Any downside purchasing a refurbished JVC with 2 yr warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm considering buying a refurbished X70/RS55 JVC projector with 2 yr JVC warranty.

Are there any downsides when it comes to buying a JVC refurb?

Does refurb mean that they had to fix a problem with the projector?

Will the lamp be new or low hours?

Also, will it be reset to all the factory defaults including greyscale etc.?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still on the hunt for the RS55 I see smile.gif

sCiEnt
post #3 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Hey Tom, is there any sort of return policy for the refurb? I bought my BenQ 7000 refurbished and the thing that pushed me over to take the risk was the 2 week no questions asked money back return policy. If you have a similar return policy, I say go for it since you have nothing to loose. If they dont offer that, I would be a bit more hesitant (not saying I would rule it out though).

I dont know the answers to the rest of your questions, sorry.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Tom,

If this is from the JVC pro store they offer a 14-day return policy with money back as long as you pay to ship it back. As long as they fixed the problem it was refurbished for there shouldn't be any issue especially since it does come with the same 2 year manufacturer's warranty. I would imagine all settings would be reset to factory default but if not you could always access service menu and do this yourself if you feel the settings weren't reset. Below is excerpt from JVC which applies to all refurbished projectors sold by them or authorized sellers of refurbished JVC projectors about the lamp:

The lamp carries a 90 day or 300 hour warranty. Also the item does not come with a new lamp unless during refurbishing the lamp has more than 200 hours, then the lamp is replaced. We would not know if the projector that you purchase will either have a new lamp or may have some hours, this information is not available to us.

I too, have considered going this route as my RS40 is currently being serviced by JVC under warranty and I'm waiting to see what the outcome is. I wouldn't have any problem buying a refurbished projector with 14 day return policy and 2 year warranty in case something is wrong with it you are covered.

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #5 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
it's from Amazon, they state a 14 day return policy on the auction.

These are probably low mile examples with minor issues like the stuck door, etc. I expect these will sell quick once the word gets out to the 'bargains' sites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help guys.smile.gif

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #7 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it's from Amazon, they state a 14 day return policy on the auction.

These are probably low mile examples with minor issues like the stuck door, etc. I expect these will sell quick once the word gets out to the 'bargains' sites.

I spoke with the seller and they have nothing to do with Amazon.

Tom

post #8 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Tom,

If this is from the JVC pro store they offer a 14-day return policy with money back as long as you pay to ship it back. As long as they fixed the problem it was refurbished for there shouldn't be any issue especially since it does come with the same 2 year manufacturer's warranty. I would imagine all settings would be reset to factory default but if not you could always access service menu and do this yourself if you feel the settings weren't reset. Below is excerpt from JVC which applies to all refurbished projectors sold by them or authorized sellers of refurbished JVC projectors about the lamp:

The lamp carries a 90 day or 300 hour warranty. Also the item does not come with a new lamp unless during refurbishing the lamp has more than 200 hours, then the lamp is replaced. We would not know if the projector that you purchase will either have a new lamp or may have some hours, this information is not available to us.

I too, have considered going this route as my RS40 is currently being serviced by JVC under warranty and I'm waiting to see what the outcome is. I wouldn't have any problem buying a refurbished projector with 14 day return policy and 2 year warranty in case something is wrong with it you are covered.

Thanks,
Mike

Well that clears that up. Thanks!

How would one find out what the original service menu setting are?

Tom

post #9 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

You can just go into JVC Service menu by hitting up-down-left-right-enter which will put you into service menu then do a factory reset which will reset everything to factory default.

Mike

post #10 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I spoke with the seller and they have nothing to do with Amazon.

Tom

Tom,

You might wanna wait on those as I sent a question to JVC to see if warranty is valid. Seller claims the name of his business is Specified Electronics and they are not listed as an authorized dealer. He told me they came with a 2 year warranty but I have to hear it from JVC before I proceed.

Mike

post #11 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I'm surprised with a name like 'amazon-electronics' that they aren't getting cease and desist letters.

Their reputation is very good, selling $7K+ LCD sets. I'm sure JVC is going to give the company line that no products will be warrantied unless sold by an authorized dealer. Not sure how the refurbs work.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
They probably are or eventually will be, googlegear.com got away with it for a while before being forced to become zipzoomfly.com (worst name I've ever heard, sounds like a levi's commercial) before going broke.

Though it is harder to argue a trademark on a generic well known name like Amazon, that is not trademarkable in the fullest sense. What Amazon will argue is that they are in electronics and the person that registered the name did so with the intention of creating a trademark confusion. I'm not sure Amazon.com can win in this case, maybe. Google had an easier job winning that because Google was not as common of a name, rather just a math term. There have been lots of businesses before Amazon.com use the word Amazon in their business name, that is one thing that makes it harder.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #13 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom,

You might wanna wait on those as I sent a question to JVC to see if warranty is valid. Seller claims the name of his business is Specified Electronics and they are not listed as an authorized dealer. He told me they came with a 2 year warranty but I have to hear it from JVC before I proceed.

Mike

Hey Mike,

PLEASE PM me when you find out. smile.gif

Thanks,
Tom

post #14 of 26 Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hey Mike,

PLEASE PM me when you find out. smile.gif

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Sure will. I think the request I sent on their website this weekend said they would respond in 24-48 business hours. If warranty isn't valid we always have option of paying for a warranty through Square Trade. I'll let you know when I hear from JVC.

Mike

post #15 of 26 Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just make sure the warranty is from JVC.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates on this please? Was the PJ valid for a JVC warranty?

Thank you!
post #17 of 26 Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

No response from my email inquiry. If you look up the seller at JVC, under his store name he told me it is, he is not listed as an authorized dealer. Also, the JVC website states this:

JVC projectors are occasionally sold by online retailers who are not authorized to sell JVC products. You should be aware that the products these unauthorized retailers sell:

May be refurbished rather than new;
Might not include all accessories;
Might not include a valid United States warranty;
Could be models not meant for sale in the United States.

For these reasons, you should make sure to purchase products only from a JVC authorized Procision retailer.

I have had too much trouble from my RS40 to buy another JVC with warranty service that I am 100% is there. Even warranty service is sometimes not enough. I just sent my RS40 to Mendtronix(who JVC uses to service their projectors) for a problem with front remote sensor not working and a problem with the brightness control which didn't work properly. It came back on friday(4-12-13)from Mendtronix with a new processor pwb and a new optical unit(rtv core). Projector worked the first time I turned it on but after that front remote sensor does not work again and I need that front remote sensor to work for my setup. Emailed Mendtronix and the guy called me almost immediately and one of the options was for me to call JVC and see if they could switch projector out for a refurb newer model without this problem. JVC was no help as their only advice was to check batteries in remote. frown.gif. The guy at Mendtronix said to email him back after I talked to JVC, this was 2 days ago and no response so I will be calling him today. Front remote sensor will work if you unplug projector for a while but then will stop working again. A few people in the RS40 thread have this problem. Very frustrating. Sorry to rant. I hope Mendtronix doesn't expect me to pay the $60 it cost to ship projector to them again since it came back from them with same problem.

So, the moral of my story.....DON'T BUY WITHOUT A VALID JVC MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY........and even then, cross your fingers!! wink.gif

Mike

post #18 of 26 Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Buy from us - we are authorized JVC dealers. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #19 of 26 Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I just sent my RS40 to Mendtronix(who JVC uses to service their projectors) for a problem with front remote sensor not working and a problem with the brightness control which didn't work properly.
Mike

Did the IR sensor problem occur with the original JVC projector remote or a different remote?
Also do you have your 3D IR emitter plugged in, that can cause it.

Why in god's name did they replace an optical block for a remote sensor?
What the heck kind of technician came to that conclusion.

That's like taking your car in for an oil change and they replace the engine.

All projectors have issues, and as much as I know the emotional component of having a problem and being outside the sample size, the fact you had a problem with JVC is an invalid sample size (though I know how VALID it feels when it happens to you). Let's be logical though, the fact you had a problem with a JVC does not mean JVC's are prone to problems, though the RS-40 was prone to lamp problems. Yes, the Sony is probably a tad more reliable, but the JVC is reliable in most respects, and the newer JVC's seem to be better.

Having been int his forum for years and read thousands of threads, I would say the RS-45's have had VERY few issues in comparison to the sample size posted. However, the lamps do fail a little early, but not as bad so it seems as some of the earlier models.

I have made it to 1400 hours on my JVC RS-45 lamp (series 2 original), so fingers crossed....

AVS is the best place to buy it from, they will help you if you get LEMONIZED...

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #20 of 26 Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the original JVC remote and it works fine on the back sensor which it out of the line of remote hitting it. It's just the front remote sensor that quit working. I can't see 3D as I just have vision in 1 eye so no 3D emitter is plugged up. They replaced optical unit because projector quit responding when trying to use brightness adjustment. That did fix that problem but front sensor remote problem is still not working and now even unplugging projector and waiting 5 minutes doesn't make it work again. In the RS40 thread this problem has been reported by a few owners as well. The RS40 is very quirky, or at least mine is. Other than lamp dying after 500 hours I hadn't had any problems until recently, now they have snowballed. My warranty is good until 4-29-13 and I think all warranty repairs are covered for 120 days. Even after having these problems my next projector will still be a JVC for their great black levels and contrast.

Mike

post #21 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Buy from us - we are authorized JVC dealers. smile.gif
I bought my refurbished rs-40 last August from avscience. Had good dealings with them and a good price. I dealt with Mike. The only issue I had was that it was supposed to be "QA'd" prior to shipping to make sure everything worked and mine had a bad hdmi input mad.gif. So it cost me an additional 70 bucks to ship it to JVC in Long Beach for repair. But I would not hesitate to purchase from av science and refurbished with a warranty doesn't scare me at all from any reputable dealer.
post #22 of 26 Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM

DON'T DO IT. I bought a refurbished X90 with a "3 year" warranty. Had to have it repaired after 9 months and JVC refused to pay. Said there is only a 90 day warranty on refurb projectors.

DON"T BUY IT..
post #23 of 26 Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbloom View Post

DON'T DO IT. I bought a refurbished X90 with a "3 year" warranty. Had to have it repaired after 9 months and JVC refused to pay. Said there is only a 90 day warranty on refurb projectors.

DON"T BUY IT..

You didn't buy it from an authorized JVC dealer or JVC's own EBay acct which is jvcprostore, did you? Because authorized JVC resellers and JVC give you the same warranty on refurbished projectors as new projectors. AV Science can verify this as refurbished JVC's bought from them carry full warranty and that is why people should check eBay resellers with JVC even if they say it comes with full warranty.

post #24 of 26 Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Triple post.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Triple post.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #26 of 26 Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejceles View Post

I bought my refurbished rs-40 last August from avscience. Had good dealings with them and a good price. I dealt with Mike. The only issue I had was that it was supposed to be "QA'd" prior to shipping to make sure everything worked and mine had a bad hdmi input mad.gif. So it cost me an additional 70 bucks to ship it to JVC in Long Beach for repair. But I would not hesitate to purchase from av science and refurbished with a warranty doesn't scare me at all from any reputable dealer.

It arrived that way?? We check all functions and we connect up a signal generator and run test patterns. Last year only about 80% passed our inspection.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X70 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page