Sony 50ES with Anamorphic Lens 2.35:1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I have finally embarked on having a dedicated home theatre room.
Went to my local dealer here in Sydney and they gave me a good price on the equipment i needed. One being the Sony 50ES projector, Screen Innovations 2.35:1 110" Black Diamond 1.4 screen, Cambridge Audio 751BD, and cables/ installation etc.....

So just wondering if i can get some inputs from anyone who has a Sony 50ES projector with an Anamorphic Lens in a 2.35:1 setup. Or any advice for the setup.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj1987 View Post

Hi Guys,

Went to my local dealer here in Sydney and they gave me a good price on the equipment i needed. One being the Sony 50ES projector, Screen Innovations 2.35:1 110" Black Diamond 1.4 screen, Cambridge Audio 751BD, and cables/ installation etc.....

So just wondering if i can get some inputs from anyone who has a Sony 50ES projector with an Anamorphic Lens in a 2.35:1 setup. Or any advice for the setup.

Thanks,
I have the 50es and an isco lens. Really love it and highly suggest you pair the lens with a Cineslide.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Im using a manual lens as the electronic one was a bit too much for me. Am I able to upgrade this later on? Or will I have to get a whole new lens config?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Liked: 19
It probably depends on what lens you have

post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Be careful of your throw distance with this projector/lens setup. Almost tripped me up. The 50EX has a puny zoom ratio (1.6x), which means your projector placement may have to be closer to the screen then you'd like (only 15' throw on a 110" wide x 47" tall 'scope screen for me), and a manual zoom that's going to cause you to have to get up and physically putz with the projector lens every time you change the aspect ratio. Or, you could leave it in place as it's designed to be and suffer the slight distortion & loss of resolution in 16:9 mode.

That's a compromise I wasn't willing to make, so the lens needs to be moved out of the way when you go back to 16:9 content. And it's not made to be used with a sled or other hinging device; you'd have to rig one up or literally remove the lens when you go back to 16:9.

Bottom line, I crossed off this projector/lens combination. If I had a longer throw or a bigger screen, it might have been a different story. Still no electronic zoom, though, and that's a bummer.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Be careful of your throw distance with this projector/lens setup. Almost tripped me up. The 50EX has a puny zoom ratio (1.6x), which means your projector placement may have to be closer to the screen then you'd like (only 15' throw on a 110" wide x 47" tall 'scope screen for me), and a manual zoom that's going to cause you to have to get up and physically putz with the projector lens every time you change the aspect ratio. Or, you could leave it in place as it's designed to be and suffer the slight distortion & loss of resolution in 16:9 mode.

That's a compromise I wasn't willing to make, so the lens needs to be moved out of the way when you go back to 16:9 content. And it's not made to be used with a sled or other hinging device; you'd have to rig one up or literally remove the lens when you go back to 16:9.

Bottom line, I crossed off this projector/lens combination. If I had a longer throw or a bigger screen, it might have been a different story. Still no electronic zoom, though, and that's a bummer.

Thanks archiguy for your comments.

My throw distance is 14', the width of the screen is 257cm, and the height is 109cm (im using a black diamond... the screen code is SBF110BD14), so by your estimates i should be well within a good range for this projector. With the lens it has a knob on the lens which has "wide" and "pass" mode options. Wide to be used when viewing a 2.35:1 movie and pass mode to be used when viewing 16:9 movies. By using the knob it enables the projector to use full resolution and brightness. Im using a lens from the Prismasonic range.

Which screen were you planning on using and lens?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj1987 View Post

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

May I know who's your dealer in Sydney?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I got all my equipment at Lifestyle Store in North Parramatta. Not really a dealer... just a good retailer in my area you could say.

Was really happy with the service. I've been to Lens Wallis in Lane Cove.... and they were crap compared to Lifestyle Store.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page