Please help me choose a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

I'm finally getting to the point in my theater build (see sig) where I'm starting to think about projectors. I plan to have the thing operational by year's end. Here are my limitations:

1) projector to screen distance: about 18'

2) seating distances: about 12' and 16' (two rows of seats)

3) ambient light: typically mild- enough to see dinner while my wife and I eat. Light will come from LED rope lights under the walls. Occasionally, lights will be off (completely light controlled room).

4) screen: Stewart Grayhawk

5) screen size: 100"

I would assume that I need an overall fairly bright projector for ambient light control and to best illuminate the gray screen, but maybe not, given the smallish screen size. The JVCs look great, but will they be bright enough to work well in dim ambient light with a Grayhawk? If not, what other options should I consider?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
What is your budget for the projector?

Interested only in 2D or do you also want 3D?

Are the wall and ceiling painted a light color or a dark color?

Do you already have the screen? Note that for your indicated viewing distance a 120" screen would be more kdeal if you have the space.

How do you intend to use the projector (i.e, will you being using the projector only for regular TV viewing and the occasional movie, do you want to use it for gaming, etc)?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Hey Ron,

Budget: up to $7000, maybe $8k if the value is there. I'm primarily interested in 2D, but would like very good (if not class leading) 3D. The room will be a very dark color. I already own the 100" Grayhawk screen. I will watch mostly movies, maybe 5% TV and likely won't game.

Thanks,
John
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just got a JVC X95, it sounds like a X75 would fit your needs.

I haven't tried the 3d yet, but this updated one over last years is supposed to be much better. My theater will be done next week hopefully and I'd be able to confirm.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
I got an X75 a few months ago (moved from HD-950) and have had pretty good experience with it so far. In the plus column it has the obvious fantastic blacks and contrast ratio, great lens, bulb holds brightness VERY well (only have 140 hours so far and no loss at all). In the minus column it seems to have worse motion handling than my 950. In certain pan speeds it is pretty bad, and perhaps I am more sensitive to it, but I find it very distracting and pulls you out of the film quickly. This of course is my main complaint, the other being I had a bad convergence sample. The saving grace was that the supplied correction in the per pixel and zone controls made it almost a non issue. This of course could not be an issue at all if you get a good sample.

I also just had the opportunity to try 3D and it was better than I expected. Still find little use for it and I got my glasses/emitter for free, so just use it as the gimmick that I find it is.

If you can I would see if you can sample what JVC and Sony have to offer to see if the contrast of the JVC is more desirable than the motion handling of the Sony.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs66

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page