larger living room 19' throw. Epson 6020? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys, I currently have the Epson 5010 with a .8 gain black diamond zero edge screen "100" at 13' throw.. It's amazing with ambient light as I have white ceilings and walls, and a sliding glass window making up my left wall.. pictures amazing.

In august I'm moving to a new house with a larger living room. But for WAF reasons the projector will be close to the back wall at 19' throw (wall is 21' apart)

Using the calculators out there http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_5020UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=7168

I think I need a 124" screen? Also with a 9' ceiling how low from the ceiling? My wife would of course love it as close to the ceiling as possible but I believe with the black diamond I need to stay as center as possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Moving from 13' to 19' throw distance will result in a lumen drop of about 4.1, which means you might need to run it in high lamp mode? 13'= 15.2 fls 19'= 11.9 fls. Fairly significant on an older bulb. I don't think the screen size increase if the answer, as that will drop the lumens even further. Using the 100" screen, but upping to a gain of 1.0 at 19 foot throw, you'd get around 14.8 fls in eco mode.

I'd keep the screen and see if running the pj in high mode is going to be an issue or not. It will be a little loud, but then you can decide if a screen change is necessary, and you will be able to see if the higher mounting position your wife wants, will affect the image and viewing cone area, as much as you think. Keep the wife happy.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
If your new room still has ambient light and light color walls/ceiling to deal with, then why don't you go with the 1.4 gain Black Diamond with perhaps a screen size of around 120 inches.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Moving from 13' to 19' throw distance will result in a lumen drop of about 4.1, which means you might need to run it in high lamp mode? 13'= 15.2 fls 19'= 11.9 fls. Fairly significant on an older bulb. I don't think the screen size increase if the answer, as that will drop the lumens even further. Using the 100" screen, but upping to a gain of 1.0 at 19 foot throw, you'd get around 14.8 fls in eco mode.

I'd keep the screen and see if running the pj in high mode is going to be an issue or not. It will be a little loud, but then you can decide if a screen change is necessary, and you will be able to see if the higher mounting position your wife wants, will affect the image and viewing cone area, as much as you think. Keep the wife happy.

I'm only thinking larger screen since the throw on the projector on the calculators say at 19' It NEEDS to be 120" and larger or am I wrong? yes, realize that I lose lumens the further it is out. I'll try to move it up and get WAF smile.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

If your new room still has ambient light and light color walls/ceiling to deal with, then why don't you go with the 1.4 gain Black Diamond with perhaps a screen size of around 120 inches.

Yeah I made the mistake for some reason thinking black diamond screens .8 was better on bright rooms.. I might have to invest in a 120" 1.4. but damn it's getting expensive!
post #6 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I'm only thinking larger screen since the throw on the projector on the calculators say at 19' It NEEDS to be 120" and larger or am I wrong? yes, realize that I lose lumens the further it is out. I'll try to move it up and get WAF smile.gif

You might be looking at something wrong, it doesn't have to be 120".
post #7 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

You might be looking at something wrong, it doesn't have to be 120".

Agreed, you might want to check those numbers again, I don't see that you would need to be at that screen size. I've not used the 6020 myself, but it looks to have a pretty decent range.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 245
According to that calculator, at 19', you can have a picture as small as 91" diagonal and as large as 195" diagonal. The lens on this unit has a LOT of zoom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
That's correct, my calc shows the same measurements. Though I am all calculated out right now smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot guys. I was obviously using the calculator wrong.

With the Epson 5020, what size black diamond 1.4 should I go with? keep my 100" 0.8 or upgrade to a 110" 1.4? or 120" 1.4? (is 120" too big for that projector during the day?)

thanks!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 53

You are fine with the 100" screen at that throw distance.  You will lose some lumens being at the further end of the zoom, but you can just use a brighter mode if it is too dim.  100" is still relatively small and I would keep what you have and not  change to the 1.4.  

post #12 of 12 Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Yeah I made the mistake for some reason thinking black diamond screens .8 was better on bright rooms.. I might have to invest in a 120" 1.4. but damn it's getting expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

You are fine with the 100" screen at that throw distance.  You will lose some lumens being at the further end of the zoom, but you can just use a brighter mode if it is too dim.  100" is still relatively small and I would keep what you have and not  change to the 1.4.  

If the seating location is 12 ft. (or more) from the screen then a 120" (diagonal) screen would be more ideal size wise. However, if you already own the 100" Black Diamond, gain 0.8 screen then give it a try and see if you are satisfied with that size. If you want to move up to the 120" size I would go with a higher gain screen. Staying with BD screens then a 120" gain 1.4 screen should not give you any dropoff in brightness as compared with your current 100" gain 0.8 screen,

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page