How is Gaming on a Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 70" Sony SXRD is on its last legs, and i'm looking at replacing it with the Sony HW50ES Projector and a 110" Screen. My main concern is how the projector will handle video games and lag time.

For those who use a PS3 and/or their XBOX360 with a projector how is the performance and lag time? Anyone know how the Sony Projector I'm looking it is for video games?

I would like to avoid having a secondary TV for video games, but will do so if needed. Thanks for any advice as I'm new to the projector world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
30ms lag, gaming is B I G on a projector, though I'm not a big gamer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #3 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, and I really liked your breakdown of the projectors. Seems like the Sony is a good fit for me as I do watch a lot of sports, and play games in addition to watching movies.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the credit goes to Zombie10k's shootout as well, I only tested directly about half the projectors I wrote about, though I did see 80% of them if you count at dealers (that helped me judge sharpness, but didn't help me A/B as much). Zombie filled in the gaps for me and allowed to make the list complete over the years as a better summary. He did the detailed reviews if you want to check out his thread, I just summarized, because that is what I am good at (and I had info he didn't have that I also found in my own tests).

-

post #5 of 16 Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2sp View Post

Thanks, and I really liked your breakdown of the projectors. Seems like the Sony is a good fit for me as I do watch a lot of sports, and play games in addition to watching movies.

Now you have a 2nd opinion. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I've played on my projector but I prefer a small screen for gaming.

Dont know why but a 19" or so widescreen monitor is perfect for me and gaming. The PS3 display is a perfect example.

I sometimes only game for half an hour and I wouldn't want to use my projector system for that.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I use my current VW95 for gaming every week (sometimes a bit every day). I have a 133" Hi Power 2.4 screen, and it is so much better than using a TV IMO. Immersion into a game like Skyrim/Fallout/Anything on my setup is great. I wouldn't want to go back to playing on my "puny" samsung 63"biggrin.gif

In all honesty, the first thing we put in to view after installing my projector was Modern Warfare 3, and it was pretty awesome. The sights on the gun were bigger than my head!
post #8 of 16 Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

It depends on the game you are playing and what not, some games are better than others on a projector, though they are all playable.

-

post #9 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Competitive gaming on FPS is a lot harder on large projection screens. But if you dont care about your KD ratio then thats another story as the big screen is fun just harder.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I use my projector as my primary TV which includes games. I've been gaming on a projector of one type or another (CRT then DLP) since 2000. Once you get used to it you'll never want to use a TV again. I wouldn't say that it's harder to play competitive games like online FPS', though I prefer Halo to purely twitch games like CoD, but you have to keep your viewing angles reasonable. I'd say anything closer than 1.5 screen widths and you're going to have issues picking up the HUD elements at the screen edges. For games that don't have a HUD or where it's not critical that you be able to pick it up clearly in your peripheral vision you can sit closer to increase the immersion factor. I've logged hundreds, if not thousands, of hours playing games of all types on a projector (except sports games, I gave those up a long time ago) and it's never been a problem. As with any display you plan to game on, input lag has to be considered, but the Sony is aces in that department, I'm planning on getting one myself later this month to replace my BenQ W6000, which is also very good in the lag department.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #11 of 16 Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate all the feedback, seems like gaming should be great on the sony projector I'm going to get. My favorite FPS is the Battlefield games, so I'm hopeful those will work well, seems like it should.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Something else I noticed when moving to the big screen for gaming... games like Madden are harder. The reason is that you actually have to look up/down/left/right more to see what is going on, at least that was the case for me.

Lots more fun in the theater though, the sound is awesome. Game like Battlefield on the big screen, with the full surround system in effect are just too much fun. Even though I play FPS better on the PC, I love playing them in the theater for that bigger effect and impact. I still recall the first Battlefield in the theater, the sounds were amazing.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The sound is the biggest improvement. But I get motion sickness trying to play FPS on a big screen, especially if the minimum frame rate dips. I liked it better for RTS where most the screen is relatively static and you're instead looking at things move on the screen vs everything in your view moving at once. Biggest downside is the resolution. Even my inexpensive 24" monitor is 1920x1200. Computer generated 1080p is sharper than video because it's basically uncompressed, but it still looks blurry compared to what you're used to on a monitor or even a TV. It's fun with friends, playing a racing game or something for a bit just for the novelty, but I gave up gaming on my projector.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I will admit playing BF3 on my 100" screen was pretty cool! I love 'sniping' people with the tank from long distances! I have the Sony Hw30 and I sometimes throw a Ps3 game in just to have some fun. Dead Space 1 & 2 were the most immersive games I have played with my projector, add great sound to it and the game becomes more 'real'.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #15 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Morning people, I recently bought a projector & learnt how to use Moviemaker... here's my setup - hope it helps! (leave a comment)

post #16 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjNarcis View Post

Morning people, I recently bought a projector & learnt how to use Moviemaker... here's my setup - hope it helps! (leave a comment)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwqXSa694rM

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv
Gear in this thread - R70xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page