JVC Lamp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
So I finally got around to replacing my lamp after it exploded at 1500 hours on my RS-45.

There were pieces of exploded lamp shards everywhere leaking through the lamp crack. I had to vacuum the lamp container area of the projector.

BTW, I hope I didn't expose myself to mercury, hah. I should have been more careful, can you actually expose yourself to mercury from the broken lamp shards, I guess you'd have to come in direct contact with it or breathe them in.

I hope my Series 3 lamp lasts longer, that was a nasty cleanup job.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Did it pop on start up or while it was running?

I picked up a rev 3 for a great price recently, but still have low hours on the rev 2. It's been running in high altitude mode since it was new.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While it was running, I was out of the room when it popped so I didn't hear it. So I didn't know it had exploded until I opened it up.

BTW, you are not supposed to vacuum it up I read because it can shoot the mercury back into the air. That said, I should be ok, I was somewhat careful. I left the lamp in there for a few days before removing it so that the debris would settle. I probably shouldn't have vacuumed it up, but I didn't see a good way to clean it up. They say to use a playing card from a deck of cards, there really wasn't a way to do that, the shards were too fine and were stuck against the wall. I haven't eaten fish in a while so my mercury levels beforehand were probably really low.

Maybe I need to go get a blood test smile.gif
Just kidding, I should be ok.
Vacuum is getting thrown away though, it's contaminated with mercury.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 55 this morning but am a bit trigger shy after reading this thread. I'm aware of JVC lamp issues but am concerned about having to send it to JVC if the lamp blows. If the projector is still under JVC warranty, would they charge to clean it out? Also, does JVC have a good reputation as far as speedy turn around time?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #5 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I was ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 55 this morning but am a bit trigger shy after reading this thread. I'm aware of JVC lamp issues but am concerned about having to send it to JVC if the lamp blows. If the projector is still under JVC warranty, would they charge to clean it out? Also, does JVC have a good reputation as far as speedy turn around time?

Thanks,
Tom

Seriously? Lamps can explode no matter the brand or quality of projector/lamp. It just happens sometimes. You shouldn't use something like one arbitrary time it happened to deter you from a purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #6 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Seriously? Lamps can explode no matter the brand or quality of projector/lamp. It just happens sometimes. You shouldn't use something like one arbitrary time it happened to deter you from a purchase.

Yes, seriously.

The JVC x5 series is known for it's lamp issues. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have asked the question. I know ALL lamps can have a problem regardless of projector brand, I've been on this forum for over a decade and in no other projector threads have I read about so many exploding lamps.

I just asked my question just to find out how JVC handles the situation if still under projector warranty but not lamp warranty.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #7 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom, if you're concerned, I would call their support line and ask how this is handled.

I'm personally not concerned about the lamp issues anymore. Since the rev 2 was released, complaints went down significantly and practically disappeared since the Rev 3 w/ the flapper was released. I just bought a Rev 3 as a spare.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Tom,

I wouldn't worry about if the lamp explodes, it is a sealed compartment so it shouldn't do any damage to projector and is easy to cleanup. My lamp when it died just made a small poof sound but nothing exploded. If something did get damaged when/if a lamp exploded that should be covered under warranty. Also, when I sent my RS40 to Mendtronix(who repairs JVC's under warranty now) the first time I had projector back in like 12 days.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #9 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How did you clean it up?
It wasn't the easiest thing to clean up (ok not the worst), there were mercury infested shards everywhere.

I still have to sweep the floors, mop the floor, and wash all the counters, will do in a bit. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like a huge deal to clean it up, but there was a fine shard dust leaking out of the lamp as I picked it up with gloves, that dust has high mercury content. I'd be very careful about cleaning this mess up smile.gif

I sacrificed a vacuum cleaner in the process, but I never liked that vacuum anyhow.

post #10 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

How did you clean it up?
It wasn't the easiest thing to clean up (ok not the worst), there were mercury infested shards everywhere.

I still have to sweep the floors, mop the floor, and wash all the counters, will do in a bit. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like a huge deal to clean it up, but there was a fine shard dust leaking out of the lamp as I picked it up with gloves, that dust has high mercury content. I'd be very careful about cleaning this mess up smile.gif

I sacrificed a vacuum cleaner in the process, but I never liked that vacuum anyhow.

My RS40 lamp didn't explode so I didn't have to clean anything up for it. I had another lamp explode in a different projector and I took one of those lens brushes to rake all the shards away but I guess every lamp exploding can be different and the less the tiny shards and dust the better.....sounds like yours was a bigger cleanup process than mine.

Mike

post #11 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Tom, if you're concerned, I would call their support line and ask how this is handled.

I'm personally not concerned about the lamp issues anymore. Since the rev 2 was released, complaints went down significantly and practically disappeared since the Rev 3 w/ the flapper was released. I just bought a Rev 3 as a spare.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried to contact JVC was they didn't respond to email and I was unable to get a human to speak with.

My dealer is opening up a new 55 for me today to check focus and convergence. As long as it's not a bad one, I will FINALLY have one in my HT room. This is the main reason it took so long to pull the trigger. Hopefully, it will have the rev 2 or rev 3 lamp and my patience will have paid off.

Tom

post #12 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys. I tried to contact JVC was they didn't respond to email and I was unable to get a human to speak with.

My dealer is opening up a new 55 for me today to check focus and convergence. As long as it's not a bad one, I will FINALLY have one in my HT room. This is the main reason it took so long to pull the trigger. Hopefully, it will have the rev 2 or rev 3 lamp and my patience will have paid off.

Tom

Congratulations Tom... I'll be anxious to hear your impressions once you get it. I'm very jealous. smile.gif

Mike

post #13 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Congratulations Tom... I'll be anxious to hear your impressions once you get it. I'm very jealous. smile.gif

Mike

+1!

Congrats Tom! I have loved my 45 and the 55 is even better of course with the eshift. The reports have been very positive from what I have seen with the V3 flapper, so that should ease your mind. I have a flapper on deck when/if I need it.

Enjoy! smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guy's.smile.gif

The guy just called me and said that convergence was decent at best. I wanted him to shut off eshift so I could find out how many pixels the colors were off. He asked why and I said that I need to ask the guys on the avsforum. I needed this info to find out if the 55's convergence range could correct it to an acceptable level.adjustment. As soon as I mentioned asking about this on AVS he flipped out. Totally bashing everyone as a bunch of paion in the ass perfectioists. Needless to say, I told him that I was going to passand hung up. This forum is like a second family to me and no dealer is going to bash it. The convergence must have been pretty poor to react like that.

Now, I'm back to square one.frown.gif

If only I could get Jason to sell me his 55. wink.gif I'd pay a 1k premium to get one like his.

Tom

post #15 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

that's a shame, it could have been decent and he might not even know what to look for. Do you know how he was testing the convergence?

If 1 color was off by a full pixel or so, that is easily correctable without issue.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It was the white grid test pattern. Without eshift off, it's impossible to tell how far off the colors are. Red looked REALLY bad in the photos he sent, just like my current RS2 clone. Green and blue looked to be way off as well. At least blue and green look really good on it with very good focus. I told him I wasn't after perfect but just good.

I have decided to only purchase a used 55 with very good convergence and focus. Until one comes up on the used market from someone I trust, I'll just live with my current JVC. frown.gif If I ever purchase a new JVC in the future it will be from AVScience. Mike is the MAN!!!!!!

Tom

post #17 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

as an FYI for the future, digital photos of convergence patterns can be quite deceiving for a number of different reasons. To check convergence, I usually run in low lamp and shut down the iris a bit. The high brightness at the pixel level can cause flare that can throw off the perception of the convergence.

The other major factor is the digital camera. I have very expensive lenses for my Nikon and they still flare like crazy. I have to use a high shutter speed to prevent the sensor from bleeding light from one color to another. The CCD's are sensitive in different ways to RGB and can bleed as well.

I've calibrated a number of 45's and 55's last year, I didn't see any that I thought were bad. The only really bad JVC I've seen is my original RS40 which was off by a mile.

edit: the dealer should have used the built-in RGB pattern.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may never again in my life see another projector as well converged as my RS-45 is at the right room temp. Blue is actually off a tiny bit, but that is easily corrected and nearly invisible.
After the blue corrected, It averages about 0.2 pixels off vertical and 0.1 off horizontal. At the most extreme blue might be 0.3 pixels on the bottom right and bottom left.

The thing that makes it incredible is that RED is ONLY about 1/20th of one pixel off on most of the screen in the right room temp. Blue is the main offender (0.1 to 0.3), and green is the neutral pixel so that doesn't count. Basically it's as perfect as it gets, and this is using some LENS shift (though not a ton). RED is what matters. It does take a few minutes to warm up and depends on room temp to how good convergence is.

Essentially, it is really not more than 0.1 pixels off at any single line border point. You can't even see the error on the menu really any farther than about 1 foot from the screen, you can see it a tiny bit from HTPC text at 1-2 feet just cause the text fringes easy due to clear-type. It was really good before, but now I use even less lens shift and it made it a bit better, it doesn't get any better than this.

post #19 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as an FYI for the future, digital photos of convergence patterns can be quite deceiving for a number of different reasons. To check convergence, I usually run in low lamp and shut down the iris a bit. The high brightness at the pixel level can cause flare that can throw off the perception of the convergence.

The other major factor is the digital camera. I have very expensive lenses for my Nikon and they still flare like crazy. I have to use a high shutter speed to prevent the sensor from bleeding light from one color to another. The CCD's are sensitive in different ways to RGB and can bleed as well.

I've calibrated a number of 45's and 55's last year, I didn't see any that I thought were bad. The only really bad JVC I've seen is my original RS40 which was off by a mile.

edit: the dealer should have used the built-in RGB pattern.

Didn't you return your first 55 that had similar issues?

The dealer said that convergence was decent at best. I could tell by his tone that he was expecting better. Focus wasn't very uniform either.

I was really surprised at his lack of knowledge concerning this projector. If he knew more about it, maybe it could have worked out. He really needs to read this forum. Who knows more about the projectors than owners.

Tom

post #20 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

understood, sorry to hear this wasn't the one. The dealer shouldn't beat up on the forum, many recommendations (good and bad) come from here.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most JVC's have good convergence, I wouldn't hesitate on taking the gamble. I'd say JVC's are # 1 in the sub-10k market for accurate convergence, though some can be off now and then, but after the corrective 1 pixel adjustment (or more if you have RS-55+), it's not usually off that much. You might have a hard time finding one like mine, but you can get one close enough.

Most dealers hate talking about convergence, and I can understand their position.

1) It's somewhat random and a bit of a losing battle.
2) The MFR's don't let them open a projector and still sell them as new (though some might try it).
3) Even if the convergence is good at X Lens Shift position, it might not be at Y Lens Shift position in someone elses room. I was lucky in that the amount of lens shift and position didn't degrade it.
4) When you ask a dealer about things like convergence, it immediately strikes a tone with them thinking "oh no - not another one of those OCD AVS folks". Some people in here do get OCD, we all can on occasion, but I suppose it is that compulsion that also allows us to notate small differences that might otherwise be invisible or overlooked by the average user.

post #22 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

understood, sorry to hear this wasn't the one. The dealer shouldn't beat up on the forum, many recommendations (good and bad) come from here.

Unfortunately, I think many dealers dream customer is one that knows nothing.

post #23 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Tom

It should have version 2. All RS55's shipped with version 2.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #24 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Unfortunately, I think many dealers dream customer is one that knows nothing.

Yeah, we are all looking for Sargent Schultz. smile.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q
Tom, sorry the RS55 did not work out for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #25 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If my JVC clone didn't have such poor red convergence, I wouldn't be as gun shy.

post #26 of 29 Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Yeah, we are all looking for Sargent Schultz. smile.gifhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q
Tom, sorry the RS55 did not work out for you.

Thanks Mike. smile.gif

If only you were selling RS55 b-stocks.

Tom

post #27 of 29 Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks guy's.smile.gif

The guy just called me and said that convergence was decent at best. I wanted him to shut off eshift so I could find out how many pixels the colors were off. He asked why and I said that I need to ask the guys on the avsforum. I needed this info to find out if the 55's convergence range could correct it to an acceptable level.adjustment. As soon as I mentioned asking about this on AVS he flipped out. Totally bashing everyone as a bunch of paion in the ass perfectioists. Needless to say, I told him that I was going to passand hung up. This forum is like a second family to me and no dealer is going to bash it. The convergence must have been pretty poor to react like that.

Now, I'm back to square one.frown.gif

If only I could get Jason to sell me his 55. wink.gif I'd pay a 1k premium to get one like his.

Tom
You did well to get someone to take the time and open up a new projector, set it up and take a look for you....that was a lot better than I could do...I called 6 different dealers they all refused, They said if there was a problem that it would be covered by the warranty.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
There is no point in getting a retailer to check stock for you unless they leave it on for at least 30 minutes and turn it upside down or right way up depending on your intention. With the current JVC chassis, they do migrate up to a whole pixel during warm-up, and if you flip them over their behaviour is different again. On my X75, blue shifts almost a whole pixel upside down, but doesn't move if its right way up. Fortunately as it shifts near enough a whole pixel, it just takes one click on the convergence adjustment and its sorted. Also blue convergence is the least important. As pointed out above, it is red/green convergence that really matters. On my X75, it is not as good as mentioned above which sounds exceptional, but it remains within 0.5 of a pixel over the whole image, with the worst being at the bottom of the screen. The centre section is within 0.25 of a pixel.

Just a side note, a really good projector with excellent optics will show up even 0.25 of a pixel obviously if your nose is pressed against the screen. The better it is at resolving detail, the more you will see even the slightest misconvergence! Also those JVCs with e-shift devices cause a slight flaring, normally on red, so red pixels appear slightly thicker than they should (even with e-shift off). As a result, you can actually get red to appear above AND below green. It is so easy to obsess about convergence....my X70 was not great. Upside down blue rotated anti-clockwise as it warmed up, while red rotated clockwise. These sorts of errors are near impossible to optimise. With that one I had a choice of okay centrally but dire in one corner (about 1.7 pixels deviation). Or within 1 pixel over the entire screen but out about 0.7 in the centre. This is still within JVC tolerances by the way.

Anyway, it is a bit of a lottery with convergence, but please do not aim for 0.1 or 0.2 pixels over the whole screen because that really is like winning the lottery!
post #29 of 29 Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 33
Have a question about the lamp's brightness stability (X35/55/75/95). What's your lamps behaviour after switching on - does it flicker for a while, or is it totally stable?

My one starts plainly visible to flicker ~1 Minute after power on, at a room temp of ~18°C. Only after ~2 hours it's completely disappeared.
frown.gif

_________
Regards,
Harry
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page