0.95" Darkchip 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I am looking for a nice single chip DLP projector that uses the 0.95" DC3 chip. Besides the Planar PD8150, Sharp XV-Z20000, Runco LS-5, and the Benq W20000, what other units use this chip?
*UFO* is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Many of the Marantz projectors, such as the 11S1, 11S2 and 15S1. Also some of the older Marantz 720P projectors, like the 12S4.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 05-11-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I have owned the following .95" DLP DMD projectors:

.95" DC2:
Runco LS-1
BenQ W5000
Samsung SP-A800B

.95" DC3
Marantz VP-11S1
Marantz VP-15S1
Planar PD8150
Sim2 D80
Sharp XV-Z20000
InFocus IN82

DC4:
InFocus IN83
NuVision ProVu P2

If you're okay with the occasional clipped whites that a DI can cause the Planar PD8150 (Runco LS-5) is the best all around performer. If you're looking for something that has great contrast with a manual iris, from what I've seen, the Sharp 20k is by far the best. Out of all the projectors mentioned I like the Planar the best, the NuVision P2 second best, the Sharp 20k next, Marantz VP15S1 next, and then the Runco LS-1. All of those look and perform amazingly. Each one has a specific strength that you may like more than I do. If you want to know more about a specific one listed please let me know and I can go a bit more into detail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #4 of 26 Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would agree. It is hard to beat a good single chip DLP. All the aforementioned projectors are top notch.
12GAGE is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
danieledmunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Others that also might be worth looking for:

0.95" DC3
Sim2 HT380

DC4
Sim2 HT3000
Samsung A900B

The current DIgital Projection M-vision Cine range use 0.95" chips as well.

danieledmunds is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rabident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone know the difference between the 0.95" consumer chips vs the 0.98" cinema chips? Is the only difference the resolution or are they completely different chips following different technology paths?

 

 

rabident is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Anyone know the difference between the 0.95" consumer chips vs the 0.98" cinema chips? Is the only difference the resolution or are they completely different chips following different technology paths?

I thought the 2K cinema DLP DMDs were 1.2"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #8 of 26 Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rabident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There are 3 versions of 2k cinema chips:

0.69"
0.98"
1.2"

 

 

rabident is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
armstrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: sarnia, ontario, Canuckland
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's an impre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I have owned the following .95" DLP DMD projectors:

.95" DC2:
Runco LS-1
BenQ W5000
Samsung SP-A800B

.95" DC3
Marantz VP-11S1
Marantz VP-15S1
Planar PD8150
Sim2 D80
Sharp XV-Z20000
InFocus IN82

DC4:
InFocus IN83
NuVision ProVu P2

If you're okay with the occasional clipped whites that a DI can cause the Planar PD8150 (Runco LS-5) is the best all around performer. If you're looking for something that has great contrast with a manual iris, from what I've seen, the Sharp 20k is by far the best. Out of all the projectors mentioned I like the Planar the best, the NuVision P2 second best, the Sharp 20k next, Marantz VP15S1 next, and then the Runco LS-1. All of those look and perform amazingly. Each one has a specific strength that you may like more than I do. If you want to know more about a specific one listed please let me know and I can go a bit more into detail.
impressive list!

I'm toying with putting up a wanted add in the classifieds for a used .95 DMD PJ to ride out the 4k storm and I'm sure any if these would please me but bulb replacement concerns me (I'm a CRT guy currently...5 plus yrs and no bulb issues on my current whip)

Do these all take the same bulbs? I have seen someone post that replacements for the ls5 can be had for 150...and another poster said the dpi's replacement is $600… ouch! Especially when the rated life is 2000 hrs and many swap then long before they get that far
armstrr is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Each projector is different so each will need it's own specific bulb. I have an Knoll Systems HDP460, which is a rebranded Infocus IN83, for sale. This projector has the .95" DarkChip 4 in it. It will offer the best native contrast one can get for under $30000 in a DLP projector. It's very bright too so you'll most likely end up closing down the manual iris to tame some of the brightness. This will increase the perceived contrast quite a bit more. PM me if you're interested.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11 of 26 Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post

That's an impre
impressive list!

I'm toying with putting up a wanted add in the classifieds for a used .95 DMD PJ to ride out the 4k storm and I'm sure any if these would please me but bulb replacement concerns me (I'm a CRT guy currently...5 plus yrs and no bulb issues on my current whip)

Do these all take the same bulbs? I have seen someone post that replacements for the ls5 can be had for 150...and another poster said the dpi's replacement is $600… ouch! Especially when the rated life is 2000 hrs and many swap then long before they get that far

We were also looking for a DLP to get us to the affordable 4K era.
We went with the Sharp Z30K. If bulb cost is a concern, replacements are available for $130 or less. Also, the Z30K comes with a 3 year warranty. That should just about coincide with 4K in the $4k price range...wink.gif
humbland is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a DLP 0'95 DMD and i have the opprtunity to buy one of these models:

BENQ W5000
SIM2 DOMINO D80

I am going to project on a 120 inches white screen with no gain, and the walls and roof near screen are masked in black.

My principal doubt is about the luminosity of DOMINO D80, i read it has 900 lumens and i am afraid that its image can be floppy. Other worry about D80 is that in its specifications does not figure 1080P 24fps as a supported resolution.

About Benq W5000 i have not many worries, i found a lot of info in this and others webs.

Thanks.

ander77 is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Verbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Many of the Marantz projectors, such as the 11S1, 11S2 and 15S1. Also some of the older Marantz 720P projectors, like the 12S4.

The 11S2 was DC4 smile.gif
Verbow is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
danieledmunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ander77 - the D80 definitely supports 1080p 24fps. The other thing to consider is if this is a D80 or D80E - the D80E uses Unishape to help the contrast and makes the projector slightly brighter (at least that is what people were saying in 2008). I would expect the lens and colour reproduction to be better on the D80 compared to a Benq W5000
As far as brightness goes its hard to say how they compare without some measurements but I doubt they would be very different.

danieledmunds is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

Ander77 - the D80 definitely supports 1080p 24fps. The other thing to consider is if this is a D80 or D80E - the D80E uses Unishape to help the contrast and makes the projector slightly brighter (at least that is what people were saying in 2008). I would expect the lens and colour reproduction to be better on the D80 compared to a Benq W5000
As far as brightness goes its hard to say how they compare without some measurements but I doubt they would be very different.

You'd think that because it's a Sim2 projector, but I was never really all that impressed with image sharpness on the D80. I'd say it looks similar to the InFocus IN83. The BenQ W5000 has the sharper looking image, but it has far less contrast available to it compared to the D80. The D80 doesn't have 24p support in it's EDID but you can force it and it will frame double and output at 48hz.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
danieledmunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK, interesting, didn't know about the 24p support, at least when I saw Sim2 demos where they played a Blu Ray it looked smoother than other projectors that didn't support 1080p24. Of course, that was quite a while ago... I never got a chance to see them side by side, obviously less difference than I thought. Was the colour noticeably better on the Sim2 or was the difference fairly minor as well?

danieledmunds is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

You'd think that because it's a Sim2 projector, but I was never really all that impressed with image sharpness on the D80. I'd say it looks similar to the InFocus IN83. The BenQ W5000 has the sharper looking image, but it has far less contrast available to it compared to the D80. The D80 doesn't have 24p support in it's EDID but you can force it and it will frame double and output at 48hz.
That's a surprise for me, i thought Benq had higher contrast than Sim2. Anyway, probably what else is worrying me is the luminosity of both, ¿any idea about it?
Thanks.

ander77 is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ander77 View Post

That's a surprise for me, i thought Benq had higher contrast than Sim2. Anyway, probably what else is worrying me is the luminosity of both, ¿any idea about it?

Nope. Even with the DI engaged the BenQ has a far higher black level. It uses one of the cheaper DC2 chips and the SIM2 D80 uses graded DC3 chips. On top of the chip, the D80 has a VERY efficient light path which is why you get better contrast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Nope. Even with the DI engaged the BenQ has a far higher black level. It uses one of the cheaper DC2 chips and the SIM2 D80 uses graded DC3 chips. On top of the chip, the D80 has a VERY efficient light path which is why you get better contrast.
Thanks!! You are doing this hard for me!! I was almost convinced in buying W5000, but what you told is making me hesitate.....

One thing surprise me about SIM is the throw, it is very short if compares to other DLP 0'95 DMD, and it is a good new thinking in futures home changes...


I have had several projectors, but i have so much curiosity to test one DLP 0'95 DMD, Do you think is a good option Domino D80? (I came from an Infocus SP8602)

Regards

Edit: I read again your last answer, it is contradictory (maybe my poor english...) you say that even without DI Benq black levels are better?? But after you say that Benq DC2 is a cheap one??

ander77 is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Coming from that InFocus model you'll notice higher native contrast and a sharper looking image. Personally, I would pass on the D80, but definitely see if I could get a D80E, which uses UniShape lamp technology which gives a brighter image with more contrast. Almost every .95" DMD DLP projector out there will have a more refined look to it compared to the InFocus you have now. Most of that refinement is through the use of higher quality optics, higher quality processing, and the larger DMD.

Here's my short list of favorite DLP projectors that I've owned

Planar PD8150
InFocus IN83
Marantz VP-15S1
NuVision ProVu P2

If you're interested I do have a rebranded Infocus IN83 for sale. Check the link in my signature for more info. It throws a gorgeous image.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #21 of 26 Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Coming from that InFocus model you'll notice higher native contrast and a sharper looking image. Personally, I would pass on the D80, but definitely see if I could get a D80E, which uses UniShape lamp technology which gives a brighter image with more contrast. Almost every .95" DMD DLP projector out there will have a more refined look to it compared to the InFocus you have now. Most of that refinement is through the use of higher quality optics, higher quality processing, and the larger DMD.

Here's my short list of favorite DLP projectors that I've owned

Planar PD8150
InFocus IN83
Marantz VP-15S1
NuVision ProVu P2

If you're interested I do have a rebranded Infocus IN83 for sale. Check the link in my signature for more info. It throws a gorgeous image.
Thanks a lot!! It's sure that is the D80 and not the D80E... I will try to see both projectors before taking a decision.

It is a pity, but these are the only 0,95 DMD that i can access, i have had an IN82 to test but it works bad and i had return it.

I would be pleased in see your IN83 but i am in Barcelona, so i think it won't be so good idea smile.gif

ander77 is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Summarizing:

Sharpest - Benq W5000.
Best Color - SIM2 D80.
Brightness - Probably the same

Here comes the main question:

Better black and dark scenes, W5000 or D80?
Best intrascene contrast, W5000 or D80?


Thanks!

ander77 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ander77 View Post

Summarizing:

Sharpest - Benq W5000.
Best Color - SIM2 D80.
Brightness - Probably the same

Here comes the main question:

Better black and dark scenes, W5000 or D80?
Best intrascene contrast, W5000 or D80?


Thanks!

The D80 will have better blacks and intrascene contrast which means it will perform better than BenQ. The BenQ is a little brighter, but not by a huge amount.
ander77 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #24 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Member
 
ander77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it a crazyness nowadays think about buying a 3DLP 720P (Infocus SP777 or SIM2 HT300) ?

Beyond romantic questions, have the 3DLP 720P any options to be compared to a single chip 1080P?

Thanks.

ander77 is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ander77 View Post

Is it a crazyness nowadays think about buying a 3DLP 720P (Infocus SP777 or SIM2 HT300) ?

Beyond romantic questions, have the 3DLP 720P any options to be compared to a single chip 1080P?

Thanks.

I'm very happy with my 777 that I replaced my jvc x70 with, aside from the contrast difference I love the 3 chip dlp look plus The motion on the jvc is nausiating
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I used to agree with ultra 150 pilot about JVC motion, but I can say that on my X90 and X55 motion with 24p content is now acceptable. I see no noticeable or excessive smearing. Before 2011 the several series prior had horrendous motion. It's now right around Sony's level of motion performance with roughly 300 lines of resolution. DLP is considerably higher but thats really only needed with higher fps material. I will admit that the motion resolution test is not the end all be all test for motion performance but it's usually a VERY good indication tool to gauge motion performance. Some are very sensitive to motion artifacts so LCoS projectors to those sensitive may not be good enough for them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector , Benq W5000 Dlp Projector 1200 Ansi Lumens 1920 X 1080 Widescreen Hi , Sharp Vision Xvz 20000 Hd Dlp Front Projector
Gear in this thread - W5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off