Out of warranty JVC repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems with my RS10 HDMI ports.
Has anyone here sent a JVC in for repairs?
How much is the evaluation charge if the repair costs more than the projector is worth?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM

JVC sends there customers to Mendtronix (formerly Projector Doctor) for repairs.Go to their website and it explains the procedure and costs.

It took me a couple months to get mine back though but it was fixed.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
I've poked around on their site, but I can't find the charge if you decide not to fix it.
I've read that projector repair is expensive.
I'm trying to decide if replacing or repairing makes more sense.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions. I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike.
In it goes.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked View Post

Thanks Mike.
In it goes.

Good luck...hopefully it will be something minor.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My three+ year old RS35U is beginning to exhibit an annoying start-up problem. During power up, rather than displaying the DILA white logo on black screen, I get a screen covered with many colored lines. I have to power down and then power back up. It frequently takes several attempts to get the correct initial screen. Once it powers up properly, it work flawlessly. This issue is occurring more and more frequently. I've attempted the start up with the HDMI cable disconnected, thinking that it could be a sync problem. It doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? How does Medtronix deal with the "hand selected" aspect of the RS35U?

Thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My JVC has been doing the same. On startup, it has verticals pink lines ever 10 inches or so. Fortunately they go away after about 2 minutes. My projector already went in for service once with the other pink issue.

I'm guessing at some point it will be a $4k write off. Can't sell it to anyone in good conscious.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM

I have a JVC RS 25 that is starting to develop multiple fine vertical lines ( like a fine comb ) with a blurred picture in the background on startup; then after a few minutes it goes away. Based on what you wrote- is this the same problem and what is the cause?
post #10 of 13 Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All of a sudden the HDMI ports on my FPJ1 aren't working. I really love this pj, but am a quite a bit bummed that I'm now looking at a major repair with less than 1600 hrs on the unit.
Is this likely to be a costly ( close to $1K) repair? Should I just start looking around for something else?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 484
My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed. My guess is that you are looking at about a $1K repair provided a new input board is in stock which is unlikely given the age of your machine. You will probably need to buy a replacement machine,

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #12 of 13 Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Here is the diagnostic fee from Mendtronix which would apply to the RS10 if not fixed. If fixed, they waive the fee.

Units under 45 lbs - $65 diagnostic fee and $29 ground shipping (under 20 lbs) and $39 (21-45 lbs) (except for UF35 - refer to SMART Shipping Instructions which can be accessed on the Repair Process page)

By the way, this was found under FAQ and then Terms and Conditions. I currently have my RS40 being repaired by them under warranty so I have explored their site. That's not bad for an out of warranty diagnostic fee, might be worth sending in to have checked out. So far the people I have talked to at Mendtronix have been very helpful.

Mike

If I'm correct they used to be called the projector doctor and I believe infocus uses them for a repair center. I talked to them once and they seemed very knowledgable and were patient with me.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

My guess is that lightening struck nearby and enough charge traveled down the HDMI wires to fry the HDMI input chips. I had it happen to me on another brand and it was repaired under warranty because all they knew was that the HDMI chips failed.

That can't possibly have been what happened to mine as I boxed it up when I went on the road (as I do every time I have an extended road trip) and just unboxed it now. It was working perfectly before it went in the box, now it doesn't recognize a signal on either input.

Thanks for the thoughts on the repair though. I'm really torn on what to do now. It seems replacing it with a newer model JVC is leaving me open to all the bulb issues people have been having the last few years, I would really love to get another FPJ1, but that seems a bit foolish since I can open myself up to other problems on an out of waranty/incapable of servicing unit.

Figures this would happen now as I just got my non functioning Darbee replaced, and just picked up my reupholstered HT chair.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page