Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 646 Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Friends,

we have a thead here in my German hifi forum, you can use the translater ...
With a sublink at first to cine4home.

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-12355.html

My Report my own experience when i get the Trude this week.

Greetings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 646 Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 18
Set up my new 135" 16:9 Elunevision Reference 4k fixed frame 1.0 gain screen tonight with the HC5. I'm happy to report that to my eye, the HC5 seems to have enough power to light up this 135" screen with my ~18' throw in my velveted theater in low lamp mode and the iris at 9 at my 13' viewing distance. Hopefully this will remain the case as the bulb ages, although I have some room to move with the iris and lamp mode.

I want to let the shock and awe of going from 115" to 135" wear off and do some more critical viewing before I say too much, but my first impression of the new screen size paired with the mits is very good. The sense of immersion is fantastic, brightness is good, and I didn't need a barf bucket while watching fast moving scenes (hopefully this remains to be the case). I have now gone from a 110 to 115 to 135" screen in my current theater and I have been more happy with each size increment. I have read a lot lately on screen size selection and there are definitely varying opinions on optimal screen size with some preferring screens slightly on the smaller side to maximize brightness, keep the image punchy, and use a smaller portion of the lens to maximize sharpness and then there are others who like the image as big as frickin' possible no matter the cost. With my vision, which is 20/20, I can honestly say that I messed around quite a bit before purchasing the new screen with cranking the image up to 135" and back down to 115", and I was not able to detect any differences in picture quality or even brightness for that matter. Experienced videophiles on here reading this definitely just mumbled 'newb' to themselves after reading that, didn't they?

As for the elunevision screen itself, this is my second elunevision screen, the first being a 115" reference 4k 16:9. My first impressions of 135" model are very good. Their 115" screen size uses a different screen material then there 125 and up reference screens, and out of the gates anyway, I am not missing the 115" material. It seems equally textureless and uniform. I purchased the screen through Eastporters again, and they are great to deal with, stand by their products, ship quickly, and I think offer a very good product. I would not hesitate to buy again from them (and given my upgraditis, likely will sooner than later). The screen is incredibly smooth and does not seem to add any objectionable texture. I would love to see it next to a hd pro 1.1 or snomat. I am sure it would fare very well.

As for some of my other theater purchases I mentioned a few posts back - I may still get the darbee as it should be noticeable on the big screen. Calibration gear is out for the time being though. Maybe next year. Between the new screen, extra velvet, and the palliser media power recliners that I picked up, I think it's time to slip back into saving and enjoying what you have mode!
post #273 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12 View Post

Set up my new 135" 16:9 Elunevision Reference 4k fixed frame 1.0 gain screen tonight with the HC5. I'm happy to report that to my eye, the HC5 seems to have enough power to light up this 135" screen with my ~18' throw in my velveted theater in low lamp mode and the iris at 9 at my 13' viewing distance. Hopefully this will remain the case as the bulb ages, although I have some room to move with the iris and lamp mode.

I want to let the shock and awe of going from 115" to 135" wear off and do some more critical viewing before I say too much, but my first impression of the new screen size paired with the mits is very good. The sense of immersion is fantastic, brightness is good, and I didn't need a barf bucket while watching fast moving scenes (hopefully this remains to be the case). I have now gone from a 110 to 115 to 135" screen in my current theater and I have been more happy with each size increment. I have read a lot lately on screen size selection and there are definitely varying opinions on optimal screen size with some preferring screens slightly on the smaller side to maximize brightness, keep the image punchy, and use a smaller portion of the lens to maximize sharpness and then there are others who like the image as big as frickin' possible no matter the cost. With my vision, which is 20/20, I can honestly say that I messed around quite a bit before purchasing the new screen with cranking the image up to 135" and back down to 115", and I was not able to detect any differences in picture quality or even brightness for that matter. Experienced videophiles on here reading this definitely just mumbled 'newb' to themselves after reading that, didn't they?

As for the elunevision screen itself, this is my second elunevision screen, the first being a 115" reference 4k 16:9. My first impressions of 135" model are very good. Their 115" screen size uses a different screen material then there 125 and up reference screens, and out of the gates anyway, I am not missing the 115" material. It seems equally textureless and uniform. I purchased the screen through Eastporters again, and they are great to deal with, stand by their products, ship quickly, and I think offer a very good product. I would not hesitate to buy again from them (and given my upgraditis, likely will sooner than later). The screen is incredibly smooth and does not seem to add any objectionable texture. I would love to see it next to a hd pro 1.1 or snomat. I am sure it would fare very well.

As for some of my other theater purchases I mentioned a few posts back - I may still get the darbee as it should be noticeable on the big screen. Calibration gear is out for the time being though. Maybe next year. Between the new screen, extra velvet, and the palliser media power recliners that I picked up, I think it's time to slip back into saving and enjoying what you have mode!

That's awesome!! Would love to see some pics if you get time smile.gif

post #274 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 PM

Here's a few pictures of my room. I am no photographer (as you will quickly realize from the photos) and it is very difficult to get a decent shot of the room given the combination of with how dark it is and how crappy my camera is. I guess what I am saying is that it's kind of like that old girlfriend you used to have that you swore looked better in real life then she did in the photo.

post #275 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
What is that "shade" that's on the top 1/3 of the screen? Is that some sort of masking for scope material? Nice room by the way. It looks like a great "dedicated" space for movie watching. No colorful accents, just down right appropriate color choices for optimal front projection.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #276 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's a few pictures of my room. I am no photographer (as you will quickly realize from the photos) and it is very difficult to get a decent shot of the room given the combination of with how dark it is and how crappy my camera is. I guess what I am saying is that it's kind of like that old girlfriend you used to have that you swore looked better in real life then she did in the photo.

Kudos!!! Looks fantastic! You should be proud of that old girlfriend cause she looks good :-) Thanks for sharing

post #277 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the nice comments! I built the room myself about 2 years ago and have been modding it ever since. It is getting closer to the point I would like, although I would love to rip out the carpet and replace it with a black one (guaranteed divorce). I also cannot stand the door where it is. Very poor design decision on my part. I was very close to moving the doorway but with the rest of the basement finished now and a new baby and a 2.5 year old, I got too lazy and decided to just try and work around it. I also should have made the riser a little larger. I could go on with more lessons learnt... but I won't.

Seegs - the shadow on the screen is from this seemingly bright idea I had to 'protect' my ceiling from reflected light from the screen by adding a sort of visor on my light box. You might be able to see it better in the sketchup drawing below. It actually works not too bad as it does increase the area of my ceiling that is dark and non-distracting. I am going to be removing it soon though as I plan to velvet my ceiling out as far as I have the floor velveted. As for masking, I'm going to have to make a new masking system with this larger screen. The one I had previously was very bargain basement, but it did the job. Basically I used the mits' lens shift to push the top black bar off of the screen, then wrapped 2 things of styrofoam in velvet and set them in the screen frame to blacken the bottom black bar. The styrofoam was naturally 'sticky' to the screen just due to static charge so I didn't have to use any magents or any kind of somewhat respectable method of creating a masking system for that matter. Not fancy, somewhat ugly, very simple, pretty effective.

post #278 of 646 Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Supermega Jimmy ,

Nice dark room !

Greetings
post #279 of 646 Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yeah, nice job! JewDaddy, like your media room as well.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #280 of 646 Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Yeah, nice job! JewDaddy, like your media room as well.

Thanks! Looking forward to adding the new Epson 5030 to my theater room next week.

post #281 of 646 Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Yes, very nice room JewDaddy! An epson 5030 in the hc5 thread though??? Pure blasphemy!

Kidding of course. Looking forward to your thoughts on the 5030. Sounds like it will be a very nice unit!
post #282 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, very nice room JewDaddy! An epson 5030 in the hc5 thread though??? Pure blasphemy!

Kidding of course. Looking forward to your thoughts on the 5030. Sounds like it will be a very nice unit!

Thanks Jimmy! Hey, at least I didn't mention a JVC in here..... Oops. Lol

I was very impressed with the 5020 which is why I sent it back to get the 5030. Should have it Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I'll keep you posted on my thoughts. I actually wanted to go with the Mits HC5 but it was hard to find one to buy online. There was a guy on EBay selling them but it seemed a little too risky. Plus, I need something with a good return policy, as I have a tendency to change my mind.

post #283 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 14
Looks like a very nice room! And the chairs look very comfy, too.

I bought my Mitsubishi HC5 off of ebay last Christmas and it has been working well. I was a little worried about the warranty as well as I live in Canada and the purchase was made from the U.S. I bought an international warranty so I should be covered but I have never had to use it, so who knows. It was worth the gamble as it is a great projector. I also bought a second bulb just in case.
post #284 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Albert Canuck - where did you purchase your extended warranty from? How long is the warranty good for and who covers shipping costs for repairs? Thanks.
post #285 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM

I bought the projector from Breckenridge Computers on ebay and they offered an online international service contract through Mack Camera. Hopefully it is legit.
post #286 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks. I had a Mack Camera warranty for my h8600, and while I did not have to use it, from my reading the Mack warranties seemed to have positive feedback.
post #287 of 646 Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 PM

That is good to know, thanks!
post #288 of 646 Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have been playing around with my settings over the last few days and stumbled onto the "Detail Enhancement" settings in the menus. I always leave these off on all projectors I have had the last couple of years because I have a Darbee. However, I tried this one out and a combination of "medium" on the HC5 with one of the lower settings on the Darbee (Film>35%) seems to look better to me than the Darbee alone at 55%. At this setting, I also see no adverse effects like ringing.

I am not going to say it looks as good as what Elix posted of his combination, but I find it pleasing in my setup.

Would someone else care to try this out as well (if you have a Darbee, of course)? If not, I'd recommend you at least give it a try on its own.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #289 of 646 Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am considering picking up a used hc5 ...or hc9000 if anyone is looking to upgrade to the soon to be released Sony or JVC. Perfect panel alignment a must. Pm me.
post #290 of 646 Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

I am considering picking up a used hc5 ...or hc9000 if anyone is looking to upgrade to the soon to be released Sony or JVC. Perfect panel alignment a must. Pm me.

Rob,

I am coming from a G90 and I love my HC5. You will to.
post #291 of 646 Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 PM

UFO is selling one on here if you haven't already seen his ad .

What pj are you coming from? The HC5 is definitely a nice unit. As was said above, you'll love it.
post #292 of 646 Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UFO is selling one on here if you haven't already seen his ad .

What pj are you coming from? The HC5 is definitely a nice unit. As was said above, you'll love it.

marquee 9500LC, fairly modded and upgraded... I bought a a panamorph uh480 a year or so ago and am aching to giver her a whirl. its in the classifieds if you're interested! tongue.gif
post #293 of 646 Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonsky View Post

Rob,

I am coming from a G90 and I love my HC5. You will to.

wow...that's probably the biggest (to me) endorsement yet...I have seen Art Sonnenburgs (sp?) former g90 stack!!!
post #294 of 646 Old 10-10-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

wow...that's probably the biggest (to me) endorsement yet...I have seen Art Sonnenburgs (sp?) former g90 stack!!!

I am a few hours from you, so if you wanna check mine out, I'd be happy to show you. Just had UMR from Accucal calibrate mine.
post #295 of 646 Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonsky View Post

I am a few hours from you, so if you wanna check mine out, I'd be happy to show you. Just had UMR from Accucal calibrate mine.
i'ld like that. pm me your details and i'll see if i can make it happen.

greatly appreciated.
post #296 of 646 Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
As of today, Mitsubishi has closed down the projector division. frown.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #297 of 646 Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

source PLS...

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #298 of 646 Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
post #299 of 646 Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Pm me with the close out pricing on the hc5! smile.gif
post #300 of 646 Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
They don't ship to Canada. Also, HC5 stock was bought up months ago. There are very few new units left out there.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Brand , Mitsubishi Electronics America , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page