Calculator Lumens Accuracies - A Deeper Look - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Since there has been some debate lately about the accuracy of calculators (no problem), then I figured I would post this thread as clarification.

For the Epson 5020, according to the PJC Calculator, the Epson 5020 is doing 33 fL at closest throw for a 110" screen.
This same calculator, claims the RS-45 is doing 18fL at closest throw.

OK so maybe they didn't use the best mode on the Epson, maybe they used a Dynamic mode.
They definitely used the BEST Mode of the JVC.

They did not disclose the modes however.

My calculator is reporting 21 fL for the JVC at closest throw, and about 18 fL for the Epson, both for best modes.

I can give many more examples like this.

I am not trying to diss their calculator, my point though is very simple, if you trust their numbers, then you are comparing different modes each time you change projectors.

Just my thoughts....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Yes, I do not use that calculator, for that very reason. The 5020 has been measured in best mode mid zoom high lamp, calibrated at 675 lumens. The JVC (RS45) in the same setup has measured 891 lumens. Clearly they are not using best mode lumens on the Epson.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Mike,

Thanks a lot for the comments. My calculator will also get more refined in the upcoming versions. Right now I usually take Zombie 10k's measurements, sometimes my own (if I had a PJ), and other reviewers, I then average those 3-5 measurements and round off. So you might see 850 at PR, but like 925 on mine occasionally (or the other way around). Though generally I'll be pretty close to PR even after averaging.

I think PR and Cine usually has the most accurate numbers (though not always). Some sources measured the Epson a bit higher, but I averaged it out around 700 at mid-zoom. The numbers I posted though were for LOW LAMP, the 700 is for HIGH.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page