Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 683 Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi. i;m a new owner of a hc5! which are the best 3d emitter and 3d glasses for hc5? how is 3d picture quality on hc5? is it worth investing on emitter and glasses? best place(s) to buy online? i tried the 2d/3d conversion and the picture was split side to side and split top to bottom. am i doing something wrong? any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 683 Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It is worth investing in a secondary 3D projector like Optoma HD131x (1080p) or Optoma GT760 (720p). Otherwise, save your money for something else - 3D on Mitsubishi HC5 isn't worth it, imo.
post #543 of 683 Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM

I just got the Trude 3D emitter a while ago. I dont know about the original Mitsubishi emitter, but the result with Trude and Sony PS3 glasses is not bad with 3D blu-ray movies.
There is a tiny bit of ghosting, usually on the lower end of the picture, but nothing serious.

On that note, I wonder if someone can recommend better glasses than the PS3 ones? They are really uncomfortable after a while.
post #544 of 683 Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_002 View Post

I just got the Trude 3D emitter a while ago. I dont know about the original Mitsubishi emitter, but the result with Trude and Sony PS3 glasses is not bad with 3D blu-ray movies.
There is a tiny bit of ghosting, usually on the lower end of the picture, but nothing serious.

On that note, I wonder if someone can recommend better glasses than the PS3 ones? They are really uncomfortable after a while.

I definitely recommend reading this thread, as it seems to answer just about every 3d question about the HC5. Good stuff.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499022/3d-kit-recommendation-for-mitsubishi-hc5

AVR - Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 / Sources - PS3/Xbox360
Fronts - Klipsch KF-28 / Center - Klipsch RC-62
Sides - Klipsch VS-14 / Rears - Klipsch VS-14
Sub1 - SVS PB12-NSD / Sub2 - SVS PB12-NSD
PRJ - Mitsubishi HC5 / SCN - 120" ES cinewhite
post #545 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked: 11
Just thought I'd update the thread on the status of my HC5. Been two months and Mitsubishi still has my projector for repair. I have since bought a Planar PD8150 from a moderator here and I am in love with it. So when and IF it comes back I will be selling the HC5 for a steal.
post #546 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anybody know where to download english manual ?
I just purchased the projector and got the unit. I just wonder how much room i need to left sides of projector ? And how does the airflow work.
My manual has all but english and my mother language finnish
post #547 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM

The English manual is in the box with the projector, separate from the other manuals in with the remotes.
post #548 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Great....exept i would have not asked for it it were in the box B-)
post #549 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 AM

It,s a shop demo from germany.
post #550 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Some people forget to check all of the box though wink.gif a HC9000d manual will work for it.
post #551 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM

What was the issue and what are they saying is the reason it's taking so long?
When I had an issue with the SXRD panels on mine they told me it was going to take 3-6 months to get parts to repair it, they told me they had to order a LCD block assembly and a new lamp (there was a problem with the lamp too).....the lamp was no problem the block assembly had no ETA.
I complained and they sent me a new replacement (my HC5 had less than 80 hrs).
If I had another issue I think I would be out of luck because I believe they don't have any more units available and obviously they do not have certain parts in stock to do the repairs.
The warranty is pretty much useless if it requires major parts that they need to get from SONY. I can't believe they did not stock enough spare parts to fullfill any warranty issues with these projectors considering they came with 2-3 yr manufacturer warranty periods.
post #552 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM

They haven't said square one but "we are waiting on a part. We don't have any HC5s to replace yours with. Best we can have you do is have you wait."
post #553 of 683 Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonsky View Post

They haven't said square one but "we are waiting on a part. We don't have any HC5s to replace yours with. Best we can have you do is have you wait."
I'm sorry but that is really unacceptable. They should either fix your projector, send you a new one, or issue a refund. Holding the unit for months on end is really poor customer service. Will they extend your warranty to make up for the months you've been without it? There must be some rules or regulations regarding this, otherwise they could just hold the projector till the warranty is up and then send it back to you unrepaired with no further obligations.

On another note, have any of you had the projector lock up when changing the iris setting from the remote? I have had it happen twice now that when I change the iris setting using the iris button on the remote (not in the setting in the menu) the projector become unresponsive and after about 5 minutes it powers down. No other problems to speak of and this one is easily avoided, just thought I would check if anyone else has experienced it.
post #554 of 683 Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 18
neonsky - I agree with 3dmaven. That's unacceptable. You should push them to provide you with a refund. Even a refund assuming some depreciated value may be acceptable. Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

3dmaven - My hc5 locked up due to messing around with the iris settings a few times as well. I had a quick demo at a guy's house who owned an hc9000 and he had the same issue.
post #555 of 683 Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
+1 Call them back and just tell them you want a refund or you going to make some phone calls to BBB.

post #556 of 683 Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM

is it normal to have vierd crackling noise when changing the iris from open to any other mode ?
by the way is the RF 3d any better ? the ir glasses that came with the projector are total utter crap.
i can´t understand how anybody would wan´t to watch anything with those. i don´t even think the ghostin
was the problem but the flickering was awfull.... you have to stare at the point in distance and when you
happen accidentyly to turn your eyes the horrible flicker occures.
2D is superb. specially using my curved silver screen. high contrast and super blacks with open iris. only
minor thing is the little grainines of silver screen frown.gif

-Janne-
post #557 of 683 Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM

can anyone answer about the interpolation....
i watched oblivion and it was super cool smooth with tru film mode. i liked it allthough there is some scenes where it´s so soapy but i still like it more than the
normal 24p .. then i watched some 3d material to say it´s utter crap.
...here we come to the problem..
today i watched lone ranger.. there was some wierd things happening with the FI , it looked like sometimes it was on and then it slowed to like not on at all,
i looked and the setting was tru video, and i don´t remember turning it from tru film to video. anyways, when i switched it back to film i think the wierd slowing and speeding
thingy was removed, but i wonder was it removed or was there still some, the oblivion seemed sooo good.
is there difference in films, at some the FI works better ?
does the iris mode affect the FI ?

what is the best color mode from BD player to hc5 with hdmi ?

-J-
post #558 of 683 Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 PM

Vaan Janne: There is noise with the iris adjustments, it sounds like motor whining to me though and never a cracking sound.

Try adjusting the 3D setting of the glasses in the menu to a lower number (like 3.0) to see if the glasses behave better. Mine work fairly well now after some adjustments, but I would say the 3D is far from spectacular on this projector.

With FI you certainly want to use tru film for any 24p source (i.e. anything but live BD's and DVD's) tru video is for 60p/50p sources like sports and live concerts (usually 1080i60/50 and 720i60/50). I agree, it really makes a big difference and the tru-film is really quite good (I tend to dislike it on animated films though). I do not believe the iris mode and FI interact at all really.

As for the color mode, I calibrate it, so I can't really help you there. Go through this thread and see if someone has made any suggestions (I think some folks have).
post #559 of 683 Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

Vaan Janne: There is noise with the iris adjustments, it sounds like motor whining to me though and never a cracking sound.

Try adjusting the 3D setting of the glasses in the menu to a lower number (like 3.0) to see if the glasses behave better. Mine work fairly well now after some adjustments, but I would say the 3D is far from spectacular on this projector.

With FI you certainly want to use tru film for any 24p source (i.e. anything but live BD's and DVD's) tru video is for 60p/50p sources like sports and live concerts (usually 1080i60/50 and 720i60/50). I agree, it really makes a big difference and the tru-film is really quite good (I tend to dislike it on animated films though). I do not believe the iris mode and FI interact at all really.

As for the color mode, I calibrate it, so I can't really help you there. Go through this thread and see if someone has made any suggestions (I think some folks have).

if i set set iris to variable i hear no noise when ever the the iris is working only when changing the iris mode into one ore the other...cycling through i hear the noise and it is not whine it´s more like crackling ratteling,
allthough the manual says "Mechanical operating
noise (clicking sound)
is heard.
r The iris produces sound while operating. This is not a malfunction."

i don´t think the light number makes a difference, ok therse is less crosstalk but the flickering remains about anoin.
post #560 of 683 Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Update for those interested.
Encompass the company that handles Mitsubishis warranty service has informed me via voicemail that the part they need to repair my projector is on back order till June. So. I've decided to send a spirited email to Mitsubishi and my dealer on this unacceptable news. Will update with responses as they come in.
Side note i appreciate all the support to and replies. Thanks.
post #561 of 683 Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Encompass the company that handles Mitsubishis warranty service has informed me via voicemail that the part they need to repair my projector is on back order till June. So. I've decided to send a spirited email to Mitsubishi and my dealer on this unacceptable news. Will update with responses as they come in.

Well, that is totally ridiculous. in the past I bought Mitsubishi products because they had good warranties and stood behind them, but this is unacceptable and unbelievable. I am really glad I paid the extra moolah for the Square Trade warranty as they usually step in with a refund if parts aren't available pretty quickly.

That being said, I guess I won't have upgradeitis for a while as I will just use this until it falls apart and 4K is readily available. In fact, since I am only at 100" screen size and with 80" LCDs prevalent now and 92" and 100" LCDs coming available, I may never need another projector... I hope.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #562 of 683 Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

holy bat-crap... i'd be beyond pissed... i'm on the verge of ordering the mitsu 7900, as it comes with a 2yr war... didn't realize the 2yr warr refers to the actual time it will take em to repair a unit... I just mite pay the extra $$$ for a square deal warr... prob worth it...
post #563 of 683 Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Well, that is totally ridiculous. in the past I bought Mitsubishi products because they had good warranties and stood behind them, but this is unacceptable and unbelievable. I am really glad I paid the extra moolah for the Square Trade warranty as they usually step in with a refund if parts aren't available pretty quickly.

That being said, I guess I won't have upgradeitis for a while as I will just use this until it falls apart and 4K is readily available. In fact, since I am only at 100" screen size and with 80" LCDs prevalent now and 92" and 100" LCDs coming available, I may never need another projector... I hope.

I'm looking at a mitsui product the 7900 with the same warr... square trade says that if it can't be repaired within 5days they will refund their cost of their insur .. not the cost of the pj...BIG DIFF...

now i'm having 2nd thoughts about buying the pj
post #564 of 683 Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think at this stage in the game it's a big gamble to buy any Mitsubishi projector. I bought an HC5 a couple months ago which had issues right out of the box. My dealer took it back and I opted for a buy up to the new JVC X500R. Looks like that was the right thing to do.wink.gif
post #565 of 683 Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 PM

I bought my HC5 a little over a year ago and it has worked perfectly, I guess I got lucky. I bought it off of ebay with an international warranty (I live in Canada, seller in the states). It sounds like the extra I paid for the warranty may have been a waste of money if Mitsubishi isn't offering very good service. Hopefully the projector keeps working as I really love the picture.

I bought a spare bulb a while ago, would it make sense to buy another one as they may be hard to find in the future? I think It is the same bulb as the HC9000D. I only have about 150 hours on the original bulb so at this rate I should be good for a while.
post #566 of 683 Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Last update.
Mitsubishi is sending me a HC8000d as a replacement. It will be going up for sale as soon as it lands on my porch.
post #567 of 683 Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Last update.
Mitsubishi is sending me a HC8000d as a replacement. It will be going up for sale as soon as it lands on my porch.

is the hc8000D crappier than hc5 ?
post #568 of 683 Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM

I don't know if crappier is the right term, seeing as the 8000 uses dlp technology and the 9000/HC5 use LCoS. To me it seems as more of a lateral move than a downgrade.
post #569 of 683 Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM

That's right. I did not remember 8000 was a dlp.
post #570 of 683 Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

Liked: 95
My parents came over to watch the Superbowl on my big screen. This is the first time they've been over since I've upgraded my projector (HC5)/subs/center/rears/PrePro/Darbee. The Superbowl was received via OTA (Fox @ 720p/5.1) + Mohu Leaf Ultimate + HD Homerun tuner + HTPC and the picture/sound quality was pretty damn good IMO. My parents said it sounded like they were really there. The pictures don't really do the whole setup justice, but it gives you an idea. (Samsung Galaxy Note 2)

Me and my dad. (I need to teach my mom how to take better pictures, lol)

AVR - Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 / Sources - PS3/Xbox360
Fronts - Klipsch KF-28 / Center - Klipsch RC-62
Sides - Klipsch VS-14 / Rears - Klipsch VS-14
Sub1 - SVS PB12-NSD / Sub2 - SVS PB12-NSD
PRJ - Mitsubishi HC5 / SCN - 120" ES cinewhite
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Brand , Mitsubishi Electronics America , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page