Official Mitsubishi HC5 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 697 Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So where is this unit available for $1799?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 697 Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

CMS on H5...would like to know if this has indeed been set straight.
Very interested in this projector.
If I had a chance to pick up either a barely used RS46 demo (42 hours, full warranty still being offered) or the HC5 brand new for 2000, what might I be weighing in my mind?

The only thing bothering me about the JVC is how the used market may tank based on the various issues out there. I looked at a used JVC with one year warranty remaining but couldn't bite due to the pink stripe issue and the old lamp design. The Sony panels don't seem to have quite as many problems. If you like to upgrade, the resale is important.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #33 of 697 Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Guys, I'm wondering what's the perspective of using CIH 2.35:1 screen with this projector (without anamorphic lens). Is it worth the hassle assuming I don't have more than 2 meters width for the screen anyway?
With 2.35:1 screen the dimensions (WxH) would be 200x85 for 2.35:1 content and 151x85 for 16:9 content.
With 16:9 screen the dimensions would be 200x85 for 2.35:1 content and 200x112.5 for 16:9 content.
post #34 of 697 Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Guys, I'm wondering what's the perspective of using CIH 2.35:1 screen with this projector (without anamorphic lens). Is it worth the hassle assuming I don't have more than 2 meters width for the screen anyway?
With 2.35:1 screen the dimensions (WxH) would be 200x85 for 2.35:1 content and 151x85 for 16:9 content.
With 16:9 screen the dimensions would be 200x85 for 2.35:1 content and 200x112.5 for 16:9 content.

With those dimension constraints, I think you'd be better off with the regular 16:9 setup. The value of CIH is lost on your dimensions.

post #35 of 697 Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that I put it in numbers I think so too. Thanks!
post #36 of 697 Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

So where is this unit available for $1799?

Jason

I just got one from the same Ebay seller. Seems to get one a week or so and always in black instead of white. PM me and I will give you the seller's info so you can watch for it.

post #37 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
HC5 versus RS46, both at same price.
2D is important, 3D not so.
Only BD movies and HDTV.
Both are 2-year warranty.
Ins? Outs?
post #38 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

HC5 versus RS46, both at same price.
2D is important, 3D not so.
Only BD movies and HDTV.
Both are 2-year warranty.
Ins? Outs?

Each has it own strengths. Both have high native contrast, the RS46 has roughly 10000:1 more. The Mitsubishi has it's strength in motion with and without frame interpolation engaged. With movies and HDTV content you probably won't notice this strength compared to a person who plays games or watches sports but it is noticeably better with that type of content. Sharpness has the opportunity to be equal as long as both units have good convergence. Both use a very decent lens. But YMMV on a unit to unit basis. JVC has a good track record for decently converged units. I would imagine, to cut costs, the Mitsubishi has slightly less strict quality control but that's just my opinion. Both have roughly equal brightness. The Mitsubishi will probably do 3D a little cleaner due to the use of Sony LCOS panels.

If prices on either were the same, in your specific situation, I'd go with the JVC as I think for strict movies and tv shows it will probably suit your needs slightly better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #39 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If he will not be calibrating the projector (gamma issues), I might say go with the Mitsubishi instead, though not sure if the gamma on the RS-46 is as bad as it is on the RS-45.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #40 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 394
The RS46 is relatively easy to calibrate, I didn't see any major issues with calibrating the gamma.

RS46-cal.jpg

RS46-cal1.jpg

Saturation dE's are relatively low. it can be tightened up with the mini 3D, but it's not really necessary. I'm curious to see some calibration results on the HC5.

RS46-cal3.jpg
post #41 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow that is a heck of a big difference compared to my RS-45...

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #42 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The RS46 is relatively easy to calibrate, I didn't see any major issues with calibrating the gamma.

RS46-cal.jpg

RS46-cal1.jpg

Saturation dE's are relatively low. it can be tightened up with the mini 3D, but it's not really necessary. I'm curious to see some calibration results on the HC5.

RS46-cal3.jpg

Looks very good. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #43 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I should say though my RS-45 calibrated a lot better on the new lamp, but the gamma was still FAR off initially until I calibrated it. Gamma 2.5 preset was 2.2 backwards s-curve like before.

post #44 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

it still needs help, but was easy to fix. The only model i've seen that is nearly dead on out of the box is the HW50. I've seen quite a few copies and it's near perfect every time. Same thing with the color space, very good out of the box w/. minor saturation dE's.

I like that the JVC allows for RGB changes to the gamma points, it makes nailing 10 -30 IRE easy when it tracks outside of the offset and gain settings.

Are there any good calibration reports on the HC9000 or HC5?
post #45 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure there is somewhere.

When I calibrate, I refuse to lose contrast or too many lumens, that's what makes it harder on the JVC. If you raise the offsets, you lose native on/off and intrascene contrast. When I had a dimmed lamp, it would take me a while to fight the calibration, I wasn't able to go by the book, I had to get creative due to luminance issues, and the gamma response (especially after the lamp dimmed). I fought that sucker all the way until it exploded smile.gif

post #46 of 697 Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to mention you have to re-calibrate the gamma at first way too much, which is why it takes so long. I've actually had the gamma drift on me in the same calibration due to lamp issues. Though I am speaking about the Rs-45, not the RS-46. Gamma drift was annoying, but more annoying was the yellow tint to certain scenes if you did a "by the book" calibration (with my lamp anyhow). Every JVC is going to calibrate differently due to the excessive lamp changes early on, I know my graphs at 300 hours when I first calibrated the RS-45 did not necessarily look the same as the next person's graphs, though there were similarities (blue luminance being off, etc...).

I still love the JVC, but the fact the lamp exploded everywhere instead of just dying is a bit of a bummer. The image is great, if you spend the time to do a very meticulous calibration.

post #47 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got shipping confirmation on my HC5. I am kind of let down in that the seller did not answer my email to try to overnight the PJ until after he'd already shipped it regular UPS from the west coast, although I can't complain, he did ship it out the next day. Looks like I will get it next Tuesday. Looking to bend my schedule to get as much quality time Tuesday evening as possible!

I am currently planning this HC5 for 2D Viewing and will try out the 3D as well as soon as I get an emitter. If I can live with the 3D, I'll be a one PJ owner, if not, I will hang on to my DLP for 3D only. Anyone know if another emitter will work other than the Mitsubishi one? I seem t recall that maybe the Monster RF emitter will work with the HC9000?

I'll try to post what I can as soon as I can.

post #48 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought the Monstervision RF emitter and glasses. They should work fine with HC5.
post #49 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Just got shipping confirmation on my HC5. I am kind of let down in that the seller did not answer my email to try to overnight the PJ until after he'd already shipped it regular UPS from the west coast, although I can't complain, he did ship it out the next day. Looks like I will get it next Tuesday. Looking to bend my schedule to get as much quality time Tuesday evening as possible!

I am currently planning this HC5 for 2D Viewing and will try out the 3D as well as soon as I get an emitter. If I can live with the 3D, I'll be a one PJ owner, if not, I will hang on to my DLP for 3D only. Anyone know if another emitter will work other than the Mitsubishi one? I seem t recall that maybe the Monster RF emitter will work with the HC9000?

I'll try to post what I can as soon as I can.

Seeing how I had to return my HC-5, I do have a brand new Mitsubishi emitter (and two sets of XPand 103 glasses). If you're interested let me know and I can open up a classified ad in the forums here.

post #50 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seeing as you got rid of Mitsubishi and not JVC, you must've preferred JVC then?
post #51 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, I think he preferred the Mits over the JVC. I don't think he kept the JVC.
He likes DLP the best though.

The Mits is a heck of a deal at that price, given the relatively similar blacks of the JVC, and knowing what I know now with the failing lamps, I'd surely grab up those Mits hc5's as fast as I can.
Though my JVC has such good convergence, it'd be hard to beat it or even tie my projector in that area, but the Mits is particularly strong in this area as well (still partly luck).

So good luck folks!

post #52 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seeing as you got rid of Mitsubishi and not JVC, you must've preferred JVC then?

As coderguy said, I am not sure that is the case. But, I will tell you I certainly gnashed my teeth over the JVC, but given the price of the RS-45 B-stock, I decided to not go for it due to the lamp tunnel issue and the possible magenta stripe. I actually WANTED the JVC, but thank goodness for AVS....

This Mits may be Sh**t but at least I knew everything going in thanks to user reports.

If I can get the 2D performance out of it, I will be a happy camper. More and more I am thinking that keeping the Optoma HD3300 for 3D is the best solution anyway. given what I paid, I may still try to get a Sharp 30K for 3D or stay with the Optoma.

This hobby is like the famiglia in the Godfather. When you think you are out, it sucks you back in..... smile.gif

post #53 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

This hobby is like the familingia in the Godfather. When you think you are out, it sucks you back in..... smile.gif

Here Here, I am so drawn into this hobby (and the discussions in the forums), that I am probably building software I will never make much money from (spending more time than I should), the hobby has drawn me in to wanting to build cool tools. It's a disease to where the only cure is death smile.gif

I am not sure what makes it so fun, obviously the devices themselves are marvels of technology, I mean much cooler than a TV IMO, but more than that the whole hobby is just so many things to make it better and better. Another thing that makes it neat is it's always changing, it's sort of like how PC's were back in the 1990's to early 2000's (always changing fast).

post #54 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, as nice as the HC-5 was I really like a good DLP projector even more. The value in the HC-5 at it's price point is amazing. If I had to choose an LCOS projector in the lower price range I would choose it over the JVC in most situations. I just sent the HC-5 back this afternoon but I took a quick shot of it plus what I get to play around with this weekend. I put a DVD jewel case on the NuVision P2 to show how large some of these projectors are.

The Planar PD8150 is mounted so I couldn't include it in the picture. I played around with the Sharp this afternoon. What an awesome projector. As long as you pair it with a high gain screen the amount of contrast in the image looks superb.

post #55 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Seegs,

I wish you would have offered up the HC5 here before sending back (unless it was defective), then again I'd probably take that Sharp off your hands as well. biggrin.gif

Jason
post #56 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I played around with the Sharp this afternoon. What an awesome projector. As long as you pair it with a high gain screen the amount of contrast in the image looks superb.

What's the situation with 24 frame support? was this a firmware issue that never got resolved?
post #57 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

What's the situation with 24 frame support? was this a firmware issue that never got resolved?

I never got a chance to look but I don't think this unit has the latest firmware installed. When I get home tonight I'll double check. I've been using MarVR and their "24p at 60hz" motion interpolation so it isn't a big deal to me if it doesn't support it properly. Despite some reports with people having some issues with the MadVR processing, I see no issues and the results seem perfect to me.

post #58 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Seegs,

Are you trying all these projectors just for fun, or are you looking for something particular. Since I know you're hard-core on the DLP look (np), then you probably know none of these others are going to please you?
You've gone through as many projectors as Zombie probably, but the big difference is you wheeled and deal'd your way through it.

You did it the hard way, wow that is a lot of work.

post #59 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I never got a chance to look but I don't think this unit has the latest firmware installed. When I get home tonight I'll double check. I've been using MarVR and their "24p at 60hz" motion interpolation so it isn't a big deal to me if it doesn't support it properly. Despite some reports with people having some issues with the MadVR processing, I see no issues and the results seem perfect to me.

If the 20k came out in late 2006, it was probably in dev since 2005. I could see at that time missing 24 frame content... what was really out at that time in 24 frames? HDTV sources were quite scarce until HD-DVD and BD came out. I remember being an early adopter and buying every HD-DVD and BD I could find, there weren't that many at first.

so is this all of the .95 panel single DLP's or are there more you haven't seen? Is it time to graduate to expensive 3 Panel models? biggrin.gif
post #60 of 697 Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I do it for a couple reasons. I find it a lot of fun to see as many projectors as possible, but I also do it because when I'm recommending a projector to someone I want to know that what I'm saying is coming from experience and not from what I've seen someone else say. Though occasionally I do break my own rule. I think I started buying all of these projectors because I wanted to know for myself which technology I liked the best and which manufacturer/specific projector was the best at it. I have to say that after owning 4 LCOS (plus getting a long look at the Sony HW50ES), 4 LCD, and 13 DLP I think that I have a good idea what each technology offers. I think that because I've owned so many it's only pushed me towards DLP even further. Yes, JVC and Sony make fantastic LCOS projectors, but for me, I just can't help but like DLP when it's done right even more.

Zombie, I had previously posted that I bought a Samsung SP-A900B on ebay and I don't know if I ever posted the story about that projector. It turns out it was listed incorrectly on ebay and I actually received a Samsung SP-A800B. Off the top of my head, other than a couple uber expensive Sim2 projectors, the Samsung is the only other DLP I REALLY want to check out. If I ever get the chance to demo a JVC with eshift that'd be cool too. I think other than that, there isn't anything in my price range, even used, that I could afford. Being 23 has it's limitations financially. I'm looking to buy my first home within the next year or two so I need to start saving hardcore for a down payment. I'm sure there will be a few more purchases here and there but I've seen almost everything I've wanted to see and I'm really happy with what I have.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Brand , Mitsubishi Electronics America , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page