Lumagen Mini viable option for aspect control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looking for some feedback on using the Mini 3D for 2.35 to 16:9 aspect switching. I know there are several on the forums that own them for calibration but very few talk about the aspect switching.

I know it can do it, but was wondering if anybody had an opinion on the image quality vs using an A lens. The big benefit of having the lumagen do this would be also gaining the calibration capabilities for less than the cost of an A lens.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomdaf View Post

Looking for some feedback on using the Mini 3D for 2.35 to 16:9 aspect switching. I know there are several on the forums that own them for calibration but very few talk about the aspect switching.

I know it can do it, but was wondering if anybody had an opinion on the image quality vs using an A lens. The big benefit of having the lumagen do this would be also gaining the calibration capabilities for less than the cost of an A lens.

Thoughts? Opinions?

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you talking about using the Mini to scale the 16:9 image down to fit on a 2.35 screen for CIH? Because most people use the "zoom" method if they are not using an A lens so they retain the 1:1 pixel mapping. But if you wish to scale the 16:9 content down instead, all Lumagen processors are supposed to have excellent scalers. But the way I do it is not CIH because I don't have a 2.35 screen. Mine is 16:9 and I just leave the projector as is and use no scaling when switching between aspect ratios. I watch 2.35 from the front row and 16:9 from the back row.

So... what is the aspect ratio of your screen?

No matter how you do it, you're going to have to scale somewhere or "zoom" if you want CIH.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have a 2.35 screen. So was trying to see how the lumagen would look vs zoom. There are a limited number of PJs with auto zoom so this would open the door to a wider selection
post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do exactly what you are asking. I have a Sony VPL-HW50ES and a Lumagen Mini.

Using a Seymour 2.35:1 ratio screen with Center Stage XD fabric and it works great.

Can switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 at the press of a button. It also has a feature called NLS stretching where it essentially can fill a 2.35:1 screen with 16:9 content, which is nice for a movie like say Jurassic Park or Avatar when you want to maintain the wide screen experience. It is pretty effective in practice, looks much better than I would have envisioned - there are examples posted in the Video Processor forum and if you search on Youtube for "Brolic Beast" you can see examples of the video stretching that he posted. You can make very fine adjustments to the amount of stretching as well to customize it to your tastes.

In terms of image quality loss using the Lumagen to scale down to 16:9 (so I zoom to 2.35 and use the Lumagen to scale to 16:9), it is very slight from what I have noticed, but admittedly I have only really done A vs B comparison on DirecTV content since 99% of my 16:9 viewing is sports related and as you know DirecTV content isn't exactly the highest quality content. You can watch sports stretched to 2.35:1 using the NLS I mention above as well

I'd say I love it in practice thus far with as you said the calibration features that the unit has.

There are those on here with far more expertise than I on all of the above (Mike from AVS for example was a great help when I was researching various options - suggest you give him a shout) or look in the video processor forum as there is a great thread on the Lumagen there I believe.

Hope that helps
post #5 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Autreym! That's exactly the feedback I was hoping for. I'm also using a Seymour AV screen. How wide is your screen and how are you liking the Sony overall?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I LOVE the Sony, picture quality is amazing in pretty much every respect. I was mildly concerned about brightness since I was using a relatively lower gain AT screen and do watch some 3D but it really looks fantastic. Would highly recommend it and it pairs perfectly with the Lumagen as I note above.

My screen is 135 inch diagonal 2.35:1 so my image is slightly more than 124 inches wide (roughly 124.2" x 52.9").

If I could have gotten away with it I would have gone even larger on the screen but I was concerned about brightness levels.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also have a Mini3D and use it exactly as you described, my projector (Sony VW85) doesn't have a lens memory so the Mini3D helps a lot in this matter. Just switch between the different aspect ratios with a single click on the remote.
I also use the NLS feature for 16:9 movies and i think it does a great job, personally i don't mind the small distortion of picture and rather fill my entire 2.35:1 screen without any black borders.

Havn't seen any noticeable pq loss using the Mini3D vs zooming with the projector.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page