Did anyone try the new Xpand 105s with horizontal polarization for JVC yet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The new x105 universal glasses should be out this month - both in "regular" and "JVC"(with horizontal polarization).

Has anyone had an attempt to try them out yet and maybe compare to the official RF glasses from JVC??

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Noone in the US have them yet????
post #3 of 29 Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You won't get any responses.

I believe I am correct in saying that Ricky at Kalibrate in the UK is the first to get hold of these special X105s with horizontally polarized lenses.
post #4 of 29 Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just got the new Xpand X105 with horizontal polarization yesterday. With the JVC emitter, they work like a charm.

I tested them with Life of Pi last night. Great performance!

I am very happy with these- and very happy that I no longer need to get ripped off by JVC for 3D :-) :-) :-)

This just made me an even happier X30 owner.

THANKS RICKY!!!!!!!
post #5 of 29 Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

I just got the new Xpand X105 with horizontal polarization yesterday. With the JVC emitter, they work like a charm.

I tested them with Life of Pi last night. Great performance!

I am very happy with these- and very happy that I no longer need to get ripped off by JVC for 3D :-) :-) :-)

This just made me an even happier X30 owner.

THANKS RICKY!!!!!!!

Are you using IR xpand 105? Manual does not say these are supported with jvc or not.
post #6 of 29 Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Are you using IR xpand 105? Manual does not say these are supported with jvc or not.

New ones means RF, I would think.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, where can these Xpands be found in stock? Amazon is out and almost every other supplier I've found sources theirs through Amazon. Canadian Amazon has some in stock but they're $80+ shipped to TX, ay?

If you bought some and want to sell, please PM me.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

New ones means RF, I would think.

I think I have IR emitter fro jvc not sure model number. I checked order from amazon and found that I ordered the following from them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462RMS6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are working fine from two years. So, I am assuming that I need to get IR glasses on 105.

I am also suprised only amazon is selling those now.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I think I have IR emitter fro jvc not sure model number. I checked order from amazon and found that I ordered the following from them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00462RMS6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are working fine from two years. So, I am assuming that I need to get IR glasses on 105.

I am also suprised only amazon is selling those now.

So, the Xpand 105 used to be IR only, now they have an RF model: X105-RF-x1 It depends what your projector is compatible with.

The Xpand RF is instock at Xpand.com, but they want $69 + shipping for them...I guess they're holding shipments to Amazon until they can sell a few more for more than Amazon's price.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, the Xpand 105 used to be IR only, now they have an RF model: X105-RF-x1 It depends what your projector is compatible with.

The Xpand RF is instock at Xpand.com, but they want $69 + shipping for them...I guess they're holding shipments to Amazon until they can sell a few more for more than Amazon's price.

I have JVC RS40 projector. I found from jvc that it supports both IR and RF emitters. I have IR emitter. They told me that their RF emitter model#PK EM2 works with glasses from JVF PK-AG3. I am guessing they recently started supporting RF since I don't recollect having an option when I bought my emitter.

I never had problem to use IR. They said RF is more reliable. Not sure if there is any quality difference to user IR vs RF other than reliability.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

So far I've been able to get both the Xpand 105-RF and the Samsung SSG5100GB to work! First I sync'd the Xpand-105-RF-1x (beware they arrived with 0% charge, plug the in for 5 min. and they'll sync) so I knew they pj and emmitter were working then tried the Samsungs. Anyway, both of these glasses do work with the new 2014 JVC projectors (I have the RS4910). 3D mode was set to Auto and worked for both types of glasses. I bought 2 pairs of Xpand 105-RFs and 2 pairs on Samsungs, for the kids, for less than 1 pair of JVCs.

Also, these glasses came in the box and were labeled "RF Lite", I only mention this because I passed on several pairs on ebay that were much cheaper, lots of 4-12 pairs for a couple hundred bucks. These should all work. Whether or not they're as bright as the stock JVC ones, we'll see.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-24-2014, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

So far I've been able to get both the Xpand 105-RF and the Samsung SSG5100GB to work! First I sync'd the Xpand-105-RF-1x (beware they arrived with 0% charge, plug the in for 5 min. and they'll sync) so I knew they pj and emmitter were working then tried the Samsungs. Anyway, both of these glasses do work with the new 2014 JVC projectors (I have the RS4910). 3D mode was set to Auto and worked for both types of glasses. I bought 2 pairs of Xpand 105-RFs and 2 pairs on Samsungs, for the kids, for less than 1 pair of JVCs.

Also, these glasses came in the box and were labeled "RF Lite", I only mention this because I passed on several pairs on ebay that were much cheaper, lots of 4-12 pairs for a couple hundred bucks. These should all work. Whether or not they're as bright as the stock JVC ones, we'll see.

Hi,

I also have the RS4910 and would appreciate some advice.

Are these the Samsung glasses you got?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-5100GB-3D-Active-Glasses/dp/B00BIP816Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390569484&sr=8-1&keywords=SSG5100GB

Are these the XPand glasses you got?

http://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390569588&sr=8-1&keywords=Xpand+105-RF

Can you tell any difference between the XPand and the Samsung?

I read that there is a special version of the XPand glasses with horizontal polarization specifically for JVC projectors, is that what you got and is it specifically required? I own a Grandview 1.1 gain mat white screen, not sure if it retains polarization or not.

Thanks for your help. If you can't really see any difference between the samsung and the xpand I'll probably get a bunch of samsungs, at 19$ a piece it's a no brainer. I already got 2 JVC glasses and their emitter for me and my wife, so those will be backup for guests, with them I don't mind being cheap biggrin.gif.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I've watched a few 3D movies now, A-B'ing with the Samsung 5100 and the Xpand 105-RF and there's only a very slight difference in brightness, hard to put a % on it, maybe 10%, but it could be more or less. The only problem I've had with ALL of them was the initial pairing, which only has to be performed the first time and, on every occasion it was due to a dead battery being shipped with the glasses and no instructions that they need to be charged or replaced prior to use (and the LED lights up making me think the battery was fine).

I had the contrast and brightness increase for brighter picture and crosstalk cancel turned all the way up (for extra brightness) and on Animation mode, Standard color, etc. I quickly switched between Xpand and Samsung...a slight decrease in brightness/color shift is all I saw and I mean SLIGHT. My wife couldn't tell the difference. Get the Xpands for yourself and the Samsung for everyone else. Also, get ready for a little eye strain as mh eyes are still tired the next morning (and I don't remember this being the case with IMAX movies). Either way, I paid about the same for these Samsung glasses as I did for one IMAX ticket and I can use these for multiple movies and multiple people plus the save on gas for the 60 mi. trip, concessions, etc. Its a bargain...even though I think the tech will fade over the next few years...its fun for now.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:

I've watched a few 3D movies now, A-B'ing with the Samsung 5100 and the Xpand 105-RF and there's only a very slight difference in brightness, hard to put a % on it, maybe 10%, but it could be more or less. The only problem I've had with ALL of them was the initial pairing, which only has to be performed the first time and, on every occasion it was due to a dead battery being shipped with the glasses and no instructions that they need to be charged or replaced prior to use (and the LED lights up making me think the battery was fine).

I had the contrast and brightness increase for brighter picture and crosstalk cancel turned all the way up (for extra brightness) and on Animation mode, Standard color, etc. I quickly switched between Xpand and Samsung...a slight decrease in brightness/color shift is all I saw and I mean SLIGHT. My wife couldn't tell the difference. Get the Xpands for yourself and the Samsung for everyone else. Also, get ready for a little eye strain as mh eyes are still tired the next morning (and I don't remember this being the case with IMAX movies). Either way, I paid about the same for these Samsung glasses as I did for one IMAX ticket and I can use these for multiple movies and multiple people plus the save on gas for the 60 mi. trip, concessions, etc. Its a bargain...even though I think the tech will fade over the next few years...its fun for now.

Thank you . Can you confirm the amazon links? Would hate to get the wrong model. Also, any info on the horizontal polarization model from XPand?
post #15 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I've watched a few 3D movies now, A-B'ing with the Samsung 5100 and the Xpand 105-RF and there's only a very slight difference in brightness, hard to put a % on it, maybe 10%, but it could be more or less.

I had the contrast and brightness increase for brighter picture and crosstalk cancel turned all the way up (for extra brightness) and on Animation mode, Standard color, etc. I quickly switched between Xpand and Samsung...a slight decrease in brightness/color shift is all I saw and I mean SLIGHT. My wife couldn't tell the difference. Get the Xpands for yourself and the Samsung for everyone else.

Your impressions of the Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses compared to the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses sound nearly identical to what I found comparing the Samsung glasses to the official JVC RF glasses on my X500 when used with a screen that doesn't retain polarization like my Seymour AT screen. The size of the Samsung lenses is smaller though which could be a factor for some.

The links pottscb provided to Amazon are correct for the Samsung glasses and the Xpand glasses without horizontal polarization.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

Your impressions of the Samsung SSG-5100GB glasses compared to the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses sound nearly identical to what I found comparing the Samsung glasses to the official JVC RF glasses on my X500 when used with a screen that doesn't retain polarization like my Seymour AT screen. The size of the Samsung lenses is smaller though which could be a factor for some.

The links pottscb provided to Amazon are correct for the Samsung glasses and the Xpand glasses without horizontal polarization.

How can I tell if my screen retains polarization or not?

Small lenses could be really annoying.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

...The only problem I've had with ALL of them was the initial pairing, which only has to be performed the first time and, on every occasion it was due to a dead battery being shipped with the glasses and no instructions that they need to be charged or replaced prior to use (and the LED lights up making me think the battery was fine)....

I bought about 6 pairs of the Xpand X104 glasses about a year and a half ago for the RS45 and I had similar issues. When you plugged them in they didn't want to charge right away. It was like the had a partial charge and you had to turn them on and discharge them before they would start charging. They are more comfortable than the Sony glasses for my HW50 but the Sony glasses just work all of the time whereas the Xpands just wouldn't want to start charging right away. I bought these glasses when they were first released and I'm hoping I just got a bad batch of them and that the newer X105s are more reliable since I am considering a 4910.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

How can I tell if my screen retains polarization or not?

Small lenses could be really annoying.

There's some good info on screen polarization that I found in this thread. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Samsung lenses are too small, but they are smaller. Here's a few pics showing the difference compared to the JVC PK-AG3 glasses, which as far as I can tell should be identical in size to the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses.

Note the Samsung glasses fit completely inside the frames of the JVC glasses. They are still big enough to cover the viewing area but you have less flexibility in tilting your head up and down if you sit really close to large screens. That said, I still think they are an absolute bargain and work great for guests and children. If I could do it over again, I would buy 2-4 pair of Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses for primary viewers and then as many pairs as needed of the Samsung for additional guests. The Samsung glasses are significantly lighter, don't put as much pressure behind the ears, and tend to fit most smaller heads better given their more flexible frames. I don't wear glasses, but it seems like the JVC/Xpand glasses would work out better for people who do given their larger frames and lenses.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 162
So these XPAND X105-RF-X1 are the same polorization as the official JVC glasses?

http://www.amazon.ca/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA

thanks
post #20 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM

No, I'm pretty certain that the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses being sold on Amazon do not feature horizontal polarization. Allegedly you can order them with those lenses somewhere (perhaps Webmonkey can tell us since he apparently ordered some), but I haven't been able to find out where. I asked Xpand customer support regarding the ones on Amazon and they wouldn't even acknowledge that they could be ordered as such--only JVC glasses they told me.

So, anyone considering them for use with a screen that does retain polarization to a high degree should be aware that they are likely going to lose about 10% of their light when using anything other than the official JVC glasses or the rumored special order lenses for the Xpand models. Xpand also told me that even if this is the case, kids are never going to notice the difference, just those with a critical eye like most on this forum.
odedia likes this.
post #21 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:

There's some good info on screen polarization that I found in this thread. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Samsung lenses are too small, but they are smaller. Here's a few pics showing the difference compared to the JVC PK-AG3 glasses, which as far as I can tell should be identical in size to the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses.

Note the Samsung glasses fit completely inside the frames of the JVC glasses. They are still big enough to cover the viewing area but you have less flexibility in tilting your head up and down if you sit really close to large screens. That said, I still think they are an absolute bargain and work great for guests and children. If I could do it over again, I would buy 2-4 pair of Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses for primary viewers and then as many pairs as needed of the Samsung for additional guests. The Samsung glasses are significantly lighter, don't put as much pressure behind the ears, and tend to fit most smaller heads better given their more flexible frames. I don't wear glasses, but it seems like the JVC/Xpand glasses would work out better for people who do given their larger frames and lenses.

Thanks, yes i've actually seen that thread before, but my screen isn't listed there and to be honest I couldn't quite understand if a higer number means good or bad for the JVC glasses smile.gif I have a grandview screen, it is my understanding that they use the Da-lite 1.0 gain mat white material. Based on that, what does it mean? biggrin.gif
post #22 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

No, I'm pretty certain that the Xpand X105-RF-X1 glasses being sold on Amazon do not feature horizontal polarization. Allegedly you can order them with those lenses somewhere (perhaps Webmonkey can tell us since he apparently ordered some), but I haven't been able to find out where. I asked Xpand customer support regarding the ones on Amazon and they wouldn't even acknowledge that they could be ordered as such--only JVC glasses they told me.

So, anyone considering them for use with a screen that does retain polarization to a high degree should be aware that they are likely going to lose about 10% of their light when using anything other than the official JVC glasses or the rumored special order lenses for the Xpand models. Xpand also told me that even if this is the case, kids are never going to notice the difference, just those with a critical eye like most on this forum.

Could you please confirm with us Webmonkey? or maybe post a link. Thanks.

Looks like my screen is rated 0.5, but thats better then 0.
post #23 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Thanks, yes i've actually seen that thread before, but my screen isn't listed there and to be honest I couldn't quite understand if a higer number means good or bad for the JVC glasses smile.gif I have a grandview screen, it is my understanding that they use the Da-lite 1.0 gain mat white material. Based on that, what does it mean? biggrin.gif

According the listings in that thread, a lower screen polarization rating indicates little to any benefit in using glasses featuring horizontally polarized lenses. If I had to guess, it sounds like your screen material closely aligns to this rated material in the thread:

Manufacturer/Fabric..........................Rated Gain..........Polarization.Rating
Da-lite/Matte White.........................................1.0................ .........0

If that's accurate, it looks like your screen doesn't retain much if any polarization, which means you shouldn't notice much, if any difference between horizontal vs. vertically polarized lenses. Perhaps someone who owns a similar Da-Lite Matte White screen can confirm...
post #24 of 29 Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I bought about 6 pairs of the Xpand X104 glasses about a year and a half ago for the RS45 and I had similar issues. When you plugged them in they didn't want to charge right away. It was like the had a partial charge and you had to turn them on and discharge them before they would start charging. They are more comfortable than the Sony glasses for my HW50 but the Sony glasses just work all of the time whereas the Xpands just wouldn't want to start charging right away. I bought these glasses when they were first released and I'm hoping I just got a bad batch of them and that the newer X105s are more reliable since I am considering a 4910.

I posted my initial x105rf impression on the other 3D glasses thread as well as a blurb on the 57 owners thread but they worked really well with my Seymour AT screen (0 polar), were a very comfortable design with my presc glasses and had a great peripheral view. When compared to my x104 & OEM usb pairs they look identical. No problems at all syncing and the VESA splitter cable had no issues running both RF & IR at the same time.

If the X104's worked well on your 48 you should have no problems with the X105's on the 4910. smile.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 29 Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The only place I know to buy horizontally polarised X105s is in the UK

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=233&type=products

The problem I have with the X105 is that they seem to work their way closer and closer to your forehead and eye lashes as you wear them, due to the springy type side arms. As a result, they seem to need more regular cleaning....
post #26 of 29 Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10

I have ordered 3 of those new X105s optimized for JVC will let you know about its performance

post #27 of 29 Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 AM

Glasses arrived today will test them today and let you know the feedback.

post #28 of 29 Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 AM

Did a test yesterday and I like it, colors are rich, ghost effect is removed by setting Parallax to 0. Glasses itself are very comfortable, better than EPSON EPLGS03 ones, however you need to charge them first, as they are uncharged. 

post #29 of 29 Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Liked: 1
you are right, I found from jvc that it supports both IR and RF emitters. I have IR emitter. They told me that their RF emitter model#PK EM2 works with glasses from JVF PK-AG3. I am guessing they recently started supporting RF since I don't recollect having an option when I bought my emitter.thanks [IMG]http://*******/8e9eFH[/IMG]
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
3d glasses , rf glasses x500r , Xpand X105 Rf X1 Rechargeable 3d Rf Bluetooth Glasses
Gear in this thread - X105 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page