post #91 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

My HC5 arrived last week and is definately a keeper for my setup. Seems to be representative of most reports here - and I will echo, it is BIG compared to my old RS10.

In its optimal hipower screen location

Your room looks great. You're not kidding about 'Optimal' for the HP, can't get better than that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Welcome to the club GoCaboNow. I haven't been posting since I got mine due to a full week of business travel, a trip for the long Holiday weekend and watching my HC5.

But, I will say that I love this PJ on 2D material enough that it has 100 hours or so on it already, in about 20 days of use. I finally got it dialed in on Saturday and I will tell you it even gets better with a calibration. Here's hoping I get many and many hours out of it!

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #93 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Your room looks great. You're not kidding about 'Optimal' for the HP, can't get better than that!

Thank you.

This thing is so big I had to redo the slot the pj sits in the bar. Some framing, and even re-upholstering the fabric panels on the bar because those had to be cut down to make a bigger opening. Sheesh. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Welcome to the club GoCaboNow. I haven't been posting since I got mine due to a full week of business travel, a trip for the long Holiday weekend and watching my HC5.

But, I will say that I love this PJ on 2D material enough that it has 100 hours or so on it already, in about 20 days of use. I finally got it dialed in on Saturday and I will tell you it even gets better with a calibration. Here's hoping I get many and many hours out of it!

That is great to hear!

I just did a basic Disney WOW disk calibration for brightness, contrast etc, but the biggest thing was the iris setting. Originally, I had at 15 but it gave me too much bright corners and other uniformity issues. Then I remembered Kraines 9000 review and other comments here and dropped it down to 9 for basic bluray viewing - and amazing the difference. Really like the pic it throws. Going back and checking various movies in my catalog I use for reference material. Prometheus was jaw dropping. Blacks aren't quite as good as my RS10, but the rest of the pq more than makes up for it.

Can you go into more detail on your calibration process?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #94 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank you.

This thing is so big I had to redo the slot the pj sits in the bar. Some framing, and even re-upholstering the fabric panels on the bar because those had to be cut down to make a bigger opening. Sheesh. tongue.gif
That is great to hear!

I just did a basic Disney WOW disk calibration for brightness, contrast etc, but the biggest thing was the iris setting. Originally, I had at 15 but it gave me too much bright corners and other uniformity issues. Then I remembered Kraines 9000 review and other comments here and dropped it down to 9 for basic bluray viewing - and amazing the difference. Really like the pic it throws. Going back and checking various movies in my catalog I use for reference material. Prometheus was jaw dropping. Blacks aren't quite as good as my RS10, but the rest of the pq more than makes up for it.

Can you go into more detail on your calibration process?

Congrats. This thing looks massive. Hopefully the frame is used to hold a nice big lens. How big is the size of your HP?
post #95 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad View Post

Congrats. This thing looks massive. Hopefully the frame is used to hold a nice big lens. How big is the size of your HP?

Thanks!

133" 16x9. Though I mask and mostly use it as a 116" wide scope screen. For 16x9 content I drop the screen lower for constant image area the same as the scope area and then mask the sides.

post #96 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
GoCaboNow,

I seem to recall you being a local (Portland OR area) and that Kevin (krasmuzik) and I had some discussion of your room many years ago.

I would be happy to offer you a pro-level calibration on the HC5 for less than half the standard ISF rate once you have some hours on the lamp (if you are interested).

Jason
post #97 of 697 Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

GoCaboNow,

I seem to recall you being a local (Portland OR area) and that Kevin (krasmuzik) and I had some discussion of your room many years ago.

I would be happy to offer you a pro-level calibration on the HC5 for less than half the standard ISF rate once you have some hours on the lamp (if you are interested).

Jason

Thanks Jason, can you PM me the $ info and I can keep handy?

post #98 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Congrats with the new projector, GoCaboNow. My PJ is already approaching 200 hours mark and now it's time for serious calibration. I recently purchased EODIS3 (i1 Display Pro) and profiled it against i1 Pro spectrophotometer so I think I'm set. Now there are a few quarrels I currently have with this projector:
1) I use RGB 0-255 range for pixel format and in order for the projector to work in that format I have to set input manually: RGB and Enhanced. Auto detection doesn't work. Also every time I turn on the projector I have to re-select Enhanced (by de-selecting it first) otherwise the levels are incorrect.
2) There're too few useful gamma presets. What do we need 2.0 and 2.1 for ?? Also, cinema and 2.2 are practically the same. 3D can be useful though. But my quarrel isn't with presets. It's the custom gamma settings. Basically, it's useless. Why? You can't measure correct luminance readings because of the damn window. The window itself illuminates the screen and gives incorrect information about current IRE luminance. And calibrating by eye is even more pointless. Furthermore, there are 4 gamma ramps: W, R, G, B. W stands for 'white' and by design altering it shouldn't mess with color balance... but it does.

Otherwise I'm very happy with this projector.
post #99 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

How's convergence and geometry on your unit? I find the larger the screen the higher the lens quality requirement.
post #100 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've already posted info and pictures of my unit's convergence. It's good, Coderguy rated it A- biggrin.gif
post #101 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

2) There're too few useful gamma presets. What do we need 2.0 and 2.1 for ?? Also, cinema and 2.2 are practically the same. 3D can be useful though. But my quarrel isn't with presets. It's the custom gamma settings. Basically, it's useless. Why? You can't measure correct luminance readings because of the damn window. The window itself illuminates the screen and gives incorrect information about current IRE luminance. And calibrating by eye is even more pointless. Furthermore, there are 4 gamma ramps: W, R, G, B. W stands for 'white' and by design altering it shouldn't mess with color balance... but it does.

Can you expand on this? Are you forced to use some kind of overlay when calibration the gamma?

How does the gamma track with the built in settings?

The HC5 will be here on Thursday. Can't wait to give it a run with the RS55.
post #102 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How's convergence and geometry on your unit? I find the larger the screen the higher the lens quality requirement.

I am very happy with mine and is better than my JVC. First thing I checked when I first powered it up. biggrin.gif

post #103 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HC5 will be here on Thursday. Can't wait to give it a run with the RS55.

C'mon, you are supposed to be comparing it to OTHER $2000 and under units. Not $5500 ones? tongue.gif

JK, looking forward to your opinions.

post #104 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

C'mon, you are supposed to be comparing it to OTHER $2000 and under units. Not $5500 ones? tongue.gif

JK, looking forward to your opinions.

There's been some real bargains on the RS55/X70 model recently. With e-shift turned off, the overall PQ is basically the same as the ~$2500 RS46/X35.

I have a friend's X35 i'm calibrating this week, so I'll be able to compare the 2 of those as well.

curious to hear back from Elix regarding the gamma calibration. There is much be gained by a good gamma cal depending on how far off it is from the factory.
post #105 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's been some real bargains on the RS55/X70 model recently. With e-shift turned off, the overall PQ is basically the same as the ~$2500 RS46/X35.

I have a friend's X35 i'm calibrating this week, so I'll be able to compare the 2 of those as well.

curious to hear back from Elix regarding the gamma calibration. There is much be gained by a good gamma cal depending on how far off it is from the factory.

Yes, I think price wise that is a very good comparison, especially with the AVS b-stock RS45's being even cheaper.

I am expecting you guys to do the heavy lifting on Gamma cal so I can follow your process in a few hundred hours as well. cool.gif

Also, check the darbee when the HC5 shows up? With the RS10 I would run pretty high at 50-60%. Hidef for HDTV and DVD, Gaming for Bluray and Full pop for most high quality animation. I am backed off to 40% with the HC5 as there was more noise higher up.

I normally sit in the front row, about 10.5' from my 133" screen, for critical viewing. I would expect eshift to benefit me, but demoing the 4810 this year and RS55 last year, I just did not see it at the dealers showroom. I could see improved motion but the benefit of eshift, or even the better blacks of the 48 and 55 over my 10, just didn't seem apparent at the dealer. Funny thing is in MY room I can see the difference in blacks between the roughly 20k to 1 HC5 and 30k to 1 RS10. The dealers dedicated rooms were not as blacked out and non reflective as mine, and so harder to see the black difference. And their 120" 16x9 screen and 14' first row does not really show eshift. I kind of figured this, but the leap of faith to double the price of the HC5 to go to the 4810...plus am a little PO'd at JVC for lack of support on the pink stripe issue so am punting and will enjoy my HC5 for a few years and see what happens?

post #106 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Furthermore, there are 4 gamma ramps: W, R, G, B. W stands for 'white' and by design altering it shouldn't mess with color balance... but it does.

Otherwise I'm very happy with this projector.

As you probably know, with most projectors, you have to keep going back and forth anyways between Grayscale patterns, Gamma Settings, and Gamut patterns (more so on grayscale - gamut), so I don't see this as anything more than a minor inconvenience to be honest.

Yes it is more tedious, but that's often what we are forced into anyways when calibrating many of these projectors. Just be glad it has individual gamma point adjustments at all, heck some projectors don't even have that and you do it purely by gray-scale controls and one master GAMMA whitepoint (which is a pain). In this latter case, you end up going back and forth a lot, but it still works (well within the boundary limits of the gamma error anyhow).

From my understanding of this issue, it is common on many projectors. The W or white point gamma is really nothing more than combing all three at once - RGB, because after all white is all the colors combined on the spectrum.

The problem is our gray-scale is usually not perfect across the entire IRE range (or rarely at this point in the calibration). With an imperfect gray-scale, the white-point adjustment becomes non-linear in some cases (hence like adjusting each RGB as a percentage individually instead of bumping them up equally individually). Another way of thinking about it is, you are sort of moving the error that existed at 10 IRE to 20 IRE (or vice versa) as you adjust the gamma by using the global whitepoint (just for explanation purposes), so unless your gray-scale is perfect across the entire IRE range, then moving whitepoint isn't totally abnormal to also cause it to mess up gray-scale readings. I know some projectors don't do it as much, but I bet it's because they are using some firmware code to compensate the error as the whitepoint is adjusted (hard to explain).

You just rinse and repeat all the different steps until you get as close as you can, that's how it almost always ends up. Only a couple projectors, like the Sony's or Benq w1070 are so freaking close or simple to calibrate that we don't even have to go back and forth very often.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #107 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I've already posted info and pictures of my unit's convergence. It's good, Coderguy rated it A- biggrin.gif

Elix, that Q was meant for Cabo (I didn't make that clear). I saw your post in the other thread, but your screen is only 80" if I remember. Here in US we like big things ):
post #108 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I am very happy with mine and is better than my JVC. First thing I checked when I first powered it up. biggrin.gif

And for the price you paid that makes it even sweeter ):
post #109 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Elix, that Q was meant for Cabo (I didn't make that clear). I saw your post in the other thread, but your screen is only 80" if I remember. Here in US we like big things ):

My 142" 16:9 is a magnifying glass for exposing uneven focus uniformity. I'll let you guys know how this sample arriving on Thursday fairs on this size screen. Just like all the other projectors though, it's going to vary between each copy.

My RS55 is perfect in this regard and use it for a reference when checking other projectors with a split source.
post #110 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:

My 142" 16:9 is a magnifying glass for exposing uneven focus uniformity. I'll let you guys know how this sample arriving on Thursday fairs on this size screen. Just like all the other projectors though, it's going to vary between each copy.

My RS55 is perfect in this regard and use it for a reference when checking other projectors with a split source.

Look forward to it. My 159" HP is even worse in that regard - though I'd never part with it.
post #111 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I took the plunge and ordered a HC5 yesterday. I am looking forward to it, but I haven't set up a really fancy projector like this one before, so I hope some of the knowledgeable guys around here can give me some tips. I spent more than I should have on the projector, so I can't afford any expensive calibration equipment at the moment. Is there methods for doing this inexpensively, outside of just eye-balling it? Any advice on setting this projector up would be greatly appreciated!

Here is some info about my setup: Screen size is 125", distance from viewing position is about 12', distance from projector is about 15'. Screen is a DIY Wilsonart designer white laminate, I believe the gain on this was measured at roughly 1.1. Screen Room is pretty tightly light controlled, not much ambient light.
post #112 of 697 Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I took the plunge and ordered a HC5 yesterday. I am looking forward to it, but I haven't set up a really fancy projector like this one before, so I hope some of the knowledgeable guys around here can give me some tips. I spent more than I should have on the projector, so I can't afford any expensive calibration equipment at the moment. Is there methods for doing this inexpensively, outside of just eye-balling it? Any advice on setting this projector up would be greatly appreciated!

Here is some info about my setup: Screen size is 125", distance from viewing position is about 12', distance from projector is about 15'. Screen is a DIY Wilsonart designer white laminate, I believe the gain on this was measured at roughly 1.1. Screen Room is pretty tightly light controlled, not much ambient light.

Honestly I think if you paid under $3K for this unit its a steal (which im sure you did considering current pricing) biggrin.gif I am still extremely happy with mine. This is the first projector ive had (and ive had many) where I am truly, %100, purely satisfied. cool.gif Also cant help but smile when I think about how much I paid for it.
post #113 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My projector broke down today. Power LED just isn't glowing. I guess the power supply went down...
post #114 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Man, that really sux...
Sorry to hear that...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #115 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My projector broke down today. Power LED just isn't glowing. I guess the power supply went down...

OK, that scares me. Please let us know if you have any luck with Mitsubishi.

Also, I will try to help you out if you want someone in the US to do something. (It was a US model, right?)

post #116 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it's a US model. The thing is, this model isn't supported in Russia (because it's not distributed here). First I'm gonna call Mitsubishi service center and find out if they give support for this model. If they refuse I'll have to either ship it back to USA or manage by myself somehow. This morning the power LED was glowing and in the evening it isn't. No power surges occured afaik. Damn, I should've bought on-line UPS beforehand. Or maybe that was inevitable. There were several reports of faulty power supply on HC9000 before. I thought they fixed it in the HC9000D revision (and HC5 also). I suppose the risk was still there. But don't let this stop you from making a purchase of this fine projector.

Also, thanks for willing to help.
post #117 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it's a US model. The thing is, this model isn't supported in Russia (because it's not distributed here). First I'm gonna call Mitsubishi service center and find out if they give support for this model. If they refuse I'll have to either ship it back to USA or manage by myself somehow. This morning the power LED was glowing and in the evening it isn't. No power surges occured afaik. Damn, I should've bought on-line UPS beforehand. Or maybe that was inevitable. There were several reports of faulty power supply on HC9000 before. I thought they fixed it in the HC9000D revision (and HC5 also). I suppose the risk was still there. But don't let this stop you from making a purchase of this fine projector.

Also, thanks for willing to help.

I am with you. I love mine and was sure the power supply issue was fixed. If I can help you as an intermediate shipper, etc, let me know.

post #118 of 697 Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, step out of the office for a few hours and all heck breaks loose. Sorry to hear Elix!

post #119 of 697 Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Zombie...Seeing it's Thursday I was wondering if your HC5 came today. If so, have you had a chance to fire it up?

I'm looking to replace my W7000 and very curious what you think of it.

Thanks, Bill

post #120 of 697 Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

Zombie...Seeing it's Thursday I was wondering if your HC5 came today. If so, have you had a chance to fire it up?
I'm looking to replace my W7000 and very curious what you think of it.

Thanks, Bill

check the shootout thread, I'll be posting info in there. it's going to take a few days to go over it, i'm starting with a grayscale / gamma calibration to check out some 2D tonight.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Brand , Mitsubishi Electronics America , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page