Assembling a small theater room, requesting advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I am getting ready to turn a small room into a cozy theater room and was looking for advice. The room measures 11'8" x 14'6" with the projector going across the 11' span. The ceilings are 8'. I will be using the system primarily for bluray movies (mostly 2d) and some gaming. The room does have one window that contains blinds that are made for darkening and blackout curtains. It is very dark at night and still quite dark during the day. I will be repainting the room to a darker, non reflective color.
I have looked at the Epson 5010e and it seems very nice for the money. I also use a yammie rx-v673 and sw-450 sub and plan to buy new klipsch rf-62 (possibly rf-82.... Not sure what's overkill for this small room) surround speakers. As for screens, I'm ignorant on this topic but know I like clarity and vivid colors. I do want something that will still perform in less optimum light conditions and would be willing to sacrifice some detail for it. And while I don't have a hard and fast budget for a screen I would prefer a good value for the money. Also, can you get screens that retract? That would be preferred over a fixed screen, but again I'm not sure if that's possible.
So does this type of setup sound possible? Or do I need to go a different route with some of the components? What screen would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Liked: 26
Black diamond screens by screen innovation always do a wonderful job. If budget allows I 100% recommend them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Those look fantastic! Thanks!
post #4 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Personally, I'd never own another hanging screen. Fixed for me all the way. Even the slightest change in surface contour drives me insane. Literally, I can look past a hole in the screen and not ever have it bother me, not even see it. But all that change in gain from viewing angle variation is unacceptable.

Stretch one on a frame.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Instead of the Epson 5010e, whiy not purchase the current model 5020e. It has a few improvements over last year's model. On screens, while the Black Diamond is good in dealing with ambient light, it sounds like that is not much of a problem in your case and you could probably save some money and go with a conventional matte white screen with a gain of 1.0 to 1.3. If you are projecting across the 11 ft. span then I assume your max. viewing distance will only be 9.5 to 10 ft. In that case the appropriate screen size would be around 95 to 100 inches diagonal. Do you want an roll down screen or a fixed frame screen?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to go with a roll down. We have friend with a roll down screen and I've never been bothered by fluctuations so I think that will be the best choice for us. Also, I just found a fix to a problem tonight that will allow me to project across the longer 14' of the room. Thnk you for bringing up the 5020e, I didn't realize a new model had come out.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
I used a pull down for a while, a few years back. The fluctuations did bother me, but if you can see "past" them, then you should be ok there.

If you need to hide it, you can put the screen up inside a soffit, even a false soffit in the room might give you the option to make the screen disappear when not in use.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

You should consider a tensioned electric roll-down. There are imported models such as Elite, Visual Apex, etc. available for approx. $700 to $1K+ (depending on screen size) and lhe more expensive U.S. made screens from companies such as Da-lite, Stewart, Vutec, etc. These tensioned electric roll down screens stay flat without waves, but do cost more (but worth it in my opinion).

Ron Jones
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I went and looked up the tension screens, I agree I think that would be a better way to go. Do you think there is much advantage buying the American made brands which are more expensive?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyRobot View Post

I went and looked up the tension screens, I agree I think that would be a better way to go. Do you think there is much advantage buying the American made brands which are more expensive?

American screen manufacturers, such as Stewart, make premium quality screens at premium prices. Their electric models will be better mechanically than the inexpensive imports and they also offer a wide variety of high quality screen materials to choose from. Same is generally true for some of the Dalite screens but they also offer some more moderately priced models. In your case, with an Epson 5020 projector in a light controlled room, a basic matte white screen material with a gain of 1.0 to 1.3 would work fine and many of the budget import models offer decent quality screen materials of this type. Bottom line is the best of the American screen materials, such as the Stewart StudioTek 100 or 130, will probably be better than with any of the imports and if you are going to be raising and lowering the electric screen a lot then probably the more expensive screens will be more reliable (mechanically) in the long term. However, the overall projected image quality will certainly not be a day and night difference using a quality budget model vs. a premium American made screen and given the Epson 5020, while a good projector, but it is not considered a premium model, then it may make sense to budget perhaps $1K for the screen and then find which one within that budget has the best user reviews. i suggest you look over in the "screens" section here on the AVS Forum - HERE.

CrunchyRobot likes this.

Ron Jones
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Klipsch Sw 450 10 Inch 450watt Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page