How are projector owners watching movies these days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So I am a little behind on this because up until a few months ago we still had an actual blockbuster nearby where I could rent blu ray discs. Then that closed. So I turned to redbox but they ar slow to get many new release and the selection is limited so I miss a lot of movies I would have otherwise rented.

What choices are there for those of us with large screen setups? I have a jvc rs40 and 100" screen at about 10 feet viewing distance.
There is an abundance of streaming services and I have seen the avs comparisons, but how do these look on that size screen? Are any of them in 1080p24?

I hate the idea of paying to rent a movie and having it look awful on the projector. Directv does have 1080p24 rentals and they look acceptable, but still limit choices.

So short of buying every blu ray that I'd want to rent, what options do I have to rent new releases at 1080p24 that will hold up to a big screen?

For reference I do have a roku and ps3 which can do streaming services. What I have seen looks only passable on my 60" tv. I believe hdx is a higher quality option but require ISP cooperation and Comcast doesn't cooperate.

Please school me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I get HDX on Vudu and MAX on Amazon on Demand with regular Comcast service (I get 15-20 Mbps down with Amazon). Vudu is the best streaming service but expensive, sometimes Amazon on Demand is second best and close to VUDU but the quality is inconsistent. Netflix is so-so, but sometimes ok. For streaming, I really like the Sony bdp bluray players (bdp-s790 is really nice).

Amazon on Demand is a good deal, but you've probably seen a lot of the movies. You can always use Mail by Disk services like Netflix and get their more expensive plans which allow multiple movies at once. There are some other Bluray-by-Mail services besides Netlfix (forgot name) and if you do both you can get 4+ movies per mailing.

Basically, when streaming first got big I think the movie industry thought it might be bad, but now they are raking it in with record profits, because they are generally charging higher % of licensing per rental. Most of the movies on Amazon or Netflix are "overly watched" movies at least 1 year old, or older movies (there are newer movies, but when I say overly watched I mean like Transformers, Thor, etc...).

Netflix still looks ok on a 100" screen from 10' back for some things, I mean you can still enjoy the movie even if the quality isn't perfect. Otherwise you can always resort to buying the Bluray Disks.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Blu ray.
post #4 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Netflix streaming doesn't cut it for me on a 60". I have amazon prime for shipping purposes but the selection is bad.

Maybe I'll give vudu hdx a shot. What would be better to use the roku or ps3? Does the roku support 7.1 as I think the ps3 does.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Can you join Netflix? Unless a movie is flat out not available on blu ray, I always rent the blu ray version (assuming I don't buy) to get the best possible quality. Sacrifcing audio and video is not worth it for the streaming convenience for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #6 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed a movie I like was available in "HD" streaming via amazon prime so I was excited because its not otherwise available in "HD"

However,..l the unconverted DVD still looks much better,... Very disappointing.

These days I find $5 blu rays everywhere so that's what I use.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Blu-ray --> HTPC --> XBMC w/ MPC-HC Custom player.

That setup is a bit rare, but it's got a beautiful interface and I can showoff the almost 1000 blu-rays I have ripped to my harddrives. It makes it much easier to browse through them and for a group of people to make a choice on what to watch. You can pull up trailers for all the movies and it loads all the information from IMDB. Much better than a plain of blu-ray player or even something like a high end Oppo. It's much more customizable and rivals the PQ an Oppo puts out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #8 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Can you join Netflix? Unless a movie is flat out not available on blu ray, I always rent the blu ray version (assuming I don't buy) to get the best possible quality. Sacrifcing audio and video is not worth it for the streaming convenience for me.

yes I could but they get their bd releases late and seem to be slow to deliver them...same reason I cancelled my BB online service unless that has changed.
I do agree Blu ray is the best option and for movies I really care about I fork over to buy them. But say I want to see Jack Reacher. Probably not a buy for me, but would like to be able to watch it in 1080p24 that can hold up to a pj. I can handle some quality loss for a situation like that. DirectV 1080p24 on demand is watchable on a pj.

So doing some looking and testing, I am getting 20megs sustained down...so enough for HDX. it also seems that the both the PS3 and the Roku 2XS can do 1080p24 with 7.1 if it is available.....is that correct?

Now the question I have is does the vudu app on the PS3 ouput in RGB since it runs from the XMB? Would the Roku be the better choice?
post #9 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

+1

I won't sacrifice quality to stream content. I've got too much invested in the video side with JVC RS40 projector, Lumagen XD video processor, Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens, Oppo BDP-93 bluray player, Darbee Darblet, Chromapure w/adv. auto-calibrate, and 2.35 screen to then stream a lesser quality source.

I use redbox and mainly Netflix for blu-rays.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #10 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

+1

I won't sacrifice quality to stream content. I've got too much invested in the video side with JVC RS40 projector, Lumagen XD video processor, Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens, Oppo BDP-93 bluray player, Darbee Darblet, Chromapure w/adv. auto-calibrate, and 2.35 screen to then stream a lesser quality source.

Mike

Yeah I hear you. How is Netflix for disc delivery? Better than blockbuster online?
post #11 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Yeah I hear you. How is Netflix for disc delivery? Better than blockbuster online?

This probably varies by location, but after trying both (I live in Denver) Netflix was quicker and more consistent for me. I say try both and see what works best for where you live. Since you have tried BB, give Netflix a shot and see how it compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

+1

Mike

Exactly. I feel the same way.

post #12 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Netflix is very quick for me and I don't even live in a major city. I am 60 miles away from the city on the envelope and almost always disc gets checked back in the next day and another sent out same day arriving the next.

Jack Reacher is Paramount and will be day/date at both Netflix and Redbox. Sure there are some titles with a 28 day or so wait(i think some studios may have extended delay but not sure) and Netflix doesn't get all the catalog blu-ray titles I wish they would get but I can't complain about much else with them. Blockbuster.com was horrible for me as it took way too long to get discs and their website is inaccurate on availability of titles(I hope they have improved). Blockbuster would get a few more catalog blu-ray titles in the past but for new release blu-rays I could get twice as many with Netflix with all things equal. Of course that is just my experience.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #13 of 42 Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I use Redbox and Netflix mail as well, but if you don't ever watch the lower quality stuff, then you don't appreciate the Bluray quality as much if you get too used to pure Blurays. The way I see it is suffer a little more for more pleasure later, no pain no gain.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #14 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Blu-ray --> HTPC --> XBMC w/ MPC-HC Custom player.

That setup is a bit rare, but it's got a beautiful interface and I can showoff the almost 1000 blu-rays I have ripped to my harddrives. It makes it much easier to browse through them and for a group of people to make a choice on what to watch. You can pull up trailers for all the movies and it loads all the information from IMDB. Much better than a plain of blu-ray player or even something like a high end Oppo. It's much more customizable and rivals the PQ an Oppo puts out.

Neat,

I have a thousand blu rays as well but I don't "rip" them. I only tend to watch one a day or maybe two so putting in the disc is no major workout.

I do have my music stored on a hard drive for similar use, but all my music (300cds) only takes up 100GB currently so its not so impractical.

If you don't mind me asking how much hard drive does a thousand blu rays take and do you back it up or run some type if Raid system?

-Brian
post #15 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I use Redbox and Netflix mail as well, but if you don't ever watch the lower quality stuff, then you don't appreciate the Bluray quality as much if you get too used to pure Blurays. The way I see it is suffer a little more for more pleasure later, no pain no gain.

I get that pain watching broadcast hd!
post #16 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I get that pain watching broadcast hd!

+1

I suffer enough watching cable on my flat panel and 20" tube in the bedroom. I deserve the good $hit in my HT. Seems a bit crazy to skimp on quality down there in light of all the time, money and effort spent on projector, screen, all the other gear, blacking out the room, calibration.

post #17 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Neat,

I have a thousand blu rays as well but I don't "rip" them. I only tend to watch one a day or maybe two so putting in the disc is no major workout.

I do have my music stored on a hard drive for similar use, but all my music (300cds) only takes up 100GB currently so its not so impractical.

If you don't mind me asking how much hard drive does a thousand blu rays take and do you back it up or run some type if Raid system?

-Brian

I have to 'rip' all my BD's because they will get destroyed in my house based on experience with cheap DVD's. I store all my movies on a 18 TB file server. it's a RAID 6 with a hot spare.

I typically convert the BD's to only include the main movie + primary HD audio track and strip out the rest. it saves quite a bit of space per movie and doesn't affect the PQ or Audio quality in any way.

fileserver.jpg

I have several Mediator devices throughout the house (top device, looks like a small George Forman Grill), they are great at quick, random access playback of my 2D and 3D blurays. it's easy enough for non-techs to use.

mediator.jpg
post #18 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I have Apple TV but stream from it rarely (for movies anyway).

I watch Blu-Rays almost exclusively. I tend to buy either on line or locally. It's a bummer that almost every physical store has closed. Though nearby stores like Blockbuster and Rogers (canada) had lots of crap, they were very convenient to getting a physical rental copy of the latest hit movie. The nearest mom 'n' pop video rental store to us just shut down too.

Fortunately I live near down town and close enough to a truly great viideo store with just about every title available for rent or purchase. It's a real enthusiasts store. Though, I tend to buy my blu-rays.

I never got into the netflix-type through the mail system. I'm too impatient and fickle. When I want to watch a certain movie I want to watch it tonight, not some time next week or whatever.
(And then I hear of these super long waits for certain titles...no thanks).
post #19 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I use a little bit of everything, and I find it's a really good "system" even if I didn't really plan it out that way. I guess it's sort of a tiered approach.

For movies that are really good, that I really want, I just buy the Blu-ray.
For pretty much all other new releases I get the disc from Netflix. The wait sort of sucks, but if I didn't go to the theater to see it, and wasn't interested enough to buy it, a wait (28 days or whatever) isn't that bad, and as for delivery, netflix is pretty awesome.
Beyond that I use Netflix or Amazon instant streaming. I find the quality pretty good for the most part, but I generally only use those for catching up on TV, or maybe the occasional movie I don't have and want to watch on the fly..

I haven't really been able to swallow PPV downloads.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #20 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The top movies will be exclusively blu-ray, especially when it comes to reference video and audio quality movies such as Skyfall.

I've a 3TB NAS hooked up to my Mede8er media player but I've quickly run out of space and need more storage. With 3D blu's coming in at 50GB per movie, it doesn't take long using up storage. I'll wait and see what happens with 4k before reviewing my storage system again. I will watch some satellite HD movies and while PQ isn't up to blu-ray, e-shift on my JVC helps out here and it still looks pretty good - less 'digital' than my previous projectors, but no HD audio with satellite.

Over here in the UK, our main satellite provider Sky is getting behind 4k - rumoured to have a 4k channel up and running next year. Watching with interest now to see how Sony price their new PJ range later in the year.
post #21 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I have to 'rip' all my BD's because they will get destroyed in my house based on experience with cheap DVD's. I store all my movies on a 18 TB file server. it's a RAID 6 with a hot spare.
Zombie, what HDDs do you primarily use? I bought some cheap 3TB WD Caviar Green but now one of them is failing.
post #22 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Zombie, what HDDs do you primarily use? I bought some cheap 3TB WD Caviar Green but now one of them is failing.

I've been using the 3TB WD Red drives with good luck so far. My original server was running 8 (1TB) green drives for about 2 years then I started having drives fail so it was time to upgrade. That case has 2 120MM fans blowing across the drives so they run at ambient temperate all the time. I figure it can't hurt to keep them cool.
post #23 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If its a movie I will keep, then bluray all the way. But I find that Vudu HDX is almost as satisfying. If the audio is presented in Dolby Digital Plus, then it is at least in the ballpark of bluray; but if it is in regular dolby digital, you will be underwhelmed. Still, most times, I am going for the Vudu HDX stream. Certainly, I am choosing that over going to a redbox. I have Netflix and agree with others that the streaming can vary dramatically from title to title. I have a JVC RS1x and a 120" screen for reference.
post #24 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I use Netflix and rent Blu-ray. Or I buy Blu-ray. DVD in a pinch. Never EVER do streaming. I sit 10 to 16 feet back from a 10' wide 16:9 screen. DVDs are OK from the 16' row... not from the 10' row.
post #25 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Rip my Blu-rays to mkv and store them on a Synology. Playback is through a Mede8er 600X3D, or XMBC on a PC using MPC-HC, or an Oppo 103.
post #26 of 42 Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched Fringe streamed with Amazon on Demand and it was about the same quality as VUDU HDX, though like Netflix, Amazon is inconsistent (but Amazon at its best seems better than Netflix at its best). BTW, the Sony s790 is the best streaming device I've seen, I cannot get my HTPC to match it, not sure why. It is almost like the AOD service goes into a higher res on the Sony than on my HTPC. I love the Sony bluray player.

I am with you guys though overall, if I can get the Bluray, most of the time I will. I just hate waiting on the mail. I am too busy holding down two jobs now, I haven't even watched a movie in 2 weeks. My new PJ calc is literally a second job 30-40 hours per week.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I have several Mediator devices throughout the house (top device, looks like a small George Forman Grill), they are great at quick, random access playback of my 2D and 3D blurays. it's easy enough for non-techs to use.

mediator.jpg
What's this--I've not been able to find it.
post #28 of 42 Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

What's this--I've not been able to find it.

Hi, it's the Mede8er MED1000X3D, they can be purchased in the US from this site.

http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/mede8er.html

The main difference between the 1000x and 600x is the 1000x can hold an internal HD for portability and the 600x is smaller, network only device. I have both models, they share the same firmware.
post #29 of 42 Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Mede8er 600 with 2 4Tb external hd's. moved from an oppo 93 (which I still use if I'm lazy and haven't put the movie on the hard drive yet.) But the mede8er is way more fun because of jukebox.
post #30 of 42 Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Neat,

-Brian

I currently have have just over 25 TB of space and almost all of it is taken up! eek.gif What I have is a VERY cheap setup to house them though. I have 6 drives in my desktop and then 2 Sans Digital 8-Bay Raid Towers to store the rest of the drives. I run the drives in a JBOD configuration instead of running them in Raid as that takes up space and I want to conserve as much as possible so JBOS it is tongue.gif . Those towers are cheap and work wonderfully. All you need to do is pop in the supplied esata card onto your motherboard connect the cables and you're all set to go. Windows recognizes each harddrive as a local drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page