Newbie In need of help deciding between the Sony VW95-ES and JVC DLA X55 models. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, first post please go easy on me. have been looking to start a small home theater. looking at a 92" or 100" screen. i have been advised on JVC DLA X55 although this Sony unit appeals to me as well. I understand the JVC has 4K e-shift technology which makes 2D look even better. I am not much of a 3D guy. What would the experts recommend?

Also I understand the replacement for the Sony unit will be coming out this year. Is it known if it Will it offer the same e-shift feature?

Finally, my back wall is 16 feet. Is it reAsonable to go with a 100" screen if I want to put in two rows of seating or will that cause too much eye fatigue. Thanks in advance everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Both of these have been reviewed by Projector Reviews and included in the annual "Best Home Theater Projectors Report" - HERE. Both are very good projectors and each have some different pros and cons. The Sony VW95 was introduced in 2011 and the the JVC X55 a year later in late 2012. Replacements for both models will likely be announced at the CEDIA Expo in late Sept. with the new models shipping in late 2013 or early 2014. Either should work OK with the realatively small screen size you are planning to use. I do not expect to see a Sony model with anything along the lines of JVC's e-Shift but many of us expect Sony to announce at CEDIA in Sept. 2013 a new projector model with native 4K Ultra-HD resolution and compatible with the upcoming native 4K UHD video sources. This 2nd generation 4K UHD projector is predicted, by some, to have a list price of around $12K which would be 1/2 the price of their current 4K model (VW1000es) but about twice the price of the VW95es. Depending on your budget and the timeframe you want to complete your home theater, you might want to consider either holding off a few months to see what is announced at CEDIA (make the projector the last item you purchase for your home theater), or go ahead and purchase a lower priced model such as the Sony VPL-HW50 as a interim solution and then trade up to a 4K Ultra-HD model in a couple of years.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Jvc Dla Rs48 D Ila Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page