Roku 2 player and my RS4810 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I believe this to be a problem with the Roku, but I have no idea what section to post that in. The problem I am having, is whenever I have the device set to "surround sound," and I go to stream high definition content in 5.1 surround or any surround format through the Roku, the screen turns purple. Even when I exit from the video I am streaming and go back to the menu, everything is still purple. I have to go to display settings, and change the display setting to 720p to make the picture go back to normal. Then as soon as I go to watch a high definition video again, the picture goes purple again. It does this when it's set on either 720P or 1080P. That doesn't make a difference. However, turning surround sound off fixes the problem. But I want to be able to enable surround sound without the annoying purple screen.

I have tried using different HDMI cables, I hooked up the Roku DIRECTLY to the JVC RS4810, I hooked up to a regular HDTV, I did everything I could think of and then some to no avail. Even the service guy I was chatting with couldn't figure it out. Does anybody have a Roku player with this problem? If so, is there a fix???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Sounds like a color space mismatch. The player is switching color space but the projector is not set to auto.. Keep in mind the player should not change the color space once you set it. Color space is normally named RGB/YCbcr or 4:4:4, 4:2:2 etc
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Sounds like a color space mismatch. The player is switching color space but the projector is not set to auto.. Keep in mind the player should not change the color space once you set it. Color space is normally named RGB/YCbcr or 4:4:4, 4:2:2 etc

How would I fix that and why does changing the sound settings effect that?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

No idea, no idea. Just giving you a clue as to what causes purple picture, you will need to do more research
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm at a loss. It seems like something that has to be fixed in a firmware update or something, but the people at Roku are clueless about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Spectracal DPG2000 pattern generator that is just a WD live and there was one setting RGB HIGH 8bit that was supposed to be the proper level output, however if you select 1080p 24 it put out YCbCr and you have to reboot it to fix it. If you pull the hdmi cable out and plug it back in it switches to YCbCr .. The companies that make these thing don't seem to really care, as this has been a problem for almost a year and Spectrcal can not seem to get them to fix it.. See if you can change the HDMI settings on the projector after you get the purple screen to clear it up. One other thing that can do this is if the box is outputting a resolution/HZ compbo the projector can not handle.. which I don't think it the issue.. Bad HDMI cable that can not handle the signal throughput can do it as well. Make sure if the projector has a resolution setting it is set to auto .. it may help deal with the issue.. Good luck!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Roku

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page