Long throw projector replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I had a Marantz VP12S4 long-throw installed in 2005. I've been through a few lamps and starting to think about a replacement. I'm not going to be spending $13K again for sure, but I will consider under $5K, hopefully more like $4K. I don't really care much about 3D, if it happens to be in the feature set, so be it. Would certainly like something brighter. The distance from projector to screen is about 22 feet and the projector is up in the ceiling so it needed a good amount of lens shift (had to mount upside down to get enough). Screen is 8 ft.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupap View Post

Hi all, I had a Marantz VP12S4 long-throw installed in 2005. I've been through a few lamps and starting to think about a replacement. I'm not going to be spending $13K again for sure, but I will consider under $5K, hopefully more like $4K. I don't really care much about 3D, if it happens to be in the feature set, so be it. Would certainly like something brighter. The distance from projector to screen is about 22 feet and the projector is up in the ceiling so it needed a good amount of lens shift (had to mount upside down to get enough). Screen is 8 ft.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Does the screen have a 16 x 9 aspect ratio and is the 8 ft. size the diagonal size or the width?

What is the vertical position of the projector relative to the top of the screen's viewing area?

Is the projector centered horizonal with the screen (i.e, no horizontal lens shift needed)?

There are very few moderate priced projectors (i.e., under $5K) designed for home theater use that offer a long throw capability. Freqently projectors that do offer a long throw lens option are not being sold for home theater use, but rather for commercial/business use.

You might be able to use an external conversion lens, such as the Navitar SST150, which essentially reduces the image size by 33% thus allowing use of a projector whose own lens does not have a long enough throw. However such an external conversion lens costs $2K+.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Does the screen have a 16 x 9 aspect ratio and is the 8 ft. size the diagonal size or the width?.

Yes, 16:9, and 8 feet wide.
Quote:
What is the vertical position of the projector relative to the top of the screen's viewing area?

The projector is approximately 8 feet off the ground, and the top of the screen is at 7 feet.
Quote:
Is the projector centered horizonal with the screen (i.e, no horizontal lens shift needed)?

Yes.

Here is a file that shows the setup:
living room elevations.pdf 67k .pdf file

Thanks for the info on the limited availability for long throw--bummer to hear, of course. Sounds like this will be an expensive replacement? Would it be worth it?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf living room elevations.pdf (67.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
If you're looking to stick with DLP, at $4000 I'd give some serious consideration to the Runco LS-3. A good non DLP at that price would be the JVC DLA-RS4810. A cheaper alternative would be the Sony HW50ES but I think both projectors mentioned prior would put out a more pleasing overall picture.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupap View Post

Yes, 16:9, and 8 feet wide.
The projector is approximately 8 feet off the ground, and the top of the screen is at 7 feet.
Yes.

Here is a file that shows the setup:
living room elevations.pdf 67k .pdf file

Thanks for the info on the limited availability for long throw--bummer to hear, of course. Sounds like this will be an expensive replacement? Would it be worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If you're looking to stick with DLP, at $4000 I'd give some serious consideration to the Runco LS-3. A good non DLP at that price would be the JVC DLA-RS4810. A cheaper alternative would be the Sony HW50ES but I think both projectors mentioned prior would put out a more pleasing overall picture.

With an 8 ft. wide screen and throw distance of 22 ft.. you need a projector than can support a Throw Ratio of 2.75. The Runco and Sony projectors mentioned cannot do this and would require an expensive aux. lens, such as the Navitar that I mentioned in my previous post. Runco does offer the LS-3 with a short throw lens, but not a long throw lens. The JVC RS4810 might just be able to support that throw distance at the extreme end of its zoom range. The more ideal solution would be to ceiling mount the projector perhaps 3 to 5 feet closer to the screen as this would allow many of the popular projectors to be used.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

With an 8 ft. wide screen and throw distance of 22 ft.. you need a projector than can support a Throw Ratio of 2.75..

The Sharp 30K would work in this situation. The max throw ratio for it is 2.87, and you can find it under $2K on various deals sites. It is a great projector for the amount it sells for now.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The more ideal solution would be to ceiling mount the projector perhaps 3 to 5 feet closer to the screen as this would allow many of the popular projectors to be used.

Thank you Ron--the reason for the projector placement was the tradeoff between throw distance and lens shift, as you can see in the elevations the ceiling is pitched so the closer to the screen, the higher the projector sits requiring more shift downwards. The installation is low-profile, with the projector inside a trapdoor with a peephole for the beam, I didn't want it visible and hanging down from the ceiling.

Thanks all for insights into this somewhat difficult setup!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 PM

I think both projectors mentioned prior would put out a more pleasing overall picture.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
With 22' of throw and a 8' wide 16:9 image, The JVC's can shoot that size at that distance and they have enough vertical lens shift to hit your screen. No external add on lens is needed. As for HT projectors with long throw lens, there are several HT projectors that are not commercial units to choose from, but none at this price point. Many of the Sim2 projectors are available with long throw lens,

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector