Out of warranty JVC repair - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems with my RS10 HDMI ports.
Has anyone here sent a JVC in for repairs?
How much is the evaluation charge if the repair costs more than the projector is worth?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM

JVC sends there customers to Mendtronix (formerly Projector Doctor) for repairs.Go to their website and it explains the procedure and costs.

It took me a couple months to get mine back though but it was fixed.

post #3 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
I've poked around on their site, but I can't find the charge if you decide not to fix it.
I've read that projector repair is expensive.
I'm trying to decide if replacing or repairing makes more sense.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions. I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike
post #5 of 22 Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike.
In it goes.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked View Post

Thanks Mike.
In it goes.

Good luck...hopefully it will be something minor.

Mike
post #7 of 22 Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My three+ year old RS35U is beginning to exhibit an annoying start-up problem. During power up, rather than displaying the DILA white logo on black screen, I get a screen covered with many colored lines. I have to power down and then power back up. It frequently takes several attempts to get the correct initial screen. Once it powers up properly, it work flawlessly. This issue is occurring more and more frequently. I've attempted the start up with the HDMI cable disconnected, thinking that it could be a sync problem. It doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? How does Medtronix deal with the "hand selected" aspect of the RS35U?

Thanks
post #8 of 22 Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My JVC has been doing the same. On startup, it has verticals pink lines ever 10 inches or so. Fortunately they go away after about 2 minutes. My projector already went in for service once with the other pink issue.

I'm guessing at some point it will be a $4k write off. Can't sell it to anyone in good conscious.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM

I have a JVC RS 25 that is starting to develop multiple fine vertical lines ( like a fine comb ) with a blurred picture in the background on startup; then after a few minutes it goes away. Based on what you wrote- is this the same problem and what is the cause?
post #10 of 22 Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All of a sudden the HDMI ports on my FPJ1 aren't working. I really love this pj, but am a quite a bit bummed that I'm now looking at a major repair with less than 1600 hrs on the unit.
Is this likely to be a costly ( close to $1K) repair? Should I just start looking around for something else?
post #11 of 22 Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 769
My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed. My guess is that you are looking at about a $1K repair provided a new input board is in stock which is unlikely given the age of your machine. You will probably need to buy a replacement machine,

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #12 of 22 Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions. I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike

If I'm correct they used to be called the projector doctor and I believe infocus uses them for a repair center. I talked to them once and they seemed very knowledgable and were patient with me.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed.

That can't possibly have been what happened to mine as I boxed it up when I went on the road (as I do every time I have an extended road trip) and just unboxed it now. It was working perfectly before it went in the box, now it doesn't recognize a signal on either input.

Thanks for the thoughts on the repair though. I'm really torn on what to do now. It seems replacing it with a newer model JVC is leaving me open to all the bulb issues people have been having the last few years, I would really love to get another FPJ1, but that seems a bit foolish since I can open myself up to other problems on an out of waranty/incapable of servicing unit.

Figures this would happen now as I just got my non functioning Darbee replaced, and just picked up my reupholstered HT chair.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone have estimates for how much the main hdmi board costs to replace? Obviously depends on the model but would like an estimate! I have an RS45.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post
Does anyone have estimates for how much the main hdmi board costs to replace? Obviously depends on the model but would like an estimate! I have an RS45.
I think that is known as the "processor board." I have an RS35 on the way back to me from Long Beach that needed one. With parts, labor, and return shipping, expect $800 to $1000. When it arrives, they will email a job number to you. With that you can check in on a daily basis to see its status. They will provide an estimate on the part, and await your decision. It's okay to call and ask about it at that time. They can get a tech on the phone who will look up your job number and read the notes. A bit of advice: Be very nice and reasonable in your communications with the tech, if you call and ask to speak with one after your unit has been diagnosed and an estimate made. You might get lucky and they cut you some slack on the part. Don't count on it, but it happens.

With your approval to continue, they will repair it, then run it on the bench for a full day or so to make sure everything is good. They also install the latest firmware.

Good luck.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Are all projectors a little fussy or are JVCs less reliable than some others?
post #17 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
They can be fussy with HDMI. My RS4810 has sync issues at times with my Oppo 103D going through my Denon X3000 receiver to projetor.

I've heard mixed things on their reliability. I'm not sure.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
They can be fussy with HDMI. My RS4810 has sync issues at times with my Oppo 103D going through my Denon X3000 receiver to projetor.

I've heard mixed things on their reliability. I'm not sure.
In general this is kind of a ridiculous question to answer. If JVC (or any other company for that matter) made a product that was hugely or even moderately unreliable it would cost them a lot of money in warranty claims and ultimately the product would not yield them a profit. Considering this chassis design has been used for 5 years now you can imagine they have made plenty of production line changes on hardware for parts that failed more often than the others. A current generation JVC should be more reliable than projectors that are built upon newly design chassis or light engines. It just makes sense that this would be the case considering the information JVC has on warranty claims. They know what parts fail the most so they know these are the parts they needed to change over the years to make a more reliable product.

With that said, it should be noted that JVC projectors are some of the most popular projectors purchased by the readers and contributors on this forum so it should be one of the most reported on when it comes to DOA units or units that have issues, but that should at no point in time be confused with their projectors failing in large quantities. It just means that there are a ton of units out there so it makes sense that you'd hear more about them failing compared to other lesser sold projectors I think people are confusing the number or problems reported with "JVC has a reliability issue" without taking into consideration of how many units there actually are out in the wild.

Another part of the equation is where the projectors are built. JVC projectors are made in China. They are mass produced so there may be a higher percentage of unit failure over other, more boutique, brands (like a Sim2 projector). There are pro's and cons to parts being made and the units themselves being put together in China. Without a doubt, this is why we can have an X500 at a $4000 street price. If these units were assembled in Japan, Germany, USA, or even Taiwan they'd cost considerably more. So there's a fundamental question that consumers need to ask themselves; are you okay with a slightly higher percentage of failure if that means you can get the projector at a much lower price? I think in general people will be okay with this as long as the company offers a solid warranty along with the projector. Judging from all the "When will 4K projectors get to the sub $3000 price" question asking I hope they can accept this because they can't have it both ways and if they do expect everything they don't understand how the economies of CE manufacturing currently work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!

Last edited by Seegs108; 03-06-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think it would be ridiculous if we had data, but anecdotally it's hard to tell. I actually would be curious to know the defect rates of Sony vs Epson vs JVC, etc. projectors but I doubt we'll ever see data considering it's a niche market. Consumer Reports released something for flat panels a couple of years or so back. I seem to recall Panasonic being one of the best (if not best).

post #20 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 496
It would be bad PR for these companies (with the exception to the number one company) if that information were to be released. But like I said, the mature nature of the current generation chassis and light engine should give solace to many who are worried about reliability. They even offer a great warranty (3 years on most models). Panasonic had a huge advantage with their plasma business because they didn't have to go through a ton of R&D to get into the plasma business. They bought all of Pioneer's patents and manufacturing techniques. They didn't need to go through years of trial and error models to get a refined product like Pioneer had in the last couple years when they were still making plasmas. I'm sure that if Panasonic had to build their plasma business from the ground up that list Consumer Reports released they wouldn't have gotten such a high score. Look at the state of OLED panels. Most of these early units have reliability and PQ issues. Having a mature product is a comforting thing in the eyes of the consumer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #21 of 22 Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

There are so many variables - HDMI cable brand, age, length, receiver, source. It's near impossible to answer this question. I had zero HDMI handshake issues with both a 4910 and an RS57 in my theater. But I have new Redmere cables, the longest is 15', and newer receiver ( Denon 4520 ), and only two reliable sources ( Oppo BDP103 and a DISH Hopper cable box ). Longer HDMI cables, old cables, maybe a source that's set wrong, or some setting in the receiver - there are a lot of ways to have problems even if the projector is working perfectly. I've had a few HDMI problems with my VW600, until I learned that it likes the receiver and source device turned on first, before turning on the projector. Also, my 6 year old Lumis hates new Redmere cables - who knew !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #22 of 22 Old 03-07-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It would be bad PR for these companies (with the exception to the number one company) if that information were to be released. But like I said, the mature nature of the current generation chassis and light engine should give solace to many who are worried about reliability. They even offer a great warranty (3 years on most models). Panasonic had a huge advantage with their plasma business because they didn't have to go through a ton of R&D to get into the plasma business. They bought all of Pioneer's patents and manufacturing techniques. They didn't need to go through years of trial and error models to get a refined product like Pioneer had in the last couple years when they were still making plasmas. I'm sure that if Panasonic had to build their plasma business from the ground up that list Consumer Reports released they wouldn't have gotten such a high score. Look at the state of OLED panels. Most of these early units have reliability and PQ issues. Having a mature product is a comforting thing in the eyes of the consumer.

But it isn't only about R&D although I understand your point. Some brand LEDs today are less reliable than other brands. The companies wouldn't release the data, it would be done on consumer surveys - at least that is how I recall Consumer Reports doing it. I am trying to search for their survey, but cannot find it. Not sure if it now requires being a member to their subscription at this point.

I think Panasonic only bought Pioneer's "stuff" after the Kuro was discontinued (around 2010 I think?). According to a former Panasonic insider on another site, they really didn't/couldn't use much they got from Pioneer into the later platform Panasonic as they went into a different direction particular in regards to energy requirements, etc. There were other areas where the Panasonics differed in design. However, some of those engineers from Pioneer came over to Panasonic did work on the new gen plasmas. Those consumer report numbers were not just based on plasmas but LEDs too. Panasonic though has had a strong reputation for years on reliability and build quality. When I sold my VT60 and went to a Samsung 51F5300B the build quality difference was very well apparent. However, Samsung reliability has improved in recent years and I think it would close to Panasonic in the survey I am thinking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page