set on the VERY lowest setting on the cleanest of sources, it makes the image overly edgy. It would be interesting if the s790's settings can do the same thing on a milder scale and then pair that with a Darbee might be the best of both worlds.

The only expert that makes any difference at all is on either side of your nose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,experts LOL.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, well I did edit just now to say what matters is personal preference for sharpening, but usually what "experts" see is more the average of what people prefer than what a novice claims.
Just based on averages is all.

Most sharpening algorithms cause edge enhancement whether or not its intentional, even at 100 the Darbee barely causes any (look at HTPC text with Darbee at 100), that said the Darbee has other negatives when you go over 30-40 (like making everyone's face all rough looking). P

The RC might be different from most other sharpening (never seen it in person myself), but from what I've seen in photos it did cause edge enhancement, but I'm just saying many have said it makes the image rougher but with more POP.
Like you said, it's personal preference I suppose.

post #20 of 22 Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Not the same and the Darblet works far better without introducing other anomalies (ee/ringing/noise).

The Sony S780/S790 blu ray players have basically the same 'enhancement' feature...

Jason
post #21 of 22 Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post

Not even close it works in a very different way. it enhances small shadows. Like on someones face you would not other wise notice. Sometime its to much even at lower settings. There is some sharping effect but easy to get to much of what you dont with it. Lower settings are about all u can do with out getting side effects that u dont want. Smears beteen letters on gudies and cc are easy places to see this effect. Its in pictures as well, making things on faces that arwe not there. Lower settings are ok but still some of that but not very often. RC is not an edge enhancement. It works in a very different way. Of course depending on source it can be too much as well

Thanks for the response - are you referring to RC or to the Darblet?
post #22 of 22 Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Not the same and the Darblet works far better without introducing other anomalies (ee/ringing/noise).

The Sony S780/S790 blu ray players have basically the same 'enhancement' feature...

Jason

Thanks! smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw85

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page