Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy a JVC RS55 for ~$3,800 brand new from an authorized dealer. Does it make any sense to upgrade from the 45 to the 55? I have been reading some of the threads on the new models and it appears the RS55 still holds its own against the best in the price range for 2D. My main focus is 2D. I watch some 3D occasionally, but it will never be my priority. I am actually rather content with the 3D that I get from my RS45 and don't really understand why it has been so badly criticized. Yes there is some ghosting, but very little from my experience. Anyway would it make sense to upgrade to the 55 or should I look at one of the newer models. I sit approximately 11 feet from a 103" 16:9 screen . The projector is rack mounted at eye level ~ 14' from the screen. The room offers complete light control.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Hi, on that size screen, it might not make sense to upgrade. I sit 14" feet from my 142" 16:9 and can easily see the difference between e-shift on vs. off, but not sure it would be as obvious with this smaller screen.

perhaps JonStatt will reply with comments, he has an e-shift 2 projector with a relatively 'small' screen.

Edit: I'll zoom my RS55 down to 103" and see how it looks later tonight with e-shift on/off.
post #3 of 36 Old 04-29-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jason,

Thanks! I knew you would end up responding and given you have more experience than anyone comparing and contrasting the current JVC line I am really content with your assessment.

Best regards,

John
post #4 of 36 Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Jason,

Would the extra contrast he would gain not also be enough to warrant an upgrade or is it not that noticeable unless you were doing a side by side test? I've been thinking of upgrading my RS40 and I use a 125" diaganol 2.35 screen and was thinking of either a B-stock RS55 or used RS65. I might also hold out until later this year to see what JVC comes out with this fall.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #5 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just caught this thread.

I think the RS55 is a fantastic projector and "if" you can get the aperture closed down most of the way with your screen, I think that the upgrade difference will be seen on that alone.

As for the e-shift. I could see the benefits of e-shift without difficulty on the RS55 when the MPC adjustment slider was set to 2 or 3. My screen is even smaller, only 80" but I sit only 9 feet away. Combined with a Darbee, the differences were really obvious. So I wholeheartedly recommend this projector. I do know there are others that claim they saw little/no different with e-shift though so I suspect it partly comes down to your visual acuity as well. By the way, you see more difference in comparing moving images and selecting on/off than pausing on a static screen and comparing.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jason / Jon:

I have heard that motion handling is better due to e-shift is that true? I have also heard that the e-shift is as good as or better than e-shift2. Would you agree with that? Is there anything the new line of JVC's bring to the table that the RS55 does not have?

Thanks again!
post #7 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw people comment that motion was a bit better but I can't see it to be honest.

I was never happy with the 3D crosstalk performance on last years range. We are all seeing the same thing, unlike suggestions that projectors vary (when the bulb is new). But our brains process it differently. Some people just don't tune into it and filter it out...others get distracted by it. The newer models are better for this....there is no doubt!

E-shift 1 has less options and for smaller screens it would have been nice to crank it up more. E-shift 2 has many more options, but it tends to crank up too easily and then it looks digital. So some prefer e-shift 1. On my smaller screen I find e-shift 2 performs just as well, if not better than e-shift 1. But if you are not careful it does seem to take a "digital" look more easily

E-shift 2 also maintains the ANSI contrast of the lower models. E-shift 1 reduced the ANSI contrast due to its optical characteristics.

So in summary, differences between RS55 and RS56
1) 3D performance
2) Contrast ratio from 80k to 90k:1
3) Auto-calibration using custom JVC software and a Spyder 3/4 sensor
4) E-shift 2 vs 1
5) iOS application to control the projector via network connection
6) More lens position presets
7) Better bulb with longer life and slower degradation
post #8 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

142" 2.8HP 16:9 screen, RS55 zoomed in to 103".

103inch.jpg

The projector is ~ 16 feet from the screen, seating is at 14 feet normally, but I moved 1 of my chairs to ~11 feet to simulate your setup. I used the Dark Knight Rises as reference footage (IMAX scenes specifically) and SkyFall. I can definitely see a difference with e-shift on vs. off. I ran the MPC at 3 which is the highest setting.

Overall the PQ looks excellent with the e-shift on. It feels like we are turning up the resolution of the image a notch or 2. Face details become more obvious, hair texture takes on dimension and there is a perceived increase in contrast.

I've studied Reality Creation vs. E-shift 1 and 2. I definitely see why RC is so popular, it's very obvious when you turn it on and creates a great perception of sharpness. The caveat is that it's not as refined as e-shift with my critical 2D bluray content. It's more aggressive and even at the lowest setting, I can see the artifacts from the processing. With the e-shift, I leave it on all the time and adjust the MPC from 1-3 depending on the content.

These are just screenshots, but these scenes look excellent in person. E-shift is a great benefit for a large screen + close seating distance.

JVC-mini3D1.jpg

JVC-mini3D5.jpg

JVC-mini3D7.jpg

JVC-mini3D16.jpg

JVC-mini3D18.jpg

skyfall_jvc.jpg

skyfall_jvc1.jpg

skyfall_jvc2.jpg

no other projector under 10K can pull off this scene like the JVC's.

skyfall_jvc3.jpg

regarding motion, I use my projectors mainly for 24 frame blurays. I'm not sure how much impact e-shift has on the perceived motion, but I have no issues with the RS55 and my fast paced actions movies on BD.
post #9 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jon and Jason....great posts.

Mike

post #10 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The e-shift is the reason I'd go to the RS-55 over the RS-45, not contrast. I finally got to see both side-by-side now with both fully closed aperture. There is a difference but it's not all that huge to the eye, it's like a notch darker maybe two at best, without an A/B it would hardly look much different. The e-shift is killer though, especially if you sit close like I do.

The RS-45 holds its own against the RS-55, more than I thought it would, but the e-shift does make SOME things look better. It's not in your face better though.

BTW, I love the Darbee but I cannot get it working consistently with my HDMI matrix switch (irritating). I need the matrix switch to keep things going to both projectors, Zombie how do you handle this?
Let me guess, the Lumagen :P

PS: My Rs-45 had better convergence than the RS-55 I just compared it to, not a lot, but enough to make me pause. I am undecided if I will upgrade to the RS-55 after I saw it, probably not. I think I'll wait for true 4k to be honest. The difference is there, but it's just not worth that kind of money to me (to some it might be, but if you already own an RS-45, I'd say wait IMHO). I went through a major crapload of trouble to compare them, but it was bothering me, because I did see the RS-55 once before but I had to do the A/B. Man the troubles I've gone through to A/B some of these (I've been all over the US, though that's for work more so, but still LOTS of driving when out of town). I had to drive 180 miles, fun!

Zombie is lucky, people send him the freaking units, I mean come on :P

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #11 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Yeah, I've noticed the Darbee likes some projectors more than others. For the life of me I could never get it to work with the InFocus IN83 or the Sim2 D80 when I had them here. It also hates my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver. Luckily I use an HTPC and have 4 digital outputs at my disposal. The projector and audio get their own separate connection from my graphics card. This comes in handy actually considering the receiver only has HDMI 1.3 ports. 3D wouldn't work.
post #12 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd love to gain the understanding you have of the HTPC software I need to do all that, but I'm trying to dedicate all my time to my new app and new calculator(s), and have very little time to actually watch movies or TV (or do anything). It's a bit stressful, but hopefully I can keep this pace up for just 6-12 months to finish. I have enough computer fiddling work on my plate already. I'm lucky game engines have gotten as HIGH level as they are now, or I'd never be able to make this NEW product (not without a bigger team anyhow). This is 25x simpler than it used to be.

I'm debating on an E-Shift simulator, but not for the first version as that one is locked smile.gif

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The e-shift is the reason I'd go to the RS-55 over the RS-45, not contrast. I finally got to see both side-by-side now with both fully closed aperture. There is a difference but it's not all that huge to the eye, it's like a notch darker maybe two at best, without an A/B it would hardly look much different. The e-shift is killer though, especially if you sit close like I do.

The RS-45 holds its own against the RS-55, more than I thought it would, but the e-shift does make SOME things look better. It's not in your face better though.

BTW, I love the Darbee but I cannot get it working consistently with my HDMI matrix switch (irritating). I need the matrix switch to keep things going to both projectors, Zombie how do you handle this?

PS: My Rs-45 had better convergence than the RS-55 I just compared it to, not a lot, but enough to make me pause. I am undecided if I will upgrade to the RS-55 after I saw it, probably not. I think I'll wait for true 4k to be honest. The difference is there, but it's just not worth that kind of money to me (to some it might be, but if you already own an RS-45, I'd say wait IMHO). I went through a major crapload of trouble to compare them, but it was bothering me, because I did see the RS-55 once before but I had to do the A/B. Man the troubles I've gone through to A/B some of these (I've been all over the US, though that's for work more so, but still LOTS of driving when out of town). I had to drive 180 miles, fun!

Thanks Coderguy,

I was thinking of upgrading my RS40 to either a RS55 or RS65. My other options are to wait till September to see what JVC announces as I would like a brighter JVC and either get on the preorder list for one of the new models or then get a B-stock RS56 as they become available.

Decisions....decisions....

Thanks,
Mike

post #14 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
You'd be surprised at how easy it's become. Both nvidia and AMD have fined tuned their control centers' to make changes for multiple displays/outputs fairly straightforward. As far as other software based HTPC stuff like media players and front end GUIs like XBMC, there are TONS of step by step guides that explain how to set things up properly and how to customize the crap out of them to do pretty much anything under the sun you want. XMBC is pretty crazy because there are a zillion plugins that you can install that allow you to do anything.
post #15 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Was the 55's convergence adjusted or was it out of the box?

Did a dealer let you take it home to demo?

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #16 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Then it limits my other sources on the switches and I'll find myself walking to my wire shelf setup and fumbling with wires when I want to change something. This is an unnecessary distraction, I've been suffering without the Darbee for now except on Bluray Sources.

I'm trying to limit myself to 1 hour or less of TV watching per day, as I'm doing this next calculator (I'm not sure I'd call it a calculator though, it's a full 3D simulator).

This next calculator is going to hopefully blow peoples minds, but that's not why I'm building it, I'm doing it because this is what I love to do, and I can... It's going to happen, some people may have doubts, but I have none, soon enough we will be able to simulate all this stuff in an application I built. I'm not doing it for popularity, glamour, or money, this is what I like to do. Heck, I've been working in this forum for free for 3 years now, I think it's about time I solve a common problem in everyone's best interests, including my own.

At least I'll get rid of most of the newb questions, hopefully it will be like, here go play this for a while then come back in an hour, you are no longer a newb, you just left a real simulation smile.gif
People can understand a game, people can understand a TV, what people don't seem to understand is a projector.

post #17 of 36 Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Was the 55's convergence adjusted or was it out of the box?

Did a dealer let you take it home to demo?

Tom

I saw a demo model in Dallas, but Nah this wasn't a dealer this time, I know a guy that owns a smallish IT company and he installs projectors on the side on a rare occasion. The people he was setting up for were out of town, so he let me bring my PJ down and compare it. Pain in the rear let me tell you, but at least it satisfied all doubts. I've helped him with a few installs, but like I said, it's a rare occasion.

We were comparing nominal 1 pixel adjustments to 1 pixel, we did not micro-adjust as that is not a valid comparison. The RS-55 had 1/3rd pixel off on RED average and 0.25 on blue, we did not have to shift RED, but did have to shift blue 1 pixel. Mine at nearly no lens shift was off about 1/15th to 1/20th pixel on red, and 0.4 on blue after shifting my blue one pixel (mine was OFF a little more than normal in this room compared to my own room, probably room temp).

My PJ easily beat it in sharpness with the filters off if you were standing close enough. I don't know, maybe my RS-45 is a golden sample, but I'm not convinced yet that I want to pay $1500 more for a projector with worse convergence, e-shift or no-eshift.

post #18 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Thanks Coderguy,

I was thinking of upgrading my RS40 to either a RS55 or RS65. My other options are to wait till September to see what JVC announces as I would like a brighter JVC and either get on the preorder list for one of the new models or then get a B-stock RS56 as they become available.

Decisions....decisions....

Thanks,
Mike

There is a brighter JVC and its been out a couple of years. Marketed more towards commercial installations, plantariums and the like. Its basically an RS50/X7 with the following differences:

White chassis only
Lumens increased to 1700
Contrast drops to 30k (presumably due to the higher light output?)

Could be quite a good buy under certain circumstances, especially those who want larger screens. From a quick google search, found this on ebay. Not sure what dealers sell them, but easy enough to find in Europe. This ebay one, at $2,499, seems good value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-F110E-3D-D-ILA-HD-Projector-NEW-BOX-/160946568547?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item257929bd63#ht_2452wt_917
post #19 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
looks fantastic smile.gif
post #20 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

There is a brighter JVC and its been out a couple of years. Marketed more towards commercial installations, plantariums and the like. Its basically an RS50/X7 with the following differences:

White chassis only
Lumens increased to 1700

Could be quite a good buy under certain circumstances, especially those who want larger screens. From a quick google search, found this on ebay. Not sure what dealers sell them, but easy enough to find in Europe. This ebay one, at $2,499, seems good value:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-F110E-3D-D-ILA-HD-Projector-NEW-BOX-/160946568547?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item257929bd63#ht_2452wt_917

Keep in mind that it can not do anamorphic mode 3D and it uses the IR glasses that have been discontinued. Would like to know best mode calibrated lumens. It uses 220 watt lamp and the new RS models use a 230 watt lamp. The lower contrast should help brightness, but giving up some contrast. Not sure I would like the trade off for what I think could be minimal added brightness. Anybody know actual lumen numbers for this model?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #21 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

White chassis only
Lumens increased to 1700

Thanks....Very interesting. I too would like to know calibrated lumens but if the higher brightness does hurt contrast that wouldn't be good.

Mike

post #22 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Keep in mind that it can not do anamorphic mode 3D and it uses the IR glasses that have been discontinued. Would like to know best mode calibrated lumens. It uses 220 watt lamp and the new RS models use a 230 watt lamp. The lower contrast should help brightness, but giving up some contrast. Not sure I would like the trade off for what I think could be minimal added brightness. Anybody know actual lumen numbers for this model?

I believe the IR emitter and PK-AG2 glasses are still available? But I also understood that the new RF emitter works with ANY of the current chassis design projectors

I would be very wary though. The X7/RS50 had a significant design flaw. Due to the choice of panel filters internally, the difference between MAX lumens and calibrated lumens was insane. On the 1300 lumens version, calibrated it was typically 45-50% drop! Assuming the filters are the same on this "special" model, that means going from 1700 to 850 lumens. Out of the box an RS55 or RS56 are around 900 lumens...so there is no gain here and of course a loss of contrast. However it is a stonking price for a brand new JVC projector.
post #23 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Coderguy,

I would like to thank you very much for doing the A/B (between the 45 & 55). It saved me the trouble. For many of the reasons you state, I will be sticking with my RS45. I also have a unit with excellent convergence. The E-shift is not particularly meaningful to me as I cannot see the pixel grid from my seated position. I also have a Darbee (which works very well with my setup) and I am very happy with my current PQ and sounds like I would not extract much from an upgrade. I will wait another two years for 4K to mature, content to develop and time to elapse to get the standardization process finalized.

Many thanks!

John
post #24 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing I found after seeing a number of 55's and current 4810's - the better the focus uniformity, the better the e-shift results are. This makes sense when you think about how the e-shift process works.

I saw a 4810 with average focus and the e-shift results were mediocre. Another sample was nearly as perfect as my RS55 and you can definitely see a nice improvement when the e-shift was turned on.

This is one of the main reasons I kept my RS55, finding golden samples can be a challenge. If you get lucky, they should include one of these in the box:

golden-ticket.png
post #25 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I saw people comment that motion was a bit better but I can't see it to be honest.

I was never happy with the 3D crosstalk performance on last years range. We are all seeing the same thing, unlike suggestions that projectors vary (when the bulb is new). But our brains process it differently. Some people just don't tune into it and filter it out...others get distracted by it. The newer models are better for this....there is no doubt!

E-shift 1 has less options and for smaller screens it would have been nice to crank it up more. E-shift 2 has many more options, but it tends to crank up too easily and then it looks digital. So some prefer e-shift 1. On my smaller screen I find e-shift 2 performs just as well, if not better than e-shift 1. But if you are not careful it does seem to take a "digital" look more easily

E-shift 2 also maintains the ANSI contrast of the lower models. E-shift 1 reduced the ANSI contrast due to its optical characteristics.

So in summary, differences between RS55 and RS56
1) 3D performance
2) Contrast ratio from 80k to 90k:1
3) Auto-calibration using custom JVC software and a Spyder 3/4 sensor
4) E-shift 2 vs 1
5) iOS application to control the projector via network connection
6) More lens position presets
7) Better bulb with longer life and slower degradation

"Auto-calibration using custom JVC software and a Spyder 3/4 sensor"

I am kind of in the same boat trying to justify the price difference between the entry model and a 4810/56. I don't see anything on JVC site about the auto calibration. can you go into more detail or point me to a link?

Also, looks like the Spyder has an Elit and Pro version? Any comments on either of these? Thanks!!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #26 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

The E-shift is not particularly meaningful to me as I cannot see the pixel grid from my seated position. I also have a Darbee (which works very well with my setup) and I am very happy with my current PQ and sounds like I would not extract much from an upgrade. I will wait another two years for 4K to mature, content to develop and time to elapse to get the standardization process finalized.

Many thanks!

John

There is more going on with e-shift than just eliminating the pixel structure. Coder should elaborate more on this if giving an opinion on an A/B comparison as many reviewers glazed over e-shift too quickly without providing details of what's happening to the image with this process.

The increase in pixel density creates a perception of increased detail & contrast in image. It's not the same as the darbee, it's actually quite different. The RS45 + Darbee is not the same result as e-shift. The Darbee is an excellent compliment to e-shift which I detailed last summer in the thread below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet/1410#post_22270091

For close seating distances, e-shift is a great stop-gap on the road to 4K. I wouldn't expect 4K projectors @ the current JVC pricing for several years.
post #27 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I would add that focus uniformity actually varies from unit to unit not just in terms of variance but also the zoom position and shift that you use! I have seen a JVC that had excellent short throw uniformity and bad long throw. I have also seen the opposite. So hunting for golden samples only works if you can try the projector out at the same throw distance and shift as you will use it. But I have never seen a projector that will be truly uniform at shortest throw. I am not actually sure it is possible because the image will use more of the periphery of the lens so you will always expect a sharp centre and slightly softer corners. At longer throw the image for a good lens will be more consistent across the frame but may not be quite as sharp in the middle as shortest throw.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

"Auto-calibration using custom JVC software and a Spyder 3/4 sensor"

I am kind of in the same boat trying to justify the price difference between the entry model and a 4810/56. I don't see anything on JVC site about the auto calibration. can you go into more detail or point me to a link?

Also, looks like the Spyder has an Elit and Pro version? Any comments on either of these? Thanks!!

The pro and elite are the same sensor...its just the bundled computer software which is not applicable to the projector calibration anyway. Also JVC's own software seems to be about maintaining the quality of the OUTPUT of the projector (i.e. its presets) and NOT about the final calibration including the screen (which is rarely pure and normally has some level of colour bias). The software has you put the sensor facing the projector and not the screen although you could try it the other way and see what happens.

This capability is not mentioned on the US JVC site for some reason. But it does appear on the UK one...scroll down the page

http://cdn.jvc.co.uk/dla-x95r/feature03.html#calibration

In Japan you could send away an X70/RS55 to JVC for an upgrade fee to get this capability added! This is not available anywhere else to my knowledge.
post #29 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

One thing I found after seeing a number of 55's and current 4810's - the better the focus uniformity, the better the e-shift results are. This makes sense when you think about how the e-shift process works.

I saw a 4810 with average focus and the e-shift results were mediocre. Another sample was nearly as perfect as my RS55 and you can definitely see a nice improvement when the e-shift was turned on.

This is one of the main reasons I kept my RS55, finding golden samples can be a challenge. If you get lucky, they should include one of these in the box:

golden-ticket.png

Jason,

You are making it even more difficult to conclude it makes sense to blindly "upgrade". If I I understand correctly, you are suggesting the resulting improvements from e-shift are in large part determined by focal uniformity and, underlying that, convergence. As such, without knowing what the "sample" will yield I would essentially be taking a gamble on whether there will be any improvement. I really appreciate your deep insight.

I have concluded that I am not willing to take the gamble. Lets face it, JVC's quality control has never been that exacting. Unfortunately, I can't assume that the projector I will get will offer better overall results than I currently have and on older model returns are frowned upon (restocking fees apply for me) and there would likely be no ability to exchange given limited inventory.

John
post #30 of 36 Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The pro and elite are the same sensor...its just the bundled computer software which is not applicable to the projector calibration anyway. Also JVC's own software seems to be about maintaining the quality of the OUTPUT of the projector (i.e. its presets) and NOT about the final calibration including the screen (which is rarely pure and normally has some level of colour bias). The software has you put the sensor facing the projector and not the screen although you could try it the other way and see what happens.

This capability is not mentioned on the US JVC site for some reason. But it does appear on the UK one...scroll down the page

http://cdn.jvc.co.uk/dla-x95r/feature03.html#calibration

In Japan you could send away an X70/RS55 to JVC for an upgrade fee to get this capability added! This is not available anywhere else to my knowledge.

Thanks for the link.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page