Newbie needing help on projector/screen choice for under 6k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of finishing my basement and will have a rectangle room that is 20 x 40 feet with one half dedicated to a home theatre with projector and 120" screen. The other half will have a pool table. The two areas are separated by a bar. The walls will be tan with the wall having the screen being wood painted white. The ceiling height is 9' and I plan to mount the projector 16' back on the ceiling. The room will have some ambient light as there is a double door from the outside that is all glass. I will have window treatments on it but light will still filter through. The area will be used mostly for watching sports and some movies. I am a total newbie to AV and need some advice on a projector and screen for under 6k total. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you expect to have ambient light and a white wall you'll want to have the brightest picture possible.

I'm thinking Epson 5020 or Sony HW50. The Epson is twice as bright which means it will look 10% brighter, but the Sony has better motion for watching sports.

I would get the projector first and some screen samples before choosing. Just project onto the wall for a while until you figure out the screen.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The Epson 5010, 5020 and the Sony HW50 are the best choices for what you need. Another one is the Benq W7000, which might be better for sports. A screen to look at is the Screen Innovations Black Diamond 1,4. Its good with ambient light. I had a sample and I didn't really care for it, but i don't really need that screen in my theater. It should work for you but they are expensive.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Are the outside doors to the sides of the screen's wall or at the opposite end of the room. If the latter, that is more difficult to deal with since the outside light will be coming essentially from directly behind the projector and a screen with directional characteristics cannot reject light coming from that direction. I agree that the Epson 5020 and 6020 as well as the Sony HW50es would probably be good choices for the projector.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I'd definitely recommend the Sony HW50ES as well. It should be plenty bright at that screen size and to cut down on the ambient light from the back of the room. This would be a good setting to use a Black Diamond 1.4 gain material screen. Another screen option would be a Da-Lite High Power High Contrast screen. This screen is great at dealing with ambient due to it's retro-reflective nature and the grey base helps boost the contrast to alleviate a washed out look ambient light can cause. I would recommend getting a Darbee Darblet to use instead of the built in RC sharpening software. IMO it does such a cleaner, more subtle, and overall better job than Sony's software.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page