AVS Forum banner

Out of warranty JVC repair

Tags
jvc
6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  pencil2man 
#1 ·
I'm having problems with my RS10 HDMI ports.

Has anyone here sent a JVC in for repairs?

How much is the evaluation charge if the repair costs more than the projector is worth?

Thanks

#4 ·
Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions . I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked  /t/1470338/out-of-warranty-jvc-repair#post_23265866

Thanks Mike.

In it goes.

Good luck...hopefully it will be something minor.

Mike

#7 ·
My three+ year old RS35U is beginning to exhibit an annoying start-up problem. During power up, rather than displaying the DILA white logo on black screen, I get a screen covered with many colored lines. I have to power down and then power back up. It frequently takes several attempts to get the correct initial screen. Once it powers up properly, it work flawlessly. This issue is occurring more and more frequently. I've attempted the start up with the HDMI cable disconnected, thinking that it could be a sync problem. It doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? How does Medtronix deal with the "hand selected" aspect of the RS35U?

Thanks

#8 ·
My JVC has been doing the same. On startup, it has verticals pink lines ever 10 inches or so. Fortunately they go away after about 2 minutes. My projector already went in for service once with the other pink issue.

I'm guessing at some point it will be a $4k write off. Can't sell it to anyone in good conscious.

#9 ·
I have a JVC RS 25 that is starting to develop multiple fine vertical lines ( like a fine comb ) with a blurred picture in the background on startup; then after a few minutes it goes away. Based on what you wrote- is this the same problem and what is the cause?

#10 ·
All of a sudden the HDMI ports on my FPJ1 aren't working. I really love this pj, but am a quite a bit bummed that I'm now looking at a major repair with less than 1600 hrs on the unit.

Is this likely to be a costly ( close to $1K) repair? Should I just start looking around for something else?

#11 ·
My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed. My guess is that you are looking at about a $1K repair provided a new input board is in stock which is unlikely given the age of your machine. You will probably need to buy a replacement machine,

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air  /t/1470338/out-of-warranty-jvc-repair#post_23264367

Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions . I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike

If I'm correct they used to be called the projector doctor and I believe infocus uses them for a repair center. I talked to them once and they seemed very knowledgable and were patient with me.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1470338/out-of-warranty-jvc-repair#post_23712757

My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed.

That can't possibly have been what happened to mine as I boxed it up when I went on the road (as I do every time I have an extended road trip) and just unboxed it now. It was working perfectly before it went in the box, now it doesn't recognize a signal on either input.

Thanks for the thoughts on the repair though. I'm really torn on what to do now. It seems replacing it with a newer model JVC is leaving me open to all the bulb issues people have been having the last few years, I would really love to get another FPJ1, but that seems a bit foolish since I can open myself up to other problems on an out of waranty/incapable of servicing unit.

Figures this would happen now as I just got my non functioning Darbee replaced, and just picked up my reupholstered HT chair.

#15 ·
I think that is known as the "processor board." I have an RS35 on the way back to me from Long Beach that needed one. With parts, labor, and return shipping, expect $800 to $1000. When it arrives, they will email a job number to you. With that you can check in on a daily basis to see its status. They will provide an estimate on the part, and await your decision. It's okay to call and ask about it at that time. They can get a tech on the phone who will look up your job number and read the notes. A bit of advice: Be very nice and reasonable in your communications with the tech, if you call and ask to speak with one after your unit has been diagnosed and an estimate made. You might get lucky and they cut you some slack on the part. Don't count on it, but it happens.

With your approval to continue, they will repair it, then run it on the bench for a full day or so to make sure everything is good. They also install the latest firmware.

Good luck.

#19 ·
I don't think it would be ridiculous if we had data, but anecdotally it's hard to tell. I actually would be curious to know the defect rates of Sony vs Epson vs JVC, etc. projectors but I doubt we'll ever see data considering it's a niche market. Consumer Reports released something for flat panels a couple of years or so back. I seem to recall Panasonic being one of the best (if not best).

#20 ·
It would be bad PR for these companies (with the exception to the number one company) if that information were to be released. But like I said, the mature nature of the current generation chassis and light engine should give solace to many who are worried about reliability. They even offer a great warranty (3 years on most models). Panasonic had a huge advantage with their plasma business because they didn't have to go through a ton of R&D to get into the plasma business. They bought all of Pioneer's patents and manufacturing techniques. They didn't need to go through years of trial and error models to get a refined product like Pioneer had in the last couple years when they were still making plasmas. I'm sure that if Panasonic had to build their plasma business from the ground up that list Consumer Reports released they wouldn't have gotten such a high score. Look at the state of OLED panels. Most of these early units have reliability and PQ issues. Having a mature product is a comforting thing in the eyes of the consumer.

#22 ·
But it isn't only about R&D although I understand your point. Some brand LEDs today are less reliable than other brands. The companies wouldn't release the data, it would be done on consumer surveys - at least that is how I recall Consumer Reports doing it. I am trying to search for their survey, but cannot find it. Not sure if it now requires being a member to their subscription at this point.

I think Panasonic only bought Pioneer's "stuff" after the Kuro was discontinued (around 2010 I think?). According to a former Panasonic insider on another site, they really didn't/couldn't use much they got from Pioneer into the later platform Panasonic as they went into a different direction particular in regards to energy requirements, etc. There were other areas where the Panasonics differed in design. However, some of those engineers from Pioneer came over to Panasonic did work on the new gen plasmas. Those consumer report numbers were not just based on plasmas but LEDs too. Panasonic though has had a strong reputation for years on reliability and build quality. When I sold my VT60 and went to a Samsung 51F5300B the build quality difference was very well apparent. However, Samsung reliability has improved in recent years and I think it would close to Panasonic in the survey I am thinking.

#23 ·
I have an older unit, DLA-HX1U, circa 2004, which has worked well until now. The original bulb burned out, can see black around electrode. However, the unit was acting odd. The fan would cycle on/off, with a start up ('cold') and then the standby and lamp lights blink. i bought a replacement bulb and it worked for the few minutes I had it on to prove the bulb was ok and projector worked then turned off. When i tried it again the next morning, same behavior with fans and no light.
I can press operate and the fan comes on solid for less than a minute then cycles again with lights blinking. I did reset the lamp timer and still no light.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. I do not know if parts are even still available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.