Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi,

Mods please tell me if this belongs in a different section.

I wanted to buy a new bulb from my Sony VPLVW60 and projectorcentral has projectorlampsource listed as a good supplier.

All the bulbs I have used to date have been original Phillips bulbs with Phillips and some other bits of information stamped directly to the bulb.
(I could try to show that with pictures but the Stamp may be hard to show .... I could try though if requested.)

Projectorlamps souce claims to be a partner with Phillips and claims to sell original bulbs but they send me a generic bulb that was half as bright (as measured with a lux meter) as the 2000 hour bulb I was replacing.

The bulb was a different design from my Phillips bulbs also...The bulb looked different and the filament design was different.

I just want to put the heads up because that site claimed to be affiliated with Phillips which I suppose is possible but they must be one of several sources they get bulbs from and what I received was a generic bulb that was vastly inferior.

I have 4 "old" Phillips bulbs still here as I have been keeping the bulbs I replace and there is no doubt they sent me a bulb they thought was compatible but it was not a Phillips bulb and does not perform like one.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All four of my previous bulbs have Phillips stamped on the bulb in this picture. The filiment design is also different on the knock off bulb they sent me.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Whenever dealing with any of these online companies, I always check with resellerratings first.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Projector_Lamp_Source

most reputable online companies have some kind of presence there, for good or for bad.
post #4 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ALWAYS buy from AVS, if they carry it, is my motto.

Great service + great prices = Peace of mind

I'm sorry to hear about your lamp issue btw. smile.gif

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #5 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Whenever dealing with any of these online companies, I always check with resellerratings first.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Projector_Lamp_Source

most reputable online companies have some kind of presence there, for good or for bad.

I clicked that link and the review on there is exactly my experience. Exactly.

Thanks for the link.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Tom

I understand. I trust AVS,.. This company claimed to have Phillips bulbs though at a fair price, its simply a scam.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What a sad world we live in. It amazes me the number of people without a conscience out there.

Is there any possible way you could get your money back?

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #8 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe.

It doesn't bother me much getting ripped off. If I can prevent others from getting ripped off,... I find it worth it.

I may be able to do a charge back via the credit card company. I've heard of such but I'm not familiar. It's simply counterfeit goods.

You have third party bulbs on amazon for $70 and actual replacement bulbs for about $300 and then this company that claims to have the correct item for $150. They sell the third party bulbs but have lots of information about the real deal and pretend they offer that at the more reasonable price.

I'm not into $300/ bulb actually. A good friend of mine bought a nice projector new for $340. I bought a nice plasma for about $340 as well. So $300/ bulb doesn't really work for me. In the past I bought bare bulbs from eBay for around $70 and they were identical in price and performance to the pjs original bulb.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Tom

I reinforce this point most strongly!
post #10 of 21 Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Sorry to hear this Brian. Nobody wants to pay too much for a lamp, but nobody wants a subpar lamp either. Sometimes I can get bare OEM lamp for less, sometimes not. But I would never mess with ( or send our customers ) anything but an original OEM lamp. In fact, I tried a new supplier of bare OEM lamps by buying one myself for my Lumis.I took one for the team. eek.gif It works great ! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #11 of 21 Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered a Lamp for my HC3800 that blew last night, Wish I thought of checking here before I ordered this morning, after seeing this thread called to discuss it with them and they claim it IS an original lamp inside, but the outside assembly is assembled at a different location than a Mitsubishi factory?

I could have bought another knock off cheaper, and was going on the fact they say it is a "Genuine original lamp" which they`re still sticking to.

She also said my lamp blowing was not a lamp issue but projector issue which makes it sound like they don`t really know as much as they should. My lamp had 6000+ hours and dimmed noticeably yesterday before it blew, so pretty much assume it is just the lamp, never had any projector issues prior.

Gonna take a chance here and see how it pans out, considering the Projector itself is not worth much at this point,(though I still enjoy it immensely) if it holds me over till I can get a 3D Projector next year, fine by me.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any place that sells bare unhoused bulbs should be Scrutinized...usually OEMS come in a housing...
post #13 of 21 Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
My lamp had 6000+ hours and dimmed noticeably yesterday before it blew, so pretty much assume it is just the lamp, never had any projector issues prior.

6000 hours? eek.gif
Quote:
Any place that sells bare unhoused bulbs should be Scrutinized...usually OEMS come in a housing...

Not necessarily. You just have to know where to get the bare OEM lamp. And they aren't available for everything.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #14 of 21 Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, 6000 HRS on low lamp mode...That's why I love Mitsubishi Projectors, the Lamps last forever and don`t seem to dim much even when they`re close to expiring,

I just wanted to follow up on my experience, it indeed was just the Lamp and the new replacement is working great. The picture and colors are vivid again, would buy another again without hesitation, for the price not bad at all.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM

Liked: 11
I got burned over the ``genuine`` BenQ 60.J5016.CB1 replacement lamp for my Ben Q projector. It`s hard to know what you are getting over the Net. I should have known better since you get what you pay for and it was cheaper than other from other places. The lamp didn`t work properly and my projector kept shutting down after it was installed. It may have been advertised as compatible but it wasn`t. I did some research and ended up buying a second BenQ 60.J5016.CB1 from discount-merchant.com. I called them before buying and was re-assured they are selling authentic OEM lamps. If you`ve been burned by other companies, check out this one. It`s worth the extra bit of money.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

JJ89 how did the gaming go? I hope you had fun. I found this newer post and it got me thinking that I have never exchanged the lamp on my Panasonic PT-AE7000U. Hopefully I wont have to order one in a long time from now! But if I do I will lookup this post.

post #17 of 21 Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Hey Jack,
Yeah this projector rocks for gaming. The graphics are the best I have seen. Totally satisfied with this choice. I debated about this projector for the price as there are cheaper alternatives out the but I think it was the right decision. Really has added something to my game. Optoma also has great customer service as well. Downloaded the manual so can keep this baby working at its top level. Game on!
post #18 of 21 Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM

Just thought I would pass this along - I purchased a spare bulb for my Dad's Mitsubishi HC5 recently from ProjectorLampSource. The bulb had no manufacturer markings on it, but I was assured it was an OEM bulb. The bulb lasted 23 hours before failing. That being said, ProjectorLampSource did return the bulb and provided a full refund including shipping.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
On the other side, PureLandSupply is where I've purchased the last two bare lamps for my Planar 8150. They are identical/original Osram lamps. I think I started buying there because for some reason I was unable to buy them directly from Planar at the time. I've been quite happy with their service/product. Though I will say it's not entirely obvious which lamp to buy, when you search for the 8150 there, you're brought to something that costs more than buying direct from Planar (and it looks like the picture is wrong), but I found the number for the bare OEM lamp in the Planar 8150 thread here.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #20 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM

I've had really good service with Discount Merchant. Their lamps seems to last longer and they have great customer service. Very happy with them. I did purchase once (long time ago though) from ProjectorLampSource and had no problems. I hope they haven't started selling generics! There is enough of that crap over at ebay and Amazon. Why are they even allowed to sell these crappy lamps? I am looking at Plasma TVs though - although I like my set up with the RPTV and projector, I am wondering if switching to a plasma will eliminate the need for bulbs. It does get to be a pain in the butt changing them. Anyone else thinking of switching?
JJ
post #21 of 21 Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

On the other side, PureLandSupply is where I've purchased the last two bare lamps for my Planar 8150. They are identical/original Osram lamps. I think I started buying there because for some reason I was unable to buy them directly from Planar at the time. I've been quite happy with their service/product. Though I will say it's not entirely obvious which lamp to buy, when you search for the 8150 there, you're brought to something that costs more than buying direct from Planar (and it looks like the picture is wrong), but I found the number for the bare OEM lamp in the Planar 8150 thread here.

I also have purchased for PureLandSupply several times as well. Always genuine Osram lamps with zero quality issues. Not the cheapest but worth it if you like to change out your own lamp assembly.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw60 Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page