AVS Forum banner
13K views 98 replies 32 participants last post by  snyderkv 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide if the latest Sony VPL-HW50ES is worth the difference over the Epson 5020. I have a dedicated "cave" with no light issues. I presently own an Epson 8350. It is projected onto a 120" Carada Criterion 2.35:1 screen with a 1.0 gain. Although I keep the projector filter clean and it is not a dusty environment, I have had problems with dust getting into the prism or LCD panels. Epson was very good with their replacement policy. I purchased the original unit in Dec 2010. I have called Epson and they very quickly sent me a new unit twice so this is my third unit. It is now out of warranty. The dust problem isn't terrible and I'm the only one who really notices, but as they say, once you see it, you can't ignore it. I had thought about stepping up to the Epson 5020 but after reading reviews of the Sony VPL-HW50ES (could they come up with a longer model name with no easy shorthand) and with the internal dust issues with the Epson, I am leaning toward the Sony. In real terms, it looks like the Sony is about $800 more. Is it worth the difference? Does anyone think I would have better luck with the dust issue? I have read some posts that tended to indicate that the dust issue was an inherent problem with the 8350. If so, is that an issue with all Epsons? One other thing I really like about the Sony is the ability to adjust the LCD panel alignment with 144 separate zones. As far as I can tell, the Epson 5020 has no panel adjustment and a slight misalignment was also a minor issue with the 8350.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've done the comparison and for the extra bit the Sony will be worth it for me.

- Brighter calibrated 2D (edit: 3D) picture 1000 vs 600

- Better colour OOTB

- Brighter 3D w/better blacks (in some scenes due to dynamic iris)

- 3D w/Frame Interpolation

- Reality creation sharpens image

- Ability to disable dynamic iris (if you are sensitive to black level pumping and/or noise)

- More natural 'look' compared to LCD (opinion)

- Faster response time for gaming

IMO if you don't need the high brightness of the 5020 in 2D (120"+ screen+bright room) Sony wins everything else.

#4 ·
Thanks to all for those responses. I agree the Sony looks to be the better choice. The only thing I am a little surprised about is brighter 3D from the Sony. I thought reviewers were favoring Epsom on that.

Epson's warranty replacement program will be missed since Sony will require sending a faulty unit in for repair but hopefully that won't come up.

#5 ·
I was in B&N today meeting someone who was late, so grabbed a Sound and Vision magazine to kill time.

One of the comments by the reviewer really hit me about the JVC X35, this Sony and the Epson comparing to cars: JVC is the Porsche, Sony is the BMW M3 while the Epson is the Corvette (brute force in terms of brightness but little finesse).

After owning other versions from these 3 manufacturers, I tend to agree his assessment. FWIW, my current model is a Sony VW85 but might go back to the dark side again.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es/0_50#post_23153816

One of the comments by the reviewer really hit me about the JVC X35, this Sony and the Epson comparing to cars: JVC is the Porsche, Sony is the BMW M3 while the Epson is the Corvette (brute force in terms of brightness but little finesse).

And where does that leave projectors that cost more than $3500?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23154075

And where does that leave projectors that cost more than $3500?

A porsche is no bugatti?

#8 ·
Anything over $3500 is beyond my pay grade.

#9 ·
I have owned my Sony HW10 SXRD since 2009 without any problems.

My previous Epson LCD unit was plagued with dust issues, and like yours Epson replaced it 2 times under warranty for the dust bunnies in the light path. I even taped nylon stocking material over the intake to filter out more dust, still no luck.

I can not fault Epson's free replacement warranty, it is the best in the business. However, having to send units back for dust issues is a pain. If Epson ever switches to LCOS with a sealed light path I would have no qualms in buying another Epson, their warranty is epic.

For now my advice would be to buy the Sony and not worry about dust again.

Later,

Tony

#10 ·
I vote for the Epson 5020. Once you go built in wireless HDMI, you don't go back. It's really awsome. Despite RC, the Epson has a sharpening mode as well and I doubt an average viewer will see any differences side by side. The Epson is cheaper and the bulb lasts longer

And the Epson I thought was 1700+ lumens in 3D or 2D max output. This slams the Sony and is required for ambient viewing or absorbant screens like the DNP Supernova. Black levels I thought rated just as good if not better than the Sony. I wonder if people are just making up claims to justify their purchase? I hear nothing but rave reviews about the Epson. Why not search instead of asking Sony owners what they prefer?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benkin  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23171451

Sorry- the Epson does not handle action well - made me nauseus

What does this even mean? Was FI on high?

There isn't a TV in the world that can make me feel sick unless I was biased and brand loyal. I'm sure I can feel that way towards the competition

I could be wrong, but shouldn't you be able to explain why you get naucious? There must be something measurable from it that could help explain why it makes you sick, otherwise, I'd imagine that is personal to you and probably bad advice for everyone else who's making this financial jump based on subjective opinions

The Epson has it's own following and the OP should review that thread as well to get more objective opinions. IMO Sony has no benefits worth $800 over the Epson

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23163369

I have owned my Sony HW10 SXRD since 2009 without any problems.

My previous Epson LCD unit was plagued with dust issues, and like yours Epson replaced it 2 times under warranty for the dust bunnies in the light path. I even taped nylon stocking material over the intake to filter out more dust, still no luck.

I can not fault Epson's free replacement warranty, it is the best in the business. However, having to send units back for dust issues is a pain. If Epson ever switches to LCOS with a sealed light path I would have no qualms in buying another Epson, their warranty is epic.

For now my advice would be to buy the Sony and not worry about dust again.

Later,

Tony

I also started with an Epson, 1080UB. The warranty is great but since the quality is so poor you will need to use it. I had to exchange my unit 4 times before getting a decent one. We got one for work, 6500, and had to go through 3 before getting a decent one. Compared to the Sony projectors I have used, VW85 and HW50, the Epsons were; very loud, poor DI, poor contrast, poor color rendering (especially if you want to crank up the lumens), prone to dust blobs (I got lucky and blasted a couple out over the years). The main thing that Epsons have going for them is the price outside of that Sony trumps Epson. My advice is if you can afford the Sony HW50 go for it, check with Mike at AVS on pricing you will be happy you did.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23172602

If I were to buy another sub $4000 projector it would be the HW50. If I could only afford the 5020, I'd save till I could afford the HW50.

I loved my Epsons but the next level up of projecting is worth it! and the HW50 is a step up from the 5020, IMHO.

I agree, both are nice projectors but the Sony is just better.

A good analogy would be a Ford Tarus (Epson) vs BMW 320 (Sony). Both are good cars and will get you from point A to point B, but the BMW will have better options as well as fit an finish. Expect to pay more for the BMW, luckily the Sony isn't that much more than the Epson.

#18 ·
it was the way the PJ handled motion. It was subtle, but enough to make me need to leave the room.

I talked to each of the technicians at the store and they all told me the same thing "yeah, the Epson has that affect on some people. Most people seem to be fine with it.'

Technically what is going on? I do not know. Lag? Judder?

Again, I have seen 5 or 6 5020/6020- all in high end stores that they claim were ISF calibrated on Stewart screens.

I think I have given this brand enough of a chance.

I find I have the same issue looking at LCD TV in stores.. LEDs and DLPs don't affect.

Go figure..

My only point is that - on paper- the Epson looks fantastic..I was highlighting that one needs to see these for themselves before making a decision.. That's all.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23170997

I vote for the Epson 5020. Once you go built in wireless HDMI, you don't go back. It's really awsome. Despite RC, the Epson has a sharpening mode as well and I doubt an average viewer will see any differences side by side. The Epson is cheaper and the bulb lasts longer

And the Epson I thought was 1700+ lumens in 3D or 2D max output. This slams the Sony and is required for ambient viewing or absorbant screens like the DNP Supernova. Black levels I thought rated just as good if not better than the Sony. I wonder if people are just making up claims to justify their purchase? I hear nothing but rave reviews about the Epson. Why not search instead of asking Sony owners what they prefer?

I do wonder if people are just making up claims...

Then again, I have owned both and prefer the Sony. It's a better overall projector in terms of input lag, color, contrast (by a hair), and calibrated lumens. Also, there is a huge difference between RC and Super Resolution.

#22 ·
As others have noted (but I've yet to see someone prove it beyond all doubt), you can get something like RC by buying the Sony bdp-s790 bluray player. As far as Epson vs. Sony, the biggest advantage to me is pixel fill more than anything else. Yes, the Sony has better color and what not, but more importantly the Sony's pixel fill causes a more solid and film-like image at closer viewing distances.

If I were buying for 2D only, I'd get a JVC RS-48 or RS-46 with a Sony bdp-790 and a Darbee, you won't get sharper than that. A well converged JVC is a significant step up in sharpness over all the others I've seen, even sharper than all the 0.65" DLP's as far as a cleaner looking sharp-effect without any side effects.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benkin  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es/0_60#post_23174820

'

I find I have the same issue looking at LCD TV in stores.. LEDs and DLPs don't affect.

Go figure..

As far as know a LED TV is just a marketing ploy since its till a LCD but with LED backlighting. Why would a different backlight not effect you?

All the PJ discussed here are going to be amazing once you get them home. Your best bet is to visit a showroom with each to make your decision. If I had a "Home Theatre" that was light controlled I probably would have gone with a JVC. Since the space is more family room oriented and I've got kids and some ambient light I went with Epson as its supposedly the brightest of the bunch. I was also able to compare the JVC and Epson in the same location and as far as I could tell the were both amazing.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23180121

I do wonder if people are just making up claims..

What did I make up? The Epson is brighter in 3D and brightest mode and the lumens is required for me when using the Blade. I don't want to run 40' of cable either so the wireless is priceless

All of my viewing is in the living room and with lights on so calibrated benefits aren't noticeable.

I just think people should consider if the Sony benfits outweigh the extra $800 bucks. That would buy you 6 years worth of bulbs on the Epson

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es#post_23182052

What did I make up? The Epson is brighter in 3D and brightest mode and the lumens is required for me when using the Blade. I don't want to run 40' of cable either so the wireless is priceless

All of my viewing is in the living room and with lights on so calibrated benefits aren't noticeable.

I just think people should consider if the Sony benfits outweigh the extra $800 bucks. That would buy you 6 years worth of bulbs on the Epson

Actually once calibrated the Sony puts out a lot more lumens, almost twice as much, than the Epson. If you are not one that wants true (or even close) image and color representation then the Epson does win in brightness.

I have not shopped around to try and get the best price on the Epson but from what I could find the street price difference between the Sony and Epson is a lot less than the $800 you mentioned.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal  /t/1466139/epson-5020-vs-sony-vpl-hw50es/0_60#post_23182609

Actually once calibrated the Sony puts out a lot more lumens, almost twice as much, than the Epson. If you are not one that wants true (or even close) image and color representation then the Epson does win in brightness.

Twice the output? Where do you see that? And pretty much every review I've read talks about how good the Epson color is right out of the box. Look, the Sony is a nice projector, probably better than the Epson but what you saying just isn't accurate. All these projectors are amazing right out of the box compared to what was available 3 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.