Repairing my JVC DLA-RS15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As a few folks know from experience, there is what I will call a known issue with certain versions of JVC projectors. In this case it is my RS15 with the dreaded pink band down the left edge of the screen. The projector is 3 years old at the end of this month, so it is obviously outside of the the warranty. My credit card shafted me and I am now going to strictly use Amex, but that story is for another day.

I started my trek calling a local shop that deal in high end equipment, but they offer no service on JVC projectors. However, he offered me the name of 4 places that do, the first doesn't do JVC and the second confirmed what was already assumed, optical block and checked some JVC pricing, $3,100. Awesome.

So finally I called the next place, Royal Camera Service, located in Illinois, http://www.royalcameras.com/

I spoke with them and asked about my projector and mentioned the optical block when they said replacement was not needed. Instead the guy I spoke with stated that it may be possible to simply repair the optical block and re-align the lenses. Just curious, of the people that have experienced the banding issue have any gone this route of repair? Does this even sound plausible? He said they came aligned from the factory so as long as there is nothing too crazy wrong, it should be something they could just fix. I pressed the guy for a ball park figure and he said 300 - 500, not so horrible considering the cost for replacement.

So now for the fun question, has anyone actually even heard of this place and their reputation? I would need to assume they are decent considering they were the recommendation of a local shop which I consider a reputable dealer.

The offer free estimates. If they can fix it I pay the repair bill, if they cannot, I just pay the return shipping. I think my biggest fear is just sending the darn thing. They say within a few days they would know the projectors faith. I just hope if it cant be fixed that they return it is functioning order, pink band and all.

Any feedback about royal camera is appreciated along with anyone talking about this method of repair and whether it can succeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The dreaded pink band issue with these JVC's have something to do with temp and the glue they used at the factory (if I'm wrong, please correct me). My RS20 hasn't done this (yet), but If you go to the 'pink band issue thread', some people run the bulb in high mode and the problem, yet still visible, goes down quite a bit. I seriously doubt that some camera shop has the ability to even assess such an issue, and will cost you shipping. On another note, why don't you just zoom out into the black velvet of your screen? Some people here have done that, until they finally upgraded. Sucks that your credit card company is not backing you up rolleyes.gif GOOD LUCK wink.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I would invest the $500 into a newer JVC. There are great deals popping up on ebay for low miles R40's which don't suffer from this problem.

JVC's standard practice in the past was to replace the optical block if this happened. Repairing the optical block (if it's possible) may not be a permanent fix.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I guess I never realized that a used RS40 could be had for call it 1500-1800. At that rate it makes one really wonder and think about it.

As I am no expert in the area, I have no clue what goes into all of this, but of the discussions I did have, the optical block is one of the hardest things to get to in the projectors. You have to pretty much take the whole thing apart and once in there I guess replacement is the easiest thing. I mean most service shops don't have the knowledge to repair the block, just replace it, so the replacement there and JVC seems the right path. If I understand, the optical block is just the 3 main lenses that reflect the appropriate light to make my image. Obviously there is more but without it I have no picture...

This royal camera, while it sounds crazy, their site says they repair lots of things and not just cameras. Given their camera knowledge, I would only be able to assume that they know a little bit about lenses and how they work. Knowing the detail that goes into a camera lens gives them the ability to then understand and service the optic of a projector. When I told the guy what was happening he seemed knowledgeable. Whether or not he actually is, I have no clue. My simple thought is that if I can pay $30 to find out if it can be repaired, it might be worth it. They are currently offering free estimates.
Quote:

Typical Projector Problems

The most common problems in projectors that we repair are: no power, power on but unit will not project the image, overheating message, vertical lines or horizontal lines on the image, bad image colors or spot discoloration, black or white spots or dots on the image, input connection problems. Repair includes complete cleaning and maintenance service: outside and inside cleaning, cooling system cleaning (fans, air filters and air ducts), light engine cleaning (mirror condenser, light tunnel, color wheel or polarize filters), lens cleaning, inputs testing (HDMI, DVI, VGA, RGB, Video and S-Video) and restoring projectors to factory settings.

If they come back and say $300 and it is repaired, then I am set till I am ready to actually upgrade and I save $1000 - $1200 for a used projector, but I am totally not decided.

As far as the idea to zoom out to the black of the frame, it sounds good in theory, but because I do watch a lot of sports on my projector, this would result in the score always being cutoff and that would probably make me more crazy than the pink line. It is a tough call because as much as I would like to just scrap the unit in favor of upgrade-itis, I cannot seem to justify at the moment.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Thanks guys. I guess I never realized that a used RS40 could be had for call it 1500-1800. At that rate it makes one really wonder and think about it.

As I am no expert in the area, I have no clue what goes into all of this, but of the discussions I did have, the optical block is one of the hardest things to get to in the projectors. You have to pretty much take the whole thing apart and once in there I guess replacement is the easiest thing. I mean most service shops don't have the knowledge to repair the block, just replace it, so the replacement there and JVC seems the right path. If I understand, the optical block is just the 3 main lenses that reflect the appropriate light to make my image. Obviously there is more but without it I have no picture...

This royal camera, while it sounds crazy, their site says they repair lots of things and not just cameras. Given their camera knowledge, I would only be able to assume that they know a little bit about lenses and how they work. Knowing the detail that goes into a camera lens gives them the ability to then understand and service the optic of a projector. When I told the guy what was happening he seemed knowledgeable. Whether or not he actually is, I have no clue. My simple thought is that if I can pay $30 to find out if it can be repaired, it might be worth it. They are currently offering free estimates.
If they come back and say $300 and it is repaired, then I am set till I am ready to actually upgrade and I save $1000 - $1200 for a used projector, but I am totally not decided.

As far as the idea to zoom out to the black of the frame, it sounds good in theory, but because I do watch a lot of sports on my projector, this would result in the score always being cutoff and that would probably make me more crazy than the pink line. It is a tough call because as much as I would like to just scrap the unit in favor of upgrade-itis, I cannot seem to justify at the moment.

I would be looking into a B-stock, before paying that much for a used RS40.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Do you guys still get B-Stock inventory in for RS-40/RS-45?

These are the best deals guys, if you can get one, get one fast...
They come with full warranty and are often as cheap or cheaper than what you find used on Ebay.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Do you guys still get B-Stock inventory in for RS-40/RS-45?

We do get them on occasion - feel free to call periodically and see what we have. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I have convinced myself of the B-stock. However, the plan is currently to wait out the bulb life in my RS-15 and then once it goes, so does the projector.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page