Used Projector Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Due to RBE issues, I have decided that I am going to add a second PJ to my HT strictly for 2D (keeping my Optoma HD3300 for crosstalk free 3D and maybe even Sports, Video Games and other ambient light viewing) and I am going to go with something that would likely have broken the bank for me years ago but would be likely in a good place for me on the used market. Right now I am looking at LCoS due to my love of black levels, but I have also had a few LCD models in the past and would look at a Panny or Epson UB model.

Please help me by chiming in with recommendations in the $1500 (used) range on 2-3 year old technology for use in 2D Darkened Theater viewing only.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
JVC B-Stock HD-250 or B-stock RS-40/Rs-45 from AVS if they still have any in stock, or a used JVC RS-40/RS-45 on ebay/videogon or in this forum, though they generally go a tad more over $1,500, but if you're looking for an LCOS with the best blacks, JVC no question.

You can get a used RS-40 and maybe RS-45 in that price range if you keep your eyes peeled, the B-stocks were just above that price. You'll find it easier if you stretch that budget to 2k though.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 28 Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

$2K is not out of the question, but (and I may be in the minority here) I am one of those "bang for the buck" buyers who feels anyone can lay out the dough and get a killer piece of equipment, and I kind of get a bad feeling paying over $2K for a projector unless it can give me at least as good a 3D image as the under $2K Optoma. That being said, if I could get 3D as good and bright as the Optoma, I would likely be willing to spend up to $2500-$3000 and sell my Optoma with its 4 pairs of RF glasses for enough to be in that under $2K range.

However, based on everything I read here, I may not be able get equivalent 3D when it comes to crosstalk, ghosting and brightness in a projector that also knocks my socks off in 2D- and the Optoma comes pretty darn close (again, bang for the buck here) which is why I am considering two projectors.

post #4 of 28 Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jvc hd 250 if your dead set on 1500 as top dollar,a rs45 refurb if you'll streach to around 2000.00.maybe someones used rd 46 somewhere around ther or alitte more if you keep your eyes pealed .Bang for the buck if your willing to run a 2 projector system it doesn't get any better than the JVC for 2d and I've installed quite a few projectors of most every brand;)biggrin.gif
post #5 of 28 Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I would contact AVS to see if they have any B-stock RS45's. As a fellow lover of black levels in a darkened theater room a JVC projector is what you want. Also, keep an eye on jvcprostore on eBay, its where JVC sells their refurbished projectors. They had a refurbished RS40 on there a few weeks ago for what you are willing to spend with full 2 year warranty.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #6 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
The only thing with the JVC is the pink line issue.

I have a JVC and I have the line... I just zoomed in a bit so I don't see it though smile.gif

But I still love my JVC despite the line.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
+1 on the JVCProstore. I purchased my RS1x from there. It was nice to get the full manufacturers warranty and get it for a "used" price.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
I haven't heard of any of the 40-45-46 models with the pink line issues yet but it may be to early to tell
post #9 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
This RS450 is about 30 minutes from me, I have been in contact with the owner, he seems like a straight shooter, he has it on EBay as well BiN for just shy of $1900.. New lamp he thinks it is a v3 lamp and he put 50 hours on it to make sure it was ok. I am not allowed to buy it , mad.gif but if someone here does, I would be willing to check it over for you first. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/3763463183.html
EBay listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS45-D-ILA-Projector-X-30-X30-RS45U-/281095330646?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4172965b56
post #10 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No transferable warranty though.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #11 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

I would contact AVS to see if they have any B-stock RS45's. As a fellow lover of black levels in a darkened theater room a JVC projector is what you want. Also, keep an eye on jvcprostore on eBay, its where JVC sells their refurbished projectors. They had a refurbished RS40 on there a few weeks ago for what you are willing to spend with full 2 year warranty.

Mike

I have owned several Projectors all the way back to the days of the Infocus X1, which did not last long because of RBE and I really got spoiled on black levels by an Epson 1080ub. Unfortunately, I went with the Optoma HD3300 from AVS and I am spoiled by the 3D but I am having to use a .8 high def grey screen AND an ND2 filter in 2D mode to combat RBE- not to mention missing those "UB" black levels.

I am starting to feel like the 2 projector solution is the best, because the Optoma has zero RBE issues in 3D and absolutely no ghosting or crosstalk. Looks like I am definitely on the lookout for a JVC. Looks like JVC owners tend to upgrade more than others, so seems like it will not be too long and unlike some other brands, the initial cost was high enough that you can more often find a quality seller who took care of the unit and will be upfront with you.

post #12 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

No transferable warranty though.

Couldn't the seller help the buyer with any factory warranty if the seller had a purchase receipt from an authorized dealer? confused.gif
post #13 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Get a RS45 B-stock from AVS w/ 2-year warranty; it's in your budget.

You'll never go back to LCD again.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Get a RS45 B-stock from AVS w/ 2-year warranty; it's in your budget.

You'll never go back to LCD again.

As an unabashed JVC fanboy let me say I agree totally. Hard to watch a Blu-ray on anything less after you have owned one for while.

Willie
post #15 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Couldn't the seller help the buyer with any factory warranty if the seller had a purchase receipt from an authorized dealer? confused.gif
It would have to take quite a leap of faith

You would have to to take quite a big leap of faith as a buyer.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #16 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, in an instance like that you would be relying on seller and what happens in a year if something goes wrong with projector and you try to contact seller with no response. JVC states warranties aren't transferable so if you do need warranty repair it sounds like original seller would have to initiate warranty repair(you can do it online as I currently have my RS40 being repaired) and I bet projector would have to be shipped back to him as his info would need to be used for warranty service and then you pay to have it shipped from sellers place. Not a big deal but an extra $50 or so.

Mike

post #17 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you can add a square trade warranty to used items purchased off Ebay, not sure how good those really are though (they aren't going to be nearly as good as the original MFR warranty). As far as non-transferable warranties, you wouldn't have to ship it to the original seller, he just needs to initiate the warranty repair ticket. If I were buying a used JVC, I would feel safer buying from a long-term AVS member that posts here regularly, then I would not be too worried about not getting warranty work done if something occurred. That said, if buying a used projector, I would at least buy a 1-yr Square Trade warranty minimum (but that's just me). A B-stock is your best bet, but if you cannot find a B-stock, then used can be ok. Also if you find an AVS member selling one, they will most likely be honest about convergence and that sort of thing.

If JVC fussed about different shipping / CC match, the original seller can change his CC address temporarily in the banking system if the ship-to address needs to match a shipping charge (never dealt with JVC), but I doubt you would even have to go that far with it (anyone can use any address is my guess). The only issue is signing for it from Ups or Fedex when you receive it back, however they never check that anyways as that signature only matters in case of fraud, damages, or lost items mostly.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #18 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I believe you can add a square trade warranty to used items purchased off Ebay, not sure how good those really are though (they aren't going to be nearly as good as the original MFR warranty). As far as non-transferable warranties, you wouldn't have to ship it to the original seller, he just needs to initiate the warranty repair ticket. If I were buying a used JVC, I would feel safer buying from a long-term AVS member that posts here regularly, then I would not be too worried about not getting warranty work done if something occurred. That said, if buying a used projector, I would at least buy a 1-yr Square Trade warranty minimum (but that's just me). A B-stock is your best bet, but if you cannot find a B-stock, then used can be ok. Also if you find an AVS member selling one, they will most likely be honest about convergence and that sort of thing.

If JVC fussed about different shipping / CC match, the original seller can change his CC address temporarily in the banking system if the ship-to address needs to match a shipping charge (never dealt with JVC), but I doubt you would even have to go that far with it (anyone can use any address is my guess). The only issue is signing for it from Ups or Fedex when you receive it back, however they never check that anyways as that signature only matter in case of fraud, damages, or lost items mostly.

Yeah, the only issue would be if after they repaired it if they would ship to different address. JVC uses Mendtronix for their warranty repairs so I don't see why they wouldn't. When I got my RS40 back the first time from Mendtronix, I got no warning it was on its way and UPS left it on front porch.....no signature...kinda scary. As far as buying off of eBay I would love to hear from someone who has purchased a Squaretrade warranty and how it went if they had to have warranty service.

Mike

post #19 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the only issue would be if after they repaired it if they would ship to different address.

The original seller would use their name on the new owner's (the person that bought the PJ) home address when the original seller creates the ticket for the now owner of the JVC. The now/new owner of the JVC would do the shipping, the old owner would not be involved at all except for ticket creation or verification, so the TO and FROM would be the same address but under a different name. They cannot refuse the shipment just because the address doesn't match the address of the original purchase when you bought the PJ, people move all the time and it's not their job to keep track of that. If a projector ships to a location (from UPS/Fedex) with a different name on it, it doesn't really matter. People have kids / parents / or wives that kept their original last name, so UPS/Fedex doesn't care either, so none of this "X must match X" stuff actually works very well for the MFR's.

That said, the EXCEPTION to all this could be if JVC ask's for some type of verification due to address change (but with the Original Seller's name on the new owner's address, I highly doubt they would ask anything), but that is why you need the original seller involved potentially, and he can verify anything very easily.

Disclaimer:
I am not advocating for being deceptive, so if you get questioned when doing this, it's your own decision. That is why I said I personally would buy a square trade warranty to go with it just in case they do ask questions, I would find myself having a hard time lying about it if questioned, but at the same time it's not RIGHT that warranties are non-transferable, their should be a law that forces warranties to be transferable IMHO for all consumer goods except with maybe a couple exceptions (would not apply to B2B).

Companies partly discourage warranty transfer rights in order to reduce the saturation of used products hurting their new products sales, and to reduce the number of warranty claims from shipping, but IMHO it is not a FAIR practice for the consumer, and the sales benefit they get from it is too minimal for the damage they do. What we need is a better system of shipping documentation from the shipping carriers, and a better enforced warranty policy for C2C used transactions.

post #20 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, gotcha. I understand your logic now. Doing it your way there should be no problem. I agree that all warranties should be transferable as it makes no difference if you buy something and either it doesn't work for you or you just need to sell it, it should still hold it's manufacturer's coverage. It would make it easier selling and buying used electronics/projectors but that may be why companies do it to make people buy their new units but I think more people would upgrade to newer projectors if they could sell their used projectors with buyers knowing warranty is in place thus commanding a higher price.

Mike

post #21 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I think more people would upgrade to newer projectors if they could sell their used projectors with buyers knowing warranty is in place thus commanding a higher price.

Mike

Exactly, the manufacturers over-estimate the effect it has on their new sales. Most people selling a used projector, are just going to buy a new one to replace it, and many people that would buy a used projector were never planning on buying new in the first place. Though some are pushed into it due to the warranty issues, but that is not often their first thought anyhow.

post #22 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
Does BenQ allow a Warranty transfer?

How long after you purchase the projector can you buy the SquareTrade Warranty?

Is SquareTrade's Warranty transferable?
post #23 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

How long after you purchase the projector can you buy the SquareTrade Warranty?

Is SquareTrade's Warranty transferable?

Not sure if it is still the case, but you used to have to buy after market warranties within 30 days of purchase. Most of these after market warranties are transferable for a fee.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #24 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

In looking at Benq's website and searching online it looks like their warranty is only good for original purchaser and not transferable. This quote is from an Australian Benq document and other areas around the world listed same thing so unless US is different, which I doubt, it's not transferable unless like the last line reads you can get prior consent of Benq in writing....lol wink.gif

"Your sales receipt is your proof of purchase of the Product and the warranty period commences as of the date on the receipt. This warranty extends only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable except with the express prior consent of BenQ given in writing."

Mike

post #25 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
Thanks for the help guys!
post #26 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Regarding warranty coverage on a used JVC. Perhaps I was told incorrectly but, a year ago I purchased a pj from the jvcprostore on ebay and specifically asked about warranty coverage if I decided to sell it. The reply was that the warranty would be honored as long as the new owner had a copy of the sales receipt or Bill of Lading.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post

Regarding warranty coverage on a used JVC. Perhaps I was told incorrectly but, a year ago I purchased a pj from the jvcprostore on ebay and specifically asked about warranty coverage if I decided to sell it. The reply was that the warranty would be honored as long as the new owner had a copy of the sales receipt or Bill of Lading.

Well, that's the way it should be. They should have the wording in their warranty coverage reflect this instead of saying warranty is not transferable. Of course I would follow coderguy's advice if I ever bought a used JVC from someone who bought from authorized dealer with receipt.

Mike

post #28 of 28 Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate all the input, but I have already gotten on AVS's list for the next B-Stocks they get in. I would go used, but you can't beat the JVC B-stock stuff with a two year warranty.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Projector Gear Projector Ceiling Mount For Optoma Hd3300 , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page