What to look for in JVC RS4x models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I own an RS40 that has seen it's share of bad bulbs, non-starts, freezes, HDMI bad handshakes, and bad system board. Luckily it was all fixed under warranty and now seems to be trouble free and hopefully my 003 bulb with the flapper will give me close to 1500 hours. It now has close to 900 hours and seems plenty bright.

I have in 30 day trial a BenQ W1080ST short throw projector that I have placed in the living room where the RS40 used to be. The RS40 is now in my light controlled video room. Although the Benq is a fine projector for around $1K I have found that it is substantially inferior in picture quality to the JVC, mostly in the contrast of course, but also in overall picture smoothness and quality. As a result the BenQ is going back and I have decided to look for a JVC RS4x model to put in the living room again. The thing is to heavy to haul back and forth between the two rooms.

As I hunt for the right RS solution I was wondering if anyone can summarize the three models that are in my price range, RS40, RS45, and RS46, as far as problems go. I have read much of the 45 thread and it seems to have the same problems that my 40 had. The 46 is not so clear. Also, were there any significant improvements made to the 46 that would motivate me to go another $1K over the 40 or 45?

I appreciate any information or advice.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Although the Benq is a fine projector for around $1K I have found that it is substantially inferior in picture quality to the JVC, mostly in the contrast of course, but also in overall picture smoothness and quality. As a result the BenQ is going back and I have decided to look for a JVC RS4x model to put in the living room again. The thing is to heavy to haul back and forth between the two rooms.

As I hunt for the right RS solution I was wondering if anyone can summarize the three models that are in my price range, RS40, RS45, and RS46, as far as problems go. I have read much of the 45 thread and it seems to have the same problems that my 40 had. The 46 is not so clear. Also, were there any significant improvements made to the 46 that would motivate me to go another $1K over the 40 or 45?

I wholeheartedly agree, Benq makes some great low-cost projectors, but they don't compare to a JVC. The JVC is my favorite overall projector of the 15+ I've owned. It's impossible to know if the RS-46 or RS-45 are more reliable than the RS-40's, perhaps but I doubt there is that much difference, though the RS-46 supposedly has better bulbs.

I just made it to 1,500 hours on my RS-45 on a Series 2 lamp (the same type of lamp people were having issues on their RS-40's from my understanding), so just goes to show you, you never know. Yes my bulb has dimmed a lot, but with the HP screen it is ok for now. I can perhaps get 3000 hours (who knows), we shall see.

I would buy the RS-46 probably if they are all about the same cost, but I think any of the three will do, you get a different bulb now-a-days anyhow sometimes (depending what you buy and MFR date). Though the RS-46 uses an entirely different bulb anyhow from my understanding.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I own an RS40 that has seen it's share of bad bulbs, non-starts, freezes, HDMI bad handshakes, and bad system board. Luckily it was all fixed under warranty and now seems to be trouble free and hopefully my 003 bulb with the flapper will give me close to 1500 hours. It now has close to 900 hours and seems plenty bright.

I have in 30 day trial a BenQ W1080ST short throw projector that I have placed in the living room where the RS40 used to be. The RS40 is now in my light controlled video room. Although the Benq is a fine projector for around $1K I have found that it is substantially inferior in picture quality to the JVC, mostly in the contrast of course, but also in overall picture smoothness and quality. As a result the BenQ is going back and I have decided to look for a JVC RS4x model to put in the living room again. The thing is to heavy to haul back and forth between the two rooms.

I appreciate any information or advice.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page