shouldnt this be the year for darkchip 5 or is texas insturments just stupid? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

Are you sure that's the actual reason did you read that or are you just throwing out a huge guess most theaters I go to get pretty dang dark

Haha, he isn't making that up. That is common knowledge here. ANSI and on/off severely suffer with ambient light and commercial theaters have a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Well, it's not the main reason, but the main reason is because the screens are so large that they have to open up the light path so much, that commercial projectors are MADE to be much brighter and not higher contrast. I should have highlighted that reason more so, but the end result is the same for both reasons, they use lower contrast / brighter projectors.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-projectors/cat-digitalcinema/
post #33 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why doesn't Microsoft make a PC more like an Apple, I don't know, because people make what they know best I suppose. Companies tend to focus on certain things.

Because apple being better than microsoft is subjective as i think apple sucks while epson sony jvc or panasonic offering a 3 chip solution to compete with sim2 or christie digital or any 1080p 3 chip dlp is logical because the fact is that sim2 lumis 3d solo is still considered king of the hill
post #34 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 152

Yah, and that post above agrees with what I said, higher brightness with lower contrast. The Sony vw1000 which is 1/5th that price does higher on/off than either of those, but it is also 1/5th the lumens. Epson was going to make a semi-high end LCOS machine, but they never released it. Projectors are a much smaller market than say CPU's, so the R&D is more limited.

Why doesn't Kia make a BMW, it's not their market (is that a better analogy).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #35 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yah, and that post above agrees with what I said, higher brightness with lower contrast. The Sony vw1000 which is 1/5th that price does higher on/off than either of those, but it is also 1/5th the lumens. Epson was going to make a semi-high end LCOS machine, but they never released it. Projectors are a much smaller market than say CPU's, so the R&D is more limited.

Why doesn't Kia make a BMW, it's not their market (is that a better analogy).

A rule of business is make money not stay in their market thats obserd hyundai has the equus if 3 chip lcos is so great why is sim2 lumis considered king of the hill it seems stupid for a company not to compete when theyre fully able to

And by the way that sony has a 4.2kw xenon bulb capable of 21k lumens
post #36 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is getting circular, as noted BRIGHTER but LESS contrast.

They aren't fully able to, there are engineering complexities some companies have overcome that others have not, there are also blocking patents like everything. Many times companies dive into new tech into projectors the first version is a buggy mess and can't compete anyhow, we've seen it happen before. Companies are just people, people make mistakes, companies like people are ADD, they like to focus on what they do best.

Sony does a good job of making great stuff, but they also have lost money doing it. I don't know much about the companies behind Sim and Christie, but I know they didn't burn as much cash as Sony, Sony is basically a money pit with audio/video, the stock would be worth more if they just stopped making everything video related.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #37 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

Couldn't the same be said for Epson Sony and jvc why keep improving and spending money when there is no rear projection sets any more when they just sell projectors how will they get back their cost of research and development and production.

every company makes its own business decisions based on estimated return on investment. TI is a different type of company than either Sony or JVC and Sony has been losing its shirt in CE over the last few years and JVC I don't think is in that great shape either. Projectors are a tiny portion of sony's business and probably (I don't know) not a huge share of JVCs business.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #38 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Many of these companies are living off credit right now, hence long term debt on the balance sheet. I hope they recover or we might see an even bigger slowdown in R&D.

post #39 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

sony had to sell its NYC tower and its Tokyo tower is up for sale. without those sales I think things would be much bleaker for sony. They bought themselves two more years to turn things around.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #40 of 46 Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The only feasible path to significantly improved DLP performance in the consumer space I see is trickle-down laser tech from cinema (i.e. the kodak/barco tech)... that has been very slow going (not sure why), but appears to offer greater brightness while improving contrast by allowing smaller projection optics (and increasing the distance between the off-state and the projected image). I just don't think it will ever happen... people will be too focused on 4K and the market will not support any R&D for improved DLP in the HT space.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #41 of 46 Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Laser light sources are expensive, there is the speckle issue to overcome, and there are safety issues. lenses would be considerably cheaper both because of smaller lenses and optical quality which can be significantly lower for laser collated.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #42 of 46 Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Laser light sources are expensive, there is the speckle issue to overcome, and there are safety issues. lenses would be considerably cheaper both because of smaller lenses and optical quality which can be significantly lower for laser collated.
Oh, absolutely... there are a number of options to minimize speckle, and the laser cost can be somewhat offset by the lens cost and bulb replacement savings (too bad the lasers can't be standardized and modular, then you'd be more likely to pay more knowing you could recoup cost or reuse for a newer PJ). The safety issue is the difficult one for HT... Not sure what they can do about that. My only point was I'm not sure I see any improvements in DLP anytime soon unless its lasers... And a long shot at that.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #43 of 46 Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony makes the best professional cinema quality video cameras hands down. They are the only company that gets colors right. As far as consumer electronics, there is so much competition out there that Sony is not the best at everything like they use to be. Too bad.
post #44 of 46 Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That is not true. Not the hands down part. I spend hours and hours on film shooting forums and there are a whole variety of camera makers out there with certain advantages and disadvantages to each. Red has made significant inroads in the digital camera industry and many prefer using a Red camera. Sony and Red are suing each other for patent infringement.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #45 of 46 Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hah, next someone will say there is only one good car, all other car MFR's are incompetent.

post #46 of 46 Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Whether it's true or not, I know that I personally think Sony and quality are synonymous with each other. I've never had a Sony product that I thought was cheap looking or was underperforming for it's price. I think they strive for quality but in this day in age people don't know what quality is or they simply don't see the difference between a Sony product and something cheaper.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Texas Instruments

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page